2014 French Open...Roland Garros, Paris, France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    Answer...Play the Game. Stay tuned...don't you dare Gulbis. Don't ruin the plan.
    Do you mean ...

It's time to play the game...
    Time to play the game! Ha ha

It's all about the game and how you play it.
    All about control and if you can take it.
    All about your debt and if you can pay it.
    It's all about pain and who's gonna make it.

I am the game, you don't wanna play me.
    I am control, no way you can change me.
    I am heavy debt, no way you can pay me.
    I am the pain and I know you can't take me.

Look over your shoulder, ready to run.
    Like a good little bitch, from a smoking gun.
    I am the game and I make the rules.
    So move on out here and die like a fool.
    Try to figure out what my moods gonna be.
    Come on over sucker, why don't you ask me?
    Don't you forget that the price you can pay
    Cause I am the game and I want to play....

It's time to play the game........hahaha
    Time to play the game!

It's all about control and if you can take it.
    It's all about your debt and if you can pay it.

I am control, there's no way you can change me.
    I am your debt, and you know you can't pay me.
    I am your pain and I know you can't take me.

Play the game
    Your gonna be the same
    Your gonna change your name
    Your gonna die in flames

Ha ha

Time to play the game!

Comment

Lots of people picked Roberto Bautista Agut over Berdych yesterday based simply on one poor result Berdych had in Indian Wells. First two sets were glorious for Tberd as he thumped RBA. Berdych on a collision course with Federer in quarters. If Fed gets past Gulbis, he'll have a harder test against Berdych.

And for those of you wondering, Yes! I did in fact visit H&M website and ordered the Tomas Berdych clothes he's sporting at The French Open.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Gulbis beat Federer. Disappointing to watch.

Djokovic Destroyed Tsonga. Scary form from French Open Favorite.

Murray Survived Kohlschreiber. Kohlschreiber had him...almost. Horseshoes and hand grenades.

Raonic breezes by Granollers. Snoozer. Could Raonic make a dent against Djokovic?

Verdasco thumped Gasquet. Verdasco in impressive Top-10 esque form and Thomas Enqvist as his coach.

and yes...

Berdych cruises past Isner. Berdych has a great chance against Gulbis to make semis but was hoping for a Tberd-Fed quarter

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Nope...

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
          Do you mean ...

All about control and if you can take it.
          All about your debt and if you can pay it.

I am control, no way you can change me.
          I am heavy debt, no way you can pay me.
          I am the pain and I know you can't take me.

Look over your shoulder, ready to run.
          Like a good little bitch, from a smoking gun.
          I am the game and I make the rules.
          So move on out here and die like a fool.
          Try to figure out what my moods gonna be.
          Come on over sucker, why don't you ask me?
          Don't you forget that the price you can pay
          Cause I am the game and I want to play....

It's time to play the game........hahaha
          Time to play the game!

It's all about control and if you can take it.
          It's all about your debt and if you can pay it.

I am control, there's no way you can change me.
          I am your debt, and you know you can't pay me.
          I am your pain and I know you can't take me.

Play the game
          Your gonna be the same
          Your gonna change your name
          Your gonna die in flames

Ha ha

Time to play the game!
          Not what I meant...not at all...hahaha.
          Last edited by don_budge; 06-01-2014, 09:15 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Murray grimacing and cluthing...Gulbis, Federer and injury time outs

Originally posted by klacr View Post
            Gulbis beat Federer. Disappointing to watch.

Murray Survived Kohlschreiber. Kohlschreiber had him...almost. Horseshoes and hand grenades.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            Hello darkness my old friend...the birds are here to talk to me again. I lay in the hotel room with the sounds of the city outside. Light creeping into the game...illuminating the dawn of day. The birds are chirping outside...the park twists through the city. We are staying at one end of the park in a hotel called Piet Hein. From here I watched the Roger Federer/Ernests Gulbis match. What a perspective. What a disappointment. We thought we had a date with Roger at Roland Garros on Tuesday...wishful thinking. Ernests had other ideas.

Andy Murray played the role of the stinker again. Moaning and groaning on the brink of defeat. Kohlschreiber had him in his clutches but let him go to see him play another day. Andy's interview was dreadfully boring once again...before the conclusion. In between the first and second act. He moaned about his injuries...his left quad and his right hamstring. Or was it the reverse. To tell you the truth...I don't care. But Andy sure made certain that everyone knew about it as he grimaced every time he lost a point. He was clutching too. Getting treatment on the changeovers. He milked it. An attention junkie. It was a typical Andy Murray performance. He cannot help himself. A leopard cannot change his spots.

