No announcement yet.

Vote for Best ATP Player to Never win a Major

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with all the aforementioned players is many never even reached a slam final or only got to a slam final once in their career. I think Mecir gets the vote as he did at least reach two slam finals and was absolutely mesmerising to watch.

Winner: Miloslav Mecir
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
      The problem with all the aforementioned players is many never even reached a slam final or only got to a slam final once in their career. I think Mecir gets the vote as he did at least reach two slam finals and was absolutely mesmerising to watch.

Winner: Miloslav Mecir
      You make a good case for The Big Cat

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

You make a good case for The Big Cat
        No doubt on the Big Cat. Such an effortless easy on the eye game. Watching old tapes of him in his prime, he looks even more impressive. His game, knowing more about tennis now than we did, looks even better.

Comment

Stunning player to watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvmthcDVXGI

If I had to choose my absolute favourite player to watch, it would be Miloslav Mecir, which goes to show things don't have to amount to how many slams a player has won.
          Stotty

Comment

Only 2 days left ! Maybe I need to put "Get Out The Vote" posters in neighbors' lawns <g>.

Comment

Mecir did really well in slams over a three year period before and back injury brought his career to a dramatic halt. Has any non grand slam winner come as close? If so please post the evidence...

Screenshot 2022-07-23 at 20.40.24.png
              Stotty

Comment

Mecir did really well in slams over a three year period before and back injury brought his career to a dramatic halt. Has any non grand slam winner come as close? If so please post the evidence...

Screenshot 2022-07-23 at 20.40.24.png
                Mecir predates me by a bit. I appreciate the info.

Not disagreeing, I just had to look to quantify my memory on Nalbandian.

Only one final of a major for him, but made semis or quarters in 2 majors each of 4 consecutive years -- Peak Fedal years, I'll add.

filedata/fetch?id=98122&d=1658683500&type=thumb

And a World Tour Final, which even some Goat-contenders lack. {Of course, that was the year Roger was persuaded to play injured after Rafa pulled out, beat Nalbandian in the RR, and was up 2 sets in the final before his gimpy ankle and fatigue set in.

Sidebar: If Roger had simply not played while injured, instead of flying to Singapore with his foot in a boot, he'd have broken McEnroe record for highest winning percentage in a year.

filedata/fetch?id=98123&d=1658683640&type=thumb
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 3 photos.
                Last edited by jimlosaltos; 07-24-2022, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Granted...it's close. But Mecir just nicks it for me on the basis two appearances in slam finals rumps one final appearance. Plus, Mecir is so much more fun to watch.
                  Stotty

Comment

Granted...it's close. But Mecir just nicks it for me on the basis two appearances in slam finals rumps one final appearance. Plus, Mecir is so much more fun to watch.
                    Fun counts.

Comment

I like Nalbandian a lot. He looked so good in his early matches against Fed. But then he faded out and lost interest. Davydenko was simply amazing. I never saw anyone take the ball that early and challenge Fed and Nadal with his style. The problem was for him to maintain that over five sets.

It's just too hard to play that way over such a long period against the top players who had more firepower.

Eventually, the firepower won out and Davydenko would lose. His best wins were in the 2 out of 3 format.

Comment

Originally posted by arturohernandez View Post
                        I like Nalbandian a lot. He looked so good in his early matches against Fed. But then he faded out and lost interest. Davydenko was simply amazing. I never saw anyone take the ball that early and challenge Fed and Nadal with his style. The problem was for him to maintain that over five sets.

It's just too hard to play that way over such a long period against the top players who had more firepower.

Eventually, the firepower won out and Davydenko would lose. His best wins were in the 2 out of 3 format.
                        I recall Fed saying years later that Delpo and Davyendo were both "set to challenge for number one in the world but got injured" - Davy with a wrist and Delpo with too many to list.

Nalbandian got a knee injury then became a race car owner/ driver <g>.

Comment

Well, your guy tied for first!

But with a "massive" vote total of 2, I'm not sure this was statistically valid <g>.

Oh well, it was an experiment to see if the forum took to polls.

There seem to be more lurkers than participants, which is ok.

Thanks for contributing to the thread.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7418 users online. 3 members and 7415 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                          X