2014 Wimbledon Championships...London, England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny story

I got such a funny story for you. I have two full time hitting partners here. I picked one kid who was at top five in Ukraine as a 15 year old. Kid starting fighting with dad, mom got involved, and the kid just quit. His dad is a coach, so the kid just started coaching, and coming to the court and being a sparring partner. Well, the reason why I hired this kid is because he is quite good (I mean really good at VOLLEYING). I asked him, how did you develop such a nice VOLLEY. You know what he told me? He said when he was 15 he quit playing to rebel against dad, started to do lessons with kids and adults from 3 pm to 10 pm each night. He would go to the pro's and say, look you get paid 60 HRV to do the lesson, give me 20 and I will do it, and you can pocket the other 40 HRV and do nothing. So, he said he'd have seven hours of work, and he did not like to run. So, he said he stood by the net, and volleyed back to them non-stop, and he hated kids hitting the ball high into the court and wanted them to hit it a reasonable height over the net. Anyways, he said, after seven hours a day of this, all the time, doing lessons, working as the hitting partner for his dad, he developed a world class volley. The funniest thing he told me was all the things I am trying to get my daughter to do on the baseline, he does perfectly on the volley, however, he cannot execute it on the baseline to save his life!
    Last edited by hockeyscout; 06-26-2014, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
      The makers advances in equipment is only part of that by product. The other part is the hard hitting technique advances. Enlarging the sweet spots, and frames, increasing the structural strengths, co poly strings, lightening the frames, have all had some positive effects vs. the death of volleying. The mortals can have more fun playing and watching longer rallies. We make up 99.99999999 % of the players on earth. The freakishly talented pros don't care about wooden frames either, or volleying skills that much. They don't have to volley any more to win. Advanced materials science is just starting. Frames are made with braided graphite/ceramic/basalt/etc lay ups rolled onto a thin long bar on heated tables, to make the lay up more pliable, about 62" long, and reinforced at high stress points, and then placed into a metal mold. Compressed air is then pumped into the rolled up lay up inside the mold as the mold is heated to 350 degree for about 15 minutes making the lay up expand into the mold. The frames are then placed into a drill in their center, which drills out the grommet holes very quickly like a robot should.

Normal players will never be as advanced and precise as the science of making frames, and neither are the pros. It took 42 separate steps to make a Jack Kramer signature frame. He received endorsement money for 27 years, and no one in any sport comes close to his record!

The makers don't receive the credit for their advances, but without them, no one would be playing at all. Thanks to the makers and bring it on. I'd like to see force field string beds. I'd like to see immediate feed back on rpms/mph for players. I'd like to have voice control over my strings and frame. I'd like to see string that would produce 5500 rpms on command.
      I am sending my daughter to you directly when she's developed herself into the player she wants to become, and getting you to teach her this aspect of the game (knowing her equipment) and stringing. You're like a hockey player, man, you know you're equipment. For us, their is so much to know about sweet spots, curves, flex, lie, grip, tape, weight etc. Very complicated. Bobby Orr used to spend 5-6 hours before a game working on his stick, some guys are just insane. Hockey players would drive tennis racket reps insane. Check out this link.

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post

The highlight of the day yesterday was Fognini. I doubt anyone has hit the ball sweeter than that man. He has variety and immense skill. Sure, he's a naughty boy, but everyone loves him...he gets away with. His court was mobbed with spectators trying to get a peek. He has real movie star presence.
        I may be in the minority, but I don't care how skilled Fognini is, I'm not a fan. The constant drama and whining is not winning him my admiration. He may be winning fans from the viewing public, but not in the locker room. I hate to sound like a curmudgeon but I just can't tolerate it. If I ever acted that way on a court and my family or coach or proteges, well let's just say, I wouldn't be on this forum nor involved in tennis any longer.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
          I am sending my daughter to you directly when she's developed herself into the player she wants to become, and getting you to teach her this aspect of the game (knowing her equipment) and stringing. You're like a hockey player, man, you know you're equipment. For us, their is so much to know about sweet spots, curves, flex, lie, grip, tape, weight etc. Very complicated. Bobby Orr used to spend 5-6 hours before a game working on his stick, some guys are just insane. Hockey players would drive tennis racket reps insane. Check out this link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX5kXBWEBko
          Bobby Orr could stretch out, while diving, and score goals while in the air, watching the puck into his stick. Hockey is my second favorite sport. Ukranian women are the most beautiful women in the world.

There is a reason most top players use gut/alu hybrids. Alu is not even the best copoly out there any more, they just grew up with it. The guy/copoly hybrid allows the most power/control/touch/ there is possible right now in the earth/world, after testing myself, for my own feel, thousands of hybrids. It's just too expensive for us normal heavy hitters to use. Sad but true.

