Thoughts about Tennis Tradition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin Dancing...and footwork.

tradi’tion n. body of beliefs, facts, etc., handed down to generation to generation without being reduced to writing; the process of handing down.

Originally posted by bottle View Post
    Welcome to my playground! I'm Bigfoot. Wherever you hit the ball, there I will be.

This is essential intelligence for a tall person such as myself. Get there first.
    Then refine position with small adjustments if needs be or maybe throw in a couple extra just to stay alive.
    Before I was don_budge...I was johnny_tango. Buenos Aires...tango by night and red clay tennis by day.

John...I mean Bigfoot...er, bottle. If you have a wall over there on Lake St. Clair that you can hit against, try this. As the ball comes back to you...get in position, crouch, with your back foot start with a cha cha cha. Three small, quick steps and now you are ready to go forward to plant your front foot to deliver the payload! Ole!
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

No More Celebrations of 9/11 as The Biggest Crime in the History of Mankind

Yes, I've always loved that shot and did in fact hit it against the hi-tech wall at the town park just on Friday since the high school had already slurped up every available court.

When I'd watch videos of Stan Smith doing it, I'd think, "He gets going first. And whatever else he needs to do he does along the way."

O my sciatica. O my myelin. O my my my.

If I do it with more crouch combined with a more schoolish unit turn, to begin, I may revert to John playing tennis his very first day, according to Matthew Syed, author of the book called BOUNCE, so instead, "Cry havoc and let slip the doglets of war!"

Yeah, skip forward and whup up on all warmongering fruitcakes everywhere.

Have these pomposities ever heard of Hiroshima? Me and Mothra are going to get these silly fear-biters. You mark my words.
      Last edited by bottle; 09-11-2011, 04:23 AM.

Comment

9/11/01-9/11/10...what happened?

tradi’tion n. body of beliefs, facts, etc., handed down to generation to generation without being reduced to writing; the process of handing down.

Surreal day yesterday. The day after the epic on Ashe where the King was slain. Full moon. Tenth anniversary of the strangest day in the history of "modern man". Propaganda all day long...just to remind everybody. The authorities retelling the story. Everybody on the same page? Good boys and girls. Political correctness working.

So what were you doing 10 years ago? I went to work as the manager of a quality control testing facility in one of the Big Three car companies in Detroit. The planes hit...the news spread. Then a plane supposedly hit the Pentagon, at which point I left my job and went home directly.

I said to myself, "that is the most protected airspace in the world, nothing gets through those defenses". I watched the news...they repeated the same thing over and over. It seemed like a zillion times. Video of planes hitting the towers...but not the Pentagon. Why not?

That night I read George Orwell's "1984" again...in it's entirety. I knew that the world had changed that day. A lot of our traditions died that day...which is a dangerous thing.

The story is sketchy...the evidence doesn't add up. We needed Sherlock Holmes to sort it out...they wanted to give us Henry Kissinger instead.

Yesterday was a strange day...I couldn't wait until it was over.
        Last edited by don_budge; 09-17-2011, 12:09 AM.
        don_budge

Comment

September 13, 2001...

On September 13th...two days later, my boss asked me to handle this assignment in our department and this is what I said to my employees:

"The company has asked that we join other major Detroit organizations in observing a moment of silence in memory of the killed or injured in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania. I asked a number of you whether we should observe this individually or as a group. It was decided we would do this as a group.

The question is no longer a question of diversity but a question of unity. All of our lives have been dramatically altered since the terrorist attack on our country on Tuesday, we cannot begin to comprehend. The question is now what do we all have in common. The answer to this is quite simple...we are all Americans and we are all Ford Motor Company employees. Now we must all pull together to the best of our ability.

On Tuesday, there were thousands of people who went to work in New York City and Washington D. C. who thought it was just another day, another day at work, just like we did...and now they are no more. Let us observe a moment of silence for the dead and injured."

We sobbed and cried as a group that day...and today the American people are divided and confused. We could not begin to comprehend...the future.
          Last edited by don_budge; 09-17-2011, 12:09 AM.
          don_budge

Comment

Worst thing about 9/11 is Bin Laden achieved everything he could have hope for and cemented himself in history for ever more...in a similar, vile way as Hitler. Shame we can't erase the existence of such monsters forever.

