2014 Wimbledon Championships...London, England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not going to be that easy!

I don't think Raonic is going to be that easy to derail. His change since with his new "team" in the last year is significant. I've seen people serve big and I've seen people hit big groundies before, but I don't remember anyone serving nearly this big and looking as solid and balanced when he's striking his groundies as Raonic has looked the couple of times I've seen him play this week. He doesn't look like he is taking a chance when he hits those big groundies. He's playing within himself. I've always felt he was too languid, too slow of a mover, but I'm taking that back now. He's using his length to great advantage on returns and covering a lot of court.

On the other hand, this is a major resurgence for Roger. He seems healthy and the he's adjusted to the larger frame and it is definitely making a difference for him. He's going to have to force Raonic to move an awful lot to get him out of the comfort zone he seems to be operating in. But Roger really is serving better with this racket. He's going to have to have a superb serving day to handle the big Canadian. All Milos has to do is keep serving the way he has been routinely doing for a long time now. Love his service rhythm. 121 mph second serves.

It will be worth getting up for.

On the women's side, I think you guys are ignoring Halep. She's the best moving athlete left in the women's draw. She's smaller than the rest, but I don't think they can blow her off. I really like her chances. Still say Kvitova wins unless she beats herself, but she's kind of odds on favorite to do that. On the other hand, Halep is the quiet killer. Just sliding through the draw unnoticed, but wrecking destruction when you look at the score line and stat line. Being closer to the ground on grass can be an advantage and she is very agressive with her game; she hits big.

don

Comment

• Unless Raonic increases his string tension he will never beat Fed in a slam. He won't be consistent enough to make a dent, while Fed will be. Esp. now that he listened to me and switched to a 98 sq. in frame and increased his string tension.

Comment

• Wild Wednesday turn out to be a bit of a dud...the top half

Like so many things in life...the more you anticipate with high expectations, the more you leave yourself open for a disappointment.

Before...

Novak Djokovic vs. Marin Cilic. Talk about having the hot hand. Marin Cilic has quietly grown into this tournament and now he meets the arch nemesis Novak Djokovic. What better place to meet him and at the right time too. You see...Novak has beaten Marin nine times in a row...and Marin has only to say to himself, "Nobody, but nobody beats Marin Cilic ten times in a row". Vitas Gerulatis once said something to that effect after beating Björn Borg for the first time in ten thousand meetings. This would be the time and the place for Marin to make a stand. He has the hot hand after straight victories over Tomas Berdych and Jeremy Chardy with a zillion aces and it is on the lawn. It is the lawn where inroads are made...where upsets can happen when you least expect it. Djokovic for his part seems to be just ever so slightly tentative...he has had some "niggles" the past couple of months. Quite possibly a surprise in the happening...after yesterday...who knows? Novak...however has a lot to say in this matter. He is perhaps the wiliest of them all.

After...

Novak Djokovic versus Marin Cilic did not disappoint however as Marin had upset on his mind. He had upset on his mind and it looked to me that he believed he could do it right up to the beginning of the fourth set. I wrote that Djokovic is the wiliest of them all at this point in time having eclipsed the "old man" Federer in this department. The department of letting the game come to him. Novak has been struggling all over the place with his form...whether it is due to the "niggles" or maybe his impending date with matrimony. He was floundering at times yesterday against Cilic...he donned a new pair of shoes and used that as his culmination point...stood up, turned around and slapped Cilic back to where he came from. Cilic for his part had the match on his racquet but could not get the horse in the barn. The Wily Djokovic had a lot to do with it but when you are up two sets to one in a Slam Event against the number one seed you best have the turbo chargers in gear to get it home...otherwise you are going to be caught standing there with a surprised look on your face. The look of disbelief that says everything..."I thought that I had him". Novak feigned disappointment...righted the ship and waited for the moment when the game came to him (culmination point) then he took care of business just like the champion that he has proved himself to be.

Before...

