A New Year's Serve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bottle View Post
    With Steve, who also has directed unforgivable language my way, things are different in that I met with him and there is considerable history in this relationship behind both of us.
    Originally posted by bottle View Post
    Let's all have a bit of dignity. It isn't necessary to take down every person who has a voice
    I can only hope that I am done with this now. It has been a stain on don_budge's legacy to have been drawn into this fiasco of childish nonsense. Unforgivable language? Listen to me Escher...I didn't like being called Nazi, Bigot, Racist, Sexist, Misogynist by you anymore than I liked being called a nigger by others in the past. Other names. Always names. A host of Indian names. I didn't like the ones that I love most in the world being dragged into this. You are no better than the nemesis of my past. You are a bigot of the worst kind and of course you cannot see it as you believe your own lies. I hate hypocrites more than anything.

We had a history? Yeah...until I met you in person and realized what a bigot you were. Immediately you tried to paint me into a picture of your own rendering...you wanted to label me in the worst way. Republican! Conservative! Just as you have called me names ever since. Just because I don't subscribe to your ideology. I won't be dragged into stooping to your level. Your obsession with Trump hating has changed you. Fundamentally. At the very least it has changed your personna. I wonder if this had something to do with your breakup. It's none of my business.

I didn't like those people that did that to me in the past but it taught me something in life. About life. When I was young it fueled my tennis playing. I played with a vengeance. I destroyed people. On the tennis court. I know why Richard Gonzalez was so ferocious. I could destroy you. But I am not going to do it. Because Jesus told me so. Don't do it he said.

I feel the same sort of thing here in Sweden...the land of Liberalism. But beneath every beating heart lies the beast. The human being. The Human Race. Go ahead...label me a racist. I am the outsider. Always have been and always will be. I don't care if it is 10 billion against one...the odds do not daunt me. I stand alone...on my own merits and my own liabilities.

By all means...go and fuck yourself. The world too. The tennis world too. You have taught me the great lesson once again The Great Educator. The Great Bastion of Education. You teach the word hate better than anyone I have ever known. No sympathy from me...you made your bed. Go and lie in it. You owe everyone here an apology. But it isn't coming.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Silly boy.

Comment

• [QUOTE=don_budge;n65886]

I think I like women and African Americans as much as the next guy. I look past the demographics as much as possible and see people...which have a tendency to disappoint in general. Can one be accused of racism if their faith in the human race comes up short of smelling like roses?
        [URL="http://w

Certainly. The one has nothing to do with the other.

Comment

• American Education All Set

A HISTORY OF THE WORLD (name of the book we used in the five hours of social studies I taught yesterday).

Originally posted by bottle View Post
          teachestennis may be even worse. When I take everybody together I begin to approach the conclusion that I don't like people who teach tennis very much. But there are great exceptions. Jim Kacian, Shea Brown, Sebastien Foka, and -- if I may drop a name-- Luke Jensen come to mind. I associate some great teachers with Tennis Player as well. Everybody agrees on who they are.
          I can't find the post where teachestennis equates me with everything wrong in American education. He must have deleted it. I proceed anyway.

I got fired because I could not handle the discipline component required for long-term substitute work in an overcrowded Betsy de Vos charter school.

Also, the school canceled its contract with my sponsoring organization, which meant that a wonderful math teacher from Somalia lost his job at the same time.

The incident included a teacher with dyed blonde hair bursting into my classroom and demanding to know who hit me.

"Nobody hit me," I said. "That is a rumor."

The incident involved two provocateurs coming to more than their scheduled one of my five classes on Wednesday just as they did on Tuesday.

A good thing I have fast reflexes from playing tennis even though I am 78 years old.

I lost a new stapler and a staple remover, don't want to go back to the school to try and retrieve them. I'll use paper clips next time if there is a next time.

Thanks for the voodoo, guys. To quote Vachel Lindsay, "Mumbo-jumbo will voodoo you."

The future of American education is secure.
          Last edited by bottle; 09-14-2017, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• Lakoff writes: Freedom in a free society Is supposed to be for all. Therefore, freedom rules out imposing on the freedom of others. You are free to walk down the street, but not to keep others from doing so.

Comment

American Education All Set

A HISTORY OF THE WORLD (name of the book we used in the five hours of social studies I taught yesterday).