Hitler has few followers these days, let's hope Bin Laden's dwindle in the same way over time...
            Stotty

Comment

Sorry, Stotty, I'd rather go to the court and work on one-sided scapular retraction right now, but weren't we the original supporters of Bin Laden, as he stood up against the Russians in Afghanistan?

And don't we Americans have a dreary tendency to turn everything into an American western, with good guys vs. bad guys?

The Cambridge, Massachusetts linguist Noam Chomsky, not at all sure that Bin Laden was the actual mastermind of 9/11, said that for Bin to claim to be so, was like him, Chomsky, claiming to have won the Boston Marathon.

Are you, Stotty, or is anyone we know, actually sure that Bin Laden was the mastermind of 9/11 ? If so, what is the evidence? Was there a trial?

You see, all we have to do is decide that we don't need evidentiary trials any more, and then we can kill anybody we want-- just call him a bad guy-- could be a woman or child or animal in Afghanistan.

I watched a video this morning in which Ray McGovern, the 72-year-old former top CIA analyst and spokesman through countless presidencies was dragged out of a speech by Hillary Clinton and bloodied, bruised and beaten-- not even for saying anything but for turning his back on her while he was in the audience.

Did Hillary drag him out? Possibly, but the camera showed two thugs who were working for her.

She meanwhile was holding forth about Mubarak's abuse of free speaking
              protesters in Egypt, and she pretended not to notice what was happening right in front of her.

We have many fascistic tendencies here in the U.S. I won't speak for Great Britain but I've heard rumors (rumours).

Our last two presidents, similarly awful on torture and needless war, have done everything in their power to perpetuate them.
              Last edited by bottle; 09-12-2011, 05:54 AM.

Comment

[ATTACH]445[/ATTACH]

Comment

I fully understand the point you're making, bottle....and agree with many of your comments. But by any standards Bin Laden was most definitely a bad guy. Whether he was the true mastermind of 9/11 or not, he led the organization the did it...or did they...was it someone else....
                  Stotty

Comment

Agreed. But we could perhaps look to the American justice system, which took its beginnings from the England where you live, I believe, in order to give the clueless some idea of how to deal with very baddy, baddy, baddy baddies.
                    Last edited by bottle; 09-12-2011, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Bottle,

Many countries have copied or taken from various aspects of the British judicial system...until someone comes up with something better, it's the best model going...Despite all our faults, we are, on balance, one of the fairest countries around...many would argue or contest this, but when you look around and compare us with other countries there is some truth in what I say.

As to your country:

Without America policing the world here and there, what state would the world be in now? It's a question we can never know the answer to because what is done is done....but on balance... the world would probably be worse off without US intervention....you ain't so bad you yanks... your more good than bad...Blair shouldn't have backed you over Iraq, but he did because we owed you favours from the past....he lied to us to field those favours back to you...we all know that now on our side of the pond.

Ultimately we've both paid the price for propping up dictatorships........I shan't go on...politics gets so complicated...Oh what a tangled web we weave...when first we practise to deceive...
                      Stotty

Comment

Those webs!!

Problem is those webs sometimes stay "sticky" way after they have done the job they were intended to do and pretty soon the webs are more problem than the varmints they were supposed to catch!
                        don

Comment

Geronimo...Bin Laden and wasps.

Yes...where was the trial? Usually it is at the trial where the evidence is presented. Hmmm...apparently Mr. Bin Laden was not even wanted for the "crime"...he wasn't charged at any rate. This is a new precedent isn't it...execution without a trial. Well it's too bad sometimes...that dead men can't talk.

If a lie is assumed to be true...then everything that follows that is predicated on that lie is, in fact, a lie also.

Historically speaking it wasn’t so long ago that America had their own problem with terrorists. Well, they weren’t really terrorists, they were the original inhabitants of the land. They had families, a way of life, probably even a judicial system to take care of the bad guys. They were the real "Americans".

