Volleying - Chalk and Cheese.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Using wooden rackets during given development stages of juniors is such a good thing to do. You simply cannot get away with being lazy with wood. You have to watch the ball much better and get down to low shots in a way people sometimes opt not to with modern rackets because they can get away with it. I once played for a month with a wooden racket and when I reverted back to my Babolat Aero I hit the ball so well it was amazing. This is because I had to work so much harder with wood in every aspect and it really honed parts of my game and my timing became vastly improved.

I will look forward to your article...
    Just practicing volleying with a wooden racquet may be a bit eye opening, the weight of a wood racquet is a much more substantial feel vs a modern racquet, unless one is using a racquet such a the Fed racquet, which coincidentally is weighted just about like the specs Fed has always played with(and not far from a wood racquet).

Comment

I learnt with wooden racquets, and somewhere on this site read advice on volleying which was to imagine striking three balls in a row. This advice is absolutely the way to hit classic volleys in my opinion. HOWEVER, given what we know about classic slice vs extreme slice, are the kids who hit sharply chopping down volleys onto something? Does extreme oncoming topspin necessitate a steeper volley swing?

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

Just practicing volleying with a wooden racquet may be a bit eye opening, the weight of a wood racquet is a much more substantial feel vs a modern racquet, unless one is using a racquet such a the Fed racquet, which coincidentally is weighted just about like the specs Fed has always played with(and not far from a wood racquet).
        When one plays with a wooden racket these days it seems remarkable we all managed to play quite so well with one. When I force one of my performance players (yes I force them) to play with a wooden racket against another member of the squad who plays with a modern racket, they lose 6-0 every time. Even the best player in the squad loses 6-0. That's how big the gulf is between wood and modern...huge.

I liked the game best around the late 80's. The rackets and strings offered more versatility and power than wood without being too overwhelming in the ground shot department. All round tennis was at it's best around then.

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by glacierguy View Post
          HOWEVER, given what we know about classic slice vs extreme slice, are the kids who hit sharply chopping down volleys onto something? Does extreme oncoming topspin necessitate a steeper volley swing?
          Interesting question. I'm not sure if any research has been done in that field. Personally, I don't see any need to chop down on volleys in the modern game. Volleying is the one stroke in tennis that, technically, from a teaching standpoint, hasn't changed. John may have noticed technical changes on the volley perhaps that I haven't. I just see a dramatic deterioration in volleying standards rather than technical changes.

Stotty

Comment

Here are two guys who definitely knew their way around the net. Two of the best backhand volleys you will ever see. Despite their diddy rackets, the volleys they hit are often travelling quicker than most players hit them today. Both players are comfortable volleying below the height of the net and, crucially, unlike most players today, they are 'comfortable' at the net. A player who isn't truly 'comfortable' around the net could never volley like the players in the clip.

Stotty

Comment

Another great volleyer is John Newcombe. He got in quickly behind he s serve and placed his volleys often very deep. I guess Newcombe would be criticised these days for having a high elbow on his serve. Oddly enough it doesn't seem to harm his delivery in any way. He has a lovely rhythm and sway to his serve which I really like.

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

When one plays with a wooden racket these days it seems remarkable we all managed to play quite so well with one. When I force one of my performance players (yes I force them) to play with a wooden racket against another member of the squad who plays with a modern racket, they lose 6-0 every time. Even the best player in the squad loses 6-0. That's how big the gulf is between wood and modern...huge.

I liked the game best around the late 80's. The rackets and strings offered more versatility and power than wood without being too overwhelming in the ground shot department. All round tennis was at it's best around then.
                It is has been a while! I lost the thread here. I also played one time for a whole summer with a wood racket. It really improved my game. I might pull out an old wooden racket that my son has and have my daughter hit with it.

The extra weight might also help her serve. It is hard to hit any stroke with just the arm with a heavy stick.

Comment

'kl'k'

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8628 users online. 6 members and 8622 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                  X