Grigor Dimitrov vs. Andy Murray. Here is an absolutely perfect matchup. The sometimes fragile psyche of Andy versus the up and coming lion Grigor. We here on the forum have been watching Grigor's rising star for some time now and here he is in position to eclipse one of the Big Four. Again...timing is everything. Andy has been struggling to find his form and what better place to find it than at the place where he will defend his Wimbledon crown. Both players seem to have played themselves into form and are seemingly match fit...but you know what? It seems to me that Grigor's ship has come in. He has a sense of fatalism here...it has been growing inside his breast for sometime now...his heart is pounding. His coach has his attention...to offset the screaming banshee of a girlfriend...and Kid Galavant has braced himself for whatever comes his way. He knows that he can beat Murray. He beat him that last time that they played...in the semifinals down in Acapulco. The revenge factor is somewhat nullified as Murray has too much on his mind...you know...the queen, the pomp and circumstance. I wouldn't want to be playing tennis in his shoes. Too much going on. Then there is the girlfriend...possibly high maintenance. The mother looks just like him...not that that has anything to do with anything. This is just another fascinating matchup...too close to call. Why not just watch and see what happens? Notice how I dropped the "Mauresmo" from Murray's name? Time to stop kidding around. Straighten up and act right don_budge. Afterall...it is Wimbledon.

After...

Grigor Dimitrov versus Andy "Mauresmo" Murray did not disappoint either. Grigor has really matured and the seasoning that his collaboration with the tough guy looking coach is paying big dividends. The young man definitely has more giddyup in his gait and his heart is pounding with excitement of newborn confidence and belief in himself. Jimmy Connors used to walk up to a Wimbledon draw or a Podunksville draw...look at it and say to anyone that was around to listen..." there are 127 losers and me here". Grigor has only to say to himself now that there are three losers and himself remaining. Can he muster that kind of bravado? It is probably just out of his reach. Murray on the other hand might have shot his load as far as the world stage is concerned. Once he won a couple...that probably satisfied his thirst. His capacity has always been questioned by the highest echelons and for good reason. There is something lacking and more than likely it is the passion or love of the game that makes such a huge difference. No wonder because the game is all business and it has been for him ever since he was a kid. Nobody can tell me that the mother really loves anything with the kind of wild passion that you need to be around the top of men's tennis for as long as Roger Federer has. Andy has found a level he is comfortable at and no amount of hard work is going to compensate him for what he is lacking...passion.

The top half definitely did not disappointment.
        Last edited by don_budge; 07-02-2014, 10:13 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Wild Wednesday turn out to be a bit of a dud...the bottom half

Like so many things in life...the more you anticipate with high expectations, the more you leave yourself open for a disappointment.

Before...

Roger Federer vs. Stanislas Wawrinka. I know what you are thinking. Stanislas...he's the up and comer. He won the Australian Open. He beat Roger the last time that they played. Stan destroyed the mythological mystique that Roger has over Stan. Lay it all to rest. This is still Roger Federer...and it is still the lawn of Wimbledon. Roger 13 and 2 against his Swiss counterpart. He has the new racquet. He has the new set of twins. He has had some time to get used to all of it and let life resume to normal...as normal as it can be if your name is Roger Federer. I have a message for Stan...see how the Fed Express rolls over a guy who beat him and he is looking for atonement. Go ask Tommy...Robredo. Roger made him feel so small. He wants to kick your ass Stan...I wouldn't want to be playing tennis in Stan's sneakers either. Like Murray...Stan has some psychological issues working against him. He has had some difficulty adjusting to his new "hunted" status...but his biggest problem today is going to be none other than "The Man" himself. Because he wants revenge and he doesn't take no for an answer. Particularly at Wimbledon...which he sort of considers his home turf.

After...

