No announcement yet.

Thoughts about Tennis Tradition...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not really sure what directly you disagree with John?

You do realize what “guidelines” mean?

“Simply put, guidelines are general recommendations; they're not mandatory or required.”

Not sure how the Risk Manager at your site missed informing you of this … you need lawyers to write that properly as any action you take puts the organization at considerable legal and financial risk.
    Last edited by tenniscoach1; 05-25-2023, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      Yep...welcome aboard. But I have some bad news for you...you are late. Late for the party. The forum was once upon a time a different kind of place than it is now. Now it is cancel culture. If your opinion is not on board with the herd...forget about it. So it is best to have a life...golf is a much more interesting sport. I admit...my tennis playing days are over. But tradition still is on my mind. I even wonder how people lived 2,000 years ago when Christianity was introduced to the world. The birth of many of our traditions in the Western world. These are being canceled as well. For a long time I wrote about Roger Federer. I wrote about him as "The Living Proof". As if there was a time when things were actually better. Or not. I was only musing. Just as I was in the post below. Musing about traditionalism versus modernism.

Tennis is a woke sport by definition. All sense of tradition was demolished and what prevailed does not even resemble what it used to be. You cannot stop progress...but remember every invention comes with a curse. Welcome aboard. Now you are entering frontiers unknown. But one look at the modern game of tennis will tell you a thing or two...now that Roger Federer is gone. The Living Proof. It is a dead sport. The forum is further proof of that. All agreeing. Nodding in collective harmony. Diverse opinions are explicitly forbidden. It's weak. Very weak. It's engineered...not evolving. Best of luck. Sincerely. Best of luck.

The fourth post from notibo was brilliant. So was stroke's 3,654th. I'm giving it a like. Both of them. For their sheer brilliance.

Greatest post ever.

Comment

• TC1 thanks for the advice. Are you trying to imply you are gonna sue me now? It's a tennis site--if you want to post your political views or personal attacks there are plenty of places for that--other places.

Comment

• It is very difficult to find a great Risk Manager nowadays it seems.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
            TC1 thanks for the advice. Are you trying to imply you are gonna sue me now? It's a tennis site--if you want to post your political views or personal attacks there are plenty of places for that--other places.
            John - when I think about suing I ask one question - can I crush them, keep them in court forever till someone breaks in a settlement game of chicken, does this business have enough money for me to recover my lawyers fee and discovery/investigation costs and do my risk management people approve the potential loss if I lose?

What would make you think I would sue you ha-ha ... I simply stated a fact you need a risk manager.
            Last edited by tenniscoach1; 05-26-2023, 02:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by stroke View Post
              It is very difficult to find a great Risk Manager nowadays it seems.
              Unlike many … I pay each month instead of viewing the cloned dark web version of the site and using the telegram email bot group that posts every article over the chat group. Not only is a risk manager needed here - but, a Privacy Manager is needed as well. One of the first thing a privacy manager can do is work hand in hand with the coding team and risk management to eliminate the many back doors on this site - a great idea would be a bug bounty program that offer monetary rewards to ethical hackers for who report the bugs/vulnerabilities in this system. This site has great potential with a few million in investment, buying other companies to merge it with and offering more in depth programming, up-selling, lead generation, training, marketing, TikTok and Instagram.
              Last edited by tenniscoach1; 05-26-2023, 02:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tenniscoach1 View Post

