No announcement yet.

2019 U. S. Open Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watching Berrentini vs Monfils. I really like the Berrentini forehand. Reminds me of Fognini's, very short and powerful, but of course Berrentini is a way bigger guy than Fabio.

Comment

Roger Federer has done it all on the tennis court, except one thing: retire from a match due to injury. If he were ever going to do that, however, Tuesday night in Queens was the time and the place. After the fourth set of his U.S. Open quarterfinal match against 78th-ranked Grigor Dimitrov, Federer had to go to a…

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        Watching Berrentini vs Monfils. I really like the Berrentini forehand. Reminds me of Fognini's, very short and powerful, but of course Berrentini is a way bigger guy than Fabio.
        Yes, it's a good forehand, though I'd like to see a bit more turn sometimes. I have just joined the match in the 4th set.
        Last edited by stotty; 09-04-2019, 01:52 PM.
        Stotty

Comment

Always the bridesmaid never the bride...

I've lost count of the number of times Monfils has folded at the front door of opportunity. What a golden chance he had to make the semis after coming brilliantly from behind on a number of occasions against Berrittini.

Nadal looking strong favourite from here. What are the odds, stroke?
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
            Always the bridesmaid never the bride...

I've lost count of the number of times Monfils has folded at the front door of opportunity. What a golden chance he had to make the semis after coming brilliantly from behind on a number of occasions against Berrittini.

Nadal looking strong favourite from here. What are the odds, stroke?
            Nadal to no one's surprise is a massive favorite to win the tournament at -330. Medvedev +600, Grigor +1000, Berrentini +2600

Comment

Nadal to no one's surprise is a massive favorite to win the tournament at -330. Medvedev +600, Grigor +1000, Berrentini +2600
              Everyone is a favorite until they are not. Nadal seems to be nursing some kind of arm pain. His forehand did not look sharp last night. He is a favorite but if he has two consecutive grueling matches in a row it could be trouble for him.

We have seen 2 of the big 3 go down with injuries. Is Nadal the next?

If so, it would definitely be the first glimpse of things to come...

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

Everyone is a favorite until they are not. Nadal seems to be nursing some kind of arm pain. His forehand did not look sharp last night. He is a favorite but if he has two consecutive grueling matches in a row it could be trouble for him.

We have seen 2 of the big 3 go down with injuries. Is Nadal the next?

If so, it would definitely be the first glimpse of things to come...
                The bottom line is the favorite is whoever the oddmakers say is the favorite. As of now, Nadal is the overwhelming favorite. As Stotty would say, they are a savvy bunch.

Comment

The bottom line is the favorite is whoever the oddmakers say is the favorite. As of now, Nadal is the overwhelming favorite. As Stotty would say, they are a savvy bunch.
                  I think Nadal is a favorite given the circumstances. I guess I wonder if there is something going on with his arm. The irony would be if father time took the entire big 3 out in the same tournament. Nadal has a way of defying the odds and lasting longer than anyone thought he would.

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

I think Nadal is a favorite given the circumstances. I guess I wonder if there is something going on with his arm. The irony would be if father time took the entire big 3 out in the same tournament. Nadal has a way of defying the odds and lasting longer than anyone thought he would.
                    given the # of upsets at the start of the tourney, i was thinking that this year was going to be a transition year for someone new, on both the men & women... but it might just end up with the vets (serena/nadal) showing they are still on top

Comment

Medvedev takes the first set against Dimitrov...a little against the run of play.

I am beginning to like Medvedev. His technique is so peculiar by today's standards. And he's peculiar too.
                      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by nytennisaddict View Post

regarding the ump... whatever... "everyone" "coaches" from the sidelines (hand signals, short verbal cues, etc...)... ramos just wanted to make it about himself... i hope he never umps again.
                        Did the other two officials at the Open last year who also enforced the same no coaching rule also want to make it about themselves? Or were they taking their jobs seriously?

The former top chair umpire and the former head of officiating for the International Tennis Federation said Ramos has been consistent his entire career. I think Serena actions were shameful. 1000% wrong. Its interesting that players like Serena and Kyrgios only blow up and attack the umpire, linesmen and ball boys when they're losing.

