2015 French Open…ATP 2000...Roland Garros, Paris, France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday at the 2015 French Open…The Journey

Yesterday I watched a lot of different matches and it left me feeling tired like I have never felt tired before. Granted…I have not had a day off from the tennis court and the golf course in who knows how long. Granted…I have a four month old Chocolate Labrador Retriever named Puntzie who has been getting me up for the past two months between 3.30 AM and 4.30 AM. Usually it is 3.37 AM…it's amazing how many times I turn on my phone to see that time…it's when he gets the urge to get up and go outside. It's no accident. There are no accidents…are there?

But anyways working my way down the draw sheet that I have found on Wikipedia…I will never forgive the Roland Garros website for their ridiculous view of the actual draw sheet. Totally inefficient in the day of efficiency is King…it's inexcusable. Off with their heads. Anyways…here is a better view.

I watched Novak Djokovic take down Kokkinakis. One break each set...but it wasn't as close as that. Total control. Djokovic was in total control of the whole entire match. He let the kid into points just to show the tennis world how in control he is of everything that goes on when he is on the tennis court. He let's the game come to him…or he goes and seizes it by the throat…whatever he pleases. Mats Wilander asked Novak…what must I do if I am to beat you? Novak sort of chuckled and did a little shuck and jive…Serbian style of course…and he said that he doesn't feel that sort of control that people perceive in him. He has his element of doubt too…and I believe him. But the difference between him and the rest of the crew is that doubt only serves to make him play so much better. It's as if the doubt is the final piece of the puzzle for him…just enough to make him doubt himself just a tad before he slips into super cosmos drive. Nobody seems to be able to stay with him. Certainly not a teenager from Down Under.

I watched Richard Gasquet and Kevin Anderson and Richard certainly pleased the partisan Parisian crowd. They were oohing and awing at the Gasquet splendid one hand backhand…but you know…his forehand is nothing to sneeze at either. Richard will need the French crowd and so much more in his next match…against the Serbian Grim Reaper. Novak Djokovic. Jack Sock made hash of Borna Coric. The straight set score was indicative of the reality of the situation. Sock had Coric on his heels the whole match and it didn't look as if Coric had any answer or any weapons that could match the forehand of Jack Sock. stroke has been an admirer and he has posted early on about this "Sock it to 'em" forehand…John McEnroe paid homage to it as well yesterday on Game, Set and Mats…the Eurosport Sport channel sort of like the American ESPN. Without the hype.

I even turned on the Andrei Kuznetsov versus Fafa Nadal match. I have a funny feeling about things…and especially about Nadal. I'm not saying I am right but it's a funny feeling. It is almost as if we haven't seen the real Nadal for the past couple of months. It's all tied in with his frequent AWOL's from the tour. Whether it's drugging…just resting? Pacing himself? We'll never know. But wouldn't it be strange if he all of a sudden finds his form just in time to win French Open then we can witness all of his fake and pious humility. Speaking about fake and pious humility…I watched Serena Williams and Victoria Azarenka. I can honestly say that I have never seen a woman hit the ball as hard as Serena was hitting it yesterday. Azarenka was actually playing out of her mind as well but she couldn't match Williams in the strength department. Not even close.

I even saw bits and pieces of the following…Murray and Kyrgios, Goffin and Chardy, Cilic and Mayer and Bolelli and Ferrer. In short…I saw the whole enchilada. You know…the whole thing left me feeling extremely tired. Granted…it was the first day off that I had in some weeks. But the tiredness was almost other worldly. I guess a lot of it can be attributed to all of the things in my life that take their toll naturally on my life force…my energy. But the tennis was taxing. Need I say that the whole of it was so one dimensional that it was if every match was virtually indistinguishable from the other. Every single point was virtually indistinguishable from another. It cracks me up. Literally. It fractures me to pieces. This cannot be happening. You cannot be serious.

But trust me…none of it matters. Least of all my feelings or my perceptions about things. It is what it is. So utterly beyond my control…or even my understanding. How did it get to this? How did I know that it would back in 1980 when I first discovered the the fix was in? When I first saw the Prince Graphite…I screamed "they ruined the game!!!". 1984…the Orwellian year. The first year that all four semi-finalists at the U. S. Open used oversized racquets. If you count Lendl's as oversized. It's strange…you know. People are strange. The whole thing is so strange. When you are strange…when you are a stranger.

None of it matters though. The only thing that matters is Roger Federer. Yet even he is out there for the money…and for the thrill of being there. Nobody in their right mind gives him a chance to come away with another title. Another Grand Slam. No matter how it is tilted…he will have to contend with one of his younger adversaries…one of his nemesis with younger legs. But he is still in the game…he is set to play "The Amazing Mr. Monfils" a bit later today. Existential tennis. Parisian tennis. The home of the existentialist. The home of Ferdinand Celine.

