Thoughts about Tennis Tradition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Separating the Men from the Boys...

tradi’tion n. body of beliefs, facts, etc., handed down to generation to generation without being reduced to writing; the process of handing down.

Have not heard back from my challenged friend, Francois, down in the Caribbean. My advise to her has not changed. Poor kid. She’s been sacked from her job. Something about drugs, gringos and backstabbing. The usual intrigue when you are a foreigner. I told her to be careful. If you are playing poker and look around the table...if you don’t see a sucker, you know you are it. All alone thousands of miles away from home. I know how she feels. It helps to be a little older and a little wiser. But not always. Sometimes it is a case of knowing too much...not being able to keep the mouth shut. To not go too far. To be careful, to be cautious. Yes...but back to my advise. What do you tell someone who is looking for the meaning of life? One thing that I always tell them is to play tennis and this is what I have been telling her from day one. Go to the tennis club and meet some nice people participating in a noble activity. You are never alone if you can play a decent game of tennis. At least you can pretend that you are not alone. If Springsteen could find the answer in an old parked car...why not find it on the tennis court? The only other things I told her was to seek the higher power, which is not going to happen as she is firmly convinced otherwise,but you never know, and I advised her to read Celine’s “Journey to the End of the Night”. Go figure. Good advice, like good coaching is tough to find these days.

Francois is a boxer. A woman boxer. That beats all, doesn’t it? I figured the footwork had to be there. And the fighter, too. But anyways, a boxer for a student is not such a bad place to start on the tennis court. I sometimes thought I would of made a good boxer, I throw right but play tennis left, golf right but batted left...both hands are somewhat ready. I can look at life from both sides. You know, the usual win a few, lose a few story. Maybe boxing would of knocked some sense into my noodle. Who knows? Do I sometimes sound confused? Boxing and tennis....both are one on one. Just one opponent, that is, if you don’t count yourself. It’s a fight...in the end. Trying to knock out the other. Or at least knock them off balance. No time to be afraid...you are either defending or on the attack. And neutralizing too. Winning the final point is the goal. No need for the Seals or anyone else for that matter. It’s just you. In the end, you are the captain of your ship.

I regretfully did not have time to watch any of the French Open yesterday. I wanted to see Federer... and only Roger. Gustav watched his match. He said it inspired him. Federer is capable of inspiring young men. He is a classic in a more traditional sense. The Swiss men are on a collision course. Too bad they had to meet in the round of sixteen. Luck of the draw...that is all. Wawrinka came back from down two sets to beat the French hometown favorite in the fifth. That will definitely make a man of him. That’s a long road to hoe. Tsonga’s no pushover. Not in front of that crowd. My wife likes Wawrinka. He’s her favorite. She likes Llodra, too. She doesn't know a whole lot about tennis. Roger will be ready though...he’s not quite ready to turn his ship to England to hone his grass game. He’s the one and only...these days.

Yesterday I was coaching. My three boys, or rather...my three young men, Gustav (16 years), Olof and Philip (both 19 years), are playing up this year in the men’s class. The first couple of matches they have had their asses sort of handed to them, but yesterday they showed signs of benefiting from some our work and training. If I am not the best coach in Europe I advertise that I am the best bang for the buck, at any rate. I go to their matches gratis...because these boys, or rather young men, are very important to me. It was a Friday afternoon/evening at the club. It rained cats and dogs so we went inside on the carpet. Green inside the court, orange on the outside of the lines.

Soon these young men are going to be out there on their own and I am teaching them to play tennis...and to think for themselves. I stress this to them all of the time. School is a place where they teach you some things about some subjects. You can’t deny it. Personally, I never liked school all that much. The occasional teacher perked my interest...inspired me. The tennis court is a place where you will actually learn something...about yourself and about life. If you can put two plus two together. If you put yourself in the fire enough times...you will learn a thing or two. These guys are learning. I’m there to teach them. It’s a tough lesson. It's a tough road to hoe. Winning and losing. Life's no picnic either. Not for most of us. First, you must open the door of being a loser. And then you enter...to the journey. I have done my share of losing.

Gustav won his match 6-1, 6-1. We sat together and talked as we watched Olof and Philip lose in almost identical fashion. Both lost approximately 6-4, 6-1, We talked about a lot of things. One subject was that as an American I see things differently than the Swedes. It is only natural. That is culture. Not that I am a typical American. You have to be careful to not give yourself too much credit when you are a foreigner, though. My ideas are...well you are getting your ideas. Swedes tend to play it a bit safe and they are winning, at least for the moment in some respects...and I am a bit more outside of the box, not that it makes me a gambler. They seem to be alright with me. Maybe more so than Americans. I never seem to quite fit in. I try to play the percentages. We talked about tennis and how it relates to life. We talked about strings and the spin of the ball. No biomechanics or slick presentations. Just basic stuff...man to man. We talked a little bit about forehand technique...how to get more spin on the ball, using Roger as the model. I am waking up to this reality. About the strings, that is.

So I had two scenarios going...my conversation with Gustav while watching the other two play their match. Brain equally divided down the middle. Perfect for me...not really, I am easily annoyed when I am distracted. They both played reasonably well for the first set but lost, then they got discouraged and basically folded and packed it in for the second set. Olof’s serve is improving. Philip needs to work on his concentration and competitive spirit. He’s a musician...trying to be an artist. A little scattered.

The lesson against the backboard is paying off for Olof, I hope. The motion is much better...very promising, in fact. I spent two hours with him on Wednesday when Gustav couldn’t make it to practice because of some school commitment. We focused on his one hand backhand, which we converted from two hands about eight months ago. I started in Budge mode. Then we will graduate to the modern backhand...more Swiss style. He actually came over the ball a few times in his match...it's a sign of confidence. The format for the match is three singles and one doubles and Philip and Olof were scheduled to play the doubles. Both Gustav and I were not sure if these two would have the stomach to play another match but they decided to have a go at it...so the four of us sequestered ourselves in my tiny office and I gave them the talk.

We sat there, Gustav was the only one left standing because there wasn’t a chair, but I had the other two squarely in my sights, looking directly in their eyes. You can feel the love. I talked to them about their first match. I was acting a little tough. Just a little...I don’t want to scare them, I just want them to act tough on the court. I told them how my old coach used to tell me that I must play five tournaments in a row to be match tough. I told them that they both should of beaten their opponents, but losing is a huge part of the lesson. We have only begun, I tell them. Sometimes it is about dealing with losing. Sometimes it is about dealing with winning.

The two masks of drama and life. Dealing with these two impostors...ala Kipling. One is not necessarily a loser if you learn something from the experience. To lose the first set is no reason to pack it up. The fun has just begun. The fight has just begun. Every point. Every point has a meaning. I told them of an old friend of mine, Mike Rose, who was just so much tougher after losing the first set. He really knew how to dig in. You were almost tempted to throw the first set to him in order to have a chance of winning the match. They are looking into my eyes, trying to find themselves...searching the eyes of an old warrior. They trust me. They know that I have been there, that I am there...for them. They went out and won their doubles 7-6, 7-6. A small victory. But not for two young men growing up to be men in Sweden. And an old coach from nowhere...who lives in the woods. Tomorrow I will tell them how proud of them I am. Every Saturday the four of us play doubles. It's a tradition...of sorts.