Generally I just show someone the door when they start giving suggestions on how to run things, arguing with my big studs and alpha males who are achieving results or being tattletale’s. Nothing wrong with the group getting political and personal: you get better when you know where everyone stands. The best posters on this board have traditionally been the most political and personal … and, that edge makes everyone better. Best way to handle problems as a coach or manager is to let the room handle it, step back and give your studs runway. A guy like Steve understands this having played baseball and working in real organizations where men act like men and the ladies hold it all together day in and day out by moving mountains.
                This is, of course, very true. Freedom of speech is a very important aspect of any meaningful discussion. The discussions on the forum are rather mundane now. Much of the reason is due to lack of interest and there really isn't anything interesting to discuss since Roger Federer left the stadium. Much as I suggested so many times in this very thread...the air was sucked out of the balloon. The forum is reduced to a very few posters who have limited experience in tennis and the insights are surface and shallow. It was actually a better place when there was real diversity in multiple strong personalities. GeoffWilliams, bottle, 10splayer, tennis_chiro. Even stotty when he was licensedcoach...before he "changed". klacr, lobanddropshot and Phil a couple of others. There were a bunch of great characters...including hockeyscout.

When you have such strict boundaries and the threat of expulsion if you don't comply you dumb it down. Politics and personal stuff is always mixed up in any interesting subject. You cannot expect to weed it completely out and maintain any interest save for the go alongs to get along. All the liking and licking gets a bit boring. Tennis is dumbed down as a matter of fact. Modern tennis views the dropshot as a watershed moment...for example. It has the possibility of breaking up another mind numbing backcourt rally. But the straw that breaks the camel's back here came in the form of a poster who had written a total of four posts and he was calling me out over some hypersensitive moment he was having. All of a sudden I was warned that I had two strikes against me and I wasn't aware of the first one.

The monthly articles have maintained a consistent level of interest. My point about the forum still stands. It doesn't matter if you agree or not. You are entitled to think and decide for yourself. All things must pass and it appears that is what happened to the forum.
                don_budge
                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Hey, I have already pleaded with JY to resurrect the "New Years Serve" thread. What else can one do.

Comment

this is, of course, very true. Freedom of speech is a very important aspect of any meaningful discussion. The discussions on the forum are rather mundane now. Much of the reason is due to lack of interest and there really isn't anything interesting to discuss since roger federer left the stadium. Much as i suggested so many times in this very thread...the air was sucked out of the balloon. The forum is reduced to a very few posters who have limited experience in tennis and the insights are surface and shallow. It was actually a better place when there was real diversity in multiple strong personalities. Geoffwilliams, bottle, 10splayer, tennis_chiro. Even stotty when he was licensedcoach...before he "changed". Klacr, lobanddropshot and phil a couple of others. There were a bunch of great characters...including hockeyscout. When you have such strict boundaries and the threat of expulsion if you don't comply you dumb it down. Politics and personal stuff is always mixed up in any interesting subject. You cannot expect to weed it completely out and maintain any interest save for the go alongs to get along. All the liking and licking gets a bit boring. Tennis is dumbed down as a matter of fact. Modern tennis views the dropshot as a watershed moment...for example. It has the possibility of breaking up another mind numbing backcourt rally. But the straw that breaks the camel's back here came in the form of a poster who had written a total of four posts and he was calling me out over some hypersensitive moment he was having. All of a sudden i was warned that i had two strikes against me and i wasn't aware of the first one. The monthly articles have maintained a consistent level of interest. My point about the forum still stands. It doesn't matter if you agree or not. You are entitled to think and decide for yourself. All things must pass and it appears that is what happened to the forum.
                    Some very good points here.

Comment

Nothing wrong with the group getting political and personal
                      Last I checked this is a tennis magazine website. As a new subscriber I would seriously wonder what I signed up for if I went to the forum and saw a bunch of political rants that had absolutely nothing to do with tennis. Why would John pay for server space to host political discussions? Can't we just let tennisplayer stick to the one, and only one, group it is meant for - people who love the sport of tennis?

Comment

• Originally posted by jeffreycounts View Post

Last I checked this is a tennis magazine website. As a new subscriber I would seriously wonder what I signed up for if I went to the forum and saw a bunch of political rants that had absolutely nothing to do with tennis. Why would John pay for server space to host political discussions? Can't we just let tennisplayer stick to the one, and only one, group it is meant for - people who love the sport of tennis?