Comment

The Story...Roger Federer

In connecting the dots at the 2019 U. S. Open all points still lead to Roger Federer. From my point of view. A strong case can be made for either of the finalists...of course. But neither of them have much of my interest. Daniil Medvedev slightly as he was not only in Federer's half of the draw but he is the last remaining player to have a chance of taking Rafael Nadal out of the tournament. The odds are against it but I can only hope for a miracle. He got his ass handed to him last time he played Nadal in the finals at Montreal. A couple of good things that he took away from that meeting. Number one...he was extremely tired as he has had a most incredible run in the U. S. hard courts making four finals in a row now. Montreal was his second in a row and it came in back to back weeks. By the time he got to the final he was wasted. Nadal was relatively fresh as he had not played the week before. Number two...now Daniil has played Nadal in a final so he knows what to expect. Nadal punished him relentlessly. So now it is a bit more even. Although...Daniil is probably physically exhausted. But he is still alive and he did dispatch with Dimitrov in straight sets. Pretty much no muss...no fuss. Just like he has done all week. On the other hand Nadal has not been pushed. So the question is all about Medvedev. What have you go left? Here is a guy who embarrassed you a couple of weeks ago. Do you have the balls to take it to him tomorrow? He just might. Physically there are some questions.

So what about Dimitrov? I think that he missed a big opportunity to capitalize on his big win against Roger Federer. For Dimitrov to validate his "big comeback" this past two weeks he needed to make a statement to Medvedev which he did not. I wonder how much a factor the injury to Federer had in that match. Roger to his credit did not make a big deal of it and he finished the match like a true sportsman. He doesn't get any brownie points for finishing either...he just earned his pay check which is more than can be said for Novak Djokovic. The big question mark is hanging over Grigor Dimitrov's head. His path to the semi final was more or less smoothed out with the default of Borna Coric. When I saw the draw I thought that it would be a Federer/Coric quarterfinal. I wouldn't have picked Dimitrov to get by Coric. So Dimitrov got through with a relatively nice cake walk with only "The Demon" Alex de Minaur between him and the dream quarter final with Roger. De Minaur took out Nishikori who might have also had a say in the advancement of Dimitrov. So the much ballyhooed resurgence of Dimitrov is just that...a bit of pie in the sky.

Looking back in the draw is always interesting. It's like playing a good golf hole...they recommend that you look back to the tee where it all began once you finish the hole. That way you see it from another perspective.
                          don_budge
                          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Nadal is of course the big favorite at -700. Medvedev is +450(converted to probability, this puts Nadal at 87.5% chance of winning the match). The beat down Nadal put on Medvedev in Montreal is still fresh and we all know Nadal likes to consolidate a good beat down. Nadal's beat down over Medvedev in Montreal was not clinical, not easy on the eye, in was simply brutal. Watching the match, I remember thinking if this was ping pong, it would be like Nadal playing with a sticky foam paddle and Medvedev playing with an old wood rubber paddle. Nadal was sending Medvedev to areas of the court that were a new experience for him. He got to see first hand the Nadal court geometry created by the Nadal hook forehand and he had no answers. Medvedev is a very good player, probably the best over 6'5" mover out there, but that just prolongs his agony vs Nadal. He does not even have a mini tennis drop shot arsenal that can be a nuisance to Nadal. The only chance I see for him other than Nadal getting injured in the match, is to consistently take that Nadal hook forehand to his backhand back down the line very deep(Djokovic at his best the template here and the only player I have seen do it). If he goes back cross court to Nadal, just get ready for a steady barrage of more Nadal forehands.
                            Last edited by stroke; 09-07-2019, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Medvedev isn't favourite but I wouldn't underestimate him or rule him out. When you consider what he has done this summer, it's quite outstanding. He only has one more match to play and he can rally like a demon...plus he may not be as tired as everyone is saying he is. He has that Novak quality of being extremely difficult to put away. The last time he played Nadal was more about a bad day at the office than Nadal be able to play way better.

It's the best result Medvedev getting to the final. Dimitrov would have been toast whereas Medvedev might just do that bit better than people are saying. Fingers crossed we get a decent match.
                              Stotty

Comment

Stotty, I agree. Grigor would have no chance at all.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2660 users online. 7 members and 2653 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X