Now we are in the round of sixteen at the Open...the men are separating themselves from the boys. One set apiece for Del Potro and Djokovic...whose the man? A big break for Del Potro as now it is a two out of three set match...but it's a "different" Djokovic these days.
    Last edited by don_budge; 05-29-2011, 06:39 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

The Home Stretch...at Roland Garros!

tradi’tion n. body of beliefs, facts, etc., handed down to generation to generation without being reduced to writing; the process of handing down.

In honor of all those players who have ever participated in a tennis Grand Slam event. To all of those players who dreamed of participating, but never made it. To John Yandell. To all of the readers of TennisPlayer.net. To my students. To my fellow Americans. To everyone under the sun...it's only x degrees of separation that we are separated by.

Now we head down the home stretch...it's the final sixteen! The boys have all gone home. Only the men are left standing.

This poem never fails to get to me...no matter how many times I read it. Does anyone else feel the same way? My old coach introduced me to this, as he introduced me to Tilden, as he introduced me to Gonzales, as he introduced me to all of the old Aussies...way back when...thank you Sherman.

If...by Rudyard Kipling

If you can keep your head when all about you
      Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
      If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
      But make allowance for their doubting too,
      If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
      Or being lied about, don’t give way to lies,
      Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
      And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream-and not make dreams your master,
      If you can think-and not make thoughts your air;
      If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
      And treat those two impostors just the same;

If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
      Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
      Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
      And stoop and build ‘em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
      And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
      And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breath a word about your loss;
      If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
      to serve your turn long after they are gone,
      And so hold on when there is nothing in you
      Except the Will which says to them: “Hold on!”

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
      Or walk with kings-nor lose the common touch,
      If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
      If all men count with you, but none too much,
      If you can fill the unforgiving minute
      With sixty second’s worth of distance run,
      Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
      And-which is more- you’ll be a Man, my son!
      Last edited by don_budge; 05-29-2011, 06:38 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake
      don_budge

Comment

The Wind...

tradi’tion n. body of beliefs, facts, etc., handed down to generation to generation without being reduced to writing; the process of handing down

The Wind...I listen to the wind, to the wind of my soul. -Cat Stevens

Our doubles on Saturday was played in a lot of wind. It has been windy here ever since we opened up our two red clay courts three weeks ago. There are virtually no outdoor hard courts here in Sweden, so it was already May something before we could play outside. When the courts were ready. We would of been outside for about a month...if we had hard courts.

We were not even able to complete two sets in our two hours, because the games were taking so long. The service advantage was rendered pretty much neutral by the wind and some of the games seemed like they went back and forth from deuce to advantage...forever. There was a lot of scrambling for balls and many of the strokes were not pretty. It was comical at times. It’s tough to play pretty tennis in a swirling wind. Philip and I won the first, 6-4 and we were tied with Gustav and Olof at 5-5 when we had to hand over the courts to our young ladies 19 and under team.

Gustav looked a bit disappointed afterwards and I tried to joke with him a bit...I asked him if he was ready for a beer, he’s only sixteen, too young to drink. But his only remark was about the wind and the ugly play. The largest obstacle that Gustav must clear right now, in his quest to be a tennis player, is his belief that it is always going to be perfect...and pretty. He is young, naive, a perfectionist and an idealist. I remember when I was like that...wait a minute, a part of me still is. Give him a couple of years, though...a little seasoning. Maybe a broken heart or two. It's all part of growing up. That should cure him of his dilemma. Open his eyes. It is a huge philosophic conundrum as well as an intellectual battle that he is confronted with. My answer to him is...in golf, at the end of the day, they only ask you how many shots you took, they don’t ask you how you did it.

I tell him that if I had his body I would be playing Wimbledon next month. I tell him if he had my head he would be playing there next month. The difference between us is that I am not too proud to “win ugly”...ala Brad Gilbert. The difference between us is...I can hand over my head to him but I will never have the body again. The object of the game is to score and sometimes you have to resort to shots that are less than orthodox...whatever it takes...to win. I tell him a couple of stories.

Think of Don Budge hitting that last shot against von Cramm in his famous five set 1937 Davis Cup match...he never saw the last shot go in on the match point with everything riding on it, it's only a game of pitch and toss...he never saw the last shot go in as he found himself sprawled face down on the court after he hit it. Think of Connors in his five set victory over Panatta at the Open in 1978. I was sitting in the very top row in the stadium that day, it was a windy day and I was completely stoned on the tennis...what a shot that Connors produced when he needed it, a one hand backhand that somehow snuck by the graceful and imposing Italian at the net, who had anticipated Connors pass beautifully and had hit an incredible sharply angled cross court forehand volley. Somehow Connors anticipated, ran the ball down and hit the ball after it was virtually past him with one hand. One of the most incredible shots I have ever witnessed. With a T2000, no less. Look at the embrace after the match.

It’s better to be ugly and win than to be pretty and lose. Panatta was very pretty that day at the Open...beautiful in fact. He had everybody swooning...especially the ladies. His tennis was in a word...gorgeous! But he lost. In the wind, you just accept that the conditions are not perfect and try to make the wind your friend...work with it. You must work with it. You must use it with each and every shot. It’s just another factor...in your approach to hitting each shot. Connors had to quickly calculate the effect that the wind was going to have on that ball...as he hit it. It’s such an amazing game. Throw in a little wind and all of a sudden you are playing another game...Wind Tennis. You can fight it...but it won’t get you anywhere. Like struggling in quicksand. Don’t battle it...you won’t win. It's part of life.

Playing in the wind, you had better have your service motion and your toss under control. Playing in the wind it is paramount to get your feet and your body in position. You have to work a lot harder...for to keep your balance. You must be able to produce spin to control the ball when the wind is blowing everything out of control. With the wind you don't have to hit as hard, just use top spin and keep the ball deep, let the wind push your opponent back and when you get the opportunity hit flat and go under the wind or use underspin to approach the net when the wind blows your opponents shot short in your court...into the wind you can afford to hit a bit harder, try to keep the ball deep and when you get the chance, go under the wind and exploit the angles and drop shot with underspin, then throw a lob over your opponents head. Or...do whatever it is that has to be done. It’s cat and mouse time...I love the wind. The wind is my friend, she’s my girl. It’s the great equalizer...it can make for a real chess match on the tennis court.

It’s funny, Mats Wilander was talking about the wind on his “Game, Set and Mats” program after the French and he said somewhat the same thing. He’s always taking the words right out of my mouth.

Can Roger steal Djokovic’s thunder? Can he play Loki to Djokovic's Thor? The trickster vs. the thunder. Does he believe he can do it? That is the question...it is a question of the mental game now. It's a man's game. No room for the feint of heart. Confidence...and, sadly "string jobs". Is it possible that geoffwilliams is right? Obviously, he is...about some things.

Federer sent the “Purple Haze” of France, Monfils, packing...avenging his loss in the finals at the Paris Masters in November. I say "Purple Haze" because traditionally speaking I find Monfils the antithesis...because of the clothes, the howling, the chest thumping. Much like conservative America must of found Jimi Hendrix's interpretation of the "Star Spangled Banner" back in 1972...personally I loved that, though. But today it is all very acceptable...to act like that on the tennis court, I guess the fans find it amusing. It was at the Paris Masters that Djokovic last appeared to be human...it was the last time that the “meteoric” Djokovic lost...he lost to Michael Llodra.

Come on Roger, bow your neck!!! We traditionalists are pulling for you! One more time! Spare us Nadal vs. Djokovic.
        Last edited by don_budge; 06-01-2011, 02:42 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake
        don_budge

Comment

Dear Readers...

