No announcement yet.

ATP Finals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This next match Medvedev vs Diego is not a factor in the final 4. Surprisingly to me, oddsmakers have Medvedev as a slight favorite in tomorrow's match vs Nadal. Medvedev getting a lot of respect there. That should be a good one. I don't think there is a chance of either player not being totally interested.
    Last edited by stroke; 11-20-2020, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
      This next match Medvedev vs Diego is not a factor in the final 4. Surprisingly to me, oddsmakers have Medvedev as a slight favorite in tomorrow's match vs Nadal. Medvedev getting a lot of respect there. That should be a good one. I don't think there is a chance of either player not being totally interested.
      If I were a betting man, I would have to put my money on Rafa. He can rally for Spain and his shot tolerance is as high (probably higher) as anyone's. Tricky for Medvedev to stand way back behind the baseline with the angles Rafa can get. I'm really looking forward to both semi finals, both will be top drawer.
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

If I were a betting man, I would have to put my money on Rafa. He can rally for Spain and his shot tolerance is as high (probably higher) as anyone's. Tricky for Medvedev to stand way back behind the baseline with the angles Rafa can get. I'm really looking forward to both semi finals, both will be top drawer.
        Copy that Stotty. Very interesting stuff. As far as shot tolerance, yes Nadal has redefined a "winner" to me. He hits what I would call "almost winners" all day without really taking much risk. I would call his game unique, stand alone. As his FO record will also be forever, stand alone.
        Last edited by stroke; 11-20-2020, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Thiem v Djokovic

Overwhelming power from Dominic clinches the first set for him. Novak is going to have strike the ball harder and start moving Dominic around a bit more. No more 'steady Eddy' stuff. It just won't cut it against against the Austrian in full flow.

Two players can hit Novak off the court: Thiem and Wawrinka. Let's hope Novak steps on the gas and makes a real match of it.

I don't like the way Novak hits down the line on his forehand to approach the net. He has a forehand that just sits up to be hit unless thumps it harder. It's a really dangerous ploy against Dominic.
          Stotty

Comment

I had been watching a match between Novak Djokovic and Dominic Thiem today and it was a rather unimpressive match in terms of anything resembling entertainment. The lack of a crowd has been particularly worrisome at the O2 this year because a number to the matches were obvious tanks as the players jockeyed for position to place in the semifinals.

I noticed that both players were first serving at about 123 miles per hour consistently but the noticeable difference was in the second serving. Novak serving at an astoundingly slow 85 miles per hour while Thiem seemed to be right around 107 or so. Novak Djokovic is the number one ranked player in the world but he does not possess anything that remotely resembles a successful and efficient combination of approach shots and finishing volleys. He rather meekly approached the net behind lame approach shots only to see Dominic get the ball down at Novak's feet to get Novak to meekly volley up for Thiem to finish. This is the the Greatest Player of All Time. On a fast surface he would have been cat food for the majority of the players in the 1984 draw at the U. S. Open or any of the other Slams for that matter.

It is possible that Thiem is slowly acquiring an advantage in the legs department as he seems to get stronger at the match goes on whereas Djokovic becomes less and less authoritative. I actually left the match to catch up on some developments in the 2020 Presidential election. Much more entertaining. I wonder who won the first set.
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

The Sneer Factor...an especially poorly played tie-break

After Djokovic lost the first point in the second set tie-break he started twirling his racquet around and flipping it in the air over and over. I almost took that to be a concession. It was a strange display coming from him. I had never seen him do it before.

It was in my estimation a terribly played tie-break by both players. Thiem served for the match and double faulted. Djokovic almost looked lethargic at one point throwing in a 107 mph first serve. The female Swedish announcer on Eurosport is doing her best to keep this match alive by interjecting with a shrill voice exclamations of excellence which just are not there. Non existent. The third is going to be interesting. The only thing holding my interest in this match is a pizza that is just about ready to be served. That will be washed down by a good old All-American...Coca Cola!
              don_budge

Comment

Not sure Novak had any right to win that second set. Thiem has been serving so well..hitting wide serves and only sparingly down the middle, good ploy. I'm not a fan of 'bludgeoning' tennis but Thiem seems to have it down to a fine art. Thiem has been the dominant player so far and really should win if he can keep it going...it only takes a blip though.
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                  The Sneer Factor...an especially poorly played tie-break

After Djokovic lost the first point in the second set tie-break he started twirling his racquet around and flipping it in the air over and over. I almost took that to be a concession. It was a strange display coming from him. I had never seen him do it before.