Way back when...before I was don_budge, when I was johnny_rattlesnake I met a direct descendant of my favorite American ever. The man that I met was a Native American living in Arizona. Once upon a time...I was a little distraught with my life and the way that I was being treated by a fickle girlfriend and a harassing boss, so I went on a bit of a sojourn out west where one evening I found myself completely alone outside of Fort Bowie in the Chiricahua Mountains at dusk. For some inexplicable reason I yelled to the ruins of the fort, three times...Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo. There was no reply.

The next day as I was driving on the outskirts of a town in Arizona...on a dusty road there stood a crude sign written on a piece of cardboard that said...Geronimo III. Recognizing instantly that I was having a Carlos Castaneda moment I pulled off the road to seek the man that I was destined to meet. I never learned his real name but I called him Grandfather. When I visited him over the years, I would sit at his feet with a mini cassette recorder with which I taped our conversations while I listened to his story. The story was one about his great grandfather...Geronimo. In the end he gave me his hat...the shaman's hat.

A couple of times, since I have moved to Sweden, I have been asked who my favorite American is or was. Without thinking my lips form the same word that I yelled to the abandoned fort at dusk that evening in Arizona...Geronimo. I get some funny looks. The story that Grandfather told me during that period when I sat at his feet like a schoolboy (I was thirty or so at the time) was a compelling and passionate account of the man and the legend...and how he was hunted like a dog by the American government. His crime was that he was fighting for his freedom, his people and his life. That made him a freedom fighter...not a terrorist. It’s all about point of view...perspective.

The operation that supposedly terminated the life of Osama Bin Laden was called Operation Geronimo...or so we are led to believe. Who can believe anything these days? The official account has been somewhat garbled and edited with liberal use of the edit function and we are left to sort out the puzzle to somehow come up with some plausible explanation that will serve as the truth for us in the future.

Anyways, the Apache people are very offended that this man’s name would be used in connection with the manhunt that the Western world considers the worst scoundrel in history...witness that he has elevated his status to the most evil one...Adolf Hitler. They are a little touchy about their ancestors you see...they have great respect for tradition and the old ways. At least they did before the soul of their people was ripped from them. There aren't many Apache people around anymore, most of them were wiped off the map by the American government. Those that survive live on a minimal existence and are mostly delegated to fixed spots in the country called a reservation...in a land that once was their land, where they were free to come and go as they pleased. No passports and no tickets needed. We as a nation designated a holiday to these people called Thanksgiving...it helps us to sleep better at night.

Osama Bin Laden is a man who by all accounts used to be an employee for some nefarious projects that the American government had been conducting in Afghanistan and other points in the Arab world. I have never met him. I have never met any of his family. I have never even met anybody who claimed to have known him. Judging by the accuracy of what passes for the news these days...I cannot even know one single solitary fact about him. I must honestly say...I don't even sympathize with him. I don't know him. All I know is what I have heard...and that amounts to here say. I for one...am in favor of judicial proceedings. I am against assassinations and extradicial renderings and torture. I for another...want to know the truth and the problem with dead men...is that they cannot talk.

This summer my wife and I made a huge project of painting the farm here. At a number of points in our project I encountered colonies of bees and wasps that had built their homes and nests at various locations around the property. I suppose that I had a choice in the matter about how to manage these critters, these terrorists...afterall I am bigger than them, and certainly more intelligent, right? I could of used my God given right to kill them, they used to call it "Manifest Destiny" back when the Native population was being eradicated in America...I could kill every single little bitty one of the pesky varmits...or I could use the tact that I chose. I talked to them. I soothed their little angry hearts. I assumed they were my equals. I assumed that they had a right to exist. I told them...that I understood. I was in their territory but I had some business to take care of but I would leave directly after it was done...and I promised that I would never disturb them in the future. I told them they could have their space. I respected them...and their God given right to live freely.

I never got stung...not once.
                          Last edited by don_budge; 09-17-2011, 12:08 AM.
                          don_budge

Comment

Johhny_Rattlesnake?

You are a piece of work, Johnny_Rattlesnake. The partner I won my gold ball with is part Apache. He played like it too. As good as anyone I ever saw inside the service line. Had to be to win a gold ball with me. But no groundies. He returned serve from a foot behind the service line, half-volleying the serves of some pretty good players and beating them to the net. In the mid 70's he had the long hair too. He should have played it up to get onto the Riordan circuit. But that's another story...