I thank you for your indulgence. For my part...I don’t think of it as self-indulgence. I think of it as doing my part. My responsibility to society...to our youth, the next generation. I am passing it down, the traditions that is. The Indians still do this, as much as their culture has been decimated...it is their elder’s responsibility to the young. They still teach. The Indian elders do. I think it is even difficult in their society...to get the young to listen. In these days...in modern times. So much tradition has been lost.

But I digress. I meander. That is why I express my appreciation to you. I sincerely mean it. It’s not easy following the thoughts of another. We all have our own thoughts, our own problems, our own stories to tell. It’s not like anyones story is more important than the next. I know mine isn’t. It’s only that I have elected to tell my side...of the story. I read this forum. I read everything on it. If any of you has something to say, I promise you...I am going to read it. It’s easy. We don’t even have to look each other in the eye. I could be making all of this up. But I am not. Honest.

Today...June 6, is Sweden's National Day. It isn't such a traditional holiday because it hasn't been around for very long as a public holiday...only several years, since 2005 as a matter of fact. It isn't a day steeped in tradition, it used to be called Swedish Flag Day. The Swedish flag itself is rather unassuming. Rather modest...like the people. Supposedly though, one day in history some centuries ago...the reigning Swedish king was away at war and one morning before a big important battle, the sun appeared on a cloudless day, which the king interpreted as a favorable omen to himself...luckily for him, it was a good day for the king...the bad guys were defeated. The legend for the flag was thusly born. It doesn't seem like the Swedes do a lot of special things to celebrate the day. It is a day off from work and perhaps some Swedes will do a bit of barbecuing. Sweden has not taken part in any of the wars of the modern era, which may explain the Swedes’ somewhat guarded attitude towards celebrating a national day. They are proud of their country but they don’t seem to feel any great need to show it. The people don't feel the need to demonstrate a lot of patriotism. Mostly small towns, small parades or small fireworks, no great bombs bursting in air, nothing like that. Here in the country I haven't heard a peep. Björn Borg wasn't just being quiet and modest, he was being traditionally Swedish.

Yesterday, before the heavyweight title match at Roland Garros, we at the little Skultorp Tennis Club in the middle of Sweden had our final match in our clay court series play. We came out on the losing end again, 0-4. Our opponents had a huge advantage in experience but I was neverless proud of my guys. They are playing “up” this year in the mens division. We ended up 0-3 and one tie for a record...as a team.

Olof lost to his opponent 6-0, 6-4. The young man he played against was really overweight. Afterwards, I told him he lost to a fat kid. Sorry about the language but I was trying to make a point. His opponent was so obviously overweight that right from the get go, Olof should of been trying to move him all over the court. It turns out that this guy was a really good player when he was a few years younger but he has a bit of a MacDonald’s Jones, some eating issues, thus the extra kilos. Philip lost at the third singles 6-2, 6-2, against an opponent that I thought looked the strongest of the three singles players and as it turned out I was correct. At one point, some five years ago this guy was ranked in the top five in Sweden but he has been rehabilitating from some injury problems. Gustav made the best showing at the second singles, losing 6-4 7-5. He is showing some signs of playing with “my head” and making better decisions regarding his shot selection and tactics. I thought it was nice that all three of my guys chose to wear white tennis clothes for their match. I am pretty sure they did it out of respect for me...they know how I am. Our opponents had some rather nice shirts on with the Roland Garros logo on them. It turns out that they made the trip last year to the French Open. I may have to consider this next year also. I wonder if I could get a journalist pass with TennisPlayer? To dream the impossible dream...dreaming’s for free after all.

I had really interesting conversations with Olof and Gustav. I sort of left it brief with Philip...with a comment of “nice match”. He didn’t show for practice on Saturday and my feelings are if he doesn’t care enough to show up, he doesn’t get as much attention from me. I am not sure how much of an effect this approach has on him...virtually none I suspect, he is the musician, the “artist”...but my tactic is to use my attention as a motivating instrument to get the guys to show more interest. With Olof, it is a bit different...all students are different, aren’t they...but with him, I asked him a question that I already knew the answer to. I asked him, “How do you feel?” and he replied that he was not so happy with himself. He really opened the door for me to respond and of course I took the liberty of entering with guns blazing and a bunch of food for thought.

First I told him...”why would you feel so bad, you didn’t make any extraordinary efforts for this match, you haven’t made any huge investments in your tennis...don’t worry, I tell him, you are going to Gothenburg for college next year and you can forget about this match, you can forget about tennis...you missed a practice on Tuesday...why would you feel bad about a match today when in reality you don’t care enough to go the extra mile and train in the tennis mode...on the other hand, I tell him...if you had done a bit of extra training in the days leading up to the match perhaps you would of been mentally prepared to do what you had to do, beginning with the first point of the match...but you did not play Tuesday, Thursday or Friday, how can you expect to be ready, you lost your first set 6-0. You started to come around in the second, but it was too late. You weren’t ready to do what needed to be done.”. He looked at me a bit curiously...did I get through to him? He knows I care very much about him and his plans. My goal is to show him that he has options, and that he, in the end, like all of us, is the captain of his ship. I would like to see him put all of his chips in one basket...in his tennis game for a couple of years. I believe that the training that it takes to play competitive tennis is some of the best training in the world for life. It makes a man of the boy. It can make a philosopher, a scientist, an artist...of the man. Olof has shown some more interest in the last eight months or so and he told me at one point in our conversation that he hasn’t made up his mind one hundred percent about his plans for next year. I looked at him a bit curiously.

Next up Gustav. This kid is a coach’s dream. He is a parent’s dream. If he should ever make the limelight, he is going to be the girl’s dream. Gustav is a great student, he gets the highest marks in every subject. As a tennis student he is really coachable and some of the conversations we have on technique and tactics exceed my expectations. He has an insatiable curiosity about tennis history and it’s tradition as well. He is going to be a great student of the game in every sense...I wonder where he gets this from. He acts like a tennis player. Hmmm.

We talk of tactics. We talk of technique. We talk of everything under the sun...tennis wise that is. He idolizes Federer...what a surprise, eh? But I always caution him to be Gustav...in the end that is who he will be...it is our fate to be ourselves and nobody else. Personally speaking, I don’t have any heroes left, no role models. Well, maybe my father. Maybe Geronimo. But that is a rather serious digression. I beg your pardon. Let’s forget I even mentioned that. That was only a slip of the tongue. But anyways...the two of us have some great discussions about tennis. In English, of course. My Swedish is terrible. Speaking a foreign language is a nightmare. Fortunately for me, the parents of the kids in the program are equally as happy about the English trainingthat their kids get as they are about the tennis training....who knows, maybe even more so, in some cases. Gustav’s English is getting pretty darned good...he would consider going to America to play college tennis if the opportunity came up. I think. Gustav’s game is coming along. He is learning the all court game. It takes a full ten years to become a champion according to Tilden. One year to play the game, five years to become a tennis player and fully ten years to become a champion.

