No announcement yet.

French Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big win by Kokkanakis today over Stan. Musetti and Fognini looking very good.

Comment

Interesting article on the FO balls being used.

Comment

Novak goes a set and a break up. I have only seen bits and bobs but it looked a pretty good level. Fucsovics served a double fault at 30-30 in the opening game of the second set and then, naturally, goes on to lose the game. The last thing you want to do is serve a double fault at 30-30 against Novak. It's as good as curtains.
        Stotty

Comment

Novak canters home with considerable room to spare. If he can build momentum round by round, he will become very difficult to beat towards the latter stages.

Musetti versus Norrie will be the first really interesting contest of the tournament for me. Norrie is a great benchmark for any player up and coming player to gauge themselves.
          Stotty

Comment

Sinner and Altmaier 1 set apiece in a real slugfest. Altmaier 1 hander looks like it is right there with Musetti.

Comment

So much for Jannik Sinner on clay. Couldn't serve it out in the fourth & paid the price.

RG site: "Altmaier saved two match points in the fourth set to force a decider then claimed a crucial break of serve in the fifth to put himself in the position to serve for the victory. Just like Sinner couldn't close in the fourth, Altmaier got broken as Sinner levelled for 5-5. But Sinner wasn't able to hold serve and Altmaier got a second chance to serve out the match. Sinner saved four match points - one with a killer passing shot like Altmaier did in the fourth set - but Altmaier converted his fifth opportunity to complete the upset 6-7(0), 7-6(7), 1-6, 7-6(4), 7-5

Comment

I'll be watching for how Zverev plays tonight. With Medy & Sinner out, the bottom quarter really opens up for Zverev & Ruud, two players having off years for quite different reasons that have a window to play themselves into tournament sharpness in time for a big match or two.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                  So much for Jannik Sinner on clay. Couldn't serve it out in the fourth & paid the price.

RG site: "Altmaier saved two match points in the fourth set to force a decider then claimed a crucial break of serve in the fifth to put himself in the position to serve for the victory. Just like Sinner couldn't close in the fourth, Altmaier got broken as Sinner levelled for 5-5. But Sinner wasn't able to hold serve and Altmaier got a second chance to serve out the match. Sinner saved four match points - one with a killer passing shot like Altmaier did in the fourth set - but Altmaier converted his fifth opportunity to complete the upset 6-7(0), 7-6(7), 1-6, 7-6(4), 7-5
                  Poster child for "small margins" at ATP tennis. Unrelated side note, I am thinking of starting my own personal thread, I am going to call "Small Margins", and just drone on and on about thoughts on this, musings if you will, and I may even venture outside of these said parameters, just because.
                  Last edited by stroke; 06-01-2023, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post

Poster child for "small margins" at ATP tennis. Unrelated side note, I am thinking of starting my own personal thread, I am going to call "Small Margins", and just drone on and on about thoughts on this, musings if you will, and I may even venture outside of these said parameters, just because.
                    Might be worth creating! And it is certainly, often true. What's the average point margin? 5 points?

Or, you could veer toward the opposite pole and go minimalist, snarky. If you quote a post such as mine, your entire comment could be "sm", and only those in the know would know.

Sort of like, TLNR as the only response ( Too Long No Read }

Comment

Hopefully I will get the chance to see Norrie v Musetti tomorrow. It should be a good match. They are very closely ranked in the ATP rankings and it's a lefty forehand going into the Musetti backhand....always an interesting match up that one.

Novak has a more of a challenge than usual at this stage in the draw...Fokina is no mug.

And then there's Alcaraz v El Shapo.
                      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                        Hopefully I will get the chance to see Norrie v Musetti tomorrow. It should be a good match. They are very closely ranked in the ATP rankings and it's a lefty forehand going into the Musetti backhand....always an interesting match up that one.

Novak has a more of a challenge than usual at this stage in the draw...Fokina is no mug.

And then there's Alcaraz v El Shapo.
                        Good match-ups indeed! Thanks for highlighting Musetti-Norrie, that's one I'll make time for.

Comment

Well, that was a courageous performance out there by Fritz, with the worst behaved tennis crowd I think I have ever seen at a Major. There are really no words to describe that crowd. Certainly a sign of the times.

Comment

Sonego and Rublev now stand at two sets all. I quite like Sonego. He's better to watch than Rublev who is really just a crash-bang-wallop merchant with the touch of a donkey. Sonego by contrast has a magical touch and played really well to take the fourth set.
                            Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                              Sonego and Rublev now stand at two sets all. I quite like Sonego. He's better to watch than Rublev who is really just a crash-bang-wallop merchant with the touch of a donkey. Sonego by contrast has a magical touch and played really well to take the fourth set.
                              Sonego has a very nice game and competes really well. The favorites are certainly looking like the favorites, but watch out for Fritz and Cerundolo winner.

Comment

Musetti looks great routining Norrie. We will certainly see where he is at next up probably vs Alcaraz.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3833 users online. 4 members and 3829 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X