Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have been going over some of Chris Lewit's stuff. He mentioned a concept about the serve I never heard of. He said that the acceleration stage starts from the racquet drop. I have always started the acceleration from the bottom of the drop. Is Chris right?[

Comment

• Ralph,
      This article really gvies the picture. The racket does accelerate from the trophy position to the drop. It's just that the bulk of the acceleration happens from drop to contact.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
        Ralph,
        This article really gvies the picture. The racket does accelerate from the trophy position to the drop. It's just that the bulk of the acceleration happens from drop to contact.

https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...ead_speed.html
        that is outstanding, thx for the article link... does that imply that folks with abbreviated motions leave a little something on the table (3.5-10mph?) obviously not a big deal if the entire motion is in the 100mph range, especially if it means improved accuracy and rhythm, etc...
        someone like jarry being an extreme case where he starts in the trophy pose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUSHjCHGnm8, but even roddick has an obvious pause in his trophy pose... i guess he's losing something there too?

Comment

• Maybe maybe not! Who knows what happens once the arm does move in other abbreviated motions--particularly in Roddick's case coming from the side. Where as Pete's may be more gradual. Brian Gordon for example is happy to have people start in basically the trophy position. To me the key in all is the racket drop position. People fixate on backswing shapes and don't realize the magic moment is the drop to the contact.

Comment

Maybe maybe not! Who knows what happens once the arm does move in other abbreviated motions--particularly in Roddick's case coming from the side. Where as Pete's may be more gradual. Brian Gordon for example is happy to have people start in basically the trophy position. To me the key in all is the racket drop position. People fixate on backswing shapes and don't realize the magic moment is the drop to the contact.
            thx for the response.
            that's what i found in my own development... that the critical fundamental is from the trophy pose onwards... i've experimented with various rhythms (classic, staggered, abbreviated)... but since my timing sucks, i found that the abbreviated worked best for me (in terms of timing/coordinating the body from the trophy pose). occasionally i can hit a long flowy classic style swing, but more often than not, it messes up my timing, so i abandoned the classic/staggered rhythms.

Comment

• That's why there is no one way on so many elements.

Comment

• I think allowing a free month of tennisplayer.net allows spammers to get in and post on the discussion forum.

Comment

• This is true. It also allows us to increase subscribers so we live with it...

Comment

This is true. It also allows us to increase subscribers so we live with it...
                    Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                    I think allowing a free month of tennisplayer.net allows spammers to get in and post on the discussion forum.
                    So that's how they do it. I have often wondered how spam gets in the forum. We had to abandon our club contact form because it was constantly invaded with spam which built up to around 200 spam emails a day at one point.

Be nice to stand these people in front of Andy Roddick's first serve and execute them one by one. They are such a pain.
                    Stotty

Comment

• I think we will survive. It's a spam world.

Comment

• John -

If you had extra cash (up to $10,000) and could spend it on the highest quality professional slow motion camera, what set up would you purchase and why?

Comment

• Depends on what I wanted to film! For students no need for anything like that.

Comment

• John, the side menu has disappeared from the forum page. Are we still in update stages or is this a glitch?
                            Stotty

Comment

• Nah we have to get the Forum into the new format. It will be back!

Comment

• John -

Someone named Donald Matakis has posted Brian Gordon's Serve series on YOUTUBE. The series starts with the title "Brian Gordon Part 1 Serve". He has parts 1 - 5 up, as well, I didn't see part 6 thus far. It looks like it has been up for 2 weeks.

SeanO

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8065 users online. 6 members and 8059 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X