Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "American Twist" serve, as it once termed, was taught that the racket arm must finish down the right of the body (for a righty) and not the left. It was part of the teaching back in the day. There is beautiful example and description of this in the book Tennis Strokes and Strategies, published in 1972. John Newcombe writes this section of the book and walks the reader through the American twist using with a photo sequence of his own serve. Tennis Strokes and Strategies was the leading book of the day and many of the top players of the time contributed to its making. I learned my entire game through this book and treated it like the bible.
    Stotty

Comment

• Just ordered the book.

My opinion though is that the finish more to right is a consequence. Not something you try to manufacture!

Comment

• Sure, but when the book arrives you will see it was taught. I learnt my tennis as a child from this book and I follow through almost entirely to the right on my second serve and only cut in to the left at the very end.

I followed John Newcombe's instruction to the letter. Where I live everyone was self-taught through books back then. It was a case of John Newcombe said it so it must be right.
        Last edited by stotty; 05-11-2018, 05:45 AM.
        Stotty

Comment

• Edberg did it. (forget the commentary, but look at this video, how he finishes his kick serve to the right...)

Comment

• Yes, as I have said, the finish is a consequence of the contact point and racket path. Even Sampras finished most of his serves with the hand partially across the torso.

Comment

• Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
              Edberg did it. (forget the commentary, but look at this video, how he finishes his kick serve to the right...)
              Poetry in motion.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

• What about that hitch in his backswing?

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                  What about that hitch in his backswing?
                  Horrible serve. That major kink in the backswing around the hip virtually no other player could get away with...horrible to the coach's eye.
                  Stotty

Comment

• Stotty, Ordered the book!

Comment

• Edberg: The total package and how he uses that serve is greater than the sum of its parts. He is one of my players on Mt. Rushmore of tennis. He can do no wrong.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

• He did little wrong. Motion is still ugly!

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                          Stotty, Ordered the book!
                          Where did you order it from, John?

Comment

• Amazon!

Comment

• The book is interesting because it is a written with the collaboration of leading tennis players of the day. It is full of myths like wrist snap on the serve, etc., as you would expect from a book published in 1972. But fundamentally it was how good tennis was taught back then, and how leading players interpreted their own technique. The photo sequences used were novel back in the day but remain revealing even today.
                              Stotty

Comment

• Thanks John, Stotty, I ordered it.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 4010 users online. 4 members and 4006 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X