It was in my estimation a terribly played tie-break by both players. Thiem served for the match and double faulted. Djokovic almost looked lethargic at one point throwing in a 107 mph first serve. The female Swedish announcer on Eurosport is doing her best to keep this match alive by interjecting with a shrill voice exclamations of excellence which just are not there. Non existent. The third is going to be interesting. The only thing holding my interest in this match is a pizza that is just about ready to be served. That will be washed down by a good old All-American...Coca Cola!
                  I forgot to mention the whole point to my post..."The Sneer Factor". Djokovic finally had that Robert DiNero sneer at set point in the second. The only time I saw it. Btw...Thiem just sealed the deal. A bit of a snoozer despite the score. The third set tie-break was played very poorly by Djokovic who was up 4-0 before losing it 7-4. Not a well played match and the takeaway was the mediocre quality of the Djokovic approach game and net play.
                  don_budge

Comment

Thiem hit 50 winners with about 37 unforced errors. Pretty impressive in my book vs Novak. Novak had something like 22 winners and 27 unforced errors. Not his top shelf game but all credit to Thiem in my book. The match of the day(to me) still to come. Both want it very badly.

As far as a changing of the guard, to me the change will not be done and dusted until a couple of FO's go by that Nadal does not win.
                    Last edited by stroke; 11-21-2020, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Novak never looked in control of the outcome until midway through the third set. Then he started to look really in control and somewhat akin to his old self. It looked all done and dusted in the tiebreak until Novak blipped on his first serve and Thiem got into rallies off Novak's pushy second serve...a few howitzers later and it was all over. I think Novak felt it was in the bag.

Novak's net game was even worse than usual today...woeful. He never really nailed his backhand down the line the entire match either, and his second serve went missing. Good match tactically by Thiem. He really hit the spots on his serve which allowed him to dictate much of the time. By the third set however Novak was returning far more and had found his accuracy. That's when I thought he had turned it round.

Full credit to Thiem. That was as brave a finish as you are ever going to see.

Next instalment is in two hours time.
                      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

I forgot to mention the whole point to my post..."The Sneer Factor". Djokovic finally had that Robert DiNero sneer at set point in the second. The only time I saw it. Btw...Thiem just sealed the deal. A bit of a snoozer despite the score. The third set tie-break was played very poorly by Djokovic who was up 4-0 before losing it 7-4. Not a well played match and the takeaway was the mediocre quality of the Djokovic approach game and net play.
                        I think the takeaway from this tournament for me has been..the doubles. Big surprise. The action is much better and here is the surprise factor. Not having watched much doubles in years as it isn't televised or covered as much as the media darling "Big Four" or whatever that has morphed into...it is rather interesting. For one thing the play is much quicker and that goes with putting the ball in play. No bouncey...bouncey...bouncey pre-serve routines. No need for a shot clock here as the players maintain an excellent pace of play. Quick and snappy. Here's another thing...the service motions actually look better in general with the doubles players. Serve plays a big factor in doubles with a higher premium on first serve percentage...and service return for that matter. The last observation is the volleying. These guys can all volley. Much more tactical play. Lobs. Angles.

Very interesting.
                        don_budge

Comment

DB, I agree with your observations on the doubles, as you say generally. It comes down to movement, or lack of top shelf movement. That is why they are playing doubles. Rajeev Ram has long been the gold standard of doubles players to me. Also, fitness level requirements for top level doubles and top level singles are night and day. I think personally doubles players get on with it serve wise at such an abbreviated clip comes down to the physical requirements cavern. Doubles players do not get winded ha.

Comment

This 1sr set a Nadal classic. He had to work unbelievably hard to hold serve his first 4 service games. to 4-3 in 1st set. At 3-4 with Medvedev serving, Nadal makes the extra effort to hit all forehands, which to me is the single best non serve shot ever in tennis. He breaks, to go up 5-4, serves it out then to win 6-4.
                            Last edited by stroke; 11-21-2020, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                              This 1sr set a Nadal classic. He had to work unbelievably hard to hold serve his first 4 service games. to 4 all in 1st set. At 4 all with Medvedev serving, Nadal makes the extra effort to hit all forehands, which to me is the single best non serve shot ever in tennis. He breaks, to go up 5-4, serves it out then to win 6-4.
                              Spot on. How Rafa weathered those first 5 or 6 games god only knows. Medvedev made Rafa look half a step slow for a while. Great use of the sliced backhand to kill the pace and get Medvedev digging the garden a bit. It's not over yet, however, if Medvedev can recapture his early form at the start of the first.
                              Stotty

Comment

One set each. It's amazing how easily Medvedev can overwhelm Rafa at times. Rafa may find himself hanging in again here.
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7752 users online. 8 members and 7744 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X