Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunger Games

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    Quite a shock to see Dimitrov go down to Sock…or is it? Dimitrov seems to have lost some of that edge…as klacr noted a week or so ago.
    Dimitrov has to do some soul searching. He has points to defend at Wimbledon next month as he was a semifinalist last year.

I like Dimitrov. I like when he does well. It's good for tennis when he does well. But he is being treated by his mgmt company like a star without having done the legwork. He gets same perks as Federer. private jets, entire hotel room floors booked for him etc. Problem is, He has 17 less grand slams and 23 or so less masters series titles than Federer. So when he's not being treated like Federer on tour, he gets the star treatment being with Sharapova, who, love her or hate her, has earned what she has and all the perks that go with it. It is a hunger issue for Dimitrov. Is he content with his current lifestyle, who wouldn't be. But where is that carrot dangling in front of him? It's no longer there. Grand slams or not, he's living like he's already won many. If he is hungry, it needs to show up fast.

"Straddle the line in discord and rhyme I'm on the hunt I'm after you..."

"In touch with the ground I'm on the hunt I'm after you, scent and a sound I'm lost and I'm found and I'm..."

Hungry...like...the...
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oOg5VxrRTi0

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Last edited by klacr; 05-26-2015, 06:32 PM.

Comment

The Clone…and The Real Thing

Originally posted by klacr View Post
      Dimitrov has to do some soul searching. He has points to defend at Wimbledon next month as he was a semifinalist last year.

I like Dimitrov. I like when he does well. It's good for tennis when he does well. But he is being treated by his mgmt company like a star without having done the legwork. He gets same perks as Federer. private jets, entire hotel room floors booked for him etc. Problem is, He has 17 less grand slams and 23 or so less masters series titles than Federer. So when he's not being treated like Federer on tour, he gets the star treatment being with Sharapova, who, love her or hate her, has earned what she has and all the perks that go with it. It is a hunger issue for Dimitrov. Is he content with his current lifestyle, who wouldn't be. But where is that carrot dangling in front of him? It's no longer there. Grand slams or not, he's living like he's already won many. If he is hungry, it needs to show up fast.

"Straddle the line in discord and rhyme I'm on the hunt I'm after you..."

"In touch with the ground I'm on the hunt I'm after you, scent and a sound I'm lost and I'm found and I'm..."

Hungry...like...the...
      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oOg5VxrRTi0

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton
      Originally posted by stroke View Post
      I was not shocked. I think Sock's forehand is one of the best in tennis, behind only Nadal and Federer. I think Sock is a legitimate dark horse contender.
      Grigor Dimitrov is merely a copycat and he doesn't appreciate being called "Baby Fed". How about "Federer Light"? He's a clone. He's a great player…don't get me wrong and his style is one of the nicest on the tour. Why not? He copied the "Living Proof". But does he have the substance…that intangible quality. Is he hungry enough to eat his way to the top of the food chain of the professional tennis tour? It's sort of tough to keep that hungry feeling when you are being catered to as klacr describes. As Rick Macci barks at his 12 year old protege…or was she 8 at the time? Or 3 years old? What's in your chest? What do you got Grigor? Playboy or Player?

But now we have a question about Jack Sock who has been showing signs of heart and grit as of late. Actually in a steady…but hardly flashy ascent up the food chain. stoke's a fan…or rather an astute tennis mind in his corner. He's a belieber. Sock has caught my eye the past few months and trust me…he isn't much to look at from an aesthetics point of view. To be honest his style is horrible and hard to watch. To my eye…it's ugly. But he's seems to be hungry.

But as we all know it isn't about style points. It's about getting the job done. Modern tennis, being what it is nowadays, doesn't put a premium on beauty or artistic expression. It's all about shock and awe…and being superior in that sense.

But speaking about "The Real Thing"…Roger Federer takes to the courts today against arguably one of the uglier serving motions on the tour. Marcel Granoliers…is it quirky or is it unorthodox? I am going out on a limb and saying it is unorthodox knowing full well that the good old English professor is going to lambaste me for the use of that term much as he chides me for my lack of grammar. But Roger has a truly phenomenal draw and let's hope that he can go deep and win the damn thing. Let Jerkavic punch himself out against the likes of Nadal et al in the top half and our boy…our once and Future King can cruise. Cruise control. It's all about Roger. It's only about Roger. Keep those pesky kids and their stupid "selfies" away from him. Jesus…more annoying than autograph hunters. I am only surprised that more "fans" don't get a punch in the kisser. Hey Mac!