There was a rain delay in Paris today. Everything was put on the shelf for a couple of hours. Did you know that Jim Morrison died in Paris? Supposedly so drunk that he choked to death on his own vomit. In a bath tub no less. So the story goes. So the legend goes. He wrote a song called "End of the Night" that was coined after the novel by Ferdinand Celine called "Journey to the End of the Night". The G. N. O. A. T.. The Greatest Novel Of All Time. How do I know that? Because I just said it.

Come on Roger. Come on "The Living Proof". Where there is Roger there is still tennis. Tennis exists. Even Santa exists if you believe in him. You can have the rest of it. After watching all of that tennis yesterday it felt like I had some kind of hangover. A real bummer of a hangover. Totally crapped out. Bummer. Bummed out. It was numbing…I remember being there a year ago. It was the same thing. Live…six cups of strong Parisian java just to stay conscious. Djokovic versus Raonic in the quarterfinals. Sharapova versus Garbine Muguruza in the women's quarters. Canadians to the right of the "Ugly American"…my buddy Greg. Russians to the left of me…still…I couldn't…stay…awake. ZZzzzzz….Ladies and Gentlemen…The Doors!!!

Last edited by don_budge; 05-31-2015, 08:47 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Jim Morrison had good references/allusions/Shakespearian lifts, didn't he? Far better than the hippie-dippies who danced to his music with me all night in Eastport, Maine and The University of Rhode Island, Kingston. The only other hippies I ever knew who were that knowledgeable were beatniks the decade before or Hungarian hippies three or four decades later. Ken Haferman from Minnesota who was in Eastport had actually roomed with Zimmerman I mean Bob Dylan in New Jersey just across Chris Christie's or is it George Washington's bridge? John Hickenlooper, the current governor of Colorado, was also down by Eastport. Everybody was downeast boogeying to The Doors.

"We want the world and we want it NOW!" That's not just any line. Morrison got it from the anti-leftist musical and theatrical satire and right wing Nazi screed MARAT-SADE. Or did the script writer of MARAT-SADE get it from Morrison?

One or the other.
      Last edited by bottle; 05-31-2015, 09:03 AM.

Comment

L. A. Woman…Berdych vs. Tsonga

Originally posted by bottle View Post
        Jim Morrison had good references/allusions/Shakespearian lifts, didn't he? Far better than the hippie-dippies who danced to his music with me all night in Eastport, Maine and The University of Rhode Island, Kingston. The only other hippies I ever knew who were that knowledgeable were beatniks before or Hungarian hippies about 30 years later. Ken Haferman from Minnesota who was in Eastport had actually roomed with Zimmerman I mean Bob Dylan in New Jersey just across the bridge. John Hickenlooper, the current governor of Colorado, was also downeast by Eastport. Everybody was down there boogeying to The Doors.

"We want the world and we want it NOW!" That's not just any line. Morrison got it from the anti-leftist musical and theatrical satire and right wing Nazi screed MARAT-SADE. Or did the script writer of MARAT-SADE get it from Morrison?

One or the other.
        I've been watching Berdych and Tsonga listening to L. A. Woman on repeat the whole match. Just killing time. Waiting for Roger Federer…and Gael Monfils.

"Cops sitting in cars
        The topless bars…"

don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

But anyways working my way down the draw sheet that I have found on Wikipedia…I will never forgive the Roland Garros website for their ridiculous view of the actual draw sheet. Totally inefficient in the day of efficiency is King…it's inexcusable. Off with their heads. Anyways…here is a better view.
          Click on the "Printable Version". It downloads so you can view it as a normal draw sheet...much better.

One set all with Federer and Monfils. This match is being played 300 miles from me as the crow flies. It doesn't go dark until 9pm at this time of year so I cannot understand why they have left the court when the sun is still so high in the sky...weird.

Anyway, at least I am getting the match I wanted. It's going to be a good old punch up this one. Monfils really feels he can win. I imagine Federer was happy to call it a night and resume tomorrow.
          Last edited by stotty; 05-31-2015, 10:43 AM.
          Stotty

Comment

It wasn't the light…it was the rain

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
            Click on the "Printable Version". It downloads so you can view it as a normal draw sheet...much better.

One set all with Federer and Monfils. This match is being played 300 miles from me as the crow flies. It doesn't go dark until 9pm at this time of year so I cannot understand why they have left the court when the sun is still so high in the sky...weird.

