A New Year's Serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upward Emphasis Forehand

Utter relaxation of the hitting arm enables the racket to gravity-drop close behind one's ankle bone.

The looseness of this exempts the arm from the tyranny of unit turn happening at exact same time.

Forward turn of top half of the body lowers the shoulder while driving hips forward and off to the side away from the ball with arm scissoring at same time.

The hips, like a coaxial cable, fire the shoulder, arm and racket upward as pliable knees drive toward the net.

The rotating hips feel like they plunge rather than extend.

The rhythm of this shot in a hurried service return is 1-2 .

A normal slam shot however is 1-2-3 with slight pause during which the player does nothing between the downward and level-to-upward action.

One could also say "the player does nothing" at the beginning of the shot if referring to the gravity drop down of the arm.

Next, after two nothings in a row, the arm does everything.

1) Its bending or scissoring of arm optionally turns into a mild roll or not.

2) Its lifting and transmittal of energy rising from the coaxial hips is pure simultaneity.

1) and 2) taken together are simultaneity.

The narrow frame action is a delayed concentrate.

There can be no separation into different parts in the human mind whatsoever if this stripped down shot is to meet with success.

The simpler something is, however, the more ambiguous it may become.

Use of the biceps-- a powerful muscle-- may now come into play.

Or not. If not, smooth scissoring rather than twitch scissoring will feel for the ball.

Thinking more about this subject, if a bad idea, nevertheless is good fun specially if one maintains 123 rhythm for two options.

Gentle scissoring replaces dead stick pause at low point and thus becomes count 2 .

Forcible scissoring relies on dead stick or static pause first.

This would be the difference-- in ping-pong-- between a holding shot and a totally committed slam.

In an hour's warmup, one could think, one would hit 10 "feelies" (holding shots) to 1 slam.
    Last edited by bottle; 12-06-2017, 07:54 AM.

Comment

• Why You Don't Fall Over in these Shots

Because you add forward pressure toward the net with both knees. This not only gives effortless pace to the shot but subdues and controls the concluding hips turn although it still is plenty fast.
      Last edited by bottle; 12-07-2017, 05:27 AM.

Comment

• New Topspin Forehand: Don't Bend Knees Too Soon!

I am an Escher (John Escher) who eschews. And I eschew bending the knees a lot near the beginning of this intriguing shot. In an effort to get the racket extra low of course.

No. Get the racket low in other ways.

And save bending of the knees for contact so as to give effortless weight to the shot.

Reader, I wouldn't underestimate this change if I were you.

The shoulder, the arm and the racket go up.

The hips and the knees go down.
        Last edited by bottle; 12-07-2017, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• The Hips Only Come Down One Inch

Most of this inch is squashed out over several inches of forward travel.

The hips rotate around an axis but with the axis moving forward.
          Last edited by bottle; 12-07-2017, 07:30 AM.

Comment

• Dogpat, Breaststroke, Loop: Replace it All with Gliding Snake Head

Me, I think that despite all the whittling down that has recently occurred in this evolving stroke, one still needs a bit of transition between arm straightening and arm scissoring.

They are opposite motions, after all, with no pleasant linkage between them similar to that offered by arm scissor and arm twist. Those two events are naturally sequential.

One can therefore be quick in sending arm down straight.

Once straight it can still go back a bit more with backward turn of the shoulders. That gives it time in which to get ready to bend.

Meanwhile, one can maximize the rearward body turn by not only pointing across but pointing on a slant backward toward right rear fence post

This like a McEnrueful is an early separation shot, i.e., the two hands immediately leave one another.

And one can and should use any trick one can think of to maximize one's shoulder's turn.

Grigor Dimitrov actually squeezes his arms short to keep left hand on the racket for longer.

In early hand separation shots, one may need an equally good trick.
            Last edited by bottle; 12-07-2017, 07:28 AM.

Comment

• Planning on a Progression Rather than a Solution

I'm thinking of how in the new shot the arm straightens then bends. Could one be building elastic power toward compression even as elbow straightens? If so that slows the straightening.

My opposite idea, already expressed, is get the arm straight early and use the scissoring as mere "feel" device.

One knows that the "feel" shots work. The assumption has to be that the slam shots eventually will work too.

Even though most serious serve instruction aspires more to loading twist potential of the upper arm, one maybe ought to ask, Can both ISR (internal shoulder rotation) and arm compression-extension (fantastically quick) be similarly loaded? Or is that too much to ask?

If both work in a serve-- i.e., ISR and the compression-extension pairing-- then both can work in a forehand.

In a serve, of course, compression precedes extension. In the part of the forehand we are discussing, however, extension precedes compression or scissoring. After which there is more extension as elbow flies.
              Last edited by bottle; 12-08-2017, 05:25 AM.

