2015 French Open…ATP 2000...Roland Garros, Paris, France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 French Open…ATP 2000...Roland Garros, Paris, France

Perhaps a tad early…but with so little happening on the forum as of late.

The official source for the latest news from the ATP Tour and the world of men's professional tennis.

Milos Raonic has announced that he will miss this year's French Open Championships. I saw him play Novak Djokovic in the quarterfinal's last year at Roland Garros. The match itself was very expensive to see…and very, very boring. Between this match and one that featured Maria Sharapova I needed five or six cups of strong coffee to stay awake. Seriously…I was nodding off. Going to sleep with rabid Canadian fans on the right of "The Ugly American" and a beautiful Russian woman on my left…with whom I engaged in some rather interesting conversation. You know…Putin, Obama, Sharapova and her daughters tennis development. That sort of thing. It was an interesting experience…but the tennis was numbing.

But Milos has succumbed to a condition that sort of drove me out of tennis and bothered me immensely when I embarked upon my golfing career. He had a "Morten's Neuroma" in his foot. Apparently he has had surgery for this condition and I find it very interesting that it is taking him longer than he thought it would to recover from it.

When I first went to my doctor in Dearborn, Michigan about this condition at the Henry Ford Medical Center he told me that my options were a foot pad, then cortisone treatment and finally surgery if neither of the first two worked. I sort of scoffed at the idea of the foot pad. I looked at my doctor and sort of said to him…I don't think you understand how badly this thing hurts. It was excruciating. It felt as if there was a red hot poker penetrating the joint of my "ring toe" on my right foot. The cortisone idea wasn't so completely out of the question but the surgery that he mentioned came with the possibility of leaving part of my foot numb as the condition is a nerve condition.

I opted for none of the above and instead went over the bridge to Windsor, Canada to see an acupuncture guy that my old friend Leon referred me to. A Korean fellow as I recall. He had me strip down to my underwear and gave me the eyeball exam…sort of looking at me as the little old Japanese guy in "The Karate Kid" movie might mysteriously look at one. As if he were personally observing all of the meridians of energy in my body. Then it was needle time and I laid down on his table bed and he inserted some very thin needles in various points of my body to get the flow of "Chi" going properly. He attached a wire with a small alligator clip to each needle that was attached to some kind of battery device that gave the needles some electric current. He adjusted to current to my comfort zone. Then he had me turn over and he repeated the procedure with needles on my other side. When he took each of the needles out he put some heat on each point with something burning or smouldering that smelled like some sort of strong herb.

It seems to me that after two treatments the condition never returned to me…to this very day. After that experience I would return to "Dr. Needles" whenever some sort of ailment or sports like injury would bother me. Tendenitis here or there…hip injury. Back problems. Quitting smoking. I used to make a list before I went to him like a grocery list. He never failed to cure what was ailing me. I was paying him fifty dollars per treatment out of my pocket as opposed to going to the Henry Ford Medical Center for free as part of my health coverage from work.

After the acupuncture treatments I would walk out of his office feeling like I was glowing. It seemed that my awareness was so heightened that I could read everybody's mind on the street. It used to occur to me to go to him once a week just for maintenance…I would have if he had been around the corner or in the neighbourhood. Needless to say…I considered this guy to be a miracle worker. The last I heard was that he had come down with an inoperable brain tumor himself. Apparently something that even his needles couldn't overcome.

I wonder of Milos ever tried the acupuncture route.
    Last edited by don_budge; 05-21-2015, 11:27 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

If Milos hasn't tried acupuncture yet, he probably will.

Tennis action will be upon us on the terre battue in Paris' 16th arrondissement.

Tomas Berdych with the #4 seed.
    The new big four: Djokovic, Federer, Murray, Berdych.

Hard to see anyone beating Djokovic other than an in-form Federer. Nadal as the #6 seed will have to face Djokovic in the quarters.

Here's a stat: Roger Federer is competing in his 62nd consecutive grand slam. That is a record that is growing after he surpassed Wayne Ferreira's 57 consecutive last year.
    Here are some other active iron men
    Feliciano Lopez (53)
    David Ferrer (50)
    Fernando Verdasco (48)
    Tomas Berdych (47)

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

The official source for the latest news from the ATP Tour and the world of men's professional tennis.

Milos Raonic has announced that he will miss this year's French Open Championships. I saw him play Novak Djokovic in the quarterfinal's last year at Roland Garros. The match itself was very expensive to see…and very, very boring. Between this match and one that featured Maria Sharapova I needed five or six cups of strong coffee to stay awake. Seriously…I was nodding off. Going to sleep with rabid Canadian fans on the right of "The Ugly American" and a beautiful Russian woman on my left…with whom I engaged in some rather interesting conversation. You know…Putin, Obama, Sharapova and her daughters tennis development. That sort of thing. It was an interesting experience…but the tennis was numbing.

But Milos has succumbed to a condition that sort of drove me out of tennis and bothered me immensely when I embarked upon my golfing career. He had a "Morten's Neuroma" in his foot. Apparently he has had surgery for this condition and I find it very interesting that it is taking him longer than he thought it would to recover from it.

When I first went to my doctor in Dearborn, Michigan about this condition at the Henry Ford Medical Center he told me that my options were a foot pad, then cortisone treatment and finally surgery if neither of the first two worked. I sort of scoffed at the idea of the foot pad. I looked at my doctor and sort of said to him…I don't think you understand how badly this thing hurts. It was excruciating. It felt as if there was a red hot poker penetrating the joint of my "ring toe" on my right foot. The cortisone idea wasn't so completely out of the question but the surgery that he mentioned came with the possibility of leaving part of my foot numb as the condition is a nerve condition.