Another thing that I find really annoying is the Roland Garros French Open website presentation of the draw. Kindly tell me who the retard is that decided that it would be fun to show two or three matches of the draw sheet while forcing you to scroll down to see the whole enchilada. Instead of showing it like the ATP website always presents it. Off with his head…I say. As the French like to say. Stupid artists! Let him eat cake if he wants. In a word…stupid. Again…I am going out on a limb. Somebody has to do it these days. Otherwise…it will be Hillary for President. That will definitely be Hilarious…but on the other hand no laughing matter.
      Last edited by don_budge; 05-27-2015, 12:16 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

DB mentioned Granollers quirky serve motion. I was watching some obscure match involving him on TC one time and the announcer mentioned that the root cause for his motion was some kind of physical issue/problem he has that prevents him from completely straightening out his right arm. Who knows? Regarding Sock's forehand, a lot of announcers like to compare it to Nadal, but to me it reminds me of retired player Igor Andreev, with a more dynaminc flip.

Comment

Federer has never had a better chance...

What an incredible chance Federer has this year. The other big three are going to have to knock each other out for a place in the final. Federer must be licking his lips at the thought of one big match to take the title...or am I getting ahead of myself...it just seems so doable.

The one big threat to Federer is Monfils on a good day, but Monfils has just gone into the 5th set as I write. You don't want too many (if any) five setters at Roland Garros...just too taxing.
          Stotty

Comment

Good to see Monfils prevailed in the fifth. It's always an entertaining match when Monfils and Federer play. I hope it comes about.
            Stotty

Comment

The "Luck of the Draw" and John McEnroe

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
              What an incredible chance Federer has this year. The other big three are going to have to knock each other out for a place in the final. Federer must be licking his lips at the thought of one big match to take the title...or am I getting ahead of myself...it just seems so doable.

The one big threat to Federer is Monfils on a good day, but Monfils has just gone into the 5th set as I write. You don't want too many (if any) five setters at Roland Garros...just too taxing.
              You are absolutely right about the luck of Federer's draw. Conspiracy theorists around the tennis world are all wondering how in the world this draw could have been randomly drawn. True… the biggest names in the game are all in the top half but as good as Roger's draw is I hope that he isn't taking anything for granted. I am certain that he isn't but he is licking his lips as you suggest. It certainly looks doable to get to the finals at least…where he can go for broke for one last fling. The match up with Gael Monfils would rank really high in terms of potential drama…let's see how this thing unfolds.

I caught a bit of the match against Marcel Granoliers. John McEnroe was in the announcers booth which is like a breath of fresh air. His grasp of the game and the business is superb and the way that he articulates himself is one of a kind. His comments seem to be just a bit dumbed down however as even he must pay homage to the master…and be careful not to bite the hand that feeds him.

When listening to a match where McEnroe is commentating you don't have to wait very long until you get some insight out of the ordinary. He made eight or nine comments during the time that I watched him that seemed to be a bit out of the ordinary. Out of the ordinary in the sense that the other commentators are gushing over the simplest of shot with accolades of astonishment and sheer wonder. But in the fifteen minutes or so that I was able to watch Federer take the "unorthodox" one apart McEnroe said something that I found almost inexcusable…and I would have loved to taken him to task on it.

The other dummy in the booth was talking about Federer moving to the net and playing the forecourt. He was gushing and making almost sucking sounds in his admiration but then he turned around and was seeking validation from John. He asked John…what percentage of players on the tour feel comfortable going forwards to the net on a regular basis and McEnroe astonished me with his answer. He said that one in four were capable of or comfortable going to the net.

This was an outright boldfaced lie as far as I am concerned and I think I know why he said that. How would it sound if he actually told the truth and said that virtually none of the modern day players felt comfortable going to the net. How would that sound to an even dumbed down tennis public and audience. Could McEnroe have been biting his tongue and later scolding himself for not having the balls to say the truth? It was a strange moment. But when you think about it nowadays it is only par for the course.

Telling the truth in times of mass deceit is a revolutionary act in itself.
              don_budge

Comment

A bit dull as yet...

Strange match between Federer and Dzu..whatever his name is. Dzu stands 20 feet behind the baseline yet still doesn't make too many returns in. Federer actually switched off and looked bored at times. He is in a different league to players like this even playing at 80%. You feel like he could still be winning matches like this when he turns 50.