Comment

• A Post with Drawing of Tom Okker's Front Knee During his Topspin Forehand

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#in...0371b1fef0061e

Comment

• Too Much Concern About Options

Was lucky enough to find a good partner for a simple hit after the three sets and dinner and not worry about having sufficient energy for a 40-mile dangerous drive home.

Since now I live half a mile from the tennis facility.

Have created, through editing, all kinds of time for myself, time that now will best be used in finding rhythm.

The arm slowly snakes down and breaks forward. But the idea of overlap first-- arm getting straight and then going back with bod a tiny bit more isn't bad.

There is no percentage in hurrying anything. Bought time needs wise use.

Area to dwell on: steeper rise of bent arm as hips and knees pry forward.

The McEnrueful, despite its composite grip, also carried a bit more topspin. Where did that come from?
                  Last edited by bottle; 12-09-2017, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bottle View Post
                    A Post with Drawing of Tom Okker's Front Knee During his Topspin Forehand

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#in...0371b1fef0061e
                    To build on these two drawings, make sure that heinie is away from the ball but not forward toward the net so that its later coming through will add weight to the shot.

Comment

• Old Age One Hand Topspin Backhand

Old age should mean "more economical." Which means that a person of any age can learn from it since good economy in tennis is ageless absolute.

Why take racket back high? One wouldn't want to eliminate one's loop completely but a waist high takeback in many instances should suffice.

Take the racket back and straighten the arm. Then spin the bod horizontally. Then spin the arm vertically. If not generating enough topspin then make contact farther to the side. That allows for steeper racket rise.

Comment

• In Present Forehand Progression: You Don't have to Straighten Arm All the Way

You just have to straighten it enough so that there will be some confident scissoring the other way simultaneous with shoulder rolling down to push hips away from the ball-- to the side.

The same free thinking that allowed elimination of loop (were shots then less spinny?-- I don't think so) can now be applied to question of arm length.

Why not just find the degree of bend one wants at the outset and thereby eliminate the scissoring too?

I'll try that but suspect before going to court that less racket head speed will germinate.

My hunch is that the arm extension-compression complex, if properly limited, will combine with subsequent arm roll to produce more controlled spin than other methods.

But will report back.

While committing fully to Okker's unique means of neutral stance weight transfer (unique but close to that of Budge and Vines), one knows that one isn't small and quick with long stringy arms like Tiny Tom, hence the ultimate decision to scrape the ball from a loopless double-bend.

If this avenue can find one's destination, possibility of more variation in original pitch setting will open up.

Further speculation (since weather outside looks cold and forbidding with snow on the ground): no scissoring = less spin.

So one plays now with free motion within the elbow in both directions to find best muscular linked and continuous combination.

One can in other words roll up different facets of the ball.

One also can completely coordinate whatever degree of limited arm extension there is with turning back of shoulders, i.e., employ these two motions in tandem rather than overlap.

When gliding to a distant ball one can gradually lengthen the arm at unbelievably low and measured speed.
                        Last edited by bottle; 12-10-2017, 06:12 PM.

Comment

• Go for a Concentrate of Arm Twist Right After Arm Squeeze

Precise and special contact point will figure heavily in the success of this experiment.

The CP needs to be out front, yes, but also to one's right, which posits it back a bit.

This CP (contact point) to the right creates both the inside-out and steep arm bam one wants.

I'm thinking of arm bam or elbow lift toward right net post.

Now arm squeeze (scissoring) aims strings at inside of ball.

Then twisting, lifting elbow contacts backside and outside of ball.

That leaves only a very comfortable follow through like a point after touchdown over the left yoke-- comfortable since the arm twist in the stroke is out of the way.

What the bod does through all of this remains the subject of another post that probably has been written here many times.

To put it in a nutshell hips drive sideways then forward rotating on gliding knees.

One definitely wants to hit the ball with the weight of one's full butt.

Not to be too ridiculous, one creates one's butt by protruding it a bit then sends it twirling while traveling toward the net.

Chant: Downswing, then butt out, then butt through.
                          Last edited by bottle; 12-11-2017, 04:05 AM.

Comment

• How much do hips glide while rotating in a golf swing? Should this motion be the same in a tennis forehand?-- I think not.

But the best answer depends no doubt on the nature of the forehand. In a forehand that adopts the pressing knees of Tom Okker instead of extending or leaping legs, the lower body remains connected and close to the ground.

Most power swings in golf end with leg extension which cuts off the linear hips travel no matter how much or little of it there was before.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui...f_jay62rug0&zw

(Blow up the image in this link.)
                            Last edited by bottle; 12-11-2017, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3202 users online. 6 members and 3196 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                            X