No announcement yet.

ATP Finals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All credit to Medvedev. He cut the head off the snake. He physically bested Nadal.

Comment

Changing of The Guard?

So both Novak and Rafa take a tumble, as many pundits over here predicted, in the semis. The papers here are rife it's a sign there is a changing of the guard afoot, finally. Thiem and Novak could have gone either way but it's clear Thiem has he guns to defeat Novak and he will only get more confident from now onwards he can repeat that. Medvedev positively outclassed Rafa (and Novak) at times and showed he could overwhelm the pair of them and even make them look a step slower. It was disappointing to see Rafa peter out so tamely in the end. He lost a lot of power on his backhand drive and I wondered if there was a physical problem there,

Changing of the guard? To do that Medvedev and Thiem will have to show they can produce that form week in week out, 365 days a year. I don't think Novak and Rafa are finished yet, but I do think it will get much harder for them from hereon in.
      Stotty

Comment

Finally...

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Oops...I left Ram and Salisbury just a bit too soon. They seemed to be up comfortably in the super tie-break but Melzer and company overtook them. I'll tell you what...I certainly enjoyed some of the doubles actions compared to the singles. It certainly beats the dull, monotonous and mind-numbing backcourt play. The singles players look like rank amateurs once they cross the rubicon into the forecourt. Novak looks like a fish out of water in particular. Clueless. Befuddled. Yet there are some who will say that this is one of the greatest players of all time. Well he is good. Certainly one of the best in this post modern era of tennis. But he is good only under a specific set of conditions. The hallmark of a great tennis player USED to be the ability to adapt to all conditions. The ability to adapt.

Rajeev and Joe certainly were one of the best TEAMS in this tournament. The element of teamwork certainly adds to the interest/entertainment factor. I bit less selfish than the self absorbed endless bouncing of the tennis ball and the mobbing of the ball kids. It was almost like a trip back in time watching two one-handed backhands playing on the same side of the court. Pretty good volleys all around. Great use of the lob and smash ability was tested often. Super service returns. Excellent tactical play. All of the things lacking in the singles game. Take note powers that be. All of the engineering and monkeying around with the equipment and court surfaces has conjured up a sterile facsimile of the original. Time to go backwards through the portal of time. Make Tennis Great Again. MTGA...you heard it first here. Courtesy of don_budge. Tennis metaphoring life...the red thread of connecting dots.
          don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
            All credit to Medvedev. He cut the head off the snake. He physically bested Nadal.
            Actually it's a skunk. But most importantly...it was neutered. Balls surgically removed. Credit to Daniil...aka Mr. Pencil.
            don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
              Actually it's a skunk. But most importantly...it was neutered. Balls surgically removed. Credit to Daniil...aka Mr. Pencil.
              Another match I opted out of early. Medvedev was down a set and up a break in the second. Nadal broke back and the prospect of watching this imbecile prevail sent me diving for the comfy pillow and a good night's sleep. That was a good decision anyways. I like this guy...Mr. Pencil. He and Dominic should have a fun time duking it out today. Thiem beat him at the U. S. Open on route to his maiden Slam and Medvedev beat him in straight sets the time before. Advantage who?

It's a toss up. Both are locked and loaded after eliminating the fading dreams of great players past. Thiem cold cocked Djokovic and should have taken him out in straight sets. But he dragged it out and this might actually play into his favour with the additional pressure of the third set. Same with Medvedev...the three set come from behind will do nothing but install confidence and belief. The quality of play in this final might not be as high if the other two had made it through due to the unusual event of playing someone other than one of the "Big Three or Four" in the final of a major event. However they are going to have to get used to it quickly as they are quickly assuming respective positioning of members of elite status. It is fitting that it these two have navigated the field to the finals. Tsitsipas and Zverev lagging behind a bit but closing.

A breath of fresh air. No bouncey...bouncey...bouncey during the endless service games. Just put the damn ball in play. Nice job guys. Let's see what they can conjure up for entertainment and quality of play.

don_budge

Comment

Oddmakers have Medvedev as the favorite with about a 58% chance of winning. That is not surprising as Medvedev was favored vs Nadal. Medvedev is getting a lot of respect from the oddsmakers.