It would have been nice to have Bin Laden in a nice clean trial, but that would never have happened. By the way, you leave out the fact that he clearly put out videos under no apparent distress that he indeed was responsible for the things we accused him of. Clearly, there are way too many things covered up and needing of a little disinfecting sunlight. But those commandos were probably under strict orders to take no chances if there was any resistance at all. Let's not get the conspiracy theorists started on another fairy tale. There's enough real problems (like the story the ex-FBI agent came out with this week that there was a lot more Saudi involvement then we ever heard about).

My irritation is that while there seem to be lots of places in the world where, as Stotty might put it, a little American intervention seems warranted, we only get really involved when it involves our own financial interest. For one tenth or perhaps one fiftieth of the cost of our involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan, where we could have been better off just sending in a few drones to kill Saddam and his cronies in Iraq and the leaders of the Taliban tribes in Afghanistan, for just a small cost, we could intervene in Africa and same millions, maybe even tens of millions of lives from poverty, disease and tyranny. We might even have been able to build some markets where we could have sold products or even created some manufacturing systems that could have thrived with our direction while raising the quality of life for those people. The cheapest way to solve the problem in the Middle East would be to just take the money we spend to maintain that situation and use it instead to raise up the standard of living of every Palestinian. Turn their part of the desert into an oasis. It must cost us upwards of $100,000 per Palestinian over the last 50 years. The real cost we pay per gallon of gasoline is probably double what you pay in Sweden, but the M/I complex is doing just fine, thankyou. What if we had just invested that money in building them up. Nope. We go to war and end up ... well, if you get to read Bottle's "Last Words of Richard Holbrook", you'll just get more worked up. I started, but it just gets me more upset.

Instead of using intervention for good, we have created enemies. We make pacts of cooperation with hoodlums like Karzai and send drones in to kill innocent participants in weddings. Collateral damage. Not to the damaged. And the cost: a broken economy and a generation of young men we need in the future who are shattered and irreparably changed by their participation in these "elective" wars.

These "get them over there before they get us over here" nuts have caused unbelievable damage to our culture, our economy and our principles. I don't think the founding fathers would approve of the Bush "adventures". There is a reason there is so much acrimony and inability to get anything done in Washington. Too much of our government is based on a policy that counts others as less than ourselves. That is not America!

The soldiers fighting for Saddam Hussein could have cared less about the United States. They certainly didn't care about Saddam. The fighters we kill in Afghanistan are mostly doing what their tribal leaders and mullahs tell them to do. The people sending those suicide bombers survive and even thrive. By and large, they live in the same conditions they lived in in the Middle Ages. Except now they have guns and IED's.

No...let's not do this. Let's leave the Tennisplayer forum a politics-free zone. Please.

don

Comment

To my friend...regards our conversation.

I was having this conversation the other day with a friend of mine...a younger man in his early thirties, I guess that dates his time of birth around 1981. Somewhere around there. We were discussing a couple of issues surrounding the sport of tennis. It wasn’t really a conversation...we were exchanging e-mails as it was. He’s a tennis player, or rather more specifically a tennis coach,he really knows his stuff...so he really knows how to go for the jugular...you know, hit you where it hurts. Tennis players eventually learn where the "soft" spots are. I am not one hundred percent certain if his comments were made to stimulate the conversation or if he really believed in what he was saying. For whatever reason that his intentions were...it made me think.

We were discussing an article that was entitled “Why Serve and Volleying has Become a Lost Art”. The conclusion that the author came to was that the reason that serve and volley doesn’t exist anymore was due to the fact that kids start training at too early an age where it isn’t practical to teach them all of the nuances of the game that are required to play all court tennis...which you dear readers know that I am a proponent of. I certainly cannot argue with the premise of the article, that the early expectations of young tennis players are sort of diametrically opposed to learning all court tennis...because that would mean sacrificing some early “success” as measured in terms of rankings in the relative age divisions, which makes it a difficult sell for parents and therefore coaches...we had no difference of opinion regarding this premise.

