Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madrid Open, Masters 1000

WTA Notables so far:

Emma Raducanu avenges a loss by taking out Kostyu, 2 and 1.

Can Bianca Andreescu actually be (and stay) healthy and fulfill the promise she showed as a teen? Took out Daniell Collins with a pair of breadsticks.

Gauff-Halep this afternoon. Simona took out the number 2 seed Badosa in her first match (I believe ) under Patrick Mouratoglou. Seems to be playing more aggressively.

Anismova remains undefeated against Aryna Sabalenka.

Comment

To no surprise at all, oddsmakers have Nadal as the favorite to win Madrid. Alcaraz 2nd favorite, followed by Novak and Tsitsipas.

Comment

Sir Andy wins in his first trip back to clay in two years over recovering Domi Thiem.

ATP coverage with Andy's quote and a pair of good highlight vids:
        https://www.atptour.com/en/news/murr...id-2022-monday

But the Austrian's powerful forehand misfired too often in what was just his third tour-level event of the year, and Murray zeroed in on that wing to break serve in both sets. Thiem finished with 33 unforced errors, 24 of them coming from the forehand.

"It's extremely difficult," Murray said of Thiem's comeback. "He obviously had the injury initially and has also had some setbacks along the way. Mentally, it will take time to feel confident, totally accelerating on the ball. I had a wrist injury when I was 20 years old and it was very difficult. It took me time before I started to feel comfortable on the forehand side again.

"He uses his wrist a lot when he plays. He plays with heavy topspin. It's obviously going to take him time, but he can still hit the ball great. He's serving well, moving well. It's just going to take time."

Comment

Some matches of note:

RBA with easy win over Brooksby, 2 and love. The American only won 3 of 18 points behind his second serve.

Andrey Rublev wins from down 0-3 in the third vs Briton Jack Draper 2-6, 6-4, 7-5

Tonight Raducanu vs Kalinina, Bash vs Alcaraz, and Sir And vs Shapo.

Comment

I like JB but his WTA type serve is a lot to overcome. Monfils on verge of 18th loss in a row to Novak.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
              I like JB but his WTA type serve is a lot to overcome. Monfils on verge of 18th loss in a row to Novak.
              Couldn't agree more about JB. He 's the worst coached player in living memory yet in spite of it he's still a darn good player...but as you rightly say, he has unsightly problems to overcome. He's not easy on the eye for Tennipslayer purists such as ourselves.

Novak chalks up his 18 consecutive win against Monfils, which is an ATP record I am told. No one has ever beaten another player more than 17 times in a row prior Novak's beat down of Monfils. A great achievement for Novak, not so good for Monfils.
              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

Couldn't agree more about JB. He 's the worst coached player in living memory yet in spite of it he's still a darn good player...but as you rightly say, he has unsightly problems to overcome. He's not easy on the eye for Tennipslayer purists such as ourselves.

Novak chalks up his 18 consecutive win against Monfils, which is an ATP record I am told. No one has ever beaten another player more than 17 times in a row prior Novak's beat down of Monfils. A great achievement for Novak, not so good for Monfils.
                Monfils, who has clearly had a successful ATP career, his record vs the big 3 says a lot about all 4 of them.

Comment

So far Wed, Rafa has won his first match back from the stress fracture to his ribs incurred in his semifinal with Alcaraz at Indian Wells, 1 and 6(4) over Kecmanovic.

Surprise, a bit: Dimitrov 0 and 3 over Schwartzman (on clay?)

Zverev, who hasn't won anything in a while, struggles vs Cilic but comes from behind.

Ruud is slijping.

Korda trails Musetti !! Hope I get to a peak that one.

WTA side:

Jabur straight sets Halep !

Comment

Nadal, Grigor, and Musetti looked very good today. Sinner out there right now vs the demon.

Comment

Some good matches tomorrow, Grigor vs Stef, Novak vs Murray, Musetti ve Zverev, FAA vs Sinner.
                      Last edited by stroke; 05-04-2022, 11:23 PM.

Comment

Rublev's overhead is about as bad as Nadal's is good.

Comment

Rafa's ability to save MPS is insane. Tops David Goffin (who is playing quite well), 6-3, 5-7, 7-6(9), in three hours and nine minutes..
                          Save four (4) count 'em match points.
                          https://www.atptour.com/en/news/nada...-2022-thursday

Sadly, Andy Murray had to pull out of his match vs Djokovic. Good news, it's not his hip -- but a stomach ailment.

FAA over Sinner in pretty routine fashion, apparently 61 62

Here's a way-too-early metric: initial H2Hs between the potentially three best players born in the 00s:

Auger vs Alcaraz 1:0
                          Auger vs. Sinner 1:0
                          Alcaraz vs. Sinner 1:0 (2:0)

I finally get to watch a bit -- Alcaraz vs Norrie. Their match in Indian Wells was a lung buster. But then Madrid's clay plays faster than IW's sandpaper.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                            Rafa's ability to save MPS is insane. Tops David Goffin (who is playing quite well), 6-3, 5-7, 7-6(9), in three hours and nine minutes..
                            Save four (4) count 'em match points.
                            https://www.atptour.com/en/news/nada...-2022-thursday

Sadly, Andy Murray had to pull out of his match vs Djokovic. Good news, it's not his hip -- but a stomach ailment.

FAA over Sinner in pretty routine fashion, apparently 61 62

Here's a way-too-early metric: initial H2Hs between the potentially three best players born in the 00s:

Auger vs Alcaraz 1:0
                            Auger vs. Sinner 1:0
                            Alcaraz vs. Sinner 1:0 (2:0)

I finally get to watch a bit -- Alcaraz vs Norrie. Their match in Indian Wells was a lung buster. But then Madrid's clay plays faster than IW's sandpaper.
                            I agree, he is pretty good ha. To me, Nadal is the most vulnerable he has been ever at the FO, and that includes his 1st one, which of course he won, back in 2005, some 17 years ago. He is still the vulnerable favorite though.

I am personally picking Alcaraz though, but I miss a lot of picks.
                            Last edited by stroke; 05-05-2022, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

I agree, he is pretty good ha. To me, Nadal is the most vulnerable he has been ever at the FO, and that includes his 1st one, which of course he won, back in 2005, some 17 years ago. He is still the vulnerable favorite though.

I am personally picking Alcaraz though, but I miss a lot of picks.
                              I can't see Alcaraz beating Rafa at the FO. I still believe Novak is the only player that can do that. But I do believe Alcaraz versus Rafa has the potential for a great match up...shotmaker versus the human wall. I also think Alcaraz could give Novak a lot of problems with his drop shot, which looks about the best on tour right now.
                              Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7667 users online. 9 members and 7658 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X