Wimbledon Championships 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

Novak could meet Rafa in the finals with neither beating a single top ten player. That's just wrong IMHO.

​​​​​​You can only beat who shows up. But that's not a "major" title.
    I am too excited about the upcoming Laver Cup and the mouth watering field to really get a handle on this Wimbledon situation.

That being said, like the rest of the tennis world, I am pulling for Nick.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

I am too excited about the upcoming Laver Cup and the mouth watering field to really get a handle on this Wimbledon situation.

That being said, like the rest of the tennis world, I am pulling for Nick.
      Envy you LC in O2.

Suspect you over estimate Nick's popularity a tad. Or 10 tads

Comment

Absolutely. Is it debatable?

He's a malignant narcissist, characterized by enjoying lording power over others and abusing people, particularly those that can't defend themselves, such as lines people. There's a need to be the center of attention, a need to take over from others, to take control of a situation away from those around him, so that he has power over them.

Remember the vulgar comments he made mid-match to Wawrinka about his then girlfriend? And the lies later that he apologized to her (Vekic says he never did). Normal, decent people don't do those things.

He's abusive even when he can't find anything to be upset about. In Kyrgios' prior match with Tsitsipas (Halle, was it?) he was obviously nervous when he walked on court, so he started complaining to the chair almost as soon as we walked out on court. Chewed out the chair ump because he supposedly heard a phone ring somewhere in the stadium, "What if it was Wimbledon and it was match point?" he scolded the ump repeatedly as if the ump has control over ever sound from every fan in the stadium.

It's abuse for abuse's sake.

Sadly.
        I watched a bit of the Kyrgios - Tsitsipas match and was amazed that the crowd turned on Tsitsipas. Reminded me of that movie What About Bob where the whole family takes the lunatic Bob’s side over the poor father.

I don’t think Kyrgios will bring his clown show against Rafa or Novak. At least I hope not. They are two of the greatest players of all time and it would be in a semi final or final of a Slam. Even Kyrgios must sense that there is no place for idiocy at this stage of the tournament. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Well put. The umpire lost control of the match early. He was too timid. I think we'd all agree on that much.

In fairness, they're put in an untenable position. They're gig workers, like Uber drivers but with even less job security. Stand up to a bully, as Carlos Ramos did at a US Open, and you lose "assignments", i.e. effectively get fined for doing your job.

We learned that when Rafa had Carlos Bernardes "banned" from his matches for enforcing a time delay violation. Umps are paid by match and paid more for later round matches. So, being banned from a top ranked players matches is a fine. In other words, a top-ranked player can fine an umpire if he doesn't like the call. Tournaments also can effectively "fine" umpires if enforcing the rules reduces their ticket revenue.
          Where was Carlos Ramos when we needed him?

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post

Where was Carlos Ramos when we needed him?
            Hah! Recovering from tossing Fokina. Hard work!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffreycounts View Post

I watched a bit of the Kyrgios - Tsitsipas match and was amazed that the crowd turned on Tsitsipas. Reminded me of that movie What About Bob where the whole family takes the lunatic Bob’s side over the poor father.

I don’t think Kyrgios will bring his clown show against Rafa or Novak. At least I hope not. They are two of the greatest players of all time and it would be in a semi final or final of a Slam. Even Kyrgios must sense that there is no place for idiocy at this stage of the tournament. I could be wrong though.
              As I remember, the two with Djokovic were all business and all one way.

Handful of Nick - Rafa matches I've watched had a fair amount of misbehavior. In IW Carlos Ramos got on Nick early, which worked for a while. Then toward the end Ramos let him get away with obscenities. And on the walk to the net, the tomahawk throw at a ball kid's face - with no suspension.

Nick might see this as his one, last big chance for a big title and focus. We'll see.

Comment

Of course, Pat Cash is exactly right, not that most people in tennis, particularly Wimbledon Officials, will get it. Just pitiful. Wimbledon is an embarrassment at this point, it really is.

Comment

I am picking one upset in the quarters, Fritz over Nadal. Novak of course is the strongest favorite of the 4 quarters, but it could be very interesting. Sinner hits a bigger ball with that easy firepower, but his stat sheet is going to have to look very good to have a shot at taking out the clinical one.

Comment

Sinner super impressive in winning the 1st set. His explosive ball striking off both sides is really 2nd to none and Novak was certainly feeling it, which is really saying something.

Comment

• It appears Sinners explosive ball striking is actually causing Novak to press, which has seemed an impossible ask, getting Novak out of lockdown mode. Very interesting, we will see.

Comment

• Sinner up 2 sets. His stat line looks good, more winners than errors. Novak will have to produce one of his greatest comebacks to stay in the tournament.

Comment

• Originally posted by stroke View Post
                          I am picking one upset in the quarters, Fritz over Nadal. Novak of course is the strongest favorite of the 4 quarters, but it could be very interesting. Sinner hits a bigger ball with that easy firepower, but his stat sheet is going to have to look very good to have a shot at taking out the clinical one.
                          Gutsy call ! Fritz's great backhand return and height might neutralize Rafa's lefty swing serve.

Comment

• While we're on Kyrgios misbehavior, this accusation today:

Wimbledon 2022: Nick Kyrgios charged with assaulting former girlfriend in Australia

Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios has been charged with assaulting his former girlfriend Chiara Passari in Canberra late last year, and has been summoned to appear in court.

The Australian Capital Territory Police confirmed to the Canberra Times that Kyrgios had been charged and would appear in court early next month.

"ACT Policing can confirm a 27-year-old Watson man is scheduled to face the ACT Magistrates Court on the 2nd of August in relation to one charge of common assault following an incident in December 2021," police said on Tuesday.

The Canberra Times reported that the charge "relates to an allegation Kyrgios grabbed former partner Chiara Passari." If convicted, he could face up to two years in prison.

Comment

• Kyrgios comes close to admitting it's all gamesmanship designed to disrupt his opponents.

Acts like his shoulder is injured, hits patty cake serves, then bombs at 140 mph --- turns around match.

NYT ​By ​Matthew Futterman

Kyrgios, the big, talented Australian, has taken over Wimbledon with his antics and psychological warfare. It’s working.

How about three serves in the 75-m.p.h. range, one underhanded, and a forehand on set point so obviously aimed off the court? (It hit its target.) Was Kyrgios now quitting?

“Complete rope-a-dope tactic,” Kyrgios said. “I just threw away that service game. I knew he was in a rhythm. He was starting to get on top of me. I kind of just wanted to throw him off a little bit.”

Comment

• BG on TV about Norrie' team:

"If you are part of his team, you don't celebrate. You start to focus and think about the next match" says Brad Gilbert on ESPN of Cam Norrie and his team as they prepare for the Wimbledon semifinal against Novak Djokovic. "If you celebrate, you will be out."

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8348 users online. 4 members and 8344 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X