Roger Federer versus Stanislas Wawrinka was all fits and starts. Roger propelled himself into the semifinals against what appeared to be a subpar Wawrinka. I was sort of grinning to myself watching his efforts in fits and starts thinking back to the days of yesteryear when all of the competitors were also playing in the doubles. So much is made of the physicality of the game today...it is just another virus being spread around in modern tennis. Three matches in a row were too much for the 28 year old Wawrinka that looks to be built like RoboCop. I find that kind of hard to believe particularly when the biggest prize of the year is on the line. Yeah it's a big backhand...but guess what? To win Slams it takes more heart than anything else. Heart and brains. Well...certainly there are many things involved but if you are missing just one key integral part...kiss your ass goodbye. That is just what he did and Federer lives to play another day. For Roger's part his level fell off a notch too as could be observed in a rather mediocre serving day. He cannot afford such a lapse against his next opponent when serving will be such an all important aspect of the match.

Before...

Milos Raonic vs. Nick Kyrgios. Milos is praying to himself like that Christopher Walken character in the Deer Hunter that Robert DeNiro is screaming "Nicky...put an empty chamber in that gun!!! Put an empty chamber in that gun...Nicky!!!" as they are playing Russian Roulette in that hell hole somewhere in Vietnam. Fuck! What? Milos is hoping that Nick will just miss a serve now and then. Much like poor little Samurai Kid was yesterday as he was only waving at ace after ace that Milos was serving at. The tennis in this match up might not be so pretty as in the others but the match up is compelling nonetheless. Afterall there is the prospect of "The New Kid in Town" coming of age before his time. Nikos won't be just waving at the Raonic serve going by him. Raonic also has the great misfortune of defeating darling "Nicky" (Prince) at Roland Garros. Great misfortune, I say, because once again Milos has provided this young amazing specimen with the revenge motive which is not to be underestimated on the lawn at Wimbledon where funny things have been known with players psyche...you know. The pressure. The Queen. The Pomp and Circumstance.

After...

Milos Raonic versus Nick Kyrgios turned out to be exactly what I thought it might be...rather ugly tennis. Way too much speed involved to even begin to contemplate the subtleties of the game. Again...another knock on the game. Raonic's coaches were quoted as claiming that the big lumberjack Canuck can serve it at 150 mph. It may as well be a million...the last opponents are seen to be only lunging and making half hearted moves at his serves because no sooner has his bat hit the ball than they realize they do not have a play. It isn't pretty and it is certainly not the way that the game was meant to be played. Kyrgios for his part may have given us a hint at what to expect of him in the future. High expectations on account of his victory over Nadal but sketchy results on any surface other than the grass. He joins a growing club of low ranking players that have defeated Nadal at Wimbledon and none of them have done much of the same caliber of result after their flash in the pan. Kyrgios played a perfect match against Nadal on autopilot...as stupid as he is young...but now he will have this performance to live up to. It is going to be a tough act to follow.

Grigor Dimitrov and Roger Federer were the excitement of the day. Fed and Baby Fed. I hope it comes down to this. The original and the carbon copy. The living proof and the heir apparent. That would make some sense...that would help me to connect the dots...the three little dots. There is no sense in Grigor being patient and letting the game come to him any longer...now is the time to seize the day. He has the perfect path in front of him. Time to saddle up and be a man about it. Roger on the other hand stated that the tournament begins in the quarterfinals. It’s three laps to the finish line. He has navigated the first...putting himself in position for the second. The finish is a long way off...no sense in wasting any energy speculation.

Novak Djokovic is in the driver's seat until someone unseats him. He is winning while playing subpar...subpar for him. If he takes this championship he has entered into another zone entirely...the ability to win a Slam while not at your best form. Milos Raonic is the dark horse. Based on that service alone he may be somewhat considered to be in the post position. He has however a real obstacle in his path next round. Old Man Experience.
          Last edited by don_budge; 07-02-2014, 10:21 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
          don_budge
          Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• "post position" or "pole position"?

Comment

• Originally posted by DougEng View Post
              Agree Stotty. Roger will beat Raonic provided he can get a couple leads early. He does like beating up on the big hitters.

Now, John McEnroe and Andre Agassi have been saying Nadal is the greatest player of all time right when Roger might stretch his lead in majors. And the greatest of all time losing to 3 guys ranked 100 or lower at Wimbledon…in consecutive years.