I joke with the guys about my own coachability. I think that in some ways I was a coaches nightmare. Poor Coach Stevens. Poor Coach Collins. Poor Coach Muldownay. I know that I am responsible for a few of those grey hairs on their collective heads. Sure, I had some talent, but those days were rebellious, tumultuous. In the summer of 1971, for instance, at seventeen years old, I hitchhiked clear across America to San Franciso before my senior year in high school. My first year in community college I quit the tennis team to play basketball with the black guys I met at school...I was hanging with the brothers playing basketball. I had a rather serious “basketball jones”. Not exactly putting my priorities into tennis, I’m afraid. But in my defense, perhaps I was a little confused...the next year I would get my number in the draft lottery. What were my chances of getting to participate in the Vietnam War first hand?
          Last edited by don_budge; 06-06-2011, 07:26 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake
          don_budge

Comment

Don Quixote...

tradi’tion n. body of beliefs, facts, etc., handed down to generation to generation without being reduced to writing; the process of handing down

What does it mean to be Quixotic...in today's world? One possibility is the example of a man who believes in something long after there is no longer a single shred of evidence that it ever existed in the first place...leaving him alone and isolated in his beliefs and and making him appear to be an apparent fool to others.

Like the boy who believes in Santa Claus long after all of his classmates have found out the "truth"...and when his mother tells him the news that there is no such thing as a Santa Claus, he cries...but goes on believing anyways...somehow.

To be Quixotic means that the world will shun you because conventional wisdom has it that you live in a fantasy world where conventional wisdom is actually no wisdom at all...because it is "virtual morality" wrapped up in "virtual reality"...it is a world where there is no past, there is only now. But make no mistake readers...this is still about tennis.

Don Quixote comes up now and again in our little kingdom here...the tennisplayer forum. Our dear bottle, whom I have come to know as a Great American because he has the courage to speak the truth to power, is the scholarly type and then some, who has taught and devoted much of his life to the ideas and metaphors contained in Cervante's novel written God knows when. Phil has his own copy of "Don Quixote" embedded in this thread somewhere and Don, the tennis_chiro, has referred to Don Quixote as well...I think it was to geoffwilliams that he quoted lyrics from a song, "The Impossible Dream". It's a long book and it's not an easy read so many of you have not had the chance to read the book. In such a case, here are the lyrics to the song "Don Quixote" by Gordon Lightfoot which will suffice for now...just in case you have not read the book. Listen to the song if you get the chance.

Don Quixote-Gordon Lightfoot

Through the woodland, through the valley
            Comes a horseman wild and free
            Tilting at the windmills passing
            Who can the brave young horseman be
            He is wild but he is mellow
            He is strong but he is weak
            He is cruel but he is gentle
            He is wise but he is meek

Reaching for his saddlebag
            He takes a battered book into his hand
            Standing like a prophet bold
            He shouts across the ocean to the shore
            Till he can shout not more

I have come o’er moor and mountain
            Like the hawk upon the wing
            I was once a shining knight
            Who was the guardian of a king
            I have searched the whole world over
            Looking for a place to sleep
            I have seen the strong survive
            And I have seen the lean grown weak

See the children of the earth
            Who wake to find the table bare
            See the gentry in the country
            Riding off to take the air

He takes a rusty sword into his hand
            Then striking up a knightly pose
            Till he can shout no more

See the jailor with his key
            Who locks away all trace of sin
            See the judge upon the bench
            Who tries the case as best he can
            See the wise and wicked ones
            Who feed upon life’s sacred fire
            See the soldier with his gun
            Who must be dead to be admired

See the man who tips the needle
            See the man who buys and sells
            See the man who puts the collar
            On the ones who dare not tell
            See the drunkard in the tavern
            Stemming gold to make ends meet
            See the youth in ghetto black
            Condemned to life upon the street

He takes a tarnished cross into his hand
            Then standing like a preacher now
            Then in a blaze of tangled hooves
            He gallops off across the dusty plain
            In vain to search again
            Where no one will hear

In the end, he ages and dies of course. His quest is left up to us. Every time I read about his death...I cry for the Quixotic.

And now...we head into the grass court season of 2011, "The Championships" are upon us once again...to Wimbledon where the grass is greener, or so we are led to believe.
            Last edited by don_budge; 06-15-2011, 12:13 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake
            don_budge

Comment

I couldn't resist

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

What does it mean to be Quixotic...in today's world? One possibility is the example of a man who believes in something long after there is no longer a single shred of evidence that it ever existed in the first place...leaving him alone and isolated in his beliefs and and making him appear to be an apparent fool to others.

Like the boy who believes in Santa Claus long after all of his classmates have found out the "truth"...and when his mother tells him the news that there is no such thing as a Santa Claus, he cries...but goes on believing anyways...somehow.

To be Quixotic means that the world will shun you because conventional wisdom has it that you live in a fantasy world where conventional wisdom is actually no wisdom at all...because it is "virtual morality" wrapped up in "virtual reality"...it is a world where there is no past, there is only now. But make no mistake readers...this is still about tennis.

Don Quixote comes up now and again in our little kingdom here...the tennisplayer forum. Our dear bottle, whom I have come to know as a Great American because he has the courage to speak the truth to power, is the scholarly type and then some, who has taught and devoted much of his life to the ideas and metaphors contained in Cervante's novel written God knows when. Phil has his own copy of "Don Quixote" embedded in this thread somewhere and Don, the tennis_chiro, has referred to Don Quixote as well...I think it was to geoffwilliams that he quoted lyrics from a song, "To Dream the Impossible Dream". It's a long book and it's not an easy read so many of you have not had the chance to read the book. In such a case, here are the lyrics to the song "Don Quixote" by Gordon Lightfoot which will suffice for now...just in case you have not read the book. Listen to the song if you get the chance.

Don Quixote-Gordon Lightfoot

He takes a battered book into his hand
              Standing like a prophet bold
              Till he can shout not more

I have come o’er moor and mountain
              Like the hawk upon the wing
              I was once a shining knight
              Who was the guardian of a king
              I have searched the whole world over
              Looking for a place to sleep
              I have seen the strong survive
              And I have seen the lean grown weak

See the children of the earth
              Who wake to find the table bare
              See the gentry in the country
              Riding off to take the air

He takes a rusty sword into his hand
              Then striking up a knightly pose
              Till he can shout no more

See the jailor with his key
              Who locks away all trace of sin
              See the judge upon the bench
              Who tries the case as best he can
              See the wise and wicked ones
              Who feed upon life’s sacred fire
              See the soldier with his gun
              Who must be dead to be admired

See the man who tips the needle
              See the man who buys and sells
              See the man who puts the collar
              On the ones who dare not tell
              See the drunkard in the tavern
              Stemming gold to make ends meet
              See the youth in ghetto black
              Condemned to life upon the street

He takes a tarnished cross into his hand
              Then standing like a preacher now
              Then in a blaze of tangled hooves
              He gallops off across the dusty plain
              In vain to search again
              Where no one will hear

In the end, he ages and dies of course. His quest is left up to us. Every time I read about his death...I cry for the Quixotic.

And now...we head into the grass court season of 2011, "The Championships" are upon us once again...to Wimbledon where the grass is greener, or so we are led to believe.
              It's a great song, but I think we need to hear Gordon Lightfoot deliver it. The following clips have always remained in my head since the first time I saw them.

Musically, the Brian Stokes Mitchell version is perhaps a little better, but I really like the movie scene with Peter O'Toole, especially when he gets off his death bed.

Movie version with Peter O'Toole and Sophia Loren (who's the redhead?)

But if you just want the clear song, the Brian Stokes Mitchell version is awfully good:

Thanks for reminding me of this great song. And also the great thought. I'll have to get it on my iPod! (Problem is I'll probably go off and do something stupid...again!)

Never give in!!!
              don

Comment

Images...

Yes, Don...those are some powerful images, and truly an inspirational song.

