Doing Your Own High Speed Video Analysis Simply and Inexpensively

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing Your Own High Speed Video Analysis Simply and Inexpensively

Would love to get your thoughts on "Doing Your Own High Speed Video Analysis Simply and Inexpensively"

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
    Would love to get your thoughts on "Doing Your Own High Speed Video Analysis Simply and Inexpensively"
    Thanks for this, John.

I use my camcorder a lot but have always had problems in poor light, shade, under floodlights, etc. It seems a camera with a manual shutter speed would solve much of this. It is easy to work out how much shutter speed you need or is it a "trial and error learn through experience sort of thing"?

My current camcorder will only film at high speed mode for 10 second bursts, then it cuts. Does the Casio film at high speed for longer than this? The 10 second limit is a pain because you have to delete clips that don't catch what you intended and start over again. This process takes around 40 seconds before I can film again.

Interesting the "angles" paragraph. I've always filmed more from the side for groundshots, never from the net post. On the serve I always film from both the rear and side.

What's the recommendation with volleys? Film from the corner of the baseline? I notice from some of the archive clips you get in close, tight.
    Last edited by stotty; 06-08-2013, 12:48 PM.
    Stotty

Comment

Stotty,

Since the Casio's go to memory cards the duration is infinite. An 8 gig card usually allows me to film an entire 2 hour session.

I like that same 3/4 view on the volley--backed up with side. To do the 3/4 I just move the camera back from the net about half way to the baseline.

I mean all angles are good. We try to cover them all in the archives but sometimes our site lines and camera positions are limited by the stadium set up.

Comment

Casio cameras

The only Casio cameras that provide both the frames rate and manual shutter speed are;
        F1 - best quality but w/ smallest view screen, largest of the 4
        Fh20
        Fh25
        Fh100 - pocket size

All are discontinued but can be found on the internet but at drastically higher prices.

Comment

Seano great info!!

The ultimate hope is that the 35mm still/high def video cameras will eventually offer the higher frame rates with the complete manual control. I am told by techie geek types they have the capability...companies are just rolling features out one by one to maximize sales...
          Last edited by johnyandell; 06-09-2013, 04:42 PM.

Comment

for myself I use the newer casio ex-zr1000.
            lcd view on the back
            It can be used inside to 120 / 240fps for good analyses

Comment

Originally posted by libert View Post
              for myself I use the newer casio ex-zr1000.
              lcd view on the back
              It can be used inside to 120 / 240fps for good analyses
              Can you set the shutter speed manually for the high speed video?

Comment

Casio Exilims

I have owned and used the FH-25 (I think over the FH-20), FH-100, ZR-100.
                All great cameras. They all can shoot in relatively low light indoors as well with high speed. One minor problem is still photography burst which is limited to 1 second, which I wish was more like 2 seconds which allows you to capture any stroke (most serves takes more than 1 sec from start to finish).

The new ones are ZR1000, ZR700 and ZR400...the second looks phenomenon since it gets a higher resolution (512x384) than the older 448x336 (or whatever at 240 fps. (It is also 640x480 at 120 fps) and 18x optical zoom. A improvement of the steal.

Casio does not directly sell in the US anymore. That's really sad. I'm not sure why. Maybe another company claims to have the US patent?

Comment

Originally posted by seano10s View Post
                  The only Casio cameras that provide both the frames rate and manual shutter speed are;
                  F1 - best quality but w/ smallest view screen, largest of the 4
                  Fh20
                  Fh25
                  Fh100 - pocket size

All are discontinued but can be found on the internet but at drastically higher prices.
                  There are new ones on the market (but not US market). See my other comment.

Comment

Originally posted by DougEng View Post
                    There are new ones on the market (but not US market). See my other comment.
                    Doug's right! The ZR700 looks amazing and is available in the UK. It's cheap, too!

Might have to bite the bullet and invest in this one...
                    Stotty

Comment

ZR 700--anyone know about whether there are manual controls?

Comment

zr 700

That was going to be my question. Manual shutter speed for video, not just picture. Previous versions had it for pictures but not video.

Comment

Ex-Zr700

Originally posted by seano10s View Post
                          That was going to be my question. Manual shutter speed for video, not just picture. Previous versions had it for pictures but not video.
                          I have written to Casio so we'll soon find out. They promise to be back in under 24 hours. I'll let you guys know soon.
                          Stotty

Comment

Manual shutter speed

Re the EX-ZR700

I wrote to Casio to ask them what the camera was like shooting high speed video in artificial light and fading daylight. Rather than me explain things, I am posting their actual reply to me. I have also written to them asking if any of their camera's have the option of a manual shutter.

See below:

No, the camera does not has manual shutter speed for the video recording.

Note the following points when shooting a HS video.

• The higher the frame rate (speed), the more lighting is required when shooting. When shooting a high speed movie, shoot in a well-lit environment.

• When recording certain types of movies, the image that appears on the monitor screen may be smaller than normal. When recording a high speed movie, there are black bands along the top, bottom, left, and right of the screen.

• When recording a high speed movie, light source flicker can cause horizontal bands to appear in the image. This does not indicate malfunction of the camera.

* Though it is hard to detect with the human eye, fluorescent lighting and certain other light sources actually flicker. This can cause horizontal bands in images, flickering of images, and other problems. If this happens, try shooting under natural sunlight or some other light source.

• During high speed movie recording, Auto Focus and exposure remain fixed at the levels they were when you initially started recording. Zoom and monitor screen content switching are all disabled.

• To focus the image, half-press the shutter button for Auto Focus or focus manually before starting the high speed movie recording operation.

************************************************** ***********

Casio have since replied and stated NONE of their high speed camera's are equipped with a manual shutter for video use...only for photos. So no good for John.
                            Last edited by stotty; 06-18-2013, 06:30 AM.
                            Stotty

Comment

None of there current cameras...unfortunately!!!

Good research Stotty!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3177 users online. 10 members and 3167 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X