For Nadal to win Wimbledon, he needs to take greater risks and flatten out that serve again, back to 130 mph.
              Always great to have your views, Doug. You should pop round more often.

I would be surprised if Federer didn't dissect Raonic. He loves a lumberjack's scalp. And lumberjacks come no bigger than Raonic. I'll go for Federer in four...though it will be as easy as three.

Yep, Mac and Agassi are looking wrong. You can only judge a career when it's done and dusted so let's not get involved in that one.

I've been saying Nadal should hit bigger for years. He did for 2 months after his 7 month break...from Indian Wells onwards, then retreated into his shell. His forehand was amazing for that short period...and his journeys to the net.
              Stotty

Comment

• Is it something in the water??

Men's semis: Swiss vs Canadian (born in Balkans), Croat vs Bulgarian (both Balkans)

Women's semis: Canadian vs Romanian (Balkan), Czech vs Czech

That's 4 Balkans, 2 Czechs and a Swiss and a Canadian. 6 out of 8 from behind the former Iron Curtain. Kruschev would have had a field day with that!

What are they doing that the US is not? What is different about the US approach to tennis from the approach to other Olympic sports?

don

Comment

• Don't forget Roger's mother is South African...

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                    Novak Djokovic is in the driver's seat until someone unseats him. He is winning while playing subpar...subpar for him. If he takes this championship he has entered into another zone entirely...the ability to win a Slam while not at your best form.
                    Good point...and he is good enough to stutter his way through and win.

But any final would do me so long as Federer is in it. Djokovic usually just squeezes past Federer, but on grass and with Djokovic's form of late, Federer may just be able to reverse that.

On the other hand if Dimitrov could unseat Djokovic it might be a breath of air for tennis. Baby Federer vs Daddy Federer...that might be fun.
                    Stotty

Comment

• Halep over Bouchard because Simona will want to get off the court in order to read. Sorry Eugenie if you like to read too. Whoever reads most, male or female, is the tennis player most deserving of a Wimbledon championship.

Comment

• Originally posted by bottle View Post
                        Halep over Bouchard because Simona will want to get off the court in order to read. Sorry Eugenie if you like to read too. Whoever reads most, male or female, is the tennis player most deserving of a Wimbledon championship.
                        If that is the case, then Roger will not get it, because in an interview several years ago, he said that he never read a book...

Comment

• Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                          If that is the case, then Roger will not get it, because in an interview several years ago, he said that he never read a book...
                          A good thing for a tennis player to say. The second they know you read books you are toast. My sister used to push the books under her bed when anybody knocked to come into her room. That is how she became valedictorian.

Well, I'd better recant quickly on my prediction about Halep. That Bouchard so super with her school homework is a smart chick. Great interview with hard-hearted Hannah the vamp of Savannah. Chrissie could be right that Bouchard will beat Kivitova. Tennis is much about confidence, isn't it?
                          Last edited by bottle; 07-03-2014, 08:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                            Good point...and he is good enough to stutter his way through and win.

But any final would do me so long as Federer is in it. Djokovic usually just squeezes past Federer, but on grass and with Djokovic's form of late, Federer may just be able to reverse that.

On the other hand if Dimitrov could unseat Djokovic it might be a breath of air for tennis. Baby Federer vs Daddy Federer...that might be fun.
                            What a great final 4. I'm kind of looking to see Fed and Dimitrov get through also but I could see any of them winning this. It would obviously be a huge breakthrough for Raonic or Dimitrov to win this tournament. Raonic appears to have the best serve in tennis.

Comment

• Realistically the USA would beat the living snot out of anyone in any tennis if (a) wasn't was the NBA, NFL, MLB and a lesser extend NHL.

Comment

• Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                                That's 4 Balkans, 2 Czechs and a Swiss and a Canadian. 6 out of 8 from behind the former Iron Curtain. Kruschev would have had a field day with that! What are they doing that the US is not? What is different about the US approach to tennis from the approach to other Olympic sports?don
                                You don't want to know Don! ABC tennis

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7701 users online. 6 members and 7695 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X