It's very interesting how the innocent comment you made about the tradition of tennis initiated this thread. Your posting the "Special Treat for don_budge" has given further impetus. Phil's article has surely done the same thing. And BOTTLE...you have given me the courage and the inspiration as only the good old professor can...to quest. You guys are really unbelievable. A special thank you, my brothers.

But...it is Gordon Lightfoot's version that fits into the context of what is to follow. I wanted the readers to have an image of a man, in the woods, shouting across the ocean...in vain.

The search engine that helps you find exactly what you're looking for. Find the most relevant information, video, images, and answers from all across the Web.

I recommend the version that says 2 months ago.
                Last edited by don_budge; 06-15-2011, 10:42 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake
                don_budge

Comment

Not in Vain!!!

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                  Yes, Don...those are some powerful images, and truly an inspirational song.

It's very interesting how the innocent comment you made about the tradition of tennis initiated this thread. Your posting the "Special Treat for don_budge" has given further impetus. Phil's article has surely done the same thing. And BOTTLE...you have given me the courage and the inspiration as only the good old professor can...to quest. You guys are really unbelievable. A special thank you, my brothers.

But...it is Gordon Lightfoot's version that fits into the context of what is to follow. I wanted the readers to have an image of a man, in the woods, shouting across the ocean...in vain.

The search engine that helps you find exactly what you're looking for. Find the most relevant information, video, images, and answers from all across the Web.

I recommend the version that says 2 months ago.
                  When I first went to the Hamptons in 1974 to run an adult tennis camp for TennisAmerica(Billie Jean and Van deer Meer) at the Bridgehampton Racket and Surf Club (I thought I was just going for a simple 10 week gig and I would be back in LA in the fall; instead the Hamptons became the core of my existence for 30 of my next 31 summers; only in 1977 did I take off to take the Concord Hotel concession.), we had a lot of interesting students, successful adults. One of them was Hal Linden, who most people know better as "Barney Miller". He had not yet become Barney Miller (the campers actually got to sit around a tv in his motel room one night during the camp and watch the actual broadcast of the pilot episode of the show), but he was a major Broadway star and I had actually seen him perform. It amazed me how he could just fill the theatre with his voice without any artificial amplification. I talked to Hal about this and he explained to me that this was one of the special skills of Broadway performers and something of which the good ones were very proud. I think it is a little different now with the wireless mics and advanced technology, but at that time Broadway performers relied on their ability to fill the theatre naturally. They spoke very clearly, projected exceptionally well and the songs were constructed, I believe, to be conducive to this projection to the last row in the theatre.

The Gordon Lightfoot song is a wonderful number. I appreciate your point of yelling across the ocean from the forest. But, for me, in comparison to "Impossible Dream", the acoustic accompaniment is almost a distraction. There is a hard, gritty, rebellious quality to the "Man of La Mancha" numbers with the fire and emotion just pouring out of Don Quixote, even as it saps the last bit of life from Peter O'Toole in the film version. The words just burst forth almost disdainfully in a very "no matter what" kind of way, and yet, so clearly embracing "the quest".

In closing, which song you or I prefer is not important and we both obviously like them anyway. And although we seem to have taken this forum away from tennis matters, the sentiments we are talking about here are very important when you consider trying to teach young men and women the lessons of life as well as the intricacies of hitting a tennis ball, so two things:

First of all, life is that hard and requires that much commitment to whatever your "quest" may be. By comparison, tennis is easy. But, on its own, tennis is not an easy quest. And we need to have our students understand they are chasing an almost impossible dream; but what a wonderful chase to be on. And if you commit to that pursuit, you will be rewarded. Perhaps not exactly as you envisioned, but you will be rewarded. Most who have set out upon that "quest" with a clear heart and uncompromising commitment would have to look back at some point down the road and recognize that they were no more successful than Don Quixote tilting at windmills in achieving their original goals. After all, only one in 128 in next week's field will win at the All England Club next week. The percentage of our students who become successful professional players or even just Division I scholarship athletes is probably a lot lower than that. And yet, while the vast majority of those tennis "Don Quixotes" will also tell you that they would not trade the experience of chasing that dream for anything. And that what they gained by pursuing that quest was worth so much more than whether or not they achieved the simple outcome goals they originally set out for themselves.

Don't get me wrong. I want to build champions. But it the long run my quest is to have my students be the ones who look back on their journey and say "That was worth every bit of energy I put into it…and Coach Don not only made the journey a lot easier or at least better(even if he was a pain in the ass at times), but he also really helped me to see what was important".

Second, Don Quixote de la Mancha's life was not "in vain". He may have tilted at windmills and his fair Dulcinea may have been a harlot (I doubt there was ever a country harlot as fair as Sophia Loren!), but he touched many lives positively, inspiring them to so much more than he himself may have achieved on his own. If you can touch just one life positively, your quest is not in vain!

Never Give In!
                  don
                  PS Next Week: A dissection of Dylan Thomas's "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night"

Comment

At Last...a little victory!

Gustaf has embarked on a quest of his own...at my behest. He lost his last match in our club series play to a nice young man by the name of Glenn Karjalainen 6-4, 7-5. In the Swedish ranking system this guy had approximately 145 points and Gustaf may have 110 at the most. Glenn is a more upper echelon player and Gustaf is at the rear of the pack. In his last couple of tournaments he has been competing with these guys pretty equally but his lack of experience and his lack of a big win over one of these upper echelon players at the higher level over him has held him back from sealing the deal. It is part of the process...in the education of a tennis player.

When he played this guy a couple of weeks ago, Gustaf was involved in some parties and socializing that is customary for young people at the end of his school year so I sort of questioned him on his preparation for the match. True it was only a series match between two clubs, but here you must make the most of every opportunity to use each and every match to learn what it takes to prepare for a tournament...competitive tennis in general. There is a tremendous amount of mental preparation before one is ready to take opponents that are competitively even with you or over your head.

This past week I put the challenge out to him because as it turns out Gustav is to play this Glenn in the first round of a local tournament next week. I have convinced him to try it my way this time...so together we are going to get ready for his “date” with Glenn. We are on the hunt. We started Tuesday with a two hour workout and he continued to work with my next group for an hour and a half. A good start.

Yesterday, we had another two hour session. After we had done a good bit of work on his backhand and some work on moving forward and backward and some work on hitting balls from a meter behind the service line...he suggested we play 15 point games, where we put the ball in play with a simple groundstroke instead of a serve. I paused for just a split second...I was tired and sore from the four and a half hours I had spent on the court the day before, and then I quickly agreed. Time to man up. At 57 I am no spring chicken, I'm no spring Texas pony either...I am the same age that Don Budge was when I knew him in 1973. Thirty nine years later. Fast forward to 2011.

It was really windy yesterday which fits right into my game, with all of my experience. Through the years, I have made my peace with the wind, in fact, I have always enjoyed “wind tennis”. Playing on the red clay is also to my advantage because I am pretty good at taking the air out of the ball...slowing the game down, so that the opponent ends up playing my game. My tactics against my young protege are pretty much the same that I employ against any opponent. First I pound them with my serve...then I start working on the backhand and try to pin the game on that side of the court. Constantly changing the speed and the spin...rarely the same shot twice in row, unless it is some nasty low underspinning ball...or a tantalizing hanger, moving around in the wind...floating, maddeningly. Once I have established this tactic I can go to work on my opponents forehand, which is not so formidable after all of the concentration on the backhand side of the court. But at the same time my opponent is not going to get the forehand he wants to hit if I can help it...hard and waist high. No, he is going to get something high and deep, or low and short, a spinning ball...I am going to concentrate on him being out of position every time he gets to use his “strength”...so it won’t be so strong. Did I mention that I love to use the drop shot and lob tactic? Move him around...that's my motto, my mantra. Inevitably it seems that once you can get control of the game and get your opponent to play your game even his confidence in his strength can be shaken. It’s a chess game being played on a number of different levels. I won six games to Gustaf’s one.

