No announcement yet.

Monte Carlo Master's 1000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oddsmakers have Stef and Zverev as a virtual pick 'em. Davidovich a slight favorite over Grigor.

Comment

Stef the better player in every department against Zverev. Roland Garros is going to be the best slam this year because there are a hatful of really good clay court players who are all in with a shot.

Fokina is having a great tournament and hopefully put up a great fight against Stef.
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
        Stef the better player in every department against Zverev. Roland Garros is going to be the best slam this year because there are a hatful of really good clay court players who are all in with a shot.

Fokina is having a great tournament and hopefully put up a great fight against Stef.
        I'm a big fan of Tsitsipas, but I did NOT see this coming. 75 minutes for straight sets?

Completely neutralized Zverev's serve that was awesome vs Sinner!

Tsitsipas won 45% vs Zverev's first and 65% vs his second? And returning is ( I thought) Stef's weak link?

Match-ups continue to be a big deal in ATP tennis. One day, Stef is down 0-4 plus facing game point for 3 breaks down. The next he stream rolls the world no 3.

Stef 7-3 now vs Zverev and 3-0 on clay.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

I'm a big fan of Tsitsipas, but I did NOT see this coming. 75 minutes for straight sets?

Completely neutralized Zverev's serve that was awesome vs Sinner!

Tsitsipas won 45% vs Zverev's first and 65% vs his second? And returning is ( I thought) Stef's weak link?

Match-ups continue to be a big deal in ATP tennis. One day, Stef is down 0-4 plus facing game point for 3 breaks down. The next he stream rolls the world no 3.

Stef 7-3 now vs Zverev and 3-0 on clay.
          It's the best I have seen him play in a while. He was focused and every facet of his game clicked into place. He was tactically shrewd in drawing Zverez into the net, and mixing it by coming to the net himself. Great stuff...nice to watch.
          Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

It's the best I have seen him play in a while. He was focused and every facet of his game clicked into place. He was tactically shrewd in drawing Zverez into the net, and mixing it by coming to the net himself. Great stuff...nice to watch.
            Yes, Stef was at his absolute best that I have seen. Zverev with his big game had no answers. Stef just better, too good. Clay as I felt from the very beginning of his career is his best surface, even though obviously he could win anything on any surface. His drop shot is getting better. One thing for certain to me, he can be the best clay court one handed player since Guga and Fed. Grigor appeared to be on his way to the win vs Davidovich but could not finish the job. To me. his backhand stats tell the tale. Technically, it looks great, but the winners to errors off that side are just not good.
            Last edited by stroke; 04-17-2022, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

Yes, Stef was at his absolute best that I have seen. Zverev with his big game had no answers. Stef just better, too good. Clay as I felt from the very beginning of his career is his best surface, even though obviously he could win anything on any surface. His drop shot is getting better. One thing for certain to me, he can be the best clay court one handed player since Guga and Fed. Grigor appeared to be on his way to the win vs Davidovich but could not finish the job. To me. his backhand stats tell the tale. Technically, it looks great, but the winners to errors off that side are just not good.
              Finally watched the semi all the way through. One shot that was particularly effective was Stef's slice backhand. He seems to have added a variation I hadn't seen before. Perhaps this is the influence of (interim coach?) Thomas Enqvist? Previously, it seemed as if every slice backhand was a chop, hit to have no pace when it reached his opponent. Saturday, he was driving it flatter, particularly on some backhand passing shots that were perfectly placed.

They aren't hard, with lots of underpin like Fed's drive, but still a new wrinkle. At least from my memory.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 1607 users online. 4 members and 1603 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
              X