Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6'1"

Milos Raonic - no.

He's 6'5, and so passive, especially for a Canadian kid. When I first heard of him I figured, watch out, a Canadian hockey players mentality in a hockey players frame playing tennis, and I was shocked to see how easy going, mellow and lacking in explosive hockey player power he was at an age when you should be a frigging ox!

6'1" the ideal height for a tennis player.

That's interesting. We used to believe the same thing in hockey, Gordie Howe and Mark Messier being the perfect specimens at 6'1". That was ideal.

We figured anything bigger would be an issue, as skating is a VERY tough thing to teach a big man. Few big men can move on hockey skates, as it's tough to do. In 1984 a 6'4 kid named Mario Lemieux came along who could skate, and then in 1992 along came Eric Lindros, a 6'5" kid who just took it to the next level.

Kids saw it was possible to be big, and skating like a 6'1" player, and we had a new era of "Yes, we can." And, us coaches bought into the belief that it was possible to develop a big man into a world class skater, something we dogmatically believed was impossible as we viewed our type of movement unique, and different. It wasn't. We just worked harder, and realized the effort would bear fruits at the end of the day.

Tennis just needs a giant to come along, a big HUGE stud who is like a 6'10" Sean Kemp who can RUN and JUMP, or a small guard like Kobe Bryant (6'7) with lateral movement or a 6'5 runner like Usain Bolt with raw speed.

Then you will have your next moment.

All the big guys in tennis remind me so much of the big guys we used to have in hockey. Just a step to slow, and way to sluggish, however, doing good to very good, but not quite stepping into the franchise player, hall of fame type playing role!

In any sport the difference between very good to great is field speed, timing, positioning and getting the exact spot you need to be under control and at the right time. If you can do that, and have size, height, weight and power behind it, well in tennis that would be scary!

Their are tons of guys in the NBA and NFL who are 6'6 plus, and more athletic than Gail Monfils, so it's just a matter of time I think.

Can you imagine what Joakim Noah would have done on the tennis court. Wow! He moves better than his dad, and he is what, 6'9"
    Last edited by hockeyscout; 05-28-2014, 04:45 AM.

Comment

Not so sure about a ton of guys more athletic than Monfils. Monfils problem to me is using his hyper athleticism. His movement to me is simply undisciplined at times. Also, for a guy who appears to be possibly the fittest guy on tour, he is not. He tends to fade in long endurance type matches.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
        Not so sure about a ton of guys more athletic than Monfils. Monfils problem to me is using his hyper athleticism. His movement to me is simply undisciplined at times. Also, for a guy who appears to be possibly the fittest guy on tour, he is not. He tends to fade in long endurance type matches.
        Yes, he's more cheetah than hyena. But for sheer speed he may well be the fastest of them all. Watch the last get of this rally to see what I mean. I think he is the only player I can think of who could get to that ball.

Stotty

Comment

Gail is maybe a 6 or 7 compared to NBA and NFL kids. He's chaotic (gifted), however, staying healthy is a big part of it, and NBA and NFL kids who are getting hit with tons of force per square inch are healthier, better athletes, more versatile, bigger, stronger and consistent.

I think Gail is great, however, he is again chaotic, and so inconsistent with his training, his diet and work habits, its sad.

All that talent is great, however, its not being used and its so raw and unrefined.

I saw a documentary where he was actually consulting with a nutritionist, and the lady was marking this off and that off. I was thinking like, wow, your older than 26, and you're still eating like crap and not knowing what to eat and consulting on camera with some random dietitian who probably doesn't know the difference between hemp hearts, maca and chlorella.

Then at the end of training he's out in the heat farting away playing basketball.

I've seen this type before to many times, they are in, and out and need babysitting.

Being a good pro (a coach or a player) is a serious responsibility, and the good ones make it their business to be great pro.

The rest is just hot air, and its easy to see.

Many, simply don't have the work ethic to make it. Eat, sleep, live and breathe it. You're not going to con a player to number one as a coach, or fool people, catch a lucky break or two, find a magic bullet from a $800 coach and reach number one.

I just kept thinking, get that act together, get some good people around you like Novak and quit trying to be the most likable guy on the tour.
          Last edited by hockeyscout; 05-28-2014, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Raonic is top ten in the world and almost beat Djokovic on clay 2 weeks ago.
            He's worked hard on his movement and his volleying has really improved over the past year.

Rusedki reached 4 in the world and the US open final with a great lefty serve, decent volleys, and a good slice backhand. Not a great mover and a terrible forehand.

Krajicek won wimbledon --6'5 with a great serve.

The serve is still the most important shot in tennis -- I wouldn't be so dismissive of his future.
            Last edited by gsheiner; 05-28-2014, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gsheiner View Post
              He's worked hard on his movement and his volleying has really improved over the past year.

