No announcement yet.

Rotterdam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooops...Khachanov broken again. So frustrated now. He came to the net twice on in his service game and lost both points. Evans has completely taken him out of his robotic comfort zone. Now he just has to serve out the match at 4-1. What a lesson. Textbook.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

FAA is going to be a very tough out. Looking very good.

Comment

Stefanos Tsitsipas and Daniil Medvedev both crashing out of the tournament losing to players ranked much lower than them. Consistency is the hallmark of a great champion and it doesn't just happen over night. More often than not it is forged in the fire and what a long process this can be. Tsitsipas didn't seem to care a great deal about his loss which might on face value look to be disappointing. But in reality it is a meaningless loss to him compared to the time it will give him to further prepare for the future. Same for Medvedev. It's a business and these guys are banking on work in the gym and work on their conditioning among other business interests. It is hard to tell sometimes with these guys. I have been saying for a very long time that modern tennis begins to look more and more like Big Time Wrestling. Just think of the money that might have been made for those betting on either of their lesser ranked opponents.

Speaking of style. What style of player are you? Forget about it. Style is a very small part of the game today. Just take a look at the clothes these guys are wearing. The new Nike pattern is just horrible. Complete with matching wrist bands. On the other hand Stefanos took a step in the right direction with his attire. He looks just a tad cleaner and better dressed with the button. What does he have against a collar?
        don_budge

Comment

The Nike tennis clothes do not seem to be trending in a good direction. There will be no hipsters wearing that stuff decades later a la the classic Ivan Lendl shirts.

Comment

Match of the Day...Roger Federer vs. Anybody

Whoops...I guess that never changes. Even when he isn't in the draw. So when he isn't in the draw look for something that most imitates what Roger has meant for tennis. Today look no further than Daniel Evans. glacierguy and I had this discussion regarding our mutual admiration for the plucky nature of Evans and his tactical acumen.

Seriously coaches...more that half of the scope of this game is in the tactics. If you play the two handed backhand with a strong grip forehand your options are limited. That's ok...you are not alone. Most of the tennis population has been lulled to sleep with the brainwashing and culture of what passes for tennis nowadays. But on the contraire...there is little Daniel Evans playing the role of the giant killer. He took down one big lug the other night. stroke admires the big forehand of Karen Khachanov and Evans was having none of it. He carved up the backhand of Khachanov and it opened up the entire court with possibilities. Once you get the opponent trying to dig that ball out of the pavement with that exaggerated western grip on low skidding balls short in the court you have a big tactical opportunity to take control of the point. Control is what this game is all about. If you control the ball you can control your opponent. If you can control your opponent then you can control the match. See what I mean?

That brings us to the match of the day at the Rotterdam tournament. Gael Monfils versus Daniel Evans. Monfils won their only contest in a close three setter. Hard to believe that a guy of such a small stature can man up and play Monfils. But this guy is clever and he knows there are spots on the court where the over powering opponent can be neutralised...or neutered. And Evans has the variety of shot to find those spots. He has to work his opponent and cause him to make a few mistakes and then he has set the hook. Now he goes to work exploiting the weakness to erode the confidence of the bigger and stronger opponent. If you cannot out slug them...then out think them.

That match against the Russian the other night was a classic lesson out of the don_budge play book. Let's see if Mr. Evans can keep that nose to the grindstone now that he has it out of the nose candy.
            don_budge

Comment

I kinda like the big lugs, probably cause I am kinda one myself ha

Comment

Yes, I am looking forward to Dan Evans vs Gael Monfils, both of whom I admire, but I'm rooting for Evans. Starts in about 10 mins.

Comment

Daniel Evans with a chance to win the set and all he has to do is serve it out. He misses four first serves and loses the game at love. Trying for too much? Hurrying to get the horse in the barn? His motion is less that what I would call perfect and when things are tight this is when the "friction" shows up. Now he serves to stay in the set. Another missed first serve...love-15.
                  don_budge

Comment

What a win Krajinovic. He zoned out from the 1st set on vs Rublev, who is a easy top 10 player right now. Rublev did not go away at all to his credit. I like FAA to win this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                      What a win Krajinovic. He zoned out from the 1st set on vs Rublev, who is a easy top 10 player right now. Rublev did not go away at all to his credit. I like FAA to win this thing.
                      Good win...good that Rublev didn't prematurely cash in his chips. If he is going to be top ten as you surmise he had better learn to fight to the bitter end. Not only fight but keep his cool. I am certain that it was a backcourt fest...the kind of match I find to be utterly unwatchable. Not that I cannot appreciate a good ground stroke. It is only that tennis was so much more than that. I cannot quell my expectations of the game. I used to absolutely love the game without compare.

Be that as it may...I love that expression. It sounds so wistful. So poetic. But the match of the day was as I predicted...Daniel Evans versus Gael Monfils. Oh how he tested Gael's patience. His resolve. Evans had the first set on his racquet but he blinked. He flinched. The friction in his service motion reared it's ugly head and the rhythm absolutely deserted him. He missed four first serves in a row when four in would have probably done the trick. Big lesson out there all of you tennis coaches.

So he had his chances in the tie-break but they don't call him "The Amazing Mr. Monfils" for nothing. Gael kept his cool. More than that he was having a good time. Smiling and sometimes even laughing at the most important point of the set. You cannot teach that. Relaxed under pressure. He is amazing. The natural feline athletic prowess. The court is just a motion puzzle to him. Why think about it? When you can feel it.

I wonder when the last time there were two black tennis players in the final of an ATP 500 event. Felix Auger-Aliasimme has that same feline grace. He has a bit of chink in his armour with regard to the serve. I wonder how that would hold up. But both guys have another match to play and nothing can be taken for granted. Take a lesson from Daniel Evans. He played that first set beautifully. He was a virtuoso. All he had to do is serve it out. As I explained a thousand times to you and others...this is a very tricky point of the match. Getting that infernal horse in the barn. Sometimes it just doesn't want to go in. Like Evans first serve.
                      don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
                        Yes, I am looking forward to Dan Evans vs Gael Monfils, both of whom I admire, but I'm rooting for Evans. Starts in about 10 mins.
                        "The Amazing Mr. Monfils".
                        don_budge

Comment

Monfils is playing more under control it seems. His head to head vs Rafa, 2-14, vs Novak 1-16, vs Fed 4-10.

Comment

Monfils is a slight favorite over FAA. I do not bet, but I really like FAA here.

Comment

Well that's 40 mins I could have used more profitably... 1st set 6-2.

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
                                Well that's 40 mins I could have used more profitably... 1st set 6-2.
                                Do you mean like taking a nap?
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8050 users online. 4 members and 8046 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X