Comment

Oddmakers have Medvedev as the favorite with about a 58% chance of winning. That is not surprising as Medvedev was favored vs Nadal. Medvedev is getting a lot of respect from the oddsmakers.
                  Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                  Another match I opted out of early. Medvedev was down a set and up a break in the second. Nadal broke back and the prospect of watching this imbecile prevail sent me diving for the comfy pillow and a good night's sleep. That was a good decision anyways. I like this guy...Mr. Pencil. He and Dominic should have a fun time duking it out today. Thiem beat him at the U. S. Open on route to his maiden Slam and Medvedev beat him in straight sets the time before. Advantage who?

It's a toss up. Both are locked and loaded after eliminating the fading dreams of great players past. Thiem cold cocked Djokovic and should have taken him out in straight sets. But he dragged it out and this might actually play into his favour with the additional pressure of the third set. Same with Medvedev...the three set come from behind will do nothing but install confidence and belief. The quality of play in this final might not be as high if the other two had made it through due to the unusual event of playing someone other than one of the "Big Three or Four" in the final of a major event. However they are going to have to get used to it quickly as they are quickly assuming respective positioning of members of elite status. It is fitting that it these two have navigated the field to the finals. Tsitsipas and Zverev lagging behind a bit but closing.

A breath of fresh air. No bouncey...bouncey...bouncey during the endless service games. Just put the damn ball in play. Nice job guys. Let's see what they can conjure up for entertainment and quality of play.
                  I like those odds stroke. That is about what it feels like to me based upon the fact that given both players are about even in terms of ability it comes down to a matter of motivation and who wants it more. Basically it feels like Dominic Thiem has the bigger target on his back so Daniil has more to shoot for. Thiem has won his first Slam and there now becomes a time when he is the prized trophy. When a player beats him now they can say to themselves that they are Grand Slam Champion material. Although his Slam has more than a bit of asterisk surrounding it because of the odd conditions and most notably Djokovic's disqualification. But under these circumstances this knife can surely cut both ways.

From Thiem's point of view he must develop a supreme confidence from his Slam triumph that says to him that he deserves this and if he plays to his potential the trophy is his to lose. So this is basically a toss up and depending upon your perspective the favourite is anybody's guess. This match will be entertaining...at least more entertaining than the usual. Now it is two different players in the final of a big event even though two of the old guard WERE present and accounted for. The contrast of player game style is a different look as well. Thiem has established himself from the rest of the wannabe's and Medvedev is hungry to join him. Zverev and Tsitsipas are big pieces to this new puzzle as well. Zverev having won this event and Tsitsipas being the only player with a dash of Federer's personna. What is the word for that? Charisma.

Thiem doesn't have that much charisma but he is a very nice young man. Medvedev has a bit more because of his potentially abrasive nature at times but he lacks the physical appearance and the elegant style to boot. Let's see what kind of spectacle these two can create. The rest of the tournament was so forgettable as they jockeyed for position to make the semifinals and the semifinal matches were pretty much duds. The Djokovic vs. Thiem match surely was. My wife and I were watching it at one point I said to here that it wasn't a particularly well played match.
                  don_budge

Comment

Excellent doubles final.
                    don_budge

Comment

If I had to bet, I would go with Thiem. I think the premium is being paid for the Medvedev bet.

Comment

If I had to bet, I would go with Thiem. I think the premium is being paid for the Medvedev bet.
                        I would be surprised if Medvedev doesn't win. He's been the best player in the tournament so far. Time will tell...Medvedev wins the first game...
                        Stotty

Comment

Paper thin margains on a very good set by both players. Thiem wins it with one break.

Comment

Solid first set from Thiem. Poor set from Medvedev. He needs to improve his first serve percentage and get his forehand going...forehand return has been awful so far. He needs to find better form and quick.
                            Stotty

Comment

I was wrong in a way earlier post about no players in this field having a particularly good slice backhand. Thiem certainly does. Shotspot stats just showed the average rpm's on the slices in this match and Thiem's is top shelf. The commentators also noted how Thiem is really knifeing them.

Comment

Yes it's a vastly improved shot of Thiem's and a great weapon against Medvedev.
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7656 users online. 6 members and 7650 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X