The best way to string them is to decide which you like best as main. Then it's tensioning. Higher tensions are required for gut mains than copoly mains. But not too much higher. We are talking 5-10lbs, not down to 40 like jack sock. Raonic will never beat the top guys stringing at 44lbs with m2 pro lux. Not enough control/confidence under pressure. Has to be higher tension. Minimum 55lbs.

Hey Raonic, let me string for you and you will win Wimbledon. I'd say: vs touch mains/L-tec Os crosses or the other way around: mini jet method: 55lbs with Os as main, 61lbs with vs as main.
          Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 06-26-2014, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Fabulous Fabio...juxtaposed takes on the Italian Playboy

The highlight of the day yesterday was Fognini. I doubt anyone has hit the ball sweeter than that man. He has variety and immense skill. Sure, he's a naughty boy, but everyone loves him...he gets away with. His court was mobbed with spectators trying to get a peek. He has real movie star presence.

Oddly, Fognini's brilliance is achieved by having a weak serve. He has to use all his immense talent to make up for that one weakness. He truly is the best shotmaker in the game today. His cavalier-don't-give-a-damn attitude means he will try anything, anytime. You have to see him live to appreciate such a player...to get a sense of his timing and ball control. He's out on his own. He really is.
            Originally posted by klacr View Post
            I may be in the minority, but I don't care how skilled Fognini is, I'm not a fan. The constant drama and whining is not winning him my admiration. He may be winning fans from the viewing public, but not in the locker room. I hate to sound like a curmudgeon but I just can't tolerate it. If I ever acted that way on a court and my family or coach or proteges, well let's just say, I wouldn't be on this forum nor involved in tennis any longer.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton

I really like the "old school" respect for behavior on the tennis court. I can understand that Stotty got a kick out of the petulant Italian's behavior. He is one of the few today that has what you might call charisma. Too bad he doesn't quite have the guns to make a real go of it to the top. It would be good for the game.

The game needs its bad boys too. There is nothing so boring as sterility. The fact that two very respectable fellows, let alone excellent tennis coaches, have polar opposite takes on this "Fabulous Fognini" fellow is enough for me to give him a bit of a free pass. Plus there is the girlfriend. Sexy stuff.

The first professional tournament that I saw in many years was in BÃ¥stad here in Sweden and Fabio was one of the first players that I saw play. I was sitting directly behind him and I marveled how he was spinning the ball. This was my baptism to the new string technology. Unbelievable how he could make that ball dip...make it talk.

Back in the day his behavior would have him ostracized in the locker room but the tempestuous Italian surely would not have cared less. He is more concerned about which wine to select with dinner...thinking about things other than tennis. How to use his influence with the ladies. Finally...a real genuine hot dog on the tour.

I must admit though there is something about the flip side of the coin in klacr's no nonsense approach. A sense of respect for the traditional values of the game such as tennis etiquette which is a phrase that you don't hear much anymore. It went the way of wooden racquets, white tennis clothes and net play. I have a feeling that some day I am going to be saying...I knew that guy.

Kyle LaCroix versus Fabio Fognini...1971 redux fantasy Wimbledon third round match. After enduring three grueling sets and the pouting and petulance of the Italian Playboy LaCroix finally decides to take matters into his own hands...matters being the neck of the handsome Fognini. He strides over the net looking every bit as menacing as his 6' 6" frame allows him he is approaching the cowering Italian in the corner of his forehand court. Upon reaching him, instead of strangling him as everyone present anticipated, he is wagging his finger at Fabio and lecturing him on proper tennis etiquette which makes him a media darling in the English tabloids the next day.
            Last edited by don_budge; 06-26-2014, 09:49 PM.
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton
              Were it possible to separate his tennis from his behaviour, I may well agree with you. But I cannot because they are intertwined. Half the reason his play is so mesmerising is down to his character. He's cavalier, swashbuckling and downright carefree. It all mashes together to make him wonderful to watch, makes him someone different, separates him from the pack.

The bottom line with any tennis player from my standpoint is determined by how good they are to watch. It's the acid test. What else is there for the spectator? We must be entertained, surely.
              Stotty

Comment

Round 3...more foreplay

Were it possible to separate his tennis from his behaviour, I may well agree with you. But I cannot because they are intertwined.
                It's not possible and why should we? Half of the world loves a good "hot dog"...Fabio gets a pass. He's good looking...sex appeal. It's good for the game. He is usually gone before it really matters anyways. If a tree falls in the forest and nobody was around to hear it fall...did it really fall? See what I mean?

Kevin Anderson vs. Fabio Fognini. Just one question Stotty...did you see the girlfriend? Do you think she can cook? Anderson played the Fabulous One one other time on grass. Guess who won?

