No announcement yet.

2019 Nitto ATP Finals...ATP 1500...London, England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"they don't like each other, why should they" so true db. That is one great quality Stef has, he is completely honest about who he is to me, no airs, even more so maybe than Medvedev. I am certain that loss to Stef here for Alex stung more than most. Nadal, what else can we say about him, or Roger. And the match of the day, Roger has the stand alone game, the tools. Slice the ball short in the court forcing Novak to come forward and make him volley. I still think if he stuck to this strategy from the go, he could frustrate Novak and take away his confidence in what is going on out there. I know it is a tough ask. Novak's rally depth is sometimes beyond belief. If that is going on, it is not really possible to bring him is consistently. I will certainly be watching the match.

Comment

Matteo wins 1st set vs Thiem in tiebreaker. Matteo's rpm's on his forehead the 1st set were the highest(per 1st set stats provided) that I ever seen, including Nadal. It is so compact and brutal

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        "they don't like each other, why should they" so true db. That is one great quality Stef has, he is completely honest about who he is to me, no airs, even more so maybe than Medvedev. I am certain that loss to Stef here for Alex stung more than most. Nadal, what else can we say about him, or Roger. And the match of the day, Roger has the stand alone game, the tools. Slice the ball short in the court forcing Novak to come forward and make him volley. I still think if he stuck to this strategy from the go, he could frustrate Novak and take away his confidence in what is going on out there. I know it is a tough ask. Novak's rally depth is sometimes beyond belief. If that is going on, it is not really possible to bring him is consistently. I will certainly be watching the match.
        It is a fast court so that favors Federer. To me the big 3 look wobbly. Djokovic has his on again off again shoulder. Federer, I think, needs a break. Rafa won agains Medvedev but looked shaky to me.

I feel like next year will be the changing of the guard. This is the first year where the younger players outnumber the older players. Not sure that the big 3 will be able to keep up with them. Thiem in particular looks like he is strong and fit enough to go five sets in a final and play at a very high level for two weeks.

Tonight should be interesting. But my guess is that Djokovic will be too much of a wall for Roger. Unless, his shoulder starts acting up. Then it might a battle that Federer can win.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
          And the match of the day, Roger has the stand alone game, the tools. Slice the ball short in the court forcing Novak to come forward and make him volley. I still think if he stuck to this strategy from the go, he could frustrate Novak and take away his confidence in what is going on out there. I know it is a tough ask. Novak's rally depth is sometimes beyond belief. If that is going on, it is not really possible to bring him is consistently. I will certainly be watching the match.
          Excellent points. All have come into the play in the first game. I also think that Novak is a bit shaky on the backhand when played low with skid. Roger must dominate his service games and not give Novak too many looks at break points. Novak takes care of his serve as well as anyone.
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

The Gold Standard is at his level obviously from the 1st ball. Novak a bit shaky early on but we all know how great Novak is. Just a real treat of a match. To me, early on, what I am seeing from Novak as he takes control of a rally and forces Roger to slightly float the ball, instead of coming forward to finish, he is staying back and just running Roger. Probably a good strategy for Novak.

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
              It is a fast court so that favors Federer.
              Judging by the way Federer's serve is moving through the court...it is fast. Roger is serving lights out. To be continued.

don_budge

Comment

The 1st set was the Gold Standard in full flight. A perfect storm for Fed, to me like Micheal Jordon, looking like no one else ever has, in his perfect conditions, 2 of 3 sets on a fast indoor hard court. And total love/crowd support. As tough an ask for Novak as there as is in tennis, with the exception of Nadal at FO.

Comment

I think Djokovic's shoulder and elbow problems are becoming chronic. Not sure he ever got to 100% and will continue to struggle for some time. Might need surgery in the offseason. We really need one GS with fast courts. The game has become to monolithic with the slow courts and poly strings.

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
                    I think Djokovic's shoulder and elbow problems are becoming chronic. Not sure he ever got to 100% and will continue to struggle for some time. Might need surgery in the offseason. We really need one GS with fast courts. The game has become to monolithic with the slow courts and poly strings.
                    I personally disagree. We have 4 Majors, 2 on hard courts with roofs at times. I do not think an indoor major would be a good thing.

Comment

I like Roger as much as anybody, but I also like Novak. This crowd worship though is almost an unfair advantage. Another thing we will never see again.

Comment

Novak was certainly ready to be done here. The crowd though, I certainly understand the worship/adulation for Roger, but it is almost a bit disrespectful to Novak.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                          Judging by the way Federer's serve is moving through the court...it is fast. Roger is serving lights out. To be continued.
                          Roger just rolled him. Served lights out. Roger Federer vs. Anybody is the match of the day and the crowd treated Djokovic like just anybody. The quickness of the court obviously favoured Roger and he is not known in certain circles as "The Living Proof" for nothing. Only he has the keys to the past of all the players of the present game. It isn't the same and it isn't as good as it was. Roger's rules...speaking of Michael Jordon.
                          don_budge

Comment

Btw...it was the court not the crowd that did Novak Djokovic in tonight. The problem was he couldn't do anything to shut them down...shut them up. On a slower court he can do that. But he couldn't prevent Roger steamrolling him tonight and nothing he did quieted down the crowd. I have said it many times in the past but just to remind anyone reading...Roger on a fast court is going to have his way with Novak every single time. What is more...on a slick grass court and a wooden racquet Novak would have had a difficult time beating anyone in the top one hundred in 1981. He was very uncertain around the net and getting there was impossible. Roger used this area of the court to his advantage.
                            don_budge

Comment

Would absolutely love to see Stefanos Tsitsipas pull off the trifecta tomorrow. The surface might help Tsitsipas more than it would help Nadal. But as we saw against Daniil Medvedev you have to completely sever the head of the snake before you can count it out. Nadal is much the same. He is amazing in his focus and his approach to playing the point in front of him.
                              don_budge

Comment

I would say Roger is the favorite at this point.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8408 users online. 5 members and 8403 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X