Rusedki reached 4 in the world and the US open final with a great lefty serve, decent volleys, and a good slice backhand. Not a great mover and a terrible forehand.

The serve is still the most important shot in tennis -- I wouldn't be so dismissive of his future.
              Krajicek also had one of the best 2nd serves in the game. He also returned better in those two weeks than he has total combined weeks in his career.

Love Krajicek.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Your right, the serve and return to serve are huge.

Comment

The Dominator...

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                  I hadn't heard of him.

Here is a name for you...Dominic "Dominator" Theim. Only 20 years old. He can blister the backhand down the line like I have never seen...at least he did it against Stan Wawrinka in Madrid.

6' 1" tall. Ideal height for a tennis player. For a champion...for a multi year number one in the world. Rock solid training from some nut in the woods. If he pins the tail on Nadal...he's a lock. Unlikely at this stage...on this stage. Nadal's playground. But if he gets it into his noggin that he has the game and can keep Nadal out there under pressure. It's a preview of things to come. Then you will see the next player to dominate tennis in the future...possibly. There are so many variables anything can happen...but he is giving off signs.
                  The youngest player in the top 100, Dominic Theim was up a break in the third set. He was schooled on the red clay of Roland Garros. He said all of the right things after the match. He may have been a bit overwhelmed by the situation and the magnitude of his opponent.

He said that he would "take a lot from the match" which translates into "I will see you on the way down...Fafa".
                  don_budge
                  Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

To me, Raonic has the best serve in the game. Nothing else about his game appears to seperate him from other players. And he could very well make a run at number 1 at some point in his career. Somewhat reminiscent of Roddick, but I like Raonic's volleys way better.

Comment

Although it's athletically counterintuitive, being tall with a huge serve is a huge advantage. Watch karlovic play. The interesting question for me is whether national organizations like the usta spend enough time having their coaches work on the serve or is a live arm genetic?

I happen to be at a sports science conference and data was presented for youth baseball pitchers. Throwing at a young age causes anatomical changes in the shoulder which confer a biomechanical advantage and I wonder if they would find the same thing in young tennis players.
                      Last edited by gsheiner; 05-30-2014, 11:14 AM.

Comment

By saying athletically counterintuitive I mean these guys are not good athletes in the conventional sense.

Comment

Although it's athletically counterintuitive, being tall with a huge serve is a huge advantage. Watch karlovic play. The interesting question for me is whether national organizations like the usta spend enough time having their coaches work on the serve or is a live arm genetic? I happen to be at a sports science conference and data was presented for youth baseball pitchers. Throwing at a young age causes anatomical changes in the shoulder which confer a biomechanical advantage and I wonder if they would find the same thing in young tennis players.
                          You're getting VERY warm.

Comment

Dominic Thiem

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                            I hadn't heard of him.

Here is a name for you...Dominic "Dominator" Theim. Only 20 years old. He can blister the backhand down the line like I have never seen...at least he did it against Stan Wawrinka in Madrid.

6' 1" tall. Ideal height for a tennis player. For a champion...for a multi year number one in the world. Rock solid training from some nut in the woods. If he pins the tail on Nadal...he's a lock. Unlikely at this stage...on this stage. Nadal's playground. But if he gets it into his noggin that he has the game and can keep Nadal out there under pressure. It's a preview of things to come. Then you will see the next player to dominate tennis in the future...possibly. There are so many variables anything can happen...but he is giving off signs.

I doubt Dominic is 6'1". Maybe with triple socks!! He's a very slight 6'0" but can get over 130 mph on his serve. When he lifts a few more logs and packs a little more, he will crack the top 25 in 18 months. I think there's a gap between the top 30 and the rest of the pack. When you look at Stepanek, Istomin or a Kubot, there's a gap between them and a Cilic, Verdasco or Kohlschreiber. So Thiem could easily move a bit more this year to 40-45. But then making it higher is the issue. Look at Sam Querrey or Donald Young (reached #38)…the guys at 20-30 can beat top 10 players now and then. But Dominic looks to be a top 20 guy in 2 years. I agree Raonic is looking dangerous on clay. Much better mover now. And that serve. A threat to be a semifinalist at a major in the next 16 months. I think he has a better chance than Nishikori or Dimitrov during that time. Kei is dangerous and if healthy he may reach 2-3 QFs in the next 2 years. SF is tough for him but possible. Dimitrov needs a break-through, it might come suddenly (like Sampras did). The other player who could crack a SF could be Gulbis. I think Gulbis before Jerzy who is less consistent, unless it's Wimbledon. Gulbis is a threat on hard courts and can push any of the big four. Dimitrov is very talent, a possible future #1 but his only great tournaments in 2014 were Acapulco and Rome…although he did take out Raonic and Murray. Grigor has a surprisingly losing record this year against Gublis and Nishikori. To dominate the future, he needs to dominate his peers (within 2 years of his age…e,g. Kei, Milos and Ernests).