We finished the session with some serving practice. I told him that the outcome of his date with Glenn will depend upon how well he serves. He is such a great kid.

After working with my protege for a couple of hours I had two hours left to go. First, is a group of five 10 year old boys, Philip, David, Anton 1, Anton 2 and Mikeal. Second hour was a group of three 12 year olds, Albin, Matilda and Benjamen. My partner, Frans Jonsson is leaving the program in the fall and it looks like Gustav is interested in taking the hours that Frans will be vacating. This is a nice development for our little program because if I train Gustaf properly to be an effective leader, he will be able to take the responsibility of handing down to the younger boys so that we can establish a bit of tradition around here. Back in my old world there was the Hoxie tradition. They owned Michigan tennis for several decades. They had a real sense of tradition.

Yesterday I was on the phone with the Smith and Stearns Academy at Hilton Head Island to enquire about Gustaf going there for some training. Anybody out there have any other ideas?

The day before the big day...we played for two hours. Fifteen point games and then some serving practice. Every day the same thing. Tennis practice is not for those that are bored easily. There is a lot of repetition involved...a lot of rehearsing. I won every game. Gustaf acted pretty discouraged but I did not let up on him. It seemed to drive me when he got down. Even in practice I can smell blood and it just eggs me on. Even on my protege. Playing singles everyday is bringing some of my game back. Only some though...there is no youth left in my body. Just an old pretender. I don’t ever want to see Gustaf letting up on any of his opponents. After practice we talked a bit...I asked him how he felt. He said that he did not feel he could beat me so what was the use in trying. I said...how about trying for trying’s sake? He looked at me a bit funny.

Well...today was the day. I find it hard to believe. He won. He finally won. He beat Glen Karjalainen 2-6, 6-1, 6-0. He started off...same old Gustaf. Hitting away without any regard for thoughtfulness or tactics or whatever. It’s hard to understand what is going on in his head when I am watching such a pathetic effort. Every single point that he lost, that I can remember was an unforced error. Glenn never hit the ball by him...maybe once or twice, but on the whole, every single point was a mistake. For some reason...he changed his tune. During the next two sets he did not give away anything. He started clearing the net by two meters when he should play it safe. He went for his shots when he had the opportunities. He did not try to hit one top spin backhand. That is in his future, I told him. He hit short to bring Glenn in...he is a baseliner like everybody else these days and does not feel comfortable coming forward. In short...he moved his opponent around instead of trying to hit a slew of low percentage winners. Gustaf’s serve held up too. Gravity based motion...it survived the wind, the nerves and the pressure. Gustaf looked like a tennis player. I told him so. For the first time, I said to him, he used his head. This is only the beginning. Now he has a little confidence. Now I have another card to play as his coach.

After the match Gustaf gave a little fist pump and a little tiny sound, hardly anything. I will tell him next time...no celebrating. Not in front of the opponent. Just go forward and shake the hand and say something nice. Just like Don Budge. You can celebrate later. And I recommend it.

I think I will celebrate a little today...maybe take my dog Frankie out in the woods for a bit of a walk. Do you think I am just a little proud of my young protege? Over the moon!!!
                    Last edited by don_budge; 06-22-2011, 08:56 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake
                    don_budge

Comment

That's great.

Comment

Old school vs. New school (the new fangled way?)...

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                        The big question in tennis, always, is whether to change something or not.

Old school says, "Change nothing and hit the same old boring shot and make it every time."

New school, which includes the study of myelin, says, "Improve the wiring in your nervous system by making small adjustments and corrections, some of which you will find through raising the level of difficulty to where you just start to make mistakes."
                        Old school was wood and animal gut...the racquet was a living thing. "Golf in the Kingdom" is about the traditional, the origins, the roots, the basis of human existence, the original conception...old school golfing with the baffling spoon...nothing boring about that. And now there is the struggle of the game to accommodate man's godless influence into what was originally a divine pursuit. A parallel universe to the tennis universe.

New school or the new fangled way? Besides myelin, new school also includes over-sized racquets, copoly strings, computer models of techniques, virtual reality and the singularly most scary aspect of all...virtual morality to boot. What is right? It's rejection of tradition. With every invention comes a curse! What happens when you eliminate the foundation...realistically speaking?

"Go ten times slower than that"...is definitely old school. Theseus knew nothing of myelin...but of course he didn't have access to the internet, but just maybe he had access to Carl Jung's "collective unconscious". You should see these old Swedish guys in the countryside. Slow motion...but always deliberately forward. Jim Morrison of "The Doors" said "Go real slow...you like it more and more. Take it as it comes, specialize in having fun". None of these guys apparently understood the concept of myelin, but they all certainly seem to know the importance of going slow.

Now that we scientifically understand the concept of myelin and the physical characteristics of copoly strings, have we virtually eliminated the possibilities of really "taking it slow"? Modern existence seems too hectic...it makes it virtually impossible to take one's time. Hmmm? Modern tennis seems too fast...to traditionalists. Thoughtful tactics are on the wane...the trump is in the technique with the speed and power it can produce. On the other hand, I can't wait to try the "slow motion" exercise from "The Talent Code" with my students...and to see the expression on their little faces.

Excuse me for interrupting. I couldn't resist. Come to think of it maybe I had better take this to "Thoughts about Tennis Tradition"...I originally posted in "A New Year's Serve"...I don't want to be rude.
                        Last edited by don_budge; 08-28-2011, 01:20 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                        don_budge

Comment

Rude, Cracked Myelin Filling the Air with Misbegotten Sparks

Nah, don't worry. A little rudeness can be okay. I'm sure it would be nothing compared to what the poster "elephantiasis" used to do over at Talk Tennis before we both received our bans.

After I posted, he'd think of the most evil thing he could do in reply. Once it was a picture of Chuck Barris or whoever the guy was who always had "the unknown comic" appear in a regular segment of The Gong Show.

This man would wear a paper bag over his head with two eye holes cut in it.
                          But when elephantiasis embedded this picture the bag was on fire!

Yes, I'm quite sure I was burned in effigy. Not that I'm paranoid. Come back little Sheba, I mean little Nabrug-- you were mild.

About myelin: 97 per cent unknown. And I'm not sure that "go ten times slower" applies to the past. My previous generation drank much too much, especially the ones on university faculties, those early ejaculators.

In future tennis, going ten times slower could mean take time to lift the threshold of difficulty just to where one's instructive mistakes begin to appear, and don't try for perfection too soon, and don't play any tournaments until you have a full toolbox, Little Buddy, Little Miss.

On the other hand, so much isn't known of myelin that one can probably say anything and not be terribly wrong.

It's fun, though, to know that people have seen it. Very exciting, according to the author of THE TALENT CODE Daniel Coyle is to see the oligos actually wrapping on the goop.

I think of workers laying huge black pipe by the side of an excavated highway.
                          A heavy machine inches along using three dispensers on a single shaft to twirl on a triple layer of gauze.