I can't find the post where teachestennis equates me with everything wrong in American education. He must have deleted it. I proceed anyway.

I got fired because I could not handle the discipline component required for long-term substitute work in an overcrowded Betsy de Vos charter school.

Also, the school canceled its contract with my sponsoring organization, which meant that a wonderful math teacher from Somalia lost his job at the same time.

The incident included a teacher with dyed blonde hair bursting into my classroom and demanding to know who hit me.

"Nobody hit me," I said. "That is a rumor."

The incident involved two provocateurs coming to more than their scheduled one of my five classes on Wednesday just as they did on Tuesday.

A good thing I have fast reflexes from playing tennis even though I am 78 years old.

I lost a new stapler and a staple remover, don't want to go back to the school to try and retrieve them. I'll use paper clips next time if there is a next time.

Thanks for the voodoo, guys. To quote Vachel Lindsay, "Mumbo-jumbo will voodoo you."

The future of American education is secure.
              Well, I for one am glad you're out of there. You were in over your head.

Comment

• Originally posted by 10splayer View Post

Well, I for one am glad you're out of there. You were in over your head.
                Thank you. That's nice. Would have been over your head too. Or over anybody's head.

Comment

• Okay

I'm okay, okay, okay, okay, okay. Or did I use the word "okay" too many times?

Maybe I can just do short-term substitution. Lion taming works best kept short and simple.

"Take a piece of paper. You are in a small plane a mile high. The engine fails. The plane begins to plunge. Now what do you see and think and feel?"

It is interesting that don_budge thinks I use a "strawman" approach in trying to instruct, I guess either here in the forum or in a classroom.

I never understood what he meant until he recently said I ask a question and then answer it myself.

I do that. But there is a pause. The student or reader addresses the question and maybe comes up with an answer more interesting than mine.

This is an acceptable way to use one's power of conversation.

If the student/reader fails to answer well, one proceeds to give one's own answer.

Comment

• [QUOTE=don_budge;n65968]
                    No sympathy from me...you made your bed. Go and lie in it.

Yeah, I made a terrible decision when I decided to do improv theater with 14-year-old Maxine on the train from Toronto to Windsor. Should be drawn and quartered for that one.

Comment

Thank you. That's nice. Would have been over your head too. Or over anybody's head.
                      Yep, that is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by 10splayer View Post

Yep, that is true.
                        Reader, can you believe this!? My God. A temporary truce has fallen upon the world.

Comment

Reader, can you believe this!? My God. A temporary truce has fallen upon the world.
                          Just make it last longer than 90 minutes....

Stotty

Comment

• Originally posted by stotty View Post

Just make it last longer than 90 minutes....

http://humanevents.com/2014/08/01/sh...st-90-minutes/
                            Good wan. And that reminds me that Ezra Pound said that France achieved intellectual superiority in the world when it shortened the class period in schools to 40 minutes.

(https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/a...zra_pound.html)
                            Last edited by bottle; 09-14-2017, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• Ellie-bam or Federfore?

It is an amusing conception to imagine a mind exactly balanced between two equal desires. For it is indubitable that it will never decide, since inclination and choice imply inequality in value; and if we were placed between the bottle and the ham with an equal appetite for drinking and for eating, there would doubtless be no solution but to die of thirst and of hunger.-- Montaigne
                              Last edited by bottle; 09-15-2017, 03:52 PM.

Comment

• Old and Interesting Tennis Books

TENNIS WITHOUT MISTAKES by Vince Eldred, with a picture of Tim Mayotte on the cover.

This book, though very good throughout, would be worth its price just for the compact one hand backhand it teaches.

Also, in his introduction, George Plimpton is terrific in explaining the trouble that literary people have with the lingo of contemporary tennis, asserting that they take the admonitions, mottoes and tips too literally.

George Plimpton on Vince Eldred: "I am especially partial to Vince Eldred's metaphorical usage...to such hints as to pretend to place the jar on the shelf in order to extend the toss of the ball for the serve. Excellent for me-- one who has the bad habit of letting the ball drop too far, until it's a question of whether my ear or the racquet is going to hit it first."
                                Last edited by bottle; 09-15-2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3761 users online. 8 members and 3753 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X