French Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stroke View Post
    Absolute packed house for Zverev vs Tiafoe in a huge match for both.
    It is indeed...and it's tense out there at 1 set all.

It's been a see-saw match so far with some bizarre unforced errors at times from Zverez. That huge first serve certainly gets him out of trouble and can make some games incredibly easy to win. Zverev was starting to look more settled during that tiebreak and if he can just find that kind of consistency throughout the rest of the match then he is slight favourite to win. Just love his two-handed backhand...probably my favourite two-hander on the tour.
    Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

It is indeed...and it's tense out there at 1 set all.

It's been a see-saw match so far with some bizarre unforced errors at times from Zverez. That huge first serve certainly gets him out of trouble and can make some games incredibly easy to win. Zverev was starting to look more settled during that tiebreak and if he can just find that kind of consistency throughout the rest of the match then he is slight favourite to win. Just love his two-handed backhand...probably my favourite two-hander on the tour.
      His 2 hander probably is the most lethal at its absolute best. If one throws in service returns, Novak probably still the gold standard. Medvedev is in the conversation also, even though it is a painful looking shot.

Comment

His 2 hander probably is the most lethal at its absolute best. If one throws in service returns, Novak probably still the gold standard. Medvedev is in the conversation also, even though it is a painful looking shot.
        He just seems to get more leverage and thus more power than the other two. It's the one shot of his that is always pretty consistent, unlike other parts of his game.

I feel he's a slightly better player than Tiafoe and should win this match.
        Stotty

Comment

Not the best tennis match you'll ever see but Zverev finally comes though against Tiafoe. Lot's of unforced errors from both players in a rather nervy match.
          Stotty

Comment

I did not remember that Musetti has beaten Alcaraz - and in a big match, and on clay.

ATP: "The pair’s blockbuster round of 16 clash on Sunday in Paris will be a rematch of last summer’s Hamburg final, which was won by Musetti in dramatic fashion, 6-4, 6-7(6), 6-4.

"Musetti let five championship points slip in the middle set of that contest but found the courage to rebound in a deciding set, earning his first ATP title.

Comment

Cross posted from "Rafa Might Miss ..." since the title of that thread might prevent some from seeing.

Rafa had surgery.

Associated Press: Rafael Nadal has hip surgery after missing French Open

"PARIS -- Rafael Nadal had arthroscopic surgery Friday night for the injured left hip flexor that forced him to sit out the French Open for the first time since he won the first of his record 14 titles there in his 2005 tournament debut.

Nadal's spokesman, Benito Perez-Barbadillo, said three doctors were involved in the procedure, which was taking place in Barcelona.

Perez-Barbadillo said he expected to be able to pass along information about the operation Saturday, which is Nadal's 37th birthday.

Nadal has surgery for troublesome hip injury
              Rafael Nadal, who missed the French Open for the first time since 2005, had surgery for the hip injury that has plagued him since the Australian Open.