Yesterday I went to the Vincent Van Gogh Museum...yesterday. Amsterdam is quite a place...quite a spectacle. There is Van Gogh and Rembrandt on the one hand and there is the Bull Dog Cafe "coffee shop" and the Red Light District on the other hand. Legal marijuana, hash, psylosiben mushrooms and legalized prostitution...it's true about the ladies in the windows. Now I know what a red light district means...literally only though. It was only window shopping. There is culture and then there is culture. Don't forget the canals! Go ask Alice...when she's ten feet tall. Ask her about Amsterdam. I went for the walk in the park today...this morning at 4 am. There was an enormous structure that spelled out...i amsterdam. I am sterdam. Get it?

So alright...that brings me to Federer vs. Gulbis. Ernests was in command the whole way it seems dictating the pace of play. Federer gamely resisting with his guile and his classy game. But Gulbis was rock solid on the backhand side and Federer didn't dare play to the forehand...for some strange reason. Gulbis at 25 years old stronger and quicker to Federer's 32. Plus the fact his wife had the second sets of twins a month or so ago. Emotionally he has to feel a bit drained. He fought to get his teeth in the match. He fought gamely enough but Gulbis is feeling his oats lately as he is climbing the food chain of professional tour tennis. Showing little respect for anyone in his way. I once said to nikae...you gotta be like that nikae. That's the way it is...there isn't much compassion when you get down to it. Maybe a little respect...maybe.

But these are modern days. Not that anyone would care to discuss just what exactly that means. What is the difference between "virtual reality"and just plain old fashioned "reality"? Yesterday with Ernests behind 5-2 in the fourth set with Roger poised to serve out the set he suddenly felt the need to summon the trainer to his chair. After consulting with him he decided that it was necessary to disappear into the training room for a rather extended period of time to tend to some discomfort that he was feeling. Apparently it couldn't wait until the set was over...that would have been inconvenient. Apparently he didn't feel that Roger deserved to serve it out right then and there...because for some reason he wasn't feeling up to it. He couldn't face it...at least not for some moments.

Roger looked visibly annoyed. Who wouldn't be? Gulbis walking off of the court right in front of him...he knew that he was in for a wait. He tried to pass the time. Tried to be a good "sport"about it. But he was annoyed...tennis etiquette had been breached. An opponent seeking unfair advantage against his opponent. Roger was probably stiffening up a bit...afterall he isn't any Spring Texas Pony any longer. They had been playing for over two hours of hammering the ball back and forth and this was the crucial point of the match. What were we calling it a while back...I forget. Was it the culmination point?

That was it...the culmination point. There goes Gulbis...instead of taking it like a man. If he was indeed having some physical issues...why not let Roger serve it out and then take the time out after the end of the set. No...that wouldn't be the consideration. Roger got up out of his chair...he knew the score and he knew the game. He was stiffening...so he went out on the court and tried to stay loose. I mentioned to my buddy that someone should have gone out and hit a few balls to him. Roger lost his rhythm that he was so meticuously trying to rediscover. He lost his serve and never really got it back. He was rolling but the Gulbis ploy worked. Gulbis came out of the locker room and the momentum of the match stalled...at least on Roger's behalf. Even though he managed to serve it out on his second attempt the match was a foregone conclusion. Disrupted by a disrespectful act of gamesmanship.

It's the game within the game. I was wondering if such a timeout was legal back in the day of wood racquet play. Back in the day of classic tennis. Somehow I see old Aussie's refusing to leave the court on account of their discomfort in order that they don't steal from their opponent. I remember Don Budge in his white flannel trousers at his tennis camp expounding on the strokes and the game within the game. It was a love of the game that went beyond money and greed. But you can bet that Ernests doesn't feel that same longing. He won't be conducting any tennis camps when he is 57 years old...teaching fledgling young tennis players about respect or love.

Bill Tilden wrote a book that sits on my bookshelf back in Sweden. In my office that reminds me of Johnny Depp's office looking out "The Secret Window". The book is titled...It's All in the Game. An innocent book...short stories about a naive love of sporting gestures and genuine love and respect for the game and it's history. One cannot reasonably expect that a young fellow like Ernests Gulbis would have read such a book...but he should. He just may learn something...about respect. About tennis etiquette.

