No announcement yet.

Western and Southern Masters 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Struff and Goffin in a very well played match. Great win for Struff over Goffin. Tough loss for Goffin in playing very well in a loss, just as FAA and Fritz yesterday. Murray has had 2 wins in 2 not well played matches to me, but there he is. A lot to be said for that.

Comment

Djokovic is saying the courts are "20-30% faster than last year". Meanwhile, BG posted that the stadium is slower and that's where Djokovic is going to play all his matches. Did anyone hear anything specific to this? I assume they can't resurface before the USOpen so these courts would only get faster with wear and multiple power-washings?

Comment

Anyone see Thiem get steam rolled in straight sets? Were supposedly quick courts a factor?

Comment

I did not see the match, wish I had as I too was surprised at the abruptness off his loss. I do think his forehand is a liability at this level on a fast hard court. As Brian Gordon might say, "I would not teach it to my students".

Comment

RBA with a very workmanlike win over Khachanov. RBA is kind of like the gatekeeper to the very top of the game, a very professional tough tough out.

Comment

Opelka super impressive dismissing Berrenttini in 2 sets looking every bit a contender to win this thing. Albeit vs servebot, it would not be exactly Fed vs Nadal intrigue.

Comment

Novak is looking as solid as ever. 4-3 up but 0-40 down in the second set but turns the game round and walks away with a routine win. It's so nice to watch tennis again. Novak and Medvedev might be intriguing if it were to come about.
                Stotty

Comment

Raonic wins the 1st set vs Murray 6-2 with a lot is service winners and I think 1 nap. We will see about the 2nd.

Comment

Watched just a bit of Medvedev. I still think the most exciting thing about this tournament is the players managing their own towels. This is quite a breakthrough for the boys. I'm serious.
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I'm enjoying towel management too. But I think a further improvement would be using two colours, one per player to avoid mixups.

Could only stand Murray/Raonic for 20mins.

Comment

The quarters look interesting. I would think RBA and Opelka are the most likely to pull an upset.

Comment

Stefanos Tsitsipas...in the Driver's Seat

Whether he likes it or not Stefanos Tsitsipas is not officially in the driver's seat as the heir apparent to "The Living Proof" in the don_budge paradigm for tennis coaching. Dominic Thiem has demonstrated as to why he is not with a rather lacklustre exit from the Western & Southern tennis championships with a no show performance against Filip Krajinovic. Stefanos must feel like he is playing in the land of the giants as his first match was against long and tall Kevin Anderson. Next he faced an even taller John Isner and now he is up against a favorite of stroke's...Reilly Opelka. Come on Stefanos...tell me it isn't going to happen. Tsitsipas went to two tie-breaks against long tall Johnny and he might just settle for the same against the third bot in a row. The serve bot. Who knows...if he wins this he might just be facing Milos Raonic. The combined length of the four opponents might just be a record for playing the tallest in the draw.

A Medvedev/Djokovic semifinal is a must for this snooze fest of a tourney. It is being shown on EuroSport over here and while each evening I have beamed on to the site...each evening I never lasted more than five minutes. Except for maybe Anderson/Tsitsipas. Boring. Capital B. If it plays to a match between Tsitsipas against either Djokovic or Medvedev it might just be able to salvage some face.
                          don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                            Stefanos Tsitsipas...in the Driver's Seat

Whether he likes it or not Stefanos Tsitsipas is not officially in the driver's seat as the heir apparent to "The Living Proof" in the don_budge paradigm for tennis coaching. Dominic Thiem has demonstrated as to why he is not with a rather lacklustre exit from the Western & Southern tennis championships with a no show performance against Filip Krajinovic. Stefanos must feel like he is playing in the land of the giants as his first match was against long and tall Kevin Anderson. Next he faced an even taller John Isner and now he is up against a favorite of stroke's...Reilly Opelka. Come on Stefanos...tell me it isn't going to happen. Tsitsipas went to two tie-breaks against long tall Johnny and he might just settle for the same against the third bot in a row. The serve bot. Who knows...if he wins this he might just be facing Milos Raonic. The combined length of the four opponents might just be a record for playing the tallest in the draw.

A Medvedev/Djokovic semifinal is a must for this snooze fest of a tourney. It is being shown on EuroSport over here and while each evening I have beamed on to the site...each evening I never lasted more than five minutes. Except for maybe Anderson/Tsitsipas. Boring. Capital B. If it plays to a match between Tsitsipas against either Djokovic or Medvedev it might just be able to salvage some face.
                            I feel bad for Tsitsipas having to face the servebot gauntlet of Anderson, Isner, Opelka, and Raonic on these faster courts. That being said, his game is also made for the faster surfaces and you have to like his chances if he is able to beat Opelka and Raonic. Has there been any official measurements of court speed done?
                            Last edited by rthodges; 08-26-2020, 08:21 AM.

Comment

I just noticed the "Black Lives Matter" sign. The psy-op continues.
                              don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                                I just noticed the "Black Lives Matter" sign. The psy-op continues.
                                Is the ATP caving in to this? How pathetic.

don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3153 users online. 10 members and 3143 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X