I have a question for all of you...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Arturo,

All of my games/drills have a purpose. I like to use constraints during practices. For example, in a doubles practice match the server must serve and volley on first serves or they lose the point automatically.

I have a game I named Golf that is really good for singles players. The purpose, like golf, is to have the lowest score possible. I explain that there are only three ways a point can end: a forced error; and unforced error; or a winner. If you make a mistake (forced or unforced) you get a point (+ 1). If you hit a winner you subtract a point (- 1). Whoever gets to +5 first loses the game. If a player gets to -5 he/she "wins" the game. It's super rare that a player actually "wins" (-5) a game. High school boys try to hit great shots too often and end up losing too many points. This game makes them think about the shot they're trying to hit and whether it's worth the risk or not.

Another constraint I often use is that the server only gets one serve (singles or doubles). Do you want to hit hard and flat and have a low percentage? Do you want to just push the serve in to just get the point started and let your opponent hit a big return? If the answer to these questions is "no" you better have a good kick/topspin serve. This rule also gets players used to the pressure of hitting a "second serve" under pressure.

I don't do "fun" games or drills. I'm not trying to entertain them, I'm trying to make them better, smarter players.

I know that didn't really answer your question. It sounds like you'll have to drill with your daughter on weekends You and she can work on skills, techniques, shot selection, tactics for a relatively short amount of time without conditioning. If the drills are very focused you won't need to spend a lot of time per session on them, maybe an hour?

I hope that helped. All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by morespin View Post
      Ok, so here are the latest developments:

The boy in question is going to come to matches early and warm up with his teammates for a minimum of 30 minutes twice a week. That will add up to his one hour per week in addition to playing his team matches.

His parent agreed to that and thought it was a reasonable arrangement.

What do you guys think of this compromise?
      This quote from a basketball player on the women's team at Iowa after they defeated South Carolina to make the finals. Caitlin Clark scored 41 points in the process. Obviously she is a talent head and shoulders over her teammates but what she had to say was about the team "spirit". The "boy in question" will never have the chance to experience such comradely feelings. He will never understand what it is to be a team player. This will stunt his growth and explains why many tennis players are so selfish and self obsessed. They have to be in a way yet there used to be a venue called Davis Cup where players put aside their individual ambitions for a while and took one for the team. I used to love playing basketball.

"We had nothing to lose. I have all the confidence in the world in this group, and they believe right back in me, and that’s all you need," Clark said. "All we do is believe in one another, and we love each other to death, and that’s what a true team is. If you want an example of a team, that’s what this is."

don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Thanks Don.

Comment

Originally posted by morespin View Post
          Thanks Don.
          Back at ya...morespin. Great thread on the tennis periphery. Tennis ethics. Bring it morespin. You really brought something to the forum when it needs it.
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, Don

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2620 users online. 7 members and 2613 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
            X