For Roger's part...he commented on Ernests decision. But he is a class act and didn't say too much about it. But I read between the lines and he doesn't appreciate such behavior. I read what Ernests said...and he doens't get it. Modern days...modern tennis. Enough said.

I am going to Paris later today. I am extremely disappointed that I won't get the chance to see Roger play. I don't blame Ernests. He doesn't know any better probably. That is the sad part about it all...the tragedy of it all.
            Last edited by don_budge; 06-01-2014, 11:35 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
            don_budge

Comment

Hanging at Roland Garros

Overcast...and perfect. Watched Stefan Kozlov...America's hope. talked to his coach.
              don_budge

Comment

Djokovic versus Gulbis may be interesting. I'll look forward to that one. Murray versus Monfils should be decent to watch also.

I am actually hoping there will be an upset. It might be a good thing if Nadal goes out, good for the tournament, maybe even good for tennis. Think about it...someone winning a slam nine times. It's not good a player be so dominant on a given surface.

I am not even sure Djokovic could finally nail Nadal in the final. I can't quite put my finger on why but it rests in Djokovic not being quite as good a match player as Nadal or Federer. He has lapses and makes errors of judgement at critical times. He should have won more slams by now. On balance Djokovic is the best of the big four (or should I say 3 and a half...Murray being the half). There's more to my theory...but like i said I can't quite put my finger on it. I'll work on it.
                Last edited by stotty; 06-03-2014, 12:51 PM.
                Stotty

Comment

Gulbis defeats Berdych in straight sets. It was never close. Berdych didn't have a chance. Gulbis is playing some great tennis at the moment but this was a big chance to Berdych. What can you do against a guy who is hitting the lines on every shot? Thats what Gulbis did today. too good for Gulbis. too bad for Berdych and I.

Berdych is out of the French...so am I. Interest has dwindled. Good news about the approaching end of the French open...GRASS COURT SEASON!!! I'm over this clay season.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

?

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                    Overcast...and perfect. Watched Stefan Kozlov...America's hope. talked to his coach.
                    What's most interesting there? Youth wants to know.

Comment

Gulbis defeats Berdych in straight sets. It was never close. Berdych didn't have a chance. Gulbis is playing some great tennis at the moment but this was a big chance to Berdych. What can you do against a guy who is hitting the lines on every shot? Thats what Gulbis did today. too good for Gulbis. too bad for Berdych and I.

Berdych is out of the French...so am I. Interest has dwindled. Good news about the approaching end of the French open...GRASS COURT SEASON!!! I'm over this clay season.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton
                      To me. if Gulbis can win the French, it would be a bigger surprise than the year Gaudio won it.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                        To me. if Gulbis can win the French, it would be a bigger surprise than the year Gaudio won it.
                        Bigger than Kuerten in '97?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

Bigger than Kuerten in '97?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton
                          No, Kuertan came in ranked in the 60's I think that year. That was something, but for Gubis to take out Djokovic and probably Nadal, back to back on clay, 3 out of 5 sets, would be close to me. I saw you said you were looking forward to grass season. I am picking Fed to pick up one last major at Wimbledon this year.

Comment

Good news about the approaching end of the French open...GRASS COURT SEASON!!! I'm over this clay season.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton
                            Roger said the same thing...

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                              Roger said the same thing...
                              Great minds think alike!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                                No, Kuertan came in ranked in the 60's I think that year. That was something, but for Gubis to take out Djokovic and probably Nadal, back to back on clay, 3 out of 5 sets, would be close to me. I saw you said you were looking forward to grass season. I am picking Fed to pick up one last major at Wimbledon this year.
                                I agree. The Kuerten victory in 97 was just incredible. But if Gulbis can take out three top 6 players in last three rounds (Berdych, Djokovic, Nadal) then he's certainly worthy of a grand slam. Don't think he will. We may be headed for a Nadal-Djokovic final. Although, I've never rooted so hard for Ferrer and Murray until this week. Seeing one of those guys or even Monfils in the finals would be great.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                                Boca Raton
                                Last edited by klacr; 06-05-2014, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8142 users online. 2 members and 8140 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X