No announcement yet.

French Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Novak has stepped up to the plate as we all expected. Carlos looks very dangerous at times. You feel Novak is really going to have to keep this form up to keep Carlos at bay...so far Carlos has been kept slightly off balance.
    Stotty

Comment

• Just as I thought Novak cannot hit a ball past Carlos but is doing a beautiful job of keeping him off balance so far.

5-2 Novak
      Stotty

Comment

• Great first set by Novak. We are in the unusual situation however where it's Novak who is going to have to keep up the level of play. Anything less and he could get overrun....you can just feel it.
        Stotty

Comment

• It's 3-2 to Carlos in the 2nd set. Novak is keeping it up so far with reasonable comfort, hitting a remarkable length and serving with excellent acumen. Carlos just cannot get a foothold....as yet.
          Stotty

Comment

• 5-3....Carlos get the break though sheer power and belief. Novak will have to remain at his very best. Carlos is like an Olympic athlete and Novak cannot hit past him, just work him out of position and wait for errors.
            Stotty

Comment

• 5-4...Novak characteristically breaks straight back. Carlos is careless at times though...can't afford that against Novak.
              Stotty

Comment

• I think Carlos might be even quicker than a 22-year-old Nadal....and that's saying something. He's so fast over an expanse it's unreal.
                Stotty

Comment

• Well both semi's a bit of a disappointment. Obviously , Novak a very strong favorite in the final vs Ruud as he would have been vs Zverev. Novak has a chance obviously to really stick a fork in the GOAT argument.

Comment

• I left the Carlos v Novak game at 1 set all to go to work. It looked poised for Carlos to take off at that point. It's such a shame he cramped up. It really shouldn't happen in this day and age so early in a match with the right nutrients inside him. I find that one a bit odd.

Novak will be heavy favourite against Ruud, I guess. Novak certainly looked pretty good out there today and played a terrific couple of sets while the match was still in the balance.
                    Stotty

Comment

• Shame that Alcaraz started to cramp after he leveled things in the second set. He's had a lot of trouble with soft tissue injuries so far in his young career.

I don't know how much one can read into stats given the injury, but here they are for what they're worth.

Craig O'Shannessy's prematch analysis was on about Djokovic having to take the offensive and go to the net -- BUT he was way off about it being dangerous to go at Alcaraz's backhand. This is a huge difference from Djokovic's losses (few as they are) in recent years where the likes of Medvedev, Musetti, Rune have gone toe-to-toe with Djokovic's backhand.

Djokovic had a 25 point advantage in the 0-4 rallies with double the winners over that range 22-11, the two were almost dead even on anything longer.

Djoko was 25/45 at the net, vs 19/30 for Acaraz.

Djoko hit 39 winners vs 36 UFEs and 29 forced errors vs Alcaraz 35 winners vs 50 UFEs and 39 forced errors.​

filedata/fetch?id=101123&d=1686345084&type=thumb

Djokovic's backhand was an error-free wall vs Alcaraz, 18 errors vs 34 on the backhand side for Alcaraz.

filedata/fetch?id=101124&d=1686345108&type=thumb

#
                      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                      This gallery has 2 photos.
                      Last edited by jimlosaltos; 06-09-2023, 01:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                        Some stats on Djokovic vs Alcaraz semi.

Craig O'Shannessy's prematch analysis was on about Djokovic having to take the offensive and go to the net -- BUT he was way off about it being dangerous to after Alcaraz's backhand.

Djokovic had a 25 point advantage in the 0-4 rallies with double the winners over that range 22-11, the two were almost dead even on anything longer.

Djoko was 25/45 at the net, vs 19/30 for Acaraz.

Djoko hit 39 winners vs 36 UFEs and 29 forced errors vs Alcaraz 35 winners vs 50 UFEs and 39 forced errors.​

x

Djokovic's backhand was an error-free wall vs Alcaraz, 18 errors vs 34 on the backhand side for Alcaraz.

x
                        What is constituting a winner here? Novak hit virtually none in the first two sets, off the ground at least. I missed the last two sets where, apparently, according to press reports, Carlos was lame.
                        Last edited by stotty; 06-09-2023, 01:27 PM.
                        Stotty

Comment

• Originally posted by stotty View Post
                          I left the Carlos v Novak game at 1 set all to go to work. It looked poised for Carlos to take off at that point. It's such a shame he cramped up. It really shouldn't happen in this day and age so early in a match with the right nutrients inside him. I find that one a bit odd.

Novak will be heavy favourite against Ruud, I guess. Novak certainly looked pretty good out there today and played a terrific couple of sets while the match was still in the balance.
                          To me, this just really illustrates that Alcaraz is not the next Nadal, not close. This result would never have happened to Nadal. That being said, Alcaraz will definitely make his mark on tennis, just more like a Sampras Agassi Lendl, which is certainly a high level.
                          Last edited by stroke; 06-09-2023, 01:37 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by stotty View Post
                            I left the Carlos v Novak game at 1 set all to go to work. It looked poised for Carlos to take off at that point. It's such a shame he cramped up. It really shouldn't happen in this day and age so early in a match with the right nutrients inside him. I find that one a bit odd.

Just speculating, but prodigies just Rune and Alcaraz are pushed by the system to play a lot of matches, perhaps before their bodies are mature enough to deal with the wear and tear. Yes, they can recover more quickly at that age, and they have lots of energy, but they can be more vulnerable to tendon and muscle damage.

Holger Rune has been candid about his need to get fitter and how he has faded late in several matches this clay court swing. Jannik Sinner's team has mentioned a while back how he needed to get fitter.

Hope he gets over this hump.

Comment

• Bit disappointed to read the latter part of this thread and find no celebration of the Sabalenka-Muchova match.

Always hoped the stars might align and give Muchova a season in the spotlight. Shame she's about to bump into the immovable object in Swiatek, but she has looked like an unstoppable force at times, using all the variety you could ask for. Hope she has enough in the tank to give Iga something to think about.

Muchova keeps the racket in front of her body on both wings and as such is as close to a poster-girl for BG's agenda of teaching women to hit 'ATP' technique as any - more than Iga, imo (I await to be corrected by those who know better!).

regards
                              Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by dimbleby69 View Post

Bit disappointed to read the latter part of this thread and find no celebration of the Sabalenka-Muchova match.

Always hoped the stars might align and give Muchova a season in the spotlight. Shame she's about to bump into the immovable object in Swiatek, but she has looked like an unstoppable force at times, using all the variety you could ask for. Hope she has enough in the tank to give Iga something to think about.

Muchova keeps the racket in front of her body on both wings and as such is as close to a poster-girl for BG's agenda of teaching women to hit 'ATP' technique as any - more than Iga, imo (I await to be corrected by those who know better!).

regards
                                Rob
                                I didn't see the match but I heard it was the match of the tournament so far. I will certainly try to tune in for the final and will take a look at Muchova's vaunted strokes. Any girl who gets close to ATP type strokes is most definitely something to see in my opinion.

Welcome to the thread, by the way...the more astute observations we get, the better, as far as me and the other posters are concerned...thank you!
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2526 users online. 7 members and 2519 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X