No announcement yet.

Rotterdam-ATP 500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He'll of a 1st set Stef vs Gerasimov, a 28 year old ranked 76 in the world. Stef won 7-4 in tiebreaker. It is something watching a guy like the Gerasimov play such splendid tennis vs Stef. What a tough way to make a living, even though I see the appeal. This guy Gerasimov just a great player.

Comment

Stef gets it done in 2. That match was about as easy on the eye impressive 1st round match as one is going to see to me.

Comment

I missed Tsitsipas but saw Wawrinka and Kachanov this afternoon. It was a slugfest to put it mildly. Stan cannot quite get his game back at the moment but he did hit three backhands off dead balls that went about 90mph plus. No one else can do that like Stan. The raw power he has off that wing is just amazing.
        Stotty

Comment

Stan is amazing off that side. I still conside Gasquet the absolute best 1 hander based on the BHP numbers for 1 handers. Agassi still the absolute best ever to me off the backhand side.
          Last edited by stroke; 03-03-2021, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Bublic takes out Alex without much fuss. Bublic played well, he has nice touch, a very good slice bh for a 2 hander, but Alex just did not compete well. The quality of the match was way off from Stef's match yesterday.

Comment

Lajovic vs Medvedev going on now. Lajovic really hits a nice ball off both sides, kind of like Stan. Good match.

Comment

Lajovic takes Medvedev out in straight sets looking like the better tennis player the whole time. Medvedev had a bit of a meltdown temper tantrum at the end of the match. At least he cares.

Comment

This is where the next generation is so wonky. Medvedev gets knocked out and Zverev too. Two top seeds gone for a Burton early on in the tournament. Medvedev had a great winning streak but he needs to maintain that consistent form to have any chance of catching Novak in the rankings.
                  Stotty

Comment

Watching those 1st 2 ATP matches, Novak vs Nadal, back from 2007, Indian Wells and Key Biscayne, 10 days apart with 19 year old Novak vs 20 year old Nadal, what a difference from the top young guys now.

Comment

Official singles, doubles and qualifying draw from the tournament archive in men's professional tennis on the ATP Tour.

If I am Stefanos Tsitsipas...and I'm not...I am looking at the draw sheet and bracing myself a bit. I'm saying to myself..."now Stefanos." "Now!" "Now is the time to seize the moment and make a statement to the tour."

Both Zverev and Medvedev took nose dives against players that on paper they should routine into the next world. Instead they are out of the tournament. Zverev has always had that deer in the headlights look to me. Once in a while it almost seems like he is going to come out of it. But he hasn't. Not yet. I wonder if he ever will. That initial run of success might just have been the kiss of death to him. It takes intestinal fortitude. It takes a lot of courage when these guys are coming after you. They are hungry too. They want to eat their way up the food chain. But Alexander looks to be anything but hungry to me. He looks like he is on his heels and covering up.

Medvedev also is trying to sort things out mentally. He had even more success and the expectations are a heavy burden. It is a load. Hopefully it will come with experience. There are no guarantees. So that brings us full circle...back to Stefanos Tsitsipas.

There is that unusual style of tossing the ball in his serve. The tossing hand never makes a descent and it shoots straight up out of his set-up position. It is a rhythmic thing...if you believe in things like that. What is it that holds a serve together night in, night out? I think it is gravity and lack of friction. Stefanos has yet to prove himself on the big stage. He took down Nadal at the Australian and that is a good thing. But you have to follow up. It was a weak loss to Medvedev in the next round and then the old doubts come back to haunt you. Doubts...demons. One and the same things. They creep in. Like little creepy crawlers. He has to get over it. Stefanos...stop looking in the mirror. A little too self conscious. He's a pretty boy but that doesn't count even a little bit. In fact it can count against you. It's just another reason why the pack want to take you down. "You are took good looking. I'm going to make you wish your mama never had you." He's going to have to swashbuckle more and preen less. Come on...Tsitsipas. Get tough young man!

That being said...he has got one tough road to hoe. Even though the top seeds have fallen...everyone is a potential pitfall. Even his next opponent. This guy has taken him to the edge that last four times they have played. It would behoove Tsitsipas to be fully prepared to take this one down and get back to business. We will see. The jury is still out.
                      don_budge
                      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Kei Nishikori is another of these ATP stories about guys that once were at the top of their games...at the top of the food chain. Then they get injured and have to claw their way back. Nishikori has spent plenty of time on the injured list during his career and here in Amsterdam he is making a nice little comeback. First he takes down Felix Auger-Aliassime and then on his bucket list is the little pesky demon from down under. If it was Nishikori in his top form he might just be in position to take command in the top half of the draw.
                        don_budge
                        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Oddmakers have the Goblin at an 83% winning chance vs Murray.

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                            Kei Nishikori is another of these ATP stories about guys that once were at the top of their games...at the top of the food chain. Then they get injured and have to claw their way back. Nishikori has spent plenty of time on the injured list during his career and here in Amsterdam he is making a nice little comeback. First he takes down Felix Auger-Aliassime and then on his bucket list is the little pesky demon from down under. If it was Nishikori in his top form he might just be in position to take command in the top half of the draw.
                            Agree. Kei is very good. At his best, a lot like Davydenko. Taking the ball early and very very solid off both sides. Rublev same kind of game.
                            Last edited by stroke; 03-03-2021, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Murray was crushed in that second set. Rublev hits the ball so hard and once he starts dictating it’s good night. I still think Murray is doing okay. I am not sure he’ll ever get his best form back but you never know, with work and determination anything is possible.

I couldn’t work out if Murray is a step slower or whether Rublev is hitting the ball so hard it just looks that way.

Depressing stadium. Dull colours, no crowd and a horrible echo...yuck.
                              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                                Murray was crushed in that second set. Rublev hits the ball so hard and once he starts dictating it’s good night. I still think Murray is doing okay. I am not sure he’ll ever get his best form back but you never know, with work and determination anything is possible.

I couldn’t work out if Murray is a step slower or whether Rublev is hitting the ball so hard it just looks that way.

Depressing stadium. Dull colours, no crowd and a horrible echo...yuck.
                                Copy crushed. I think Andy at his best could have handled the Goblin. To me, those days are gone. I just don't think Murray can deal with 500 level tennis anymore, but it does not matter what I think. It will be sorted out.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7747 users online. 1 members and 7746 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X