No announcement yet.

2019 U. S. Open Championships...ATP 2000...New York, New York USA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it me or does Serena just choke to death every time she stands at the door of equaling Margaret Court's 24 grand slam tally?

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
      Is it me or does Serena just choke to death every time she stands at the door of equaling Margaret Court's 24 grand slam tally?
      I think she always “choked”. As McEnroe would say she just chokes more than she used to. That’s why she is no longer a GS champion.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
        The Story...Roger Federer

In connecting the dots at the 2019 U. S. Open all points still lead to Roger Federer. From my point of view. A strong case can be made for either of the finalists...of course. But neither of them have much of my interest. Daniil Medvedev slightly as he was not only in Federer's half of the draw but he is the last remaining player to have a chance of taking Rafael Nadal out of the tournament. The odds are against it but I can only hope for a miracle. He got his ass handed to him last time he played Nadal in the finals at Montreal. A couple of good things that he took away from that meeting. Number one...he was extremely tired as he has had a most incredible run in the U. S. hard courts making four finals in a row now. Montreal was his second in a row and it came in back to back weeks. By the time he got to the final he was wasted. Nadal was relatively fresh as he had not played the week before. Number two...now Daniil has played Nadal in a final so he knows what to expect. Nadal punished him relentlessly. So now it is a bit more even. Although...Daniil is probably physically exhausted. But he is still alive and he did dispatch with Dimitrov in straight sets. Pretty much no muss...no fuss. Just like he has done all week. On the other hand Nadal has not been pushed. So the question is all about Medvedev. What have you go left? Here is a guy who embarrassed you a couple of weeks ago. Do you have the balls to take it to him tomorrow? He just might. Physically there are some questions.

So what about Dimitrov? I think that he missed a big opportunity to capitalize on his big win against Roger Federer. For Dimitrov to validate his "big comeback" this past two weeks he needed to make a statement to Medvedev which he did not. I wonder how much a factor the injury to Federer had in that match. Roger to his credit did not make a big deal of it and he finished the match like a true sportsman. He doesn't get any brownie points for finishing either...he just earned his pay check which is more than can be said for Novak Djokovic. The big question mark is hanging over Grigor Dimitrov's head. His path to the semi final was more or less smoothed out with the default of Borna Coric. When I saw the draw I thought that it would be a Federer/Coric quarterfinal. I wouldn't have picked Dimitrov to get by Coric. So Dimitrov got through with a relatively nice cake walk with only "The Demon" Alex de Minaur between him and the dream quarter final with Roger. De Minaur took out Nishikori who might have also had a say in the advancement of Dimitrov. So the much ballyhooed resurgence of Dimitrov is just that...a bit of pie in the sky.

Looking back in the draw is always interesting. It's like playing a good golf hole...they recommend that you look back to the tee where it all began once you finish the hole. That way you see it from another perspective.
        Medvedev had the game and the attitude to win. He is also resilient and has fought through adversity. Berretini tried to bring Nadal in. Medvedev will and he has the height and serve to bother Nadal. It will all come down to momentum. Berretini could not capitalize on his chances. Daniil just might.

Federer was hurt. PTSD at the US open hit him hard. Borg just walked away from it all. Fed is very brave to keep on fighting.

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
          I think she always “choked”. As McEnroe would say she just chokes more than she used to. That’s why she is no longer a GS champion.
          Bianca Andreescu is the reason that Serena is no longer a Grand Slam champion this week. A heroic, courageous performance in front of the U. S. Open mob. Interesting how this crowd is pulling for the fake "Justice Warrior" and they end up bullying this rather nice, interesting and ultimately talented young lady from Canada. But that's New York for you. You can have it.

When the audience is trying with all of its might to influence the outcome of a match it is time to draw the line. But it will never be done. This is the new normal. It's mob mentality that leads to the winner feeling like she has to apologise for winning. Two years in a row. More tennis metaphoring life. It is a demonic mob out there. Fyodor Dostoyevsky wrote about them back in 1872 in a novel titled "The Possessed". I was amazed at reading it how prophetic it was regarding modern times.

A splendid performance against all odds by the young Romanian/Canadian lady. A real performance by the New York mob. They should be ashamed of themselves but the self righteous mob will cut themselves a pass as they always do. Truly disgusting. Daniil Medvedev put on a wonderful performance when he trolled them all after his win in the quarters. I hope he gets another shot at the mob tonight.
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I wonder why players do not shake hands prior to playing. They come to the net, shake hands with the referee and others, but not with the opponent.

