Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior kick

Constructive criticism welcomed.
    Last edited by knifer; 12-09-2019, 08:22 PM.

Four months between videos and there are changes. It appears that he has noticeably grown as well. IN the top video he is hitting a more straight forwards "overspin" serve and once again good margin for error with the net begets good depth. Rather smooth deliveries but it is begging for a more finished look.

Below is a motion from some years back. Interesting that Roger's setup has changed some and not for the better to my eye. Here he is starting his racquet in a position where it is almost waist high, which is what I recommend, with his weight positioned forwards and the tip of the racquet pointed towards the target.

This particular serve is for match point. It's an ace and he rockets the second ball into the crowd. As the video initiates his racquet is not pointed directly at his intended target. I would recommend that you get your boy to do just that. Point...aim. Like a rifle. Dead aim.

If you use the right arrow key to click...eight clicks into the motion his racquet tip is pointed down at the ground and his right heel is meeting the earth. Everything is perfectly synched with the racquet head. His weight has transferred at the same rate as his racquet drops into position. Now the hands begin to go upwards but just as importantly they are going away from the body. Up and out. This encourages a very full backswing. The largest arch possible as if in the drawing of a circle with a compass. At 15 clicks in he releases the ball with his tossing hand...perfect timing. Unfortunately we lose the ball but at 21 clicks into the motion the ball is right about at its apex and he is now going to allow his racquet to DROP behind him at freefall speed and then he launches to the ball.

Serving is hugely dependent upon rhythm and Roger has nearly perfect rhythm which is why on match point he can go for the ace. No amount of nerves can alter his swing in the slightest. Imperfect motions are exposed when nerves are the tightest. Perfect motions only get better with he excitement. Frictionless motions are largely dependent upon perfect setup with a perfect backswing. Once you get the ball perfectly tossed into position not much can actually go wrong.

don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Are you posting this because you want feedback and coaching or because you think it's great and want accolades?

I'm confused.

Get the rythmn and lower body sorted out and he will have a solid second serve.

J

Comment

Knifer,

Looks like he could use more pronation--actually internal shoulder arm and racket rotation. Don't worry about Jolly--he's a good guy.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
          Knifer,

Looks like he could use more pronation--actually internal shoulder arm and racket rotation. Don't worry about Jolly--he's a good guy.
          Curious. Perhaps I have misunderstood those concepts. If you slow motion (the "." in youtube) after ball collision with the stringbed it appears that he has both to a significant degree??

Comment

This is strange- I had replaced the video with this one? Is this the one showing up in your Post #1?

Comment

Originally posted by knifer View Post
              This is strange- I had replaced the video with this one? Is this the one showing up in your Post #1?
              It only really becomes visible on a high speed clip, knifer. That is why I re posted your other clip because your son's lack of internal rotation then becomes very evident.

Take a look at this article and look at the very first video in the article. This is what John means by internal rotation.

Not a difficult thing to amend with a player of your son't ability. Give it a go. You could probably get another 10 or 15 mph with luck!
              Stotty

Comment

So this might illustrate my confusion. I thought this showed pronation?
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by knifer View Post
                  So this might illustrate my confusion. I thought this showed pronation?
                  Well he is certainly not doing it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgE0...ature=youtu.be

It's a phase, too, so it's nice to see that whole phase in a slow motion clip as oppose to a photo snap shot. I am still not convinced at this point he has correct internal rotation. I think the snap shot might be misleading.
                  Stotty

Comment

In the stills it appears he may have some but it's not happening at the right time in the motion. Arm should be more straight ahead at prob about a 45-60 angle to baseline.

Comment

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                      In the stills it appears he may have some but it's not happening at the right time in the motion. Arm should be more straight ahead at prob about a 45-60 angle to baseline.
                      Yes. The still photo is misleading. Always good to see the whole phase in my view.
                      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Well he is certainly not doing it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgE0...ature=youtu.be

It's a phase, too, so it's nice to see that whole phase in a slow motion clip as oppose to a photo snap shot. I am still not convinced at this point he has correct internal rotation. I think the snap shot might be misleading.
                        That's what is confusing me- that's the old video I replaced with a better one, but it appears to still be popping up. The new video has a light blue shirt and white hat, not a dark shirt and red hat. That's why I was wondering if you were seeing the same video I posted.

I want to learn and am open to debate- its just that I don't know why the old video is the subject instead of the new one.

With the new video, the racket actually finishes and stays to the right of his body, so there necessarily must be pronation and ISR.

My youtube username links to tons of his serves.

Sorry for being tedious.
                        Last edited by knifer; 12-11-2019, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Try starting a new thread with the new video

Comment

I need to get the moderator to delete this one! I don't know how.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8121 users online. 5 members and 8116 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X