It really is a dream draw. I hope Monfils gets through and makes a game of it. There will be a real atmosphere in the stadium for that one. Not too much happening in the tournament so far. It all feels a bit flat. It might be more interesting if the cameras switched away from the big four and focused on some of the hard fought games on the outside courts.
                Stotty

Comment

He draw is only easier relative to other side of the draw. But, looking at it, it's not an easy draw.
                  Last edited by lobndropshot; 05-29-2015, 08:58 AM. Reason: being sensitive to pet peevs

Comment

Originally posted by lobndropshot View Post
                    He draw is only easier relative to other side of the draw. But, looking at it is not an easy draw.
                    So true

Comment

Winning matches at world class level is never easy. It was perhaps clumsy of me to suggest it was, so let me put it another way...more accurately.

Federer has won all his matches in straight sets so far, losing an average of ten games per match. Of those left in the draw Federer has a considerable head to head record against, Nishikori excepted (though Federer leads him 3-2).

From Federer's standpoint his draw couldn't have been better. All the players that have a favourable record against him are in the other half of the draw. Of course, he can still screw up...even Djokovic can, but he will never have a better chance to pull off the unexpected as this year. That's what I meant to say.
                      Stotty

Comment

Very well worded Sir!

Comment

Winning matches at world class level is never easy. It was perhaps clumsy of me to suggest it was, so let me put it another way...more accurately.

Federer has won all his matches in straight sets so far, losing an average of ten games per match. Of those left in the draw Federer has a considerable head to head record against, Nishikori excepted (though Federer leads him 3-2).

From Federer's standpoint his draw couldn't have been better. All the players that have a favourable record against him are in the other half of the draw. Of course, he can still screw up...even Djokovic can, but he will never have a better chance to pull off the unexpected as this year. That's what I meant to say.
                          Agree completely. I would have never thoight I would feel like he would win another FO, but I completely agree with lc. I still like his chances even more to win Wimbledon.

Comment

Well I got my wish. A Federer v Monfils showdown. I still think Federer is strong favourite but the match will certainly have some atmosphere, and if Monfils plays well it could be a really good, entertaining game. I just hope I'm not working when the match is scheduled.

The Cuevas has a really smooth forehand...
                            Stotty

Comment

I wish….I wish for Federer vs. Monfils…and John McEnroe

Well I got my wish. A Federer v Monfils showdown. I still think Federer is strong favourite but the match will certainly have some atmosphere, and if Monfils plays well it could be a really good, entertaining game. I just hope I'm not working when the match is scheduled.

The Cuevas has a really smooth forehand...
                              You and me both brother. This match has been nicely stacked in Roger's favor in every respect and I don't see any snowball's chance in hell for Gael Monfils making a dent in Federer's mission at Roland Garros. Gael has been out entertaining the Roland Garros throngs for a total of fourteen sets while Roger has merely strolled through three straight set matches for a total of nine sets played…nine relatively routine sets. Gael has been clowning around pulling himself out of two two sets to one deficit pressure and now it is time to pay the piper. Advantage Federer.

This is the kind of match that Roger loves to play. A big stage with lots of hype and a tired opponent who's taste for the toughest moments in a tennis match has always been questioned. What's more Gael has put a couple of nicks in the Federer mystique in the last couple of years…most notably in a match that he actually lost…the 2014 U. S. Open quarterfinals. Federer never forgets and he is going to lay it on thick…given the opportunity. He won't show any mercy and for damn sure he won't be clowning around. The Swiss is finely tuned at this point in the tournament…he has been preparing for this opportunity for the whole clay court season. Actually his preparation has been geared towards Wimbledon and he has just been measuring his steps using the clay court season as stepping stones but when he saw that draw sheet for the French he started licking his lips and said to himself…why not? Just as Stotty suggested. He's primed, fuelled and fit for a fight. He is in position right where he should be. The question is…how much fight does the amazing Mr. Monfils have in him? Not enough for best of five with the dancing Roger Federer. He who dances with tennis balls.

On an aside…John McEnroe has made an interesting spectacle of himself at this years French Open. Not only is he announcing some matches but he has been given his own spot to offset Mats Wilander and the annoying Barbara Schett. McEnroe has some two minute or so slots where he dons a baseball cap that says "Tennis Commissioner" on it. In his role as the Don of tennis McEnroe holds forth on what he sees on possible improvements to the game. The intro to the spot has McEnroe ironically spinning a classic wooden racquet and playing his guitar. Talk about clowning around. From Super Brat to Super Senior. He's run the gamut.