This business of grooming young children to be competitive tennis players really runs against my philosophy of life as it is today. I have my objections. I have my doubts about the modern ways. I believe that children are too young to be groomed for much of anything before the age of ten in 98% of the population, but the percentage gradually rises as the child gets older. Certainly there are exceptions and there is such a thing as a prodigy, I don't argue that, but I maintain they are few and far between. My question is...should we conduct our tennis programs in search of and for the betterment of that 2%? Or should we do what is more practical and even more sane with regards to the physical, mental and emotional health of these children...shouldn’t we target the whole population of tennis playing children in terms of recreation, health and happiness instead of the purely competitive model? Traditionally speaking...this is the way the sport was promoted way back when, say in the 1960’s and 1970’s.

Back in this period of time, tennis was more or less promoted as a family oriented recreational activity. Perhaps Mom and Dad had a couple of old wooden racquets lying around and every once in a while they would go out and bat the ball around. Chances are their children would tag along and they could amuse themselves at the park on the swings and seesaws, perhaps on the jungle gym or in a sandbox..or perhaps just sitting quietly, curiously watching Mom and Dad bat the ball around on the tennis court. Little Johnny or Suzie would watch for a period of time, but as normal kids do, they get a bit antsy...and another normal thing they do, they want to imitate Mommy and Daddy. They begin to want to play tennis. I know. This is how I started. Those are some really fond memories...when Mom and Dad were together and I was a boy. My Dad was "The Man"...not Stan Smith or Ilie Nastase or anyone else for that matter.

So...before you know it, Mom and Dad are batting it around on one court and Johnny and Suzie are messing around on another court, or messing around hitting against the wall, or maybe it’s not even on the court...maybe they are using paddles and another kind of ball to hit it back and forth. The die is cast. The hook is sunk. Eventually little Johnny and Suzie are not so little anymore and they make a decision to pursue the game of tennis...in the traditional sense. They eventually become old enough to make some decisions about their lives. So there you go julian1, Tim Mayotte, USTA, President Obama and the rest...give the family something to do besides knocking themselves out trying to put the next meal on the table. Make it a family recreational activity...not a preoccupation with a professional pursuit for children before they are ready. Our government is too preoccupied with other concerns and has no time for such trivial thoughts as peaceful, meaningful and family oriented activities. Stop the world!

If it were up to me...this aspect of life would be very high on my agenda. Perhaps our government has blown the window of opportunity and we continue to spiral right into the abyss...like the water in the toilet spiraling to the sewer. This is the way we should of been thinking back in say...1989 when “The Wall” was torn down and the Cold War supposedly ended. I know I was. I submitted a proposal to the Ford Motor Company that they courteously responded to...they were not interested in altruism...they were in the business of making cars. Making profits. There was a window there...to do good things. They blew it. Unfortunately, “The Machine” has other interests and they are not always in the American people’s best interests, as they are so often heard to tout. Whenever I hear the American President...such as a Clinton, a Bush or an Obama say something to the effect of “the American people want...”, I cringe as to what comes next after that statement. Normally it is something not in their best interests at all.

When tennis was treated as a family recreational activity, such as in the ancient decades of the 1960’s and the 1970’s, America was very strong in the world of tennis...well, we were strong generally speaking. In 1971, of the top 100 players in the world, 25 just happened to be Americans, 16 were Aussies and 7 were Brits. They were all basically serving and volleying by the way. The game wasn't all souped up. The tennis culture back then was not overtly preoccupied with producing great junior champions. No, they were more preoccupied with getting Mom and Dad involved in the game to give them something to do in their leisure time. The parents joined tennis clubs. You know, to get some exercise, to laugh a little, maybe even get a little angry on each other when they played mixed doubles together...eventually it was renamed “mixed troubles” for all of the animosity it produced. But in spite of themselves...Mom's and Dad's were having parties on Saturday nights playing mixed doubles into the wee hours...there was Men’s night on Friday night and the boys were having a beer or two with some pretzels at the club afterwards and not getting into any serious trouble...and then there was Ladies Day, which was everyday during the week, where the good looking tennis pro was having a field day in more ways than one. Somehow out of this concept of family recreational activities there were enough children taking up the sport to create a population of players where eventually some became competitive tournament players, and then a certain number eventually became college players, and of these another number eventually became professional players. Not always in that order...but you get my drift. It’s only a numbers game. Where's the mystery in that?