Anyway, at least I am getting the match I wanted. It's going to be a good old punch up this one. Monfils really feels he can win. I imagine Federer was happy to call it a night and resume tomorrow.
            They quit because of the weather forecast. It began to rain again 15 minutes after they stopped play. Both players agreed that it would be better to start at one set all than 2-1 or something like that.

I know this because I was watching "Game, Set and Mats" with Mats Wilander and Barbara Schett. They affirmed what had transpired. Great theatre…Federer vs. Monfils. Monfils is a real enigma.
            don_budge

Comment

Sock

I think Sock versus Nadal might be interesting. That Sock kid seems really highly charged right now. If Nadal really is off his best game, Sock could be guy to take advantage of it. I have a feeling he really wants it.
              Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                I've been watching Berdych and Tsonga listening to L. A. Woman on repeat the whole match. Just killing time. Waiting for Roger Federer…and Gael Monfils.

"Cops sitting in cars
                The topless bars…"

Great song. Lots we can learn from Jim Morrison.

Wish I could say the same for the match. Berdych squandered big opportunity. He knows it, admits it, accepts it. Time to get some prep for the grass. Berdych-Wimbledon Champ, I like the sound of that. But for the moment... Not a pleasant day in the LaCroix household.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Jack Sock and the 1968 Detroit Tigers…Sock it to 'em Jack!

I think Sock versus Nadal might be interesting. That Sock kid seems really highly charged right now. If Nadal really is off his best game, Sock could be guy to take advantage of it. I have a feeling he really wants it.
                  I think you might be right. What's more I'll bet that stroke is going to find this match up very interesting. I sure would love to hear what John McEnroe thinks about this one.

Jock Sock's forehand is certainly his most obvious weapon but his backhand seemed to be rock solid as well. An important factor in going up against the Spaniard. But if Sock is able to get the game played on his terms…Nadal has definitely shown vulnerability on his backhand side. The vulnerability becomes a bit more glaring when players are able to attack his forehand side to get him leaning more to his left and not allowing him to camp out on the right side of the court.

Sock is hungry. His steady climb up the ladder indicated that his is no flash in the pan. His method of playing tennis is a combination of grinding down his opponents with stiff body shots…softening them up for the knockout blows. Two years ago he was ranked #118 and one year ago he was at #75. At 22 years old he is currently at #37 and he has positioned himself on some prime real estate. His future looks rather bright if he can continue to develop.

A hungry American is one of the things that American tennis needs most. A corn fed boy from Lincoln, Nebraska makes a great story. A victory over Nadal today would also make a great story. I'm behind him all the way. Sock it to 'em. That used to be the mantra for one of the Detroit Tiger teams of the past. One of the World Series winners. Was it 1984? There's that year again.

Oops…actually it was 1968. The year that tennis went open. The year that I first played tennis. The year that the club I work at was founded. These were golden years in sports. These were the day when a kid growing up in America could "safely" worship the ground these guys walked on. Al Kaline, the Tiger's right fielder who had an gun for an arm, turned down a 100,000 dollar contract because he didn't want to upstage his teammates…or his manager.

don_budge

Comment

Back story on Jack Sock

The back story on Jack Sock is about his brother. He just recently survived a two week stay in the hospital where he nearly died and Jack went through that with his whole family including being bedside in that hospital. That kind of experience can have a profound influence on the approach you take to playing a tennis match. You stop being so upset about inconsequential annoyances that may have really thrown you off track in the past. Sock has had that big forehand and serve for a while, but he's always gotten in his own way at just the wrong time. He doesn't seem to be doing that anymore and his recent experience with his brother's brush with death has a lot to do with that.

He says he respects and appreciates the wonderful opportunity he has to make a living as a tennis player. I think this is more than just some nice lip service he is paying to the image gods. I think he has experienced major fundamental growth and while I still see a lot of holes in his game, he definitely has some major weapons and if he can muster the necessary focus and consistency, he could be dangerous to anyone. He's not the same person or player he was just 6 months ago.

don

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

I am really looking forward to Sock vs Nadal. I did mention earlier that I thought Sock already had the 3rd best forehand in tennis, behind Nadal and Federer. Sock has the same game plan as Nadal. See how many forehands he can hit and just break them down. What a test for the Sock forehand, Nadal on clay. Fed sure looked, good, not much from Monfils

Comment

Come on Sock

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                          I am really looking forward to Sock vs Nadal. I did mention earlier that I thought Sock already had the 3rd best forehand in tennis, behind Nadal and Federer. Sock has the same game plan as Nadal. See how many forehands he can hit and just break them down. What a test for the Sock forehand, Nadal on clay. Fed sure looked, good, not much from Monfils
                          I'm looking forward to watching Sock. I am hoping Nadal will be a little off. The problem is I am not sure you can play Nadal without a top of the range backhand, which Sock doesn't have. You need a backhand like Murray and Djokovic to be in with a shout...let's see. I really, really hope Sock plays well.
                          Stotty

Comment

I think you are probably right. Another unique advantage Nadal has on his forehand is how he attacks the outside edge of the ball so much on his forehand, producing that hook type spin, making the backhand attack even more pronounced. He can just expand the court like no one else.

