No announcement yet.

Wimbledon Championships 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I have been at Wimbledon today…up close and personal. I watched Basilashvili defeat Quentin Halys in four sets. Does Bash know how to defend? He every ball flat out even out wide and on the run. His opponent thumps it equally hard too.

I also watched the somewhat overweight Vesely beat Fokina in five sets. Strangely Fokina was disqualified at match point down for belting a ball out of the stadium. Vesely couldn’t believe his luck and swiftly shook hands. Vesely is great to watch and hits the ball right out of the heart of the strings.

Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
      Well I have been at Wimbledon today…up close and personal. I watched Basilashvili defeat Quentin Halys in four sets. Does Bash know how to defend? He every ball flat out even out wide and on the run. His opponent thumps it equally hard too.

I also watched the somewhat overweight Vesely beat Fokina in five sets. Strangely Fokina was disqualified at match point down for belting a ball out of the stadium. Vesely couldn’t believe his luck and swiftly shook hands. Vesely is great to watch and hits the ball right out of the heart of the strings.
      Cool that you saw Bash up close. He no doubt hits as cumatively big as anyone off both sides, a la Karatsev and Sinner. Vesely has to me long had a great game, but the mens game is so deep. Hard to make a true real world impact ratings wise. It looks like to me no one except maybe Sinner can hit such a big ball off both sides with seemingly less effort, more effortless power, as Bash.
      Last edited by stroke; 06-29-2022, 02:31 PM.

Comment

I think I would put the Cressy/Sock match, which is certainly not on the feature court, as the match of the day. Cressy is deservedly the favorite at an implied probability of winning of 67%, but I kind of like Sock in this one. Should be a very interesting match.

Comment

P​ro Tips on Tennis From Wimbledon

1. If you're going to hit a ball out incurring a penalty point, do NOT do it on match point against you, particularly at the end of a 5 set marathon. Twice verbal & once ball abuse Fokina vs Vesely 63 57 67(2) 63 76(7). ​P.S. Don't tell me Carlos Ramos doesn't call abuse on everyone equitably.
          https://youtu.be/PVBbZN4iM9Y

2. Do NOT celebrate your shot before it bounces twice. ​Alastair Gray had his back turned, fist pumping the cheering fans before his angle volley bounced twice and Fritz dove for the ball and put it into the open court to win the point and the set.
          https://youtu.be/cFT1RZQDy5c

​3. If you're playing a match at Wimbledon, best to not forget your rackets. Ugo Humbert vs Casper Ruud. On second thought, Humbert upset the seed, so maybe it was a clever use. Distracted the Norwegian!
          https://indianexpress.com/article/sp...match-7999859/

Comment

Tsitsipas vs Kyrgios next round. Both are looking good but I would think Kyrgios is the slight favorite here. Very interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

Certainly concur with your take here. It is all about working ones way through a match and getting the win. All juniors need to be studying the big 3 in that department, not Kyrgios ha.
              Funny that one adjustment leads to another. Cressy figures he can just serve and volley his way through.

So much for him bothering Sock. So far it looks like Sock is handling it for two sets.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                P​ro Tips on Tennis From Wimbledon

1. If you're going to hit a ball out incurring a penalty point, do NOT do it on match point against you, particularly at the end of a 5 set marathon. Twice verbal & once ball abuse Fokina vs Vesely 63 57 67(2) 63 76(7). ​P.S. Don't tell me Carlos Ramos doesn't call abuse on everyone equitably.
                https://youtu.be/PVBbZN4iM9Y

Great match. I was there in person. Fokina couldn't believe Ramos had defaulted him. Vesely on the other hand couldn't be live his luck. It was a terrific match...shame it had to end that way.

Stotty

Comment

Nick is slight favorite, 58% implied probability of winning.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                    Nick is slight favorite, 58% implied probability of winning.
                    Depends which Nick turns up. A focused Nick would be the heavy favourite for me. Other the hand, a Nick that wakes up on the wrong side of the bed...
                    Stotty

Comment

Here's something positive that's not a covid test.

Great, great shot by Otte. Even better sportsmanship by young Alcaraz.

"Mo Layhani "With good sportsmanship Mr. Alcaraz awarded the point to Mr. Otte "Oscar's around the net winner had been asked to replayed when the chair umpire overruled the out line call on Carlos' last shot.

https://twitter.com/funnyzeitgist/st...16013850648576

Comment

Otte is amazing to watch. He's unorthodox. I watched up close on Wednesday before his opponent retired injured.

What do you make of his serve? One of the clips is in real time and other slow motion. They aren't great as they were taken on an iPhone 6. The real time show explosive ISR...not sure you can slow it down on Daily Motion but on my iPhone I can and I promise you his ISR is terrific. The slow motion clip is a second serve. What is unusual is there is minimal ISR on his second serve. His first serve is darn quick while his second is on the weak side.

To view the clips you will need to input a password: OTTE

John might be interested to watch Otte's serve. The method of initiating the serve and method of ball toss are bizarre. And to have excellent ISR on the first serve but not the second serve is something I haven't come across before.
                        Last edited by stotty; 07-01-2022, 01:37 PM.
                        Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                          Otte is amazing to watch. He's unorthodox. I watched up close on Wednesday before his opponent retired injured.

What do you make of his serve? One of the clips is in real time and other slow motion. They aren't great as they were taken on an iPhone 6. The real time show explosive ISR...not sure you can slow it down on Daily Motion but on my iPhone I can and I promise you his ISR is terrific. The slow motion clip is a second serve. What is unusual is there is minimal ISR on his second serve. His first serve is darn quick while his second is on the weak side.

To view the clips you will need to input a password: OTTE

John might be interested to watch Otte's serve. The method of initiating the serve and method of ball toss are bizarre. And to have excellent ISR on the first serve but not the second serve is something I haven't come across before.
                          To slow down the second video on "daily motion" click the "slider icon" (vertical bars with cross-marks), then select playback and speed. Can go down to 25% and then ISR is clearly visible. Sudden "snap".

The toss and motion remind me a little of what I personally call "the Aussie walking serve" for lack of not knowing a real name for it. Ala Pat Rafter and Cash who barely got off the ground but were half way to the net when they hit the ball <g>. Different goals in mind then.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

To slow down the second video on "daily motion" click the "slider icon" (vertical bars with cross-marks), then select playback and speed. Can go down to 25% and then ISR is clearly visible. Sudden "snap".

The toss and motion remind me a little of what I personally call "the Aussie walking serve" for lack of not knowing a real name for it. Ala Pat Rafter and Cash who barely got off the ground but were half way to the net when they hit the ball <g>. Different goals in mind then.
                            Thanks for the slow down tip.

It's a disjointed start. And the tossing arm goes back by his bum and then upwards...nothing a like the standard straight up toss or rotary toss. His arms work seemingly at odds with each other when initiating the motion. Also he hits the ball at the apex and has a very early knee bend. He leans more than a drives up, which is more old school....rather like Benoit Paire.
                            Stotty

Comment

Someone finally speaks the truth about Nick. He really should heve been defaulted.

Comment

Stef wins the 1st set in a tiebreaker. Nick is acting like a massive tool as usual, and he certainly deserved to get at least 2 warnings in the set for his deplorable behavior. He got none. Nick did look like the better player tennis wise in losing the set. His serve is better obviously, he returns better, and his backhand is certainly better on this surface.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7984 users online. 6 members and 7978 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X