What Happens to Djokovic Going Forward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

An old post has jumped to life! But the question is valid again albeit for vastly different reasons.

Good question on Djokovic going forward. The old "Rest Vs. Rust' debate.

Djokovic showed signs of tiring, whether physical exhaustion or mental, early in his matches with Alcaraz and Ruud at Roland Garros, and later in the Wimbledon final. And his old elbow problem flared up in the clay court swing. So, his body can benefit from rest, but will his game?

IMHO Djokovic has not, historically needed the intensive reps before an event that Rafa seems to thrive on. He's historically shown an ability to walk into a major after not having shown good form in tune-ups and just turn it back on. That's different than Fed or Serena playing themselves into tournament shape in early rounds.

As for the "fine tuned machine" issues you bring up. I think you have something there. I mentioned elsewhere here that TV analysts/ articles, at least those I saw or heard, seemed to miss how much the wind bothered Djokovic. That's always been true. I don't know why. Are his strokes more mechanical, more constructed than the fluidity of the other Big 3 members?

I guess we'll see in New York. Adds some drama.
    Oddmakers have now installed Alcaraz as a very slight number 1 favorite over Novak(number 2) at the US Open.

Comment

Interesting post be Steeeveee...interesting user name too!

I don't see Novak going anywhere until he has secured his legacy. He cannot be sure of his legacy while Rafa is still in the background so he won't be relaxing just yet. Ideally he would like another couple of slams by his way of thinking.

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

Oddmakers have now installed Alcaraz as a very slight number 1 favorite over Novak(number 2) at the US Open.
        I'm reluctant to make picks before I see a draw, but I suppose those that do that for a living start collecting bets this far out.

Makes sense, coming off a head-to-head win plus being defending champ. I suspect Medvedev could have something to say about that. Has it really been two years since he won the US Open?

P.S. Waiting for prop bets and over/unders to make ATP. Imagining a sporting bet app live in the stands to bet on whether a serve is an ace or not

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

I'm reluctant to make picks before I see a draw, but I suppose those that do that for a living start collecting bets this far out.

Makes sense, coming off a head-to-head win plus being defending champ. I suspect Medvedev could have something to say about that. Has it really been two years since he won the US Open?

P.S. Waiting for prop bets and over/unders to make ATP. Imagining a sporting bet app live in the stands to bet on whether a serve is an ace or not
          Yes, the oddsmakers are not reluctant They are willing to accept bets based on their current odds.

Comment

There are other factors to take into to consideration also, and I'm sure the bookies consider pretty much everything. The US Open is not Novak's strongest slam despite it being on hard courts. It's not an easy venue to play when the crowd don't like you much. It's a bit of a bear pit. By contrast Carlos is likely to go down a treat with the crowd and get their full support. But I tend to agree with Robbie Koenig, who thinks there will be no changing of the guard just yet.
            Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2828 users online. 6 members and 2822 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X