In a realm where minds converge, let us tennis player dot netters … ponder, Engage in discussions of politics and philosophy, we shall wander. For in these dialogues, knowledge does arise, With diverse souls, a tapestry of personalities and ties. Oh, American tennis leaders, wise voices of yore, They too recognized the value of this intellectual lore. "Let the discourse flourish, let freedom reign," They proclaimed, urging minds to break their chain. There is more to life than a game of tennis, Let us delve into realms beyond this earthly canvas." With backgrounds varied and spirits unrestrained, We shall embrace the harmony of thoughts unrestrained.

Like the beavers upon Don Budge's estate, Let us run free, unrestricted, as ideas escalate. No need for rules to bind our curious minds, For intellectual exploration, the soul truly finds.

Just some of my thoughts.

Comment

• Originally posted by jeffreycounts View Post
                          This is one scary post...but not surprising. An employee coming on strong to drive the point home. In and of itself...a tremendously political statement. It is misleading and an exaggeration of anything that I have been aware of on this forum for the past twelve years or so. Political rants that have absolutely nothing to do with tennis? Recently two subjects that actually did and do effect tennis were Russia/Ukraine and the COVID issues. Posters were allowed to post to their hearts content until a voice appeared that didn't agree with the herd. Then it was time to shut down the conversation. That's ok...we all know the score. Don't we? Stick to the one and only group...people who love the sport of tennis? Laughable. Can you imagine in all the world that there is one and only one type of person who loves the sport of tennis? This is scary talk...it brings to mind the Orwell quote about "imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever". But again...quite ok. It is only important to know the score. John is not paying for a server to host political discussions and his customers have been well served. This conversation took on the feel of a hallucination. The forum is surreal now...the forces are aligning. Quite ok...it leaves out the dissenting voice. That is the score.

The reality is quite a different one and it is important that it doesn't get lost in the hyperbole of late. John Yandell has a tremendous product that he sells to subscribers. I have been a participating member for going on fourteen years as it is. The consistency of the monthly magazine has a very high standard and the magazine has never failed to deliver. This is the one thing that I do not want to get lost in this conversation. I have a lot of respect for John as a business man in delivering value for the cost of admission. The website also provided me a place to develop my writing skills and I took full advantage of the opportunity and trust me...I had a lot of fun doing it. For this I will always be personally thankful for tennisplayer.net. I will always love this place.

The forum is a thing of the past now. There is a new philosophy in place and it addresses the three of four individuals that are currently posting. It suits them well as they seem to agree with each other and like each other to a degree I find to be rather...boring. This is another case of tennis metaphoring life. The tennis is incredibly boring now as well. Much will be made of trying to inject something into the current Grand Slam being played at Roland Garros. But the reality is the French Open is one of the most boring displays of tennis that there is and without Roger Federer and to an infinitely lesser degree, Rafael Nadal, any luster of the tournament is gone. I know this for a fact as one day in 2015 I sat through two matches on the center court and I needed five or six cups of French coffee to stay awake. It is a snooze fest. If you don't believe me...go there and write to us about your experience. Three out of five on the dirt with a draw of 128 of cookie cutter players. Try to dress it up. It cannot be done. It has always been this way too.

Originally posted by tenniscoach1 View Post
                          In a realm where minds converge, let us tennis player dot netters … ponder, Engage in discussions of politics and philosophy, we shall wander. For in these dialogues, knowledge does arise, With diverse souls, a tapestry of personalities and ties. Oh, American tennis leaders, wise voices of yore, They too recognized the value of this intellectual lore. "Let the discourse flourish, let freedom reign," They proclaimed, urging minds to break their chain. There is more to life than a game of tennis, Let us delve into realms beyond this earthly canvas." With backgrounds varied and spirits unrestrained, We shall embrace the harmony of thoughts unrestrained.

Like the beavers upon Don Budge's estate, Let us run free, unrestricted, as ideas escalate. No need for rules to bind our curious minds, For intellectual exploration, the soul truly finds.

Just some of my thoughts.

