X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know nothing! I will ask around.

Comment

• @JY

Two suggestions from "the field" for the site.

1: Can we talk about the back of the hand w/r/t grips? I have noticed a lot of students who think they have X forehand grip because their index knuckle is on the requisite bevel when in reality their grip is much more mild because their heel pad is on a different, sometimes 1.5 difference bevel. Also on the serve can we look at the back of the grip as it applies to lining the knuckles up along or across the bevels to that you get more or less racquet head path movement with ISR. I know Pat Doughrety preaches knuckles along the bevel to form an L with the forearm and assist in racquet head inside the hand, but most don't do that and still make contact inside the hand.

2: As they are coming, can you add more WTA players to the high speed archive who demonstrate technique from your articles? I teach a lot of girls and sometimes it is nice to show a 14 year old another girl and not Roger Federer hitting a forehand. Also, I know it would be a lot of work, but an index would be great so if I wanted to look for someone who served with whatever stance or hit a forehand with whatever grip, bent or straight, you could have a list of the players. or perhaps list it on their name, I.E. Roger Federer: Extreme Eastern straight arm forehand, medium with platform, moderate one hand bh.

Just a few thoughts.

J

Comment

• JR,

Good thoughts. But what is w/r/t? In all the grip articles I write anyway I always refer to both key points--knuckle and heel pad. You can check it out in this month's 1HBH article. I love Pat D. but don't always agree with his preaching... Look at the differences in the above article regarding hand spacing, knuckle alignment. I don't see those as a big deal.

As for WTA, yes. It's a race to accumulate footage with all the new men's players being at the top of my filming list. Just being honest. 90% of our subscribers are men and I hope to have enough footage of whichever new guy wins the next Slam to put up a full portrait. With all the You Tube fuckers abusing the rules and filming illegally it's had a restrictive effect on us--painted with the same brush unfairly!. That said if you look through the Forum over the past 3 years there are mini portraits of a lot of the top women. Halep, Kerber, Keys, Osaka, Sloane, Coco, Barty and others.

https://www.tennisplayer.net/members...ast_forum.html

It's an interesting question what to show students. Obviously most of the women have big behind the body backswings. Not that they don't work because they do. My fear is showing that as a model could lead to even bigger more exaggerated backswings as players try to copy positions. My own approach is to show women the compact guys--Fed, Grigor, but then see. Never had awoman that developed a pure ATP motion, but I think the compact model probably moderates the huge wind ups.
        Last edited by johnyandell; 11-19-2019, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• W/R/T= with regard to.

Yea, I think many coaches have done a disservice to girls.

I'm doing good work out there getting the 14-16 year olds cut down to reasonable backswings, but it is a slow process.

Obviously the ankle biters are easier because they do what I tell them without any preexisting huge takebacks. But it would be nice to be able to show a girl the stroke actually working for another girl. I radared my feed at 76mph with no backswing so that gets their attention to say I can do this with nothing so what are you doing out here.

Gonna have to wait 5 years and see how it works out.

J

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
            It's an interesting question what to show students. Obviously most of the women have big behind the body backswings. Not that they don't work because they do. My fear is showing that as a model could lead to even bigger more exaggerated backswings as players try to copy positions. My own approach is to show women the compact guys--Fed, Grigor, but then see. Never had awoman that developed a pure ATP motion, but I think the compact model probably moderates the huge wind ups.
            Me neither. I just go for the shaved down backswing. A couple of girls I coach (may post one of the forum) stay on the right side of their body with their backswings. Interesting thing is - when compared to girls with huge backswings - they don't gain power but does't lose it either. What they do gain is more reliability and so the ability to rally longer. That's got to be worth something. I am settling for that right now until someone pops up with a silver bullet.
            Stotty

Comment

• Originally posted by stotty View Post

Me neither. I just go for the shaved down backswing. A couple of girls I coach (may post one of the forum) stay on the right side of their body with their backswings. Interesting thing is - when compared to girls with huge backswings - they don't gain power but does't lose it either. What they do gain is more reliability and so the ability to rally longer. That's got to be worth something. I am settling for that right now until someone pops up with a silver bullet.
              What about spin? I find their ball gets a nice jump off the court.

J

Comment

• Originally posted by J011yroger View Post

What about spin? I find their ball gets a nice jump off the court.

J
                Yes I forgot to mention that. A more compact swing makes it more likely they ca access topspin. With the 'helicopter' backswings, you sometimes find they can get topspin in practice but it disappears when the match starts.
                Stotty

Comment

• Great discussion.

Comment

• Originally posted by stotty View Post

Yes I forgot to mention that. A more compact swing makes it more likely they ca access topspin. With the 'helicopter' backswings, you sometimes find they can get topspin in practice but it disappears when the match starts.
                    I'm looking for heavy rotation on a flatter trajectory, ideally 2' of net clearance and landing 8-10' inside the baseline.

J

Comment

• Sounds like Federer to me.

Comment

Sounds like Federer to me.
                        Nadal is only 2.5'

The Masters in Bercy continues concerns over Novak Djokovic’s form going into the Tour Finals. With the loss to Marin Cilic in Paris and Andy Murray one win away from taking the World No. 1 spot, the 2016 season has raised many questions about Djokovic’s performance. While we see the indicators of a slump from his win record, we can’t know whether and how his game has actually changed— has he lost effectiveness on serve?

J

Comment

• Wow. Didn't know that data existed. I've felt the ATP should release all their shot spot data for years... This is the makings of a Tennisplayer article!

Comment

Wow. Didn't know that data existed. I've felt the ATP should release all their shot spot data for years... This is the makings of a Tennisplayer article!

I'm going to send you a private email about the subject, what I have been told training with ATP coaches. I have an ethical issue with sharing good information online as I feel it is unfair to my and their students.

J

Comment

Wow. Didn't know that data existed. I've felt the ATP should release all their shot spot data for years... This is the makings of a Tennisplayer article!
                              Get on it, John. This one could be interesting.
                              Stotty

Comment

• Yes sir.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8142 users online. 5 members and 8137 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X