Comment

Bianca Andreescu is the reason that Serena is no longer a Grand Slam champion this week. A heroic, courageous performance in front of the U. S. Open mob. Interesting how this crowd is pulling for the fake "Justice Warrior" and they end up bullying this rather nice, interesting and ultimately talented young lady from Canada. But that's New York for you. You can have it.

When the audience is trying with all of its might to influence the outcome of a match it is time to draw the line. But it will never be done. This is the new normal. It's mob mentality that leads to the winner feeling like she has to apologise for winning. Two years in a row. More tennis metaphoring life. It is a demonic mob out there. Fyodor Dostoyevsky wrote about them back in 1872 in a novel titled "The Possessed". I was amazed at reading it how prophetic it was regarding modern times.

A splendid performance against all odds by the young Romanian/Canadian lady. A real performance by the New York mob. They should be ashamed of themselves but the self righteous mob will cut themselves a pass as they always do. Truly disgusting. Daniil Medvedev put on a wonderful performance when he trolled them all after his win in the quarters. I hope he gets another shot at the mob tonight.
              Great post. So spot on. The Serena love is just so pandering, and Serena is not uncomfortable with that. The enlightened mob is just so progressive thinking. It speaks volumes. Meghan being there to cheer her on could not have been more perfect for what is going on today.
              Last edited by stroke; 09-08-2019, 01:44 PM.

Comment

To absolutely no one's surprise, it appears Nadal is about to be at 19 Majors, one behind Fed. Years ago, I would not have forseen this, but there is definitely now an argument about the best ever. Fed has the weeks at #1, Nadal has the Masters records and the undisputed never to be duplicated King of Clay thing going on. One thing is certain, right now they are the best ever.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                  To absolutely no one's surprise, it appears Nadal is about to be at 19 Majors, one behind Fed. Years ago, I would not have forseen this, but there is definitely now an argument about the best ever. Fed has the weeks at #1, Nadal has the Masters records and the undisputed never to be duplicated King of Clay thing going on. One thing is certain, right now they are the best ever.
                  Not just yet stroke. Medvedev is putting the prima donna on hold. At least momentarily. The skunk uses that towel like a prop. He slows down his opponent just a tad. Interesting post the other day with Neale Fraser and Rod Laver who would have thought in their day that this guy is some sort of skunk also.
                  don_budge

Comment

Not just yet stroke. Medvedev is putting the prima donna on hold. At least momentarily. The skunk uses that towel like a prop. He slows down his opponent just a tad. Interesting post the other day with Neale Fraser and Rod Laver who would have thought in their day that this guy is some sort of skunk also.
                    Yeah...he milks that thing on every single point. It is that same as Sharapova's oscillating decibels with her screaming based on the importance of the point. Gamesmanship. Medvedev is in a position where he is putting more pressure on Nadal than the reverse. Can he sustain it? We are going to find out.

don_budge

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Yeah...he milks that thing on every single point. It is that same as Sharapova's oscillating decibels with her screaming based on the importance of the point. Gamesmanship. Medvedev is in a position where he is putting more pressure on Nadal than the reverse. Can he sustain it? We are going to find out.
                      At four all in the fourth the idiot announcers finally mention the gamesmanship tactics of Nadal in making Medvedev wait. The towel...the ball bouncing on the serve. He is a cheater on every single point. Not blatantly. Not to the average fan in the stands. But to the knowing tennis player...you can see what he is doing. John McEnroe said something about playing to the server's tempo. What a joke. After how many years.

Come on Medvedev.
                      don_budge

Comment

• This is the strongest comeback/fightback effort I have ever seen. Down 2 sets to love in a major vs biggest fighter ever, just so impressive. This is a toss up now.

Comment

• Daniil Medvedev had slowly but surely made inroads on the Nadal serve. He consolidated when the "bell was tolling". At that one point in time when it was all perfectly lined up. What a splendid shot to consolidate the break. Now one set for all of the marbles. The momentum is all Medvedev's. But will the pressure of the moment cause him to balk?

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls...the bell tolls for thee".

Come on Daniil.
                          don_budge

Comment

• More questions about Nadal's stalling.
                            don_budge

Comment

• Medvedev is a stone cold killer, a true street fighter. I hope some other players on the tour are watching what is possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by stroke View Post
                                Medvedev is a stone cold killer, a true street fighter. I hope some other players on the tour are watching what is possible.
                                Mr. Pencil.
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3439 users online. 6 members and 3433 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X