The ultimate irony is that diversity is actually frowned upon here at TP.net now. The cry for the crowd is for DIVERSITY these days. But in the end...just another metaphor. So just beware and forewarned...be careful for what you wish for because you just might get it. I agree with tenniscoach1's beautiful post. But I also agree that jeffreycount also has the right to express his opinion. I just used the word "agree" twice...and you know that I never do that.
                          don_budge

Comment

This is one scary post...but not surprising. An employee coming on strong to drive the point home. In and of itself...a tremendously political statement. It is misleading and an exaggeration of anything that I have been aware of on this forum for the past twelve years or so. Political rants that have absolutely nothing to do with tennis? Recently two subjects that actually did and do effect tennis were Russia/Ukraine and the COVID issues. Posters were allowed to post to their hearts content until a voice appeared that didn't agree with the herd. Then it was time to shut down the conversation. That's ok...we all know the score. Don't we? Stick to the one and only group...people who love the sport of tennis? Laughable. Can you imagine in all the world that there is one and only one type of person who loves the sport of tennis? This is scary talk...it brings to mind the Orwell quote about "imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever". But again...quite ok. It is only important to know the score. John is not paying for a server to host political discussions and his customers have been well served. This conversation took on the feel of a hallucination. The forum is surreal now...the forces are aligning. Quite ok...it leaves out the dissenting voice. That is the score.

The reality is quite a different one and it is important that it doesn't get lost in the hyperbole of late. John Yandell has a tremendous product that he sells to subscribers. I have been a participating member for going on fourteen years as it is. The consistency of the monthly magazine has a very high standard and the magazine has never failed to deliver. This is the one thing that I do not want to get lost in this conversation. I have a lot of respect for John as a business man in delivering value for the cost of admission. The website also provided me a place to develop my writing skills and I took full advantage of the opportunity and trust me...I had a lot of fun doing it. For this I will always be personally thankful for tennisplayer.net. I will always love this place.

The forum is a thing of the past now. There is a new philosophy in place and it addresses the three of four individuals that are currently posting. It suits them well as they seem to agree with each other and like each other to a degree I find to be rather...boring. This is another case of tennis metaphoring life. The tennis is incredibly boring now as well. Much will be made of trying to inject something into the current Grand Slam being played at Roland Garros. But the reality is the French Open is one of the most boring displays of tennis that there is and without Roger Federer and to an infinitely lesser degree, Rafael Nadal, any luster of the tournament is gone. I know this for a fact as one day in 2015 I sat through two matches on the center court and I needed five or six cups of French coffee to stay awake. It is a snooze fest. If you don't believe me...go there and write to us about your experience. Three out of five on the dirt with a draw of 128 of cookie cutter players. Try to dress it up. It cannot be done. It has always been this way too.

The ultimate irony is that diversity is actually frowned upon here at TP.net now. The cry for the crowd is for DIVERSITY these days. But in the end...just another metaphor. So just beware and forewarned...be careful for what you wish for because you just might get it. I agree with tenniscoach1's beautiful post. But I also agree that jeffreycount also has the right to express his opinion. I just used the word "agree" twice...and you know that I never do that.
                            Well said. The US elections posts were a lot of fun.

Comment

Well said. The US elections posts were a lot of fun.
                              Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                              Perhaps a tad early…but with so little happening on the forum as of late.

The official source for the latest news from the ATP Tour and the world of men's professional tennis.

Milos Raonic has announced that he will miss this year's French Open Championships. I saw him play Novak Djokovic in the quarterfinal's last year at Roland Garros. The match itself was very expensive to see…and very, very boring. Between this match and one that featured Maria Sharapova I needed five or six cups of strong coffee to stay awake. Seriously…I was nodding off. Going to sleep with rabid Canadian fans on the right of "The Ugly American" and a beautiful Russian woman on my left…with whom I engaged in some rather interesting conversation. You know…Putin, Obama, Sharapova and her daughters tennis development. That sort of thing. It was an interesting experience…but the tennis was numbing.

