No announcement yet.

Wimbledon Championships 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iga out to Cornet, who won the last 6 games. Winning streak ends at 37 matches.

Cornet : "Je suis comme le bon vin. En fran?ais, on dit que le vin se bonifie avec le temps. C'est irr?el. C'est l'une des meilleures saisons de ma carri?re. Je m'?clate sur le court, je prends ?norm?ment de plaisir. Je suis toujours l?, motiv?e. J'ai toujours ce feu int?rieur."

Translated from French by Google
    Cornet: "I'm like good wine. In French, we say that wine gets better with time. It's unreal. It's been one of the best seasons of my career. I'm having a blast on the court, I'm having a lot of fun. I'm still there, motivated. I still have that inner fire."

Comment

Badosa beats an in form on grass Kvitova, straight sets but tight: 7--5 7-6(4)

Badosa won a higher percent behind both her first and second serves, but Kvitova had 11 BPS and only converted one. (1/11 vs 2/ 9)

Badosa's first serve is under-rated IMHO.
      Last edited by jimlosaltos; 07-02-2022, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Nick is just a disgrace and the umpire has allowed it to happen. Tsitsipas has lost his composure with Nick's antics and any reasonable person would say Nick's behavior is not acceptable. Somehow, the crowd seems to be siding with Nick. I guess that is just today's world.

Comment

The problem is Nick has the best serve in the world. He can hit all the spots at a hell of a pace and routinely gets himself out of trouble with it. Tough to beat when he's in the mood.
          Stotty

Comment

Nick just too good in the end. Tsitsipas just couldn't play well enough when it really mattered....he did have plenty of chances in that fourth set.
            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
              The problem is Nick has the best serve in the world. He can hit all the spots at a hell of a pace and routinely gets himself out of trouble with it. Tough to beat when he's in the mood.
              I agree about the serve. His is the best out there after the 3 giants to me, and he has more game to back it up than any great server has ever had. I just really dislike his behavior out there, not that it matters at all. Clearly, after watching the crowd and umpire reaction to him today, I am way in the minority.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

I agree about the serve. His is the best out there after the 3 giants to me, and he has more game to back it up than any great server has ever had. I just really dislike his behavior out there, not that it matters at all. Clearly, after watching the crowd and umpire reaction to him today, I am way in the minority.
                It's complicated. I don't think people like him all the much but they do like the entertainment he brings. In today's tennis, folk are kind of desperate for entertainment because, on the whole, things are rather bland. Everyone plays in a similar way and the off court interviews are alway media savvy and with much too much 'goody two shoes' talk.

Nick played great today. He works so well behind his serve, which scores statistically high relative to the pace he belts it. He had 71% on first serves today. That can make him unbeatable. Not just that, in the fourth set tie break he played so well off the ground too.

I don't like him. He's basically a despicable brat. I'm with you on that one. Unfortunately, we both know a good tennis player when we see one and have to unwillingly concede he is pretty darn good when he's up for it.
                Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

It's complicated. I don't think people like him all the much but they do like the entertainment he brings. In today's tennis, folk are kind of desperate for entertainment because, on the whole, things are rather bland. Everyone plays in a similar way and the off court interviews are alway media savvy and with much too much 'goody two shoes' talk.

Nick played great today. He works so well behind his serve, which scores statistically high relative to the pace he belts it. He had 71% on first serves today. That can make him unbeatable. Not just that, in the fourth set tie break he played so well off the ground too.

I don't like him. He's basically a despicable brat. I'm with you on that one. Unfortunately, we both know a good tennis player when we see one and have to unwillingly concede he is pretty darn good when he's up for it.
                  I somewhat agree with you, but not the complicated part. It is simply not complicated to me. The way he acted today was on the same level to me as the Connors/Krickstein match. Just not ok to me. Not complicated. Anyone who wants that as entertainment, well to me, no words.

Comment

When I said complicated I meant the crowd's relationship with Kyrgios, not his behaviour. His behaviour is out of order.
                    Stotty

Comment

The Guardian: Nick Kyrgios called ‘evil bully’ by Tsitsipas after stormy encounter.
                      https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ormy-encounter

lets just say I completely agree with Stefanos, as an old school non woke person
                      Last edited by stroke; 07-02-2022, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Nick clearly has his fans no doubt
                        Last edited by stroke; 07-02-2022, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Any comments on how Nick can set up and pound his forehand on occasion with virtually no knee bend in either leg and maintaining some contact on the ground with foot pivot?.

Comment

Super human fast twitch.

Comment

Just a note that Van Rijthoven (from the Libema Open thread) is playing Djokovic today.

Comment

Another take on the Nick antics, as if it will make any difference at all. I am not certain the "entertained" fans or the clueless umpire/Wimbledon officials will question their take on this.

Daily Mail: JOHN LLOYD: Nick Kyrgios' antics have got to be curbed.
                                https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/te...rand-Slam.html
                                Last edited by stroke; 07-03-2022, 03:32 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2189 users online. 6 members and 2183 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X