If you put enough monkey’s in a room with enough typewriters...sooner or later one of them will type out the King James Version of the Bible. Oh hell, even if they don’t get it right in the end it’s a lot of fun to watch them try. It’s fun to watch the children play...the more the merrier. The modern philosophy of immediate preoccupation of becoming the next so and so is stupid! It's supposed to be about having fun...not busting balls from the get go for a living. The more that children play...the healthier society is.

Back in the 1960’s and 1970’s there were many public tennis courts and believe it or not...many of them were being used. In the city where I grew up in a suburb of Detroit, we had three high schools and a community college and each had a set of at least eight tennis courts, the community college had ten. During the summer of 1971 I remember queuing up for a court with my father or driving in our little black VW Beetle to the next location because the queue was too long...too long of a wait. Each high school and the community college had varsity tennis teams with tennis coaches of at least minimal ability. During the summer each of the high school’s hired a couple of the best local junior players to work in the recreation department to supervise the tennis courts and conduct competition and tournaments for all levels of players...not just tomorrow's Superstars. At the community college there was a coach who spearheaded the program more or less for the entire city...he was an enthusiastic, traditional, Tilden/Gonzales loving, all court, charismatic, handsome tennis aficionado, who passionately loved to teach tennis. Surprised? There’s your recipe for success. A large population of willing students of all ages and abilities...and the Pied Piper or The Music Man. A charismatic teacher.

Obviously times have changed. For those of you that are not old enough to remember those days...it’s not your fault. Blame it on those responsible. Connect the dots. The three little dots. Keep in mind one thing as we go hurtling pall mall into the future. All change is not for the better. Training children to be professional tennis players is a sad and desperate measure. Truly pathetic.

So my friend...I hope that you are beginning to see there is a difference between a 1971 VW and a 2006 BMW. That Beetle may not go nearly as fast as the Beamer...but it is still on the road! But you are right...the Beamer will probably still be on the road in 2046. Hmmm.

More to follow...Part 2. Equipment and Athletes.
                              Last edited by don_budge; 09-19-2011, 08:03 PM. Reason: for sanity's sake...
                              don_budge

Comment

Hmmm...Sergio Cruz, Ken Rosewall, Roger Federer, Carl Jung and a couple of things.

I have this preoccupation with being "polite"...perhaps a victim of tennis etiquette. I originally posted in the "New Year's Serve" but once again checked myself on the basis of formalities and posted this in "Thoughts...". I don't care to step on bottle's toes...or anyone else's for that matter. I wonder what makes me tick? I know that I am not a nutcase. At least Frankie, my chocolate lab, assures me that I am not.

Such a relevant article with regards to the conversation we have been having about one handed slice backhands and the like, that more or less started with the Bernard Tomic thread. I must say...this conversation is so much more interesting to me than the ad nauseam discussions about topspin forehands and the technique that produces them. Isn't it wonderful to see Ken Rosewall and Roger Federer side by side stroking the tennis ball. To the author’s credit he actually touches on tactics...and the influence of technique on tactics. I don’t know...call me quirky.

“My favorite part of the whole Cruz article is where he describes how he and his buddy were at some courts and followed their ears to the best "clink" they heard, which was provided by Ken Rosewall's contact with a tennis ball. If people just pursued the best clink of which they are capable they might develop well! Let clink determine all, in other words, especially the details.”- bottle.

“In 1988 Jim Courier and I were entering an indoor facility where players were preparing for the Detroit ATP tournament.We could hear the resonant sounds of tennis balls being struck on dozens of courts but, we could not see the courts nor the players yet. A particularly clean sounding stroke attracted my attention and I said to Jim, "There is someone here that hits the ball cleaner then anyone else!"! We went to the court where this special resonance emanated from, and to our surprise...that someone was Ken Rosewall."-the author.

