French Open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stotty View Post

I think he's finished. At 37 years old it simply has to be career ending, at least in terms of winning 1000 events or majors again. Shame. Probably injury will bring Novak down too in the end.
    It's a lot to come back from. I still hold out hope that Rafa can have the positive good-bye he deserves.

Perhaps just shoot for 2024 clay season and bow out on Roland Garros before a cheering crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post

It's a lot to come back from. I still hold out hope that Rafa can have the positive good-bye he deserves.

Perhaps just shoot for 2024 clay season and bow out on Roland Garros before a cheering crowd.
      I think Nadal is good to go with his 14, not that it matters what I think.

Comment

Tuesday's popcorn events include:

* Elina Svitolina in only her second tournament back from maternity leave (she won the 2 weeks ago)) into the quarterfinals takes on number 2 seed Sabalenka.

* Alcaraz vs Tsitsipas. Is this just a tune-up for the blockbuster Alcaraz vs Djokovic semifinal? After winning a great, comeback from a 4th set bagel 5-setter in their first meeting at US Open, it's been all one way traffic, H2H is 4-0 Carlitos.

* Djokovic vs Khachanov So far, Djokovic is sailing. But he's only met one, solitary seeded player, Fokina at 29, and needed 2 tiebreaks to top him. Interesting stats from Craig O'Shannessy. Djokovic's second serve isn't working as well as it has historically. He's won 52% of points behind his second serve, barely above the tournament average of 49%, and well down from his normal 55-60% range. Meanwhile, Alcaraz, his putative semifinal opponent, is winning a sizzling 62% behind his second to lead the tournament in that stat. "Of the 12 players left, Djokovic is ranked just 10% in this category and 36th best for the tournament."

G’day From Paris. Novak Djokovic has not dropped a set on his way to the 2023 Roland Garros quarter-finals. Twelve sets played. Twelve sets won, even though four have been extended to tie-breaks. Next up for Djokovic is big-serving Karen Khachanov, who also has the power and strength to match him off the ground.

Comment

What an atmosphere, packed house, for Rune in 5 sets over Cerundolo.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
            What an atmosphere, packed house, for Rune in 5 sets over Cerundolo.
            Wow! Left briefly after Cerdundolo won the fourth at 6-1 and didn't see this coming, Rune in a 5th set tiebreak 10-7.

Cerdundolo won more points with fewer errors and won 7 of 20 break points, Rune only 4 of 8 -- but Rune won the match.

Great win particularly since Rune admitted he had trouble lasting in long matches since he doesn't yet have the endurance of older players.

Comment

Still a packed house for Zverev vs Grigor, but this has not been an enthralling match at all.

Comment

Seems I'm missing all the good matches and getting all the duff ones when I take time off during the day to watch...

Seems the Rune v Cerdundolo match was a corker.
                Stotty

Comment

Quarters Are Set

Swiatek-Gauff reprises last year's women's final.
                  Rune-Ruud was the Rome semi and Ruud was last year's men's finalist vs the sadly-missed Rafa.
                  Zverev seeks to make the semis as he continues the climb to regain his form after a year-ending injury in last year's semifinals vs Rafa.​

filedata/fetch?id=101072&d=1686003061&type=thumb
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Djokovic escapes K2 after losing the first set. 4-6 7-6(0) 6-2 6-4 .

Into the semifinals without facing a single player in the Top 10. That used to be explained by ND having he top seed. Now, he's 3 and gets the same clear path. Curious.

Comment

Sorry, but I can't resist sharing this. Add a new one to Djokovic's list of pseudoscience miracles.

If it works like Djokovic says, isn't this a PED ?

"Djokovic Claims ‘Nanotechnology’ Patch On His Chest Boosts His On-Court Performance"

"Tao Technologies, an Italian company that sells the “TaoPatch” Djokovic used, claimed on Twitter the tiny disc is “activated by sunlight and body heat” and its “nanocrystals emit photons towards the body providing several health benefits.”

Comment

Both are out now but I nominate Elina Svitolina and Francisco Cerundolo respectively for the unofficial titles of tournament Cinderella & Cinderella.

What break out performances! Cerundolo out forehanded some great forehands. Sivtilona came back from maternity leave to win her first event back, Straussbourg, flew to Paris and made today's quarterfinals, but out in 2 to Sabalenka. Best performance in a supporting act, hubby Gael Manfils came from behind to win in 5 sets before departing with aching everything.

Great showing all !

Comment

Originally posted by jimlosaltos View Post
                          Both are out now but I nominate Elina Svitolina and Francisco Cerundolo respectively for the unofficial titles of tournament Cinderella & Cinderella.

What break out performances! Cerundolo out forehanded some great forehands. Sivtilona came back from maternity leave to win her first event back, Straussbourg, flew to Paris and made today's quarterfinals, but out in 2 to Sabalenka. Best performance in a supporting act, hubby Gael Manfils came from behind to win in 5 sets before departing with aching everything.

Great showing all !
                          All that really falls into the whatever category big picture. Cerundolo certainly impressed, but big picture, just a brutal ATP footnote. Match of the tournament now on tap, Alcaraz vs Tsitsipas.

Comment

This is a bit hard to watch. Alcatraz is simply better than Tsitsipas at everything other than being taller.

Comment

Carlos rolls through the first set with some ease. I am struggling to see how Stephanos can combat Carlos. The match up is awful for him and on top of that Carlos is super confident right now.
                              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by stotty View Post
                                Carlos rolls through the first set with some ease. I am struggling to see how Stephanos can combat Carlos. The match up is awful for him and on top of that Carlos is super confident right now.
                                The bottom line to me, not that it matters, is Carlos is better at all aspects of tennis. Stef is taller though.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7981 users online. 5 members and 7976 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X