Gulbis could upset Federer…very dangerous match.

Best,
                            Doug
                            Last edited by DougEng; 05-30-2014, 09:49 PM.

Comment

Second Week of RG

Originally posted by DougEng View Post
                              I doubt Dominic is 6'1". Maybe with triple socks!! He's a very slight 6'0" but can get over 130 mph on his serve. When he lifts a few more logs and packs a little more, he will crack the top 25 in 18 months. I think there's a gap between the top 30 and the rest of the pack. When you look at Stepanek, Istomin or a Kubot, there's a gap between them and a Cilic, Verdasco or Kohlschreiber. So Thiem could easily move a bit more this year to 40-45. But then making it higher is the issue. Look at Sam Querrey or Donald Young (reached #38)…the guys at 20-30 can beat top 10 players now and then. But Dominic looks to be a top 20 guy in 2 years. I agree Raonic is looking dangerous on clay. Much better mover now. And that serve. A threat to be a semifinalist at a major in the next 16 months. I think he has a better chance than Nishikori or Dimitrov during that time. Kei is dangerous and if healthy he may reach 2-3 QFs in the next 2 years. SF is tough for him but possible. Dimitrov needs a break-through, it might come suddenly (like Sampras did). The other player who could crack a SF could be Gulbis. I think Gulbis before Jerzy who is less consistent, unless it's Wimbledon. Gulbis is a threat on hard courts and can push any of the big four. Dimitrov is very t alent, a possible future #1 but his only great tournaments in 2014 were Acapulco and Rome…although he did take out Raonic and Murray. Grigor has a surprisingly losing record this year against Gublis and Nishikori. To dominate the future, he needs to dominate his peers (within 2 years of his age…e,g. Kei, Milos and Ernests).

Best,
                              Doug
                              Speaking of upsets and who could make it through…

Nadal has an easy street after Almagro said goodbye. Ferrer is still dangerous on clay and could upset Nadal in the QF. I like Gasquet to get to the SFs. He could be a finalist if Ferrer does some dirty work for him. Djokovic will get through, I don't think Raonic will have enough in the tank this time. Federer has some big hitters in his quarter: Isner, Berdych and Gulbis. But he may not see Isner/Berdych as he may get chased down by Gulbis who has 3 top 10 wins this year.

In the woman, I picked at the start Serena to fall (after all she won only 2 RGs and 11 years apart) and like Maria-Bouchard SF but Suarez-Navarro could be the spoiler. I didn't think Serena or Aggie (not having a good year) would do well. In the bottom half after Li Na went, I picked Errani-Halep but Ivanovic as a spoiler. So far so good. I'm doing well with the women…I should have placed some bets! Can it be a Halep/Bouchard finals? Or will Maria win her second French…either one is likely I think. Although most guys would love to see a Bouchard/Ivanovic finals!! Could be really high ratings!

Best,
                              Doug

Comment

Paris via Amsterdam...2014

Originally posted by DougEng View Post
                                I doubt Dominic is 6'1". Maybe with triple socks!! He's a very slight 6'0" but can get over 130 mph on his serve. When he lifts a few more logs and packs a little more, he will crack the top 25 in 18 months.

Best,
                                Doug
                                Nice to hear Doug weigh in on the future. Dominic is only 20 years old and he has only this year cracked the tour...he has gone through the qualifying gigs. Taking the trip up the food chain of the ATP tour. He got his baptism by fire the other day at the hands of Nadal and he didn't back down an inch. Particularly in the interview room where he graciously conceded the match but served notice that he was there for the education as well. He relished the experience and wasn't crying about the results...only looking forwards to next time. He learned a lot about the Nadal game...he is hungry for knowledge as well. That nut in the woods has him doing all of that crazy training for a reason. Reminds me of the little old karate fellow in "The Karate Kid".

I am not predicting anything about something so unpredictable...but the "Dominator" looks to be quite special. I got the height from the ATP website.

I am making my way to Paris...via Amsterdam. I arrived in Holland yesterday after a train ride to the airport and a layover in Denmark. When I got to Amsterdam my good old best freind from Hawaii was waiting for me. He's bigger than ever and living larger than life. Like a huge Jack Nicolson character out of the "Witches of Eastwick". To tell you the truth he scares me...like a big bear eating everything in his path. Hard Rock cafe...Red Light District...canals...thousands of peoples...bikes by the millions. I am only little old don_budge from the woods of Sweden. How will I manage this goliath?

Answer...Play the Game. Stay tuned...don't you dare Gulbis. Don't ruin the plan.
                                don_budge
                                Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7896 users online. 5 members and 7891 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X