Rafael Nadal, who missed the French Open for the first time since 2005, had surgery for the hip injury that has plagued him since the Australian Open.

~~~~~

​From what I can find simply from searching online, there are two types of surgery for the psoas muscle. Few patients need surgery, since it normally heals with rest, so Rafa is already an outlier.

"Psoas Lenghtening", which is done by "excision or cutting of the iliopsoas tendon in the hip to reduce pain and improve range of motion". This can be an open surgery or "endoscopic release".

Normal recovery quoted is "4 to 6 months", which means Rafa might not even start practice and rehab before October to December. Might be difficult to debut at Australian Open? Lots of variables there.

Search string: https://www.google.com/search?q=psoa...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Comment

Snapped this straight off the TV screen because I wasn't sure if people would believe two players "averaging" ~83 MPH on forehands, on clay, if I just typed it.

How many "Forehand Showdowns" has Cerundolo won almost in a row this clay court swing? Fritz, Sinner, Ruud (split),

From Peacock+ (aka NBC) site

filedata/fetch?id=101038&d=1685899534&type=thumb
                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Alcaraz was dominant. His forehand on full display, and his best in tennis court coverage.

Comment

Via Craig O'Shanessey of Braingame: Iga Swiatek was won 18 of 22 service games and broken on 18 of 22 return games. On 13 of the 22 return games, Iga has won the first point.

18 Service Breaks: Server’s Score When Broken
                    • 15-40 = 9 times
                    • 30-40 = 5 times
                    • Ad Out = 3 times
                    • 0-40 = 1 time

Comment

Update on Nadal's operation translated from : https://www.atptour.com/es/

>The arthroscopic surgery on the left psoas tendon injury, which has kept Nadal sidelined since this year’s Australian Open, consisted of cleaning the fibrotic and degenerated areas of the tendon both proximal and distal, as well as stitching it to adequately reinforce it. The team also tended to an old injury to the labrum of the Spaniard’s left hip.​

"“We reached this situation for various reasons,” explained the doctor. “We had a core issue — injuring a muscle is not the same as a tendon. When we put it under large loads, the tendon was not responding because it was not strong enough.”

"“The decision to operate was made recently,” admitted Cotorro. “We tried all the conservative options, which is how these injuries are normally treated. But when the situation doesn’t work, you have to take decisions.”

“We have a high chance of success,” said Cotorro. “All the remaining part of the tendon is healthy and will regenerate, but it needs time to regenerate and it needs to be treated in a way that allows that to happen.”

The doctor revealed that Nadal has already begun his rehabilitation.

“It’s an operation that allows you to do some things, but not others. He will be in a period of limited rehabilitation for 10 days, then he will start to work in the pool and on the bike,” Ruiz Cotorro said. “Exercise that affects the tendon must be eliminated. From there, there is a healing period, which is always determined by biology. The first six weeks will be the most important. From there, we’ll do tests and see how to continue with the recovery.”

Comment

Tsitsipas gets through looking pretty good. Next up for him, the match of the tournament thus far, vs Alcaraz. Alcaraz will of course be the clear favorite. Tsitsipas moves very well and is very fit, and comes in 2nd to Alcaraz there. Tsitsipas has a top 4 clay court forehand, and is 2nd to Alcaraz there also. Alcaraz has a better backhand, and better drop shots. Serve, I would even give Alcaraz the edge there. I am picking Alcaraz.

Comment

Tsitsipas gets through looking pretty good. Next up for him, the match of the tournament thus far, vs Alcaraz. Alcaraz will of course be the clear favorite. Tsitsipas moves very well and is very fit, and comes in 2nd to Alcaraz there. Tsitsipas has a top 4 clay court forehand, and is 2nd to Alcaraz there also. Alcaraz has a better backhand, and better drop shots. Serve, I would even give Alcaraz the edge there. I am picking Alcaraz.
                          Safe bet. H2H 4-0 Carlitos.
                          Tsitisi did take a 2-1 set lead at US Open, but he's only won 1 set in 3 tries vs Alcaraz on clay.
                          Should he change it up as an underdog? Go DTL the a lot more, exploit Alcaraz's constant run around forehands, maybe?

Comment

Rather dull one-sided matches today. I thought Musetti would do better...disappointing.

Alcaraz is clear favourite in my view. He's better off both wings and is the player of the moment. His confidence is also sky high. Tsitsipas does have a chance but he will need to at his very best and be able to blot out his poor head to head record against Alcaraz thus far. But to be honest, I can't figure out how he could beat Alcaraz at the moment...just doesn't have the game to do it.
                            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                              Update on Nadal's operation translated from : https://www.atptour.com/es/

>The arthroscopic surgery on the left psoas tendon injury, which has kept Nadal sidelined since this year’s Australian Open, consisted of cleaning the fibrotic and degenerated areas of the tendon both proximal and distal, as well as stitching it to adequately reinforce it. The team also tended to an old injury to the labrum of the Spaniard’s left hip.​

"“We reached this situation for various reasons,” explained the doctor. “We had a core issue — injuring a muscle is not the same as a tendon. When we put it under large loads, the tendon was not responding because it was not strong enough.”

"“The decision to operate was made recently,” admitted Cotorro. “We tried all the conservative options, which is how these injuries are normally treated. But when the situation doesn’t work, you have to take decisions.”

“We have a high chance of success,” said Cotorro. “All the remaining part of the tendon is healthy and will regenerate, but it needs time to regenerate and it needs to be treated in a way that allows that to happen.”

The doctor revealed that Nadal has already begun his rehabilitation.

“It’s an operation that allows you to do some things, but not others. He will be in a period of limited rehabilitation for 10 days, then he will start to work in the pool and on the bike,” Ruiz Cotorro said. “Exercise that affects the tendon must be eliminated. From there, there is a healing period, which is always determined by biology. The first six weeks will be the most important. From there, we’ll do tests and see how to continue with the recovery.”
                              I think he's finished. At 37 years old it simply has to be career ending, at least in terms of winning 1000 events or majors again. Shame. Probably injury will bring Novak down too in the end.
                              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post

I think he's finished. At 37 years old it simply has to be career ending, at least in terms of winning 1000 events or majors again. Shame. Probably injury will bring Novak down too in the end.
                                I have said before, Fed was the gold standard defeating Father Time until now. Novak has once again eclipsed him.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3051 users online. 4 members and 3047 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X