Jerzy "Joe" Janowicz vs. Lleyton Hewitt. Jerzy up a set...he should be able to close it out. Hewitt won't lay down for him. "Come on"...he will be "gloat screaming" to the last. Gloat screaming?

Novak Djokovic vs. Gilles Simon. Simon prone to fits of genius with a reputation of caving before the matter is concluded. Should provide Djokovic with some good lawn tennis practice. He isn't quite match tough and needs the work.

Jimmy Wang vs. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. Who's Jimmy Wang? He's the guy who beat Youzhny seeded #17 in the first round. No slouch and Jimmy's hungry...and Jo-Jo is looking a bit half interested...except when he gets do a little dance after the match followed with 3 or 4 helicopter twirls around the court.

Grigor Dimitrov vs. Alexandr Dolgopolov. Grigor has the hot hand. Dolgopolov withdrew from their match last week in the quarters at Queens. Word had it that he wasn't feeling up to it. Ready or not...this sounds like a match up out of Tolstoy's "War and Peace". If Alexandr shows up ready to play this could be a real donnybrook.

Leonardo Mayer vs. Andrey Kuznetsov. Kuznetsov favored by the virtue of his win over the "Everyready Energizor Bunny" or what ever I was calling David Ferrer.

Sergiy Stakhovsky vs. Jeremy Chardy. Advantage serve and volley. Read "Jack Kramer explains various Grips" or "Match Play and the Spin of the Ball" for a ready made explanation. Funny how when we see a little net play we all go "cuckoo for cocoa puffs". It's not like it was just invented you know.

Andy "Mauresmo" Murray vs. Roberto Bautista Agut. Watch for signs of impending injuries if and when he gets behind. Virginia Wade called him out on this...said he was a drama queen. Perhaps the new woman coach can give him some pointers in this regard. Virginia said that she also had a bit of a fragile psych at critical moments in her career. Great potential chemistry...or perhaps a short lived collaboration.

Tomas Berdych vs. Marin Cilic. Let's keep it simple...give it to Berdych. For klacr.

That about wraps it up for the lineup for today. A bit more foreplay. A couple of grins and giggles. Count the rushes to the net...excluding Stakhovsky.
                don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Kevin Anderson vs. Fabio Fognini. Just one question Stotty...did you see the girlfriend? Do you think she can cook? Anderson played the Fabulous One one other time on grass. Guess who won?

Jerzy "Joe" Janowicz vs. Lleyton Hewitt. Jerzy up a set...he should be able to close it out. Hewitt won't lay down for him. "Come on"...he will be "gloat screaming" to the last. Gloat screaming?

Novak Djokovic vs. Gilles Simon. Simon prone to fits of genius with a reputation of caving before the matter is concluded. Should provide Djokovic with some good lawn tennis practice. He isn't quite match tough and needs the work.

Jimmy Wang vs. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. Who's Jimmy Wang? He's the guy who beat Youzhny seeded #17 in the first round. No slouch and Jimmy's hungry...and Jo-Jo is looking a bit half interested...except when he gets do a little dance after the match followed with 3 or 4 helicopter twirls around the court.

Grigor Dimitrov vs. Alexandr Dolgopolov. Grigor has the hot hand. Dolgopolov withdrew from their match last week in the quarters at Queens. Word had it that he wasn't feeling up to it. Ready or not...this sounds like a match up out of Tolstoy's "War and Peace". If Alexandr shows up ready to play this could be a real donnybrook.

Leonardo Mayer vs. Andrey Kuznetsov. Kuznetsov favored by the virtue of his win over the "Everyready Energizor Bunny" or what ever I was calling David Ferrer.

Sergiy Stakhovsky vs. Jeremy Chardy. Advantage serve and volley. Read "Jack Kramer explains various Grips" or "Match Play and the Spin of the Ball" for a ready made explanation. Funny how when we see a little net play we all go "cuckoo for cocoa puffs". It's not like it was just invented you know.

Andy "Mauresmo" Murray vs. Roberto Bautista Agut. Watch for signs of impending injuries if and when he gets behind. Virginia Wade called him out on this...said he was a drama queen. Perhaps the new woman coach can give him some pointers in this regard. Virginia said that she also had a bit of a fragile psych at critical moments in her career. Great potential chemistry...or perhaps a short lived collaboration.

Tomas Berdych vs. Marin Cilic. Let's keep it simple...give it to Berdych. For klacr.

That about wraps it up for the lineup for today. A bit more foreplay. A couple of grins and giggles. Count the rushes to the net...excluding Stakhovsky.

Yes the girlfriend is a stunner. Can she cook? Be no justice in most women's eyes if she could.