Comment

I saw only the first two sets of Sock. He was getting clobbered when I left. I just felt if he could direct his forehand a little better he might start making a dent. Nadal's forehand was the more effective. He directs it so well and makes it awkward for players. I found Sock enjoyable to watch. He's got something about him. I find his serve odd. The start looks so contorted.

You just get the feeling there is only one player in the draw who can stop Nadal...Djokovic. Nishikori might also be able to do it if he plays freely and well and doesn't put too much pressure on himself. A player has to have an exceptional backhand to have any chance whatsoever. Nishikori might just steal in and surprise us all.

Federer owns every player in his half of the draw...except Nishikori. He has played Wawrinka 18 times and lost only twice. If he plays well and holds his nerve, he should win to play either Tsonga or Nishikori. But let's not get ahead...one step at a time...one match at a time.
                              Last edited by stotty; 06-01-2015, 11:19 AM.
                              Stotty

Comment

The quarterfinals…2015 French Open, Roland Garros, Paris, France

What an incredible chance Federer has this year. The other big three are going to have to knock each other out for a place in the final. Federer must be licking his lips at the thought of one big match to take the title...or am I getting ahead of myself...it just seems so doable.

The one big threat to Federer is Monfils on a good day, but Monfils has just gone into the 5th set as I write. You don't want too many (if any) five setters at Roland Garros...just too taxing.
                                That's right buddy…one step at a time. Go real slow. You like it more and more. We got the match we wanted and Roger took care of his business. He's got his teeth into the tournament and his Davis Cup and fellow Swiss is next up. 16 and 2 against Wawrinka? It may as be 0 and 0. It's the beginning…it's the end. Thanks for the tip about the printable version of the draw. That other was really pissing me off! You cannot be serious!

Novak Djokovic vs. Rafael Nadal…Novak hits hard to the Nadal forehand to prevent him from camping out on the backhand side. Then he starts to attack the backhand. Then he is slapping the Spaniard around the court…both sides now.

Andy Murray vs. David Ferrer…Edge to Murray. Only because he has a snowball's chance in hell of beating Djokovic whereas Ferrer has none.

Kei Nishikori vs. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga…Tsonga pretty impressive so far. Except for his helicopter victory laps. Between Tsonga and Monfils…there is some rather interesting stories behind these two guys. I'm sure. Talented black guys in France. They have big time immigration problems just as the rest of Europe does. Boat people.

Stan Wawrinka vs. Roger Federer…My God! Nothing needs to be said. "The Federer Mistake"…Federer BH vs. Wawrinka BH. Take your pick. I'm picking Roger.

Last year I was sitting in this cafe in Paris at this time and this beautiful woman and her man were eating next to the Ugly American and I. This Dutch dude was at our table too. He had ridden down to Paris from Amsterdam on the same train as us and was staying at the same hotel as we were. It was right down the street from the Arc d'Triumph. Somehow he ended up in the room that we originally were going to stay in. Instead we got a balcony view of the Arc…down the Champs Elysses. Still…somehow our journeys were connected.

Experience unforgettable tours and excursions to iconic destinations worldwide with Gray Line. See our tours and book your adventure today.

The little cafe was Italian cuisine. The beautiful woman was of Italian descent. She was friends with the owners of the cafe. Her man was a passionate tennis person…my buddy and I had been to Roland Garros during the day. He didn't seem to mind in the least that his beautiful companion was totally engaging with me. He seemed to be sympathetic. I told him about the old guy twirling the wooden tennis racquet on the Roland Garros grounds. I introduced myself as don_budge, an American transplanted in Sweden. I'd seen her walking down the street and she said she had seen me too, we started discussing George Orwell, tennis and over-sized racquets, immigration in Europe, political correctness, love and life…you know, typical conversation for a Paris cafe. The Parisian hour. In the middle of our conversation three machine gun armed soldiers walked right by us. I was like…what the fuck?

"Well", they said…"there have been problems in Paris." Several months later…well you know the rest.

Last edited by don_budge; 06-02-2015, 02:26 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7964 users online. 6 members and 7958 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X