This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John -

When you shot Brian's videos on the serve and forehand, what camera did you use? Just purchased a Sony RX10 IV, trying to learn as much as I can. Any suggestions for videotaping would be appreciated. Stay safe.

Sean

Comment

• If you mean the slow motion that same casio you referenced.

Comment

• Wondering if you have any plans to add to the patterns archive?

Comment

• Bobby,
          Yeah I remember now you asked me about that before. I went and looked at our sources and they are meager compared to what we already have put up. Let me get through the next couple of issues and I can revisit...

Comment

• Thank you very much. As always you are doing an amazing job with the site.

Comment

• Thank you!

Comment

• Hi John! Big fan of your work
                My question is regarding the Backswing article in the advanced tennis column. Do the Pros consciously put the wrist in laid back position and elbow tucked in at the beginning of forward swing or something else make it happen/ effect of something else in the stroke?
                Thank you

Comment

• Rohit,
                  Great question. My experience is that top players don't do things consciously. They do it by image and feel. For the rest of us it usually takes direction to develop that same unconscious skill. And thanks for the good word!

Comment

• Thank you John! I was wondering if the pulling from right hand coupled with speed of torso rotation effects the wrist laid back position because I have some kids who are unable to get the wrist lay back and they lack speed in the pulling motion.What are your thoughts on that?

Comment

• It could but you can just put them in the laid back position starting from the start of the forward swing. Feed them slow balls and ask them to consciously keep the wrist angle.

Comment

• Hello John,

I have a question regarding leg drive on the serve. I understand that the racket drop should begin at the same time when the legs drive upwards, and that the racket should reach the deepest position in the drop when the player straightens the legs fully and leaves the ground. Where it gets a bit fuzzy is the back leg loading. Top coaches such as Jeff Salzenstein, Rick Macci and Mark Kovacs talk about how most of your weight should be on your back leg when you are in the trophy position, and then the weight gradually transfers to the front leg. What's unclear to me is when exactly does this transfer occur. Does the weight transfer occur before the leg drive initiates, or should the leg drive be initiated while the majority of the weight is still on the back leg? When watching servers such as Sampras and Raonic, it appears that at the moment when their leg drive begins, they have already shifted most of the weight to the front foot. Is this a correct observation and does that mean that that weight transfer should occur before the leg drive starts?

Thank you John and all the best!

Comment

• Good question. My belief is that this is something you can't or shouldn't try to manipulate. I like the back leg loading as the racket is ready to enter the backswing or even a little before. But from there if you just focus on letting the racket drop and then the upward swing I believe the legs will take care of themselves.

Comment

• Macaque -

I would agree with John about not over thinking about this, though it is an interesting question. The theory of loading the back leg to 50 to 60% calls Newton's third law into play, " for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction". By loading the back leg "back and down", it allows you to swing "up and through". In looking at weight distrubution, if you focus on the position of both heels, it will paint a clear picture of what is happening. IDEALLY, THE HEELS SHOULD BE THE SAME HEIGHT OFF THE GROUND IN THE LOADED POSITION. From the videos I looked at, when thinking about your question, it's seems the rear heel raises up more when starting the "hip over hip, shoulder over shoulder" portion of the forward rotation of the body. My answer would be the weight doesn't shift to the front foot, it remains close to equally distributed until the leg drive starts. If you shift the weight to the front foot, it would limited the driving force of the back leg.

Comment

• Seano,
                              Well said.

Comment

• Two questions, but first a shout out. Visual Tennis and the video are great teaching aids which materially helped my game. Thanks for this site and your recent emphasis on the one handed top spin backhand. You don't touch in this video review on the angle of the racket face at point of contact. I believe a slightly closed face produces magically more topspin. Your face, Henman's, and your recreational players videos show a tad open. Wawrinka, Guga, Federer slightly closed. Can you comment. Second question, role of wrist if any on one hand top spin backhand. I believe that slight ulnar deviation (as on forehand) imparts some upwards spin prior to hit but low to high movement of racket of course imparts more. However, the so called wrist flick does come AFTER the hit and not before. Could you comment on role of wrist in one hander. I understand never flexion, but not fixed either before hit. Many thanks.
                                Last edited by yandell17; 07-03-2020, 09:59 AM. Reason: PS I see I am listed as a Junior Member. I am 79. What is a Junior Member?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8242 users online. 4 members and 8238 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X