One picture is worth a thousand worms, however, so I demand that one of the neuroscientist members of Tennis Player produce a full length movie showing this action by next Thursday right here in these pages.
                          Last edited by bottle; 08-29-2011, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Manipulating Time.....

Originally posted by bottle View Post
                            Nah, don't worry. A little rudeness can be okay. I'm sure it would be nothing compared to what the poster "elephantiasis" used to do over at Talk Tennis before we both received our bans.

After I posted, he'd think of the most evil thing he could do in reply. Once it was a picture of Chuck Barris or whoever the guy was who always had "the unknown comic" appear in a regular segment of The Gong Show.

This man would wear a paper bag over his head with two eye holes cut in it.
                            But when elephantiasis embedded this picture the bag was on fire!

Yes, I'm quite sure I was burned in effigy. Not that I'm paranoid. Come back little Sheba, I mean little Nabrug-- you were mild.

About myelin: 97 per cent unknown. And I'm not sure that "go ten times slower" applies to the past. My previous generation drank much too much, especially the ones on university faculties, those early ejaculators.

In future tennis, going ten times slower could mean take time to lift the threshold of difficulty just to where one's instructive mistakes begin to appear, and don't try for perfection too soon, and don't play any tournaments until you have a full toolbox, Little Buddy, Little Miss.

On the other hand, so much isn't known of myelin that one can probably say anything and not be terribly wrong.

It's fun, though, to know that people have seen it. Very exciting, according to the author of THE TALENT CODE Daniel Coyle is to see the oligos actually wrapping on the goop.

I think of workers laying huge black pipe by the side of an excavated highway.
                            A heavy machine inches along using three dispensers on a single shaft to twirl on a triple layer of gauze.

One picture is worth a thousand worms, however, so I demand that one of the neuroscientist members of Tennis Player produce a full length movie showing this action by next Thursday right here in these pages.
                            I am not sure if this ties in with what you are talking about, maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, maybe it is just interesting as a side note.... maybe it isn't haha

Here is my article form www.tpatennis.net

By Tom Allsopp

All great players look as though they have more time than the average player. Roger Federer looks like he is never rushed. Is this because of his technique, footwork and all round tennis excellence or can time be manipulated? Some professional athletes believe it can:

George Knudsen, a professional golfer would drive to the course at around 15mph and even started this slowing down process the evening before, for the reason of feeling like time slowing down would help his performance. From the website sportshypnosis.co.uk they state, “when a sports person creates an intense level of focus they have heightened awareness so are able to take more ‘snap-shots’ per second of real clock time, thus time can seem to slow down.”

As a coach I am looking for ways to teach advanced methods such as time manipulation without making it seem too complicated, unachievable or maybe even a little strange for the average person. I feel as though there are many things I can do as a coach to work on this without my pupils being overwhelmed. Here are a few methods that I believe can lead to at least a perceived slowing of time:

Footwork – Less is sometimes more. Every step should have a purpose. You don’t see Federer doing many movements without a purpose. Quite often he will use far fewer steps than your average club player especially when running to and from a wide shot. Therefore efficiency in the way a player moves can create more time.
                            Speed – This can be classed as footwork and a quick first step could be classed as reaction time but pure speed like we see from Nadal, Federer, Murray and Djorkovic is what gives these players time to hit their shots and it is not a coincidence that they are the fastest and the best in the world.
                            Reaction Time – The more you spend time in front of a 120mph serve for example, the more you will get used to it and the slower it will seem. Without the correct technique however, you may never be able to return it consistently.
                            Technique – The way you swing the racket has a lot to do with time. With lighter rackets there is a tendency to do massive swings that probably couldn’t have been achieved with wooden rackets. However, even professional players with big swings know when to shorten their swing to make them less rushed. A player such as Federer is a master at this. His ability to shorten his swing means he is rarely late for a shot, giving the appearance of extra time.

Whether time can be slowed down or not, the fact that the player feels like time has slowed down allows them to get more done or to be less rushed, just as though time had actually slowed down. My coach when I was a junior would tell me to imagine I was making a video on how to make the game look easy. If you do this for long enough you will be more relaxed and time will seem like it is slowing down. This is something I have continued with my pupils. I also ask them to give themselves a rating out of ten for how relaxed they felt on the previous shot. This gives them the feeling of not being rushed and they can therefor focus on other elements of their game. Quite often their technique will instantly improve because they are now more aware of what they are doing. It also makes it easier for myself to make changes to their technique when they slow down and take their time. The next time things are not going the way you would like, whether in practice or a match, I suggest trying this trick and you might feel like time just slowed down, allowing you to play smoother and clearing your mind by giving you something else to focus on.

There are always times in a match when things are going your way and you are playing well, and there are times in every match when you are not playing so well. Let’s say that for 30 minutes you are playing well and for 30 minutes you are playing badly throughout a 60 minute match. One would want to play 60% or more points in the time period where they are playing well and 40% or less in the time period where they are not playing so well. You see examples of this in many tennis matches. Andre Agassi played extremely fast when he had his opponent on the ropes. Many players also slow down the play when things are not going in their favor, to the point where they take bathroom breaks or dubious injury timeouts. Not only does this stop the flow of their opponent but it stops time from flying by as they start to lose. Pete Sampras after losing in his first Davis Cup final to France and Henri Leconte said, “the score just seemed to fly by”, and after talking about the noisy crowd said, “I should have asserted greater control over the situation by walking away from the service notch to wait until they calmed down. That would have represented control, and playing at my own pace.”

This sounds a lot like tactics and it definitely would be classed as tactics or maybe gamesmanship in the tennis world but in other situations it can seem like more. There are two ways to gamble using similar theories. One is when you lose money, bet more because your fortune will inevitably turn around shortly, this is called ‘chasing’ your money and that thought process can easily be linked with tennis, and is not advised for either game. The other more popular theory would be when you are on a winning streak bet more and when you are on a losing streak bet less. This is not directly linked to time as such but if everything was equal at all times then there would be no need for these theories to exist. Maybe they do not need to exist but if things do flow up and down, whether it be time speeding up or slowing down, or your fortune is in or out at different moments, learning how to manipulate time with great technique and movement as well as with tricks of the trade is important and interesting to ponder.

If you have any thoughts on this I would love to read your comments!

Comment

Time...is on my side, yes it is! (The Rolling Stones)

Well tpatennis...you will find that anything that you have to say is not entirely out of place here on the forum. Stumphges may disagree with me though, he rather succinctly let me know that one of my posts certainly did not belong to a certain thread he was conducting or was being written in his honor or his behalf, I think it was about spaghetti strings. He really dismissed me. Which is alright...he is entirely within his rights. In my book. Btw...excusssse me all to pieces stumphges. I have read your stuff...and it's impressive, very scientific and all of that. I am not arguing that. I can do the math. I still don't understand why I used to be able to generate much more kick spin with my old wood racquets with the gut strings than I can with the new fangled stuff. I think that the answer was in your recent post, though I am not certain. But that's ok...I am on a need to know basis. I can't serve like I used to. This much I do know. Yes tpatennis...it's all on the table here at the tennisplayer.net forum...John Yandell's baby and bottle's playground...and the rest of us.

There are a few here that are making some noise...or creating whatever it is that describes the phenomena of the internet (chatter?), but there are many more that are just listening and reading...and wondering. Some great ones that are not contributing on a regular basis...or at all for that matter. I wonder what they are thinking. One of the many entertaining aspects of this site is to view who is online and to see what they are reading...often times I go there and read exactly what they are reading. Terribly entertaining. To me, at least.