Interesting that you were attracted to this bit about the “clink”...I referred to the “ping of the string” in the 2011 US Open thread...just for funsies. For the life of me though...I cannot remember a 1988 ATP event in Detroit and I don't know of any site there that has "dozens" of courts...I am quite certain that I would remember that. It's before the fuzzies and the cobwebs started to form in my noodle. Perhaps there was a Senior event that may of even taken place at my club in Dearborn...The Fairlane Club. I find it curious if the author has not made a bit of a foggy memory issue here or perhaps he has "misspoken" ala Hilarious Hysterical Clinton. Misspoken was her way of admitting to being caught in a bold face lie. It's a euphemism...or not. Does it have any bearing on the article? Does truth have any bearing on anything anymore? Would it matter if he and Courier traipsing around some fictitious tennis club in the Motor City searching out some fabulous "clink" is only in his imagination to generate a basis for this article? Hmmm?

Anything done in the backswing should only serve to twist the rubber band that is the collaboration of your body, racquet and mind...the genetic makeup of your technique...it should only twist the rubber band so that there is no conscious effort required when you allow the rubber band to unwind “naturally”...of it’s own volition. tennis_chiro is absolutely right...dear old Kenny is not manipulating his forearm in the unwinding process, it is behaving on it’s own based on the physics of his winding up of his backswing.

The author makes some good valid points regards the differences in the Rosewall and Federer backhands but fails to ascertain the fundamental reason behind them. He makes the universal error these days in giving mankind too much credit in the “evolution” department with his “Evolution of the Game” synopsis comments. Mankind does not get much credit in the evolving department in the don_budge book on Anthropology and Mythology these days...it appears man is “devolving” in a rather pronounced spiral...right into the “mulch pile”. Is that too harsh? Not at all...man is too dependent on his devices and his oversized racquets. His yacking about the speed of the game and the court coverage is a lot of smoke...it’s the usual nonsense, it's only engineering and quite possibly drugs. It's only man's propensity to interfere with the nature of things. I think my post in the “Tomic” thread..."The bounce, the equipment and the ability to spin the ball...a sequel to Tilden", could of been substituted for his “Evolution of the Game” section...he may of summed things up nicely and very neatly with my help.

Perhaps it is boring for the reader to be constantly reminded that this is not evolution...it is engineering by definition. At no point does the author make any reference to the change in equipment unless his reference to “weapons of mass destruction” is an oblique reminder. The author is another victim of the “shock and awe” modern philosophy of man...it only serves to deceive which only serves for bigger lies to follow. It’s so insidious...that the sum of it all, is a disinformation society that practices indiscriminate warfare around the world. It‘s the Afghanistan thing. It’s all related...the cosmos ties it all together in it's own internet, before there was the internet, the "Jungian Collective Unconscious" the cosmos' own thread was/is entitled...”The Truth”. Rest assured it still exists even if it is buried in a huge pile disinformation...and sound bites and gigahertz.

Ahem...the frame that is missing in the Rosewall sequence is the frame between 5 and 6. Here we are left with only an approximation of where he is meeting the ball with his racquet. Where is the Yandellian VideoScope when you need it? The point here is that this point...”it” in the jargon of the don_budge world of tennis, that one moment in time and space where everything is perfect...may fluctuate to reflect the type of shot and the amount of spin that the old maestro Rosewall is producing.

Your observation and subsequent remark about his backhand “always looking the same but never described the same” is a beauty...and in your "bottle-esque" speak and manner, you have arrived at an important “truth”. It has all of the appearances of being the same, but it is the subtlety with which dear old Kenny will manipulate the swing to make the ball behave in subtle yet dramatic different fashions. It’s rather amazing how much he could do with underspin...by applying the same fundamentals to his variety of swings. We have lost so much in terms of subtlety. I certainly can understand how "shock and awe" and the playing with "weapons of mass destruction" are more appealing to the masses...based on our fascination with computer games, and virtual reality and virtual morality and the like.

I think that on the surface this is a pretty good article but if you dig a bit...there are some rather interesting discrepancies...which after all may only be summed up under the rather broad category of...”The Truth in Tennis”...and this article is a reflection in the world of Cruz.

The strength of it are in the pictures...and the comparison between good old Kenny Rosewall and the living proof...Roger Federer.
                                Last edited by don_budge; 10-17-2011, 03:19 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8630 users online. 6 members and 8624 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X