A couple of days ago the spot was harping on the line calling and the use of Hawkeye. McEnroe is advocating getting rid of the linesman. He also was making the issue of Nadal's being able to control who referee's his matches. John had a number of umpires that he would have just as soon not had to deal with. Yesterday he had some beefs to take up with the modern day tennis professionals. One of the beefs was the use of bathroom breaks. He duly noted that player's were not allowed to leave the court back in his day. Back in my day. During his tirade he repeatedly kept leaving the set to take a "bathroom break". He accused the players of using the break as psychological tactics with their opponent. Of course he's right and only stating the obvious. His second complaint and he made a long case for this one…was the use of the towel and the incessant towelling off in between points. He went on and on about the stupidity and classlessness of the use of the towel. As to emphasize the point he kept requesting a towel during his tirade as he mopped his face…just like the crop of tennis players do during an entire match. He suggested that they even use the towel in warm-up.

Didn't someone on the forum start a thread on the wonderful use of the towel. Again McEnroe illustrated his point with a reference to the past. Players didn't use to use the towel as some sort of security clutch. John McEnroe is spoofing the game but I have to believe that the survivor of the racquet transition truly believes deep down inside that the show has become a bit too much like "Big Time Wrestling".

John McEnroe and Mats Wilander had a nice discussion on the Roger Federer net game as well. The question came up about using serve and volley against the likes of Nadal (and Djokovic?). I believe that McEnroe was in serious error again though when he said that Federer has never volleyed so well under the tutelage of Stefan Edberg. What about the 2001 five set victory over Pete Sampras at Wimbledon John? What the hell was that?

One thing is very clear to me…"they" have succeeded in rewriting the history of tennis. It makes me wonder how successful have they been at rewriting the rest of history.
                              Last edited by don_budge; 05-29-2015, 10:55 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                              don_budge

Comment

2015 French Open…Roland Garros, Paris, France

The bottom half of the draw that is better known these days as the "Federer Half of the Draw" has been pared down to the round of sixteen.

Stan Wawrinka vs. Gilles Simon…On paper it is only natural to say Wawrinka but the reality is that these two have split the four matches that they have played. Surprisingly Simon won the last on hard court and Wawrinka won their meeting at the French some years ago in five sets. There are some question marks surrounding both of these players and their overall will to win at the highest level. This match is going to answer a couple of those questions.

Roger Federer vs. Gael Monfils…Two five set tennis matches under his belt already. One has to question the resolve of Monfils at this point. He has already plugged away and soaked all of the applause that he could out of two journeymen South American clay court specialists. How much more does he have to give? This is a great match for Federer to get his teeth into as he moves into the heart of the tournament. Perfect warm up for the quarterfinals.

Kei Nishikori vs. Teymuraz Gabashvill…Nicknamed "Tsunami" because of his energy…Gabashvill may just be the sleeper in the draw. He has advanced through the draw with three straight set impressive performances. Nishikori for his part advanced to this round on the grounds of a walkover which may cause his to stumble just a bit.

Jo-Wilfried Tsonga vs. Tomas Berdych…Berdych has become all to well accustomed to being an "also ran" at the big events of the professional tennis circuit. He makes headway at some of the smaller venues but when it comes to the elites he has had a rather tough going making any headway. Here he is pitted against Tsonga on Tsonga's home turf but Berdych appears to have the upper hand. Berdych is another player that appears to have benefited from a rather relatively "easy" draw. Let's see if he can capitalize on it. This has been his Achilles heel in the past…capitalizing on the big moment.

John McEnroe's match pick of the day on the "Game, Set…Mats" show last night was the Jack Sock and Borna Coric match. He noted the steady progress of Sock and as the only American remaining in the draw…the hopes of American tennis this week rests with him. Mats Wilander picked the Nick Kyrios and Andy Murray match as his pick of the day. Here's a couple of real characters…Nick and Andy. At different ends of the spectrum.

The only thing that concerns me at the top half of the draw is a road map that makes it most difficult for Novak Djokovic. Somebody has to make this guy work and work hard. The assignment falls on the shoulders of Thanasi Kokkinakis momentarily. Coming off a huge personal win over Bernard Tomic it might be asking a bit much for back to back performances or the confidence in this young man may be brimming and can he raise the level of his game to challenge the unchallengeable? As things stack up the final that I would like to see is Fafa Nadal against "The Living Proof". Roger Federer. Wouldn't it be nice to see Roger dethrone the biggest hotdog to ever play the game in his waning moments at Roland Garros? That would be a match that has the potential to be talked about for years…with the right outcome. Of course.
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7641 users online. 1 members and 7640 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X