I opted for none of the above and instead went over the bridge to Windsor, Canada to see an acupuncture guy that my old friend Leon referred me to. A Korean fellow as I recall. He had me strip down to my underwear and gave me the eyeball exam…sort of looking at me as the little old Japanese guy in "The Karate Kid" movie might mysteriously look at one. As if he were personally observing all of the meridians of energy in my body. Then it was needle time and I laid down on his table bed and he inserted some very thin needles in various points of my body to get the flow of "Chi" going properly. He attached a wire with a small alligator clip to each needle that was attached to some kind of battery device that gave the needles some electric current. He adjusted to current to my comfort zone. Then he had me turn over and he repeated the procedure with needles on my other side. When he took each of the needles out he put some heat on each point with something burning or smouldering that smelled like some sort of strong herb.

It seems to me that after two treatments the condition never returned to me…to this very day. After that experience I would return to "Dr. Needles" whenever some sort of ailment or sports like injury would bother me. Tendenitis here or there…hip injury. Back problems. Quitting smoking. I used to make a list before I went to him like a grocery list. He never failed to cure what was ailing me. I was paying him fifty dollars per treatment out of my pocket as opposed to going to the Henry Ford Medical Center for free as part of my health coverage from work.

After the acupuncture treatments I would walk out of his office feeling like I was glowing. It seemed that my awareness was so heightened that I could read everybody's mind on the street. It used to occur to me to go to him once a week just for maintenance…I would have if he had been around the corner or in the neighbourhood. Needless to say…I considered this guy to be a miracle worker. The last I heard was that he had come down with an inoperable brain tumor himself. Apparently something that even his needles couldn't overcome.

I wonder of Milos ever tried the acupuncture route.
      Fabulous, but what's this about nothing going on in the forum?

Comment

Djokovic and Nadal could meet in the last 8

Originally posted by bottle View Post
        Well it certainly ebbs and flows the forum, rather like life and tennis itself. We could do with another half a dozen single minded posters, but then we've been saying that for a long time.

Well, one half of the draw looks unnerving for those in it. I see Djokovic and Nadal are scheduled to meet each other in the quarters. Murray and Ferrer are also in that half. The other half of the draw has Federer and no one Federer can't take care of. Should be an interesting tournament for Federer fans.
        Last edited by stotty; 05-22-2015, 11:20 AM.
        Stotty

Comment

Much ado...

Originally posted by bottle View Post
          It was nothing.
          don_budge

Comment

Federer's draw...

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
            The other half of the draw has Federer and no one Federer can't take care of. Should be an interesting tournament for Federer fans.
            Let's hope so.
            don_budge

Comment

A Sunday start at the French Open. Kinda odd. So used to having tournaments begin on Monday. It bucks the tradition. Good news, we get to see Roger play.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Fedex and Stan the man win in straight sets! Off to a good start! Hopr Roger makes it to the final....

Comment

No surprises with 1st round matches so far. Although Feliciano Lopez lost today. That's a bummer. I know he has many fans on this forum (because of his sweet game and willingness to serve and volley) and he has many female fans because of his looks (or so I'm told)

Berdych had a nice warm-up session with a Japanese kid. A primer for what may await him in the quarterfinals, Kei Nishikori. But there is something special in Tomas' eyes this season. It is progress, not perfection. He knows he is on the cusp. The cusp of something great. But then again, aren't we all?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton
                  Last edited by klacr; 05-25-2015, 02:36 PM.

Comment

A Brit wins on clay

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                    No surprises...

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton
                    Brit player Kyle Edmund won his first round match against some guy I have never heard of. That was a surprise...a Brit winning on clay...seldom happens.
                    Stotty

Comment

Brit player Kyle Edmund won his first round match against some guy I have never heard of. That was a surprise...a Brit winning on clay...seldom happens.
                      must be the name...

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

Berdych and Edmund...

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                        Berdych had a nice warm-up session with a Japanese kid.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton
                        I caught bits of both of these matches…which I watched for all of five or ten minutes of each.

Berdych's opponent was…how should I put it…marginal. I was surprised to see a player of low caliber in the main draw of the French.

Kyle Edmund is a player that Stotty posted playing Stefan Koslov last year at Wimbledon. Or was it the year before? At any rate Edmund looks totally different and he seems to have matured quite a bit physically. At one point in the match…I believe that it was three sets into it Kyle had something like 17 forehand winners and 1 backhand winner. His opponent had 15 backhand winners and 1 forehand winner. Strange match. Again…marginal talents for such a high level tournament. Very one dimensional tennis devoid of any sort of tactical interest.
                        Last edited by don_budge; 05-25-2015, 10:35 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                        don_budge

Comment

The best match of the day to me is Dimitrov vs Sock. Sock''s forehand is probably the biggest shot on the court in this matchup. I could see either one of these guys advancing deep into the tournament.

Comment

Dimitrov Down...

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                            The best match of the day to me is Dimitrov vs Sock. Sock''s forehand is probably the biggest shot on the court in this matchup. I could see either one of these guys advancing deep into the tournament.
                            Quite a shock to see Dimitrov go down to Sock…or is it? Dimitrov seems to have lost some of that edge…as klacr noted a week or so ago.
                            don_budge

Comment

Quite a shock to see Dimitrov go down to Sock…or is it? Dimitrov seems to have lost some of that edge…as klacr noted a week or so ago.
                              I was not shocked. I think Sock's forehand is one of the best in tennis, behind only Nadal and Federer. I think Sock is a legitimate dark horse contender.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2774 users online. 5 members and 2769 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X