2014 French Open...Roland Garros, Paris, France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2014 French Open...Roland Garros, Paris, France

Here is last years 2013 French Open thread...

Ok...let the games begin! This one promises to be special. The Parisian Hour...coming soon.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

don_budge "Wawrinka Watch" notice 5-26-2013

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    None of the newcomers really are contenders yet. At least on paper. They are only one inspired week away from establishing themselves into the upper echelon. Three names make an impression on me in this regard. Grigor DiMitrov from Bulgaria and training out of Sweden, Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland and Jerzy "Joe" Janowicz from Poland. These three guys have the correct combination of all of the ingredients and are in the process of calibrating themselves for a run at a major. Maybe not this year...maybe not ever. But nonetheless...these are the guys that are worth watching. If you are looking for something to spice things up.
    Side note...I put out a "Wawrinka Watch" notice last year in this post. Not bad for a non-prognastigator. The Kia Nishikori watch is already terminated. His hopes dashed by none other than Martin Klizan. Is Stan the Man or is he a one hit wonder? How about "the other Swiss" dude...Roger Federer? Strange sound to that...eh? And how about that racquet...can it make a difference on the red clay of Roland Garros? I hope so.
    Last edited by don_budge; 05-26-2014, 11:05 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge

Comment

Dominic "Dominator" Thiem...vs. Rafa Nadal

Interesting second round match coming soon. I just watched "The Dominator" dismantle Paul-Henri Mathieu in straight sets. The kid is looking like a real pro now...straight setting guys in the first round at Roland Garros. Now he get's a tussle he doesn't mind coming with Rafa Nadal. What the hell...he's nothing to lose.

Wawrinka currently down 2 sets to 1 in the first round. Anyone thinking that he had any chance here at the French must realize now that by winning the Australian Open in January he created a huge bull's eye target square in the middle of his back. Everyone will take dead aim now...he has a big bounty on his head now. That is the price of success in professional tennis. You have to be one tough hombre to handle that kind of pressure. It's largely a mental thing.

Winning a Slam title doesn't cement the deal. Winning multiple Slams is more like it. But the pressure is relentless and it keeps mounting.

Radek Stepanek...the other Czech...and Mikhail Youzhny in a interesting second round match. Both won five setters in the first round...both are great competitors getting a bit on in years at 36 and 32 years respectively. Fighting for pride in the second round should get the juices flowing.

Wawrinka down 4-0 in the fourth set. See what I mean?
      Last edited by don_budge; 05-26-2014, 11:08 AM.
      don_budge

Comment

Shame Wawrinka has bitten the dust so early. What a disappointment. I was looking forward to seeing him progress deep into the tournament, along with Nishikori who has also bitten dust.

It's looking like the same old, same old already.

I didn't see Jerzy. Let's hope he will perform at least a little bit...
        Stotty

Comment

Berdych with a great draw. Wawrinka vanishes early. Guillermo Garcia-Lopez has 11 wins in his career vs. top 10 opponents. Has a very steady one-handed backhand and likes the big stage. Not afraid of a seeded player.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Good news for USA Tennis , or Tennis Canada, not sure, Eugene Bouchard (developed in the USA from 12 to 15) won.

Comment

Debated with the young one all day over who was better, Kvitova or Bouchard at 20 with the young one all day. Man, is woman's tennis ever in bad shape! Do any young player excite any of you? I don't see a King, Everett, Graf, Navratolova or Williams on the horizon at all.

Comment

And unfortunately, Nisihikori is also out...

Comment

With Stan wawrinka losing yesterday, he became the first reigning Aussie Open champ to lose 1st round of french Open since Petr Korda in 1998.
                  Another tidbit is that Li Na also lost earlier today which means its the first time in the Open Era that both reigning men's and womens singles champs at Aussie Open lost 1st round of French in same year.

How about Karlovic taking out Dimitrov in straight sets. Very impressive from the big man. His game was on today and caused Dimitrov loads of problems. Karlovic's slice stayed very low on the slow red stuff.

Big blow to Dimitrov. Maybe gives him more time to prep for the grass court season...or spend time with Sharapova. I'd cherish either one.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

No one on the horizon..

Already it's hard to see a player on the horizon...no one coming through to usurp the top four. Nishikori, Wawrinka, Dimitrov...all gone.

Can anyone see a young player coming through out of the pack, a player with a future who can threaten? I sure can't see one.
                    Stotty

Comment

Raonic.

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                        Already it's hard to see a player on the horizon...no one coming through to usurp the top four. Nishikori, Wawrinka, Dimitrov...all gone.

Can anyone see a young player coming through out of the pack, a player with a future who can threaten? I sure can't see one.
                        Pierre-Hugues Herbert.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

Long shot klacr...try the "Dominator"

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                          Pierre-Hugues Herbert.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton
                          I hadn't heard of him.

Here is a name for you...Dominic "Dominator" Theim. Only 20 years old. He can blister the backhand down the line like I have never seen...at least he did it against Stan Wawrinka in Madrid.

6' 1" tall. Ideal height for a tennis player. For a champion...for a multi year number one in the world. Rock solid training from some nut in the woods. If he pins the tail on Nadal...he's a lock. Unlikely at this stage...on this stage. Nadal's playground. But if he gets it into his noggin that he has the game and can keep Nadal out there under pressure. It's a preview of things to come. Then you will see the next player to dominate tennis in the future...possibly. There are so many variables anything can happen...but he is giving off signs.
                          Last edited by don_budge; 05-28-2014, 12:45 AM.
                          don_budge

Comment

I hadn't heard of him.

Here is a name for you...Dominic "Dominator" Theim. Only 20 years old. He can blister the backhand down the line like I have never seen...at least he did it against Stan Wawrinka in Madrid.

6' 1" tall. Ideal height for a tennis player. For a champion...for a multi year number one in the world. Rock solid training from some nut in the woods. If he pins the tail on Nadal...he's a lock. Unlikely at this stage...on this stage. Nadal's playground. But if he gets it into his noggin that he has the game and can keep Nadal out there under pressure. It's a preview of things to come. Then you will see the next player to dominate tennis in the future...possibly. There are so many variables anything can happen...but he giving off signs.
                            Great pick as well. Thiem should certainly be a name to watch. Like your thinking Don Budge.

As for Pierre-Hugues Herbert...Kind of half joking. He is French/German so that may be problem enough but he is pretty young and has an interesting game. Enjoys the serve and volley. He played John Isner in first round of French this year. Here's some video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-__VMQROjnk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPFzLYbIfHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_ffVobEyi0

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton
                            Last edited by klacr; 05-28-2014, 12:55 AM.

Comment

I hadn't heard of him.

6' 1" tall. Ideal height for a tennis player. For a champion...for a multi year number one in the world. Rock solid training from some nut in the woods. If he pins the tail on Nadal...he's a lock. Unlikely at this stage...on this stage. Nadal's playground. But if he gets it into his noggin that he has the game and can keep Nadal out there under pressure. It's a preview of things to come. Then you will see the next player to dominate tennis in the future...possibly. There are so many variables anything can happen...but he is giving off signs.
                              I agree with DB about Theim. Clearly the underdog vs Nadal, but he looks to me to be the sternest test for Nadal for several rounds. One never knows, Kuertan came out of nowhere for his 1st French Open title.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3639 users online. 3 members and 3636 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X