One thing leads to another. Yes it does. Connect the dots. Follow the leads...and see where it takes you. Sherlock Holmes...the greatest Brit of all? Sometimes I think bottle is throwing curveballs and maybe he is, but isn't that what it is all about...applying spin? We are all "Spin Doctors" in the end. I spin to you, you spin to me. The world is a ball...spinning through time and space. So your article is of particular interest to this conversation...absolutely. It's all on the table...just not in the sense that Hillary Clinton and Barack Hussein Oblabla mean it.

Time...and the manipulation. According to the books "The Teachings of Don Juan: A Yaqui Way of Knowledge", "Journey to Ixtlan" and "A Separate Reality", a story about a young Hispanic anthropologist named Carlos Castaneda who meets an ancient Yaqui Indian in the Sonoran Desert, it is possible to "stop the world". It's not only possible but imperative to living a healthy life, as it turns out. I spent some time in the Arizona deserts learning this little peculiar facet of life with an ancient Apache Indian. My father was recently visiting me and he made the comment to me that it seemed to him that time is passing so quickly and my response was that it seems to be going on forever...it's dragging it's feet. I guess that I learned my lesson. The trick is to not have children...this is besides what the old Indian taught. My father is 83 years old now, and to some people that may sound old but I can tell you that he still moves like a cat...if not an "older cat". We went out on the tennis court and I put him in a group with two ten year old girls named Nora and Tilda...that was an interesting blend. An interesting visual. I was showing him how to hit a topspin backhand with a strong eastern grip and he caught on really quick...which is amazing seeing that he hit his backhand predominately with underspin and a continental grip all of his life. He hadn't played tennis in some thirty years...but he was an amazing athlete. He still is. He's old school.

I loved your point about good old George Knudson...I have taught golf professionally as well and one of my little pearl's that I would dispense to my students was the importance of not trying to hit too hard...or to swing too fast. I actually used as an example for my students to try to drive slower than normal, slightly under the speed limit, in fact...what an effort that is in our modern society. Has anybody tried taking their time to do anything lately? It's only a matter of time before some maniac in the midst of their own road rage is inches behind your rear bumper trying to drive you off the road...for driving too slow. Everyone is running around pall mall...like chicken's with their heads cut off. Ironically going nowhere. When it comes time to take that golf swing you had better have yourself under control...and it helps to stop the world in that moment. I would recommend swinging at 85% percent capacity because this tempo is easier to dial into on a daily basis rather than full machine, 100%, all of the time. Some days you feel better than others and your 100% is all of a sudden 110%...and then you spend the entire round trying to compensate for that extra speed in your swing. Or vice versa. Some days you don't feel so well and your 100% is all of a sudden 87.2%...then you find yourself trying to compensate for the lack of speed by swinging harder, instead of merely accepting your loss of distance and hitting the ball comfortably down the fairway. In order to stop the world...you have to be able to dial into your own clock. Time management.

So when I hear someone say that they are 83 years old, or 71 years old, or 57 years old (my age now and Don Budge's age when I met him in 1972), or 30 years of age...I think that the number represents the number of times that the earth has traveled around the sun with that person on it. The number is not so much an age as it is an indicator...or a standard, or merely a measurement of time. My father may be 71 years old when compared to another 83 year old or the 30 year old may have the wisdom of someone who is 57 years old...and so on and so forth. Everybody lives to be one...one lifetime that is. You are born and then you die. In the wink of a young girl's eye? Some people say that you are only as old as you feel...I say that you are only as old as the woman that you feel. In the end, it's not the miles...it's the terrain. Time is a river...you can feel it flowing in your veins, if you can stop the world.

So of course great athletes learn to manipulate time as you assert in your article...but only on the smallest scale, the minutest of scale. A pinprick in the universe. Roger does it best of all...on every shot he virtually stops the world. I can see it...so can you for that matter, if you know what it is you are looking for. Tiger Woods used to be able to do it...before he got "distracted". The only problem these guys have is that while they have discovered how to bend time a bit in the craft that they pursue...in reality their lives are running along lickity split...it's over before they know it. Because in reality...their time is not their own because of the professional demands upon it. When it comes down to it, the whole thing boils down to "time management" or early preparation, but that only applies to "real time" and I am a bit uncertain how it applies nowadays to "virtual time"...which I hate to inform everyone, we exist in. It's the collective unconscious vs. the internet. It's the truth vs. psychobabble. Old school vs. new school. Reality as we knew it...those of us old enough to of known the old days, is in the past. Some of the posters here think that I am stuck in the past because of my great love and respect for the traditional and original game of tennis...they actually used to call it "real" tennis early on, but I can assure them that I am not stuck anywhere because I am in the moment, the spot in front of my nose, and that moment is flowing along with the rest of the river...to the destination.

So tpatennis...your article is very welcome here. It actually ties in very nicely. Food for thought. We thank you for any provocative thoughts you send our way. It's refreshing. We appreciate new blood. I thought that it was very interesting. It's another dot along the way...in the river. So to speak. Dot, dot, dot. Footwork, Speed, Reaction Time and Technique are all key facilitators in the management of time when a great athlete is performing his craft, what a beautiful ballerina is doing as she is whirling and twirling like a dervish, when an old Indian shaman puts one foot in front of the other on the ground like a prayer...like a McEnroe when he ever so deftly and delicately plants his right foot, like a litany, on the forehand volley, arguably the toughest stroke in tennis. All of that blinding preparation gives you one small pinprick in time to be under control, when you begin to go forward with your swing as if you have all of the time in the world. When in reality you're are under the most impossible of time constraints. Oh Lord...to get in position! Like Roger. Just once in my Life. The moment of truth. But all of this just contributes to "stopping the world"...even though it is a forgotten art that is remembered only by the ancients and is being rejected by the modern world...largely through science...and that is when the scientists are not acting like they are reinventing the concept. But just one more point my young friend...don't forget the element of ANTICIPATION. What is going to happen, what is about to happen...in the future! Don't ever forget...these are only moments that we borrow.

Time manipulation...what an interesting thought.
                              Last edited by don_budge; 08-30-2011, 12:17 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                              don_budge

Comment

Playground

Welcome to my playground! I'm Bigfoot. Wherever you hit the ball, there I will be. Once, John Yandell used a lovely parenthetical regarding myself. "If he behaves himself..." he said. The pressure has been on ever since. Still don't know if I can do it.

I, too, applaud the above article by Tom Allsopp on stopping time. Among its other virtues is its smashing up of one of those ready made ideas that can creep, insidiously and unbeknownst to the person, into anyone's unconscious.

From reading the old book RICK ELSTEIN'S TENNIS KINETICS, WITH MARTINA NAVRATILOVA and starring Mary Carillo in its visuals, I got the idea of little steps. Watching people like John McEnroe or Justine Henin or even Roger Federer only reinforced this.

But Tom, with eyes like a dermatologist, has noticed something that the rest of us can see only once it has been pointed out-- that when Roger isn't using small steps, he's using big steps.

This is essential intelligence for a tall person such as myself. Get there first.
                                Then refine position with small adjustments if needs be or maybe throw in a couple extra just to stay alive.

Also, in Roger's first match at The Open last night, he took countless balls on the rise-- talk about stopping time! It's fun to see an uneven match once in a while. The virtuoso comes out.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3300 users online. 4 members and 3296 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X