2014 Wimbledon Championships...London, England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swinging Volleys...the bane of Classic Fundamentals

First game...two swinging volleys by Federer...two lost points.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Of the 9 wimbledon finals Federer has appeared in, here are the amount of times his serve has been broken coming into the finals...

2014 - 1
      2012 - 7
      2009 - 3
      2008 - 2
      2007 - 3
      2006 - 2
      2005 - 6
      2004 - 2
      2003 - 8

Food for thought.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

• Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
        Today is the day! Roger has a chance of being the oldest player to win Wimbledon in the open era!

Funny too that Edberg and Becker appear in another Wimbledon final, this time as adversary coachs...
        I wouldn't mind if Djokovic and Federer took a seat and Edberg and Becker played this final.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

• Swing Volleys...cont.

Three swing volleys and three lost points.

Every single slice backhand that Roger plays creates just a bit of indecision on Djokovic. Either Djokovic plays a rather tentative slice himself or he has missed routine shots. But the point is Djokovic has not hurt Federer off of any of the slice backhands. None of the "elegant" topspin drives that Federer hits make the slightest impression on Djokovic. Not the slightest.

Doesn't Roger understand this? His tactic should be...aggressive off of the forehand side and move him around. Defense off of the backhand side...and move him around. The defense style is passively aggressive. Vary the spin, speed, direction and depth. There you go...game plan.
          Last edited by don_budge; 07-07-2014, 10:15 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
          don_budge

Comment

• % of Serve and Volley from Roger Federer over the years at Wimbledon. Interesting graphic. Sorry for poor quality.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            Attached Files

Comment

• First set to Federer...

He was a bit lucky to win it...I think.

First game...Federer approaches twice with topspin and loses both points. First fall for Djokovic...pretty hard too. He's testing his ankle...or he is trying to get into Fed's head. But he comes out firing on his serve. Mind game.

Djokovic has called for the trainer. Mind game. I called it before it happened. I would like to see this nonsense stopped.

Medical timeout coming up.
              don_budge

Comment

• Federer is doing well. He just needs to keep pressing. Djokovic of course could play better...more aggressive. He's seeing the returns better and better so Federer needs to serve impeccably in my view.

The second set is crucial...for both men.

I am off to Italy...will miss the rest. May check for an update at the airport.
                Stotty

Comment

• Letting the game come to you...

Once again it seems that Djokovic has let the game come to him. Using the fall to get into Roger's head. Now the momentum seems to have swung just a bit. Roger never really had the momentum...he was only crawling along the razor's edge and got lucky to win the first set.

This match is pretty tight and the two boys are still getting a feel for the match.
                  don_budge

Comment

• Federer is having good results with his slice backhand...

Comment

• Federer with best serving set of entire tournament and still loses in a tie-break. made some bad shot selections as he has tendency to do. Trying to rely on his shotmaking and not on sound tactics, geometry of the court and the laws of physics. Djokovic turning the screws. Doing very little wrong.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

• We obsess over the Federer serve and I'm as guilty of that as anyone, but Djokovic has faced just one break point the entire match at 2-1 in the 4th set. testament to his skill but also to al the work he put in fixing that hook shot serve he had years ago as a top 5 player.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

• Sorrow in Middle of Fourth Set

Roger Federer hits Federfores, too. Federfores are imitation Roger Federer forehands that break down in old age.

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                            He was a bit lucky to win it...I think.

First game...Federer approaches twice with topspin and loses both points. First fall for Djokovic...pretty hard too. He's testing his ankle...or he is trying to get into Fed's head. But he comes out firing on his serve. Mind game.

Djokovic has called for the trainer. Mind game. I called it before it happened. I would like to see this nonsense stopped.

Medical timeout coming up.
                            It's a panic reflex (swinging volley). I am 110% serious. I used to be big one it as it is a good place to start a youngster, close to the net, ball in the air when they are 6, however, now I hate it. Very erratic.

Comment

• Craziness!!!

Fifth set. This is why we love tennis!!!!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton

Comment

• Great match, a classic!

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7695 users online. 5 members and 7690 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X