But Milos has succumbed to a condition that sort of drove me out of tennis and bothered me immensely when I embarked upon my golfing career. He had a "Morten's Neuroma" in his foot. Apparently he has had surgery for this condition and I find it very interesting that it is taking him longer than he thought it would to recover from it.

When I first went to my doctor in Dearborn, Michigan about this condition at the Henry Ford Medical Center he told me that my options were a foot pad, then cortisone treatment and finally surgery if neither of the first two worked. I sort of scoffed at the idea of the foot pad. I looked at my doctor and sort of said to him…I don't think you understand how badly this thing hurts. It was excruciating. It felt as if there was a red hot poker penetrating the joint of my "ring toe" on my right foot. The cortisone idea wasn't so completely out of the question but the surgery that he mentioned came with the possibility of leaving part of my foot numb as the condition is a nerve condition.

I opted for none of the above and instead went over the bridge to Windsor, Canada to see an acupuncture guy that my old friend Leon referred me to. A Korean fellow as I recall. He had me strip down to my underwear and gave me the eyeball exam…sort of looking at me as the little old Japanese guy in "The Karate Kid" movie might mysteriously look at one. As if he were personally observing all of the meridians of energy in my body. Then it was needle time and I laid down on his table bed and he inserted some very thin needles in various points of my body to get the flow of "Chi" going properly. He attached a wire with a small alligator clip to each needle that was attached to some kind of battery device that gave the needles some electric current. He adjusted to current to my comfort zone. Then he had me turn over and he repeated the procedure with needles on my other side. When he took each of the needles out he put some heat on each point with something burning or smouldering that smelled like some sort of strong herb.

It seems to me that after two treatments the condition never returned to me…to this very day. After that experience I would return to "Dr. Needles" whenever some sort of ailment or sports like injury would bother me. Tendenitis here or there…hip injury. Back problems. Quitting smoking. I used to make a list before I went to him like a grocery list. He never failed to cure what was ailing me. I was paying him fifty dollars per treatment out of my pocket as opposed to going to the Henry Ford Medical Center for free as part of my health coverage from work.

After the acupuncture treatments I would walk out of his office feeling like I was glowing. It seemed that my awareness was so heightened that I could read everybody's mind on the street. It used to occur to me to go to him once a week just for maintenance…I would have if he had been around the corner or in the neighbourhood. Needless to say…I considered this guy to be a miracle worker. The last I heard was that he had come down with an inoperable brain tumor himself. Apparently something that even his needles couldn't overcome.

I wonder of Milos ever tried the acupuncture route.

​It's not always about tennis. This was my intro post to the 2015 French Open thread which I hosted. The Russian woman on my left and the Ugly American on my right. A memory etched in time. It was the 2014 French Open that I attended. Tennis is the beginning much of the time. The beauty of the sport is the international aspect of it. Carry your tennis racquet anywhere in the world and it opens doors. It might be a conversation. A job interview. A date. Whatever...it is not always the end, but the means to an end. Bob Brett once told me..."it's only a hobby to me". We had a great conversation on the sidelines of the Swedish Tennis Federation symposium. We talked tennis and then the conversation morphed. As it usually does.
                              don_budge

Comment

​It's not always about tennis. This was my intro post to the 2015 French Open thread which I hosted. The Russian woman on my left and the Ugly American on my right. A memory etched in time. It was the 2014 French Open that I attended. Tennis is the beginning much of the time. The beauty of the sport is the international aspect of it. Carry your tennis racquet anywhere in the world and it opens doors. It might be a conversation. A job interview. A date. Whatever...it is not always the end, but the means to an end. Bob Brett once told me..."it's only a hobby to me". We had a great conversation on the sidelines of the Swedish Tennis Federation symposium. We talked tennis and then the conversation morphed. As it usually does.
                                It's funny how it works that way doesn't it?

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2939 users online. 4 members and 2935 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X