Fabio was a set up last time I looked. I have no idea of their head-to-head tally...you'll have to enlighten me there. I just hope he wins. It's going to be tough being a fan of Fabio because he's bound to let me down...he won't care either.
                  Last edited by stotty; 06-27-2014, 04:31 AM.
                  Stotty

Comment

Were it possible to separate his tennis from his behaviour, I may well agree with you. But I cannot because they are intertwined. Half the reason his play is so mesmerising is down to his character. He's cavalier, swashbuckling and downright carefree. It all mashes together to make him wonderful to watch, makes him someone different, separates him from the pack.

The bottom line with any tennis player from my standpoint is determined by how good they are to watch. It's the acid test. What else is there for the spectator? We must be entertained, surely.
                    You are right Stotty. His game is good. I'd love to separate his game from his antics. His ball striking ability and artistry is lovely. Shame a woman as beautiful as his girlfriend should put up with that attitude. If she's looking for a tennis player with a positive attitude and forays into the net, she can call me.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

NOw that's what I'm talking about. One of the benefits of being Fognini. It's not doggy style, it's tennis style. (Slap that ***, pull that ****, and **** that **** ****. Ha, ha. Ha.
                      Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 06-27-2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Well, Fognini lost...what a bummer...losing to a boring lumberjack like Anderson. The fourth round would have been a nice achievement...not to be.

Murray's looking really impressive...he's had a darned good draw to help him along, mind.
                        Stotty

Comment

I see Nadal was regularly five seconds over the allotted time allowed between points in his match with Rosol. Rosol complained to the umpire (and to officials after the match) but Nadal received no warnings during the match.

Nadal is going to flout the rules until he retires unless umpires start growing some balls. I know Nadal is intimidating but can't someone stand up to him?
                          Stotty

Comment

A cheater will cheat until someone calls him on it, and then he will cheat again and again because that works for him. The biggest cheat/ped/psyche artist the game has ever seen, and he will become the Lance Armstrong of tennis.

Comment

Enough of Fognini...and Stakhovsky...and Berdych

I really like the "old school" respect for behavior on the tennis court. I can understand that Stotty got a kick out of the petulant Italian's behavior. He is one of the few today that has what you might call charisma. Too bad he doesn't quite have the guns to make a real go of it to the top. It would be good for the game.
                              Like I said...to bad he doesn't have the guns. He ran out of ammo in the fifth and laid down like a good Italian playboy. Was he injured or were his feelings hurt? It no longer matters...he is in the rear view.

So is Sergiy Stakhovsky. Beat up soundly by Jeremy Chardy, a regular French baseliner, Stakhovsky plays a nice polite game of serve and volley but unfortunately he doesn't have the big howitzer serve that it takes to pin these baseliners down. They are pesky...the best in the world at what they do. Sergiy's volleys are not penetrating enough either...even on the velcroed grass of Wimbledon. He is not going to be the prototype for the modern net player. We are back to square one. Let's face it...it's dead. Not according to me...listen to Pete Sampras.

Pete Sampras is one of the legends of men’s tennis, holding the record of 286 weeks as world No. 1 – a position he maintained for an unprecedented six years in a row.

Novak breezed through Simon while barely breaking a sweat. Hardly the match that he needs to play himself into form for the later rounds. On the other hand if Tsonga starts to feeling his oats on a given day...who knows? Let's talk about this at a later date.

Sorry klacr...this love affair with Tomas Berdych is looking more and more fruitless. Straight sets against Marin Cilic? To be frank he didn't look all that dominate against Bernard Tomic. Tomas is the poster child for modern tennis gone wrong. I see him with a one hand backhand and a serve that propels him to the net with crisp volleys and a crunching overhead. But what do I know according to you know who?

Leonardo Mayer beat the conquerer of the "EveryReady Energizer Bunny" so that leaves only two more...Annie Murray and Grigor Dimitrov. Andy "Mauresmo" Murray was absolutely in control of his match from the first point. He was dictating play right from the get go. On the other hand the Spaniard didn't present him with any tactical difficulties.

So what about Grigor? More and more he looks like a contender...or a contender for the future as klacr said. He is handling the routine players routinely...which is a big key. No galavanting around with lesser bodies. Then when he is faced with another inspired hot hand like Dolgopolov he has demonstrated that he can take a punch...shake it off and right the ship. Alexandr has shown in the past year that he can hang with just about anyone for three sets...he is explosive and it is tough to get any rhythm going against him. Grigor did what a great player must be able to do time and time again. He simply weathered the storm and waited for Dolgopolov to return to earth then he carved him up nice...applying the coup de gras in the final set.

Another routine win over Leonardo Mayer and it will conceivably set up a match with Andy Murray. If it gets to this point...it will be the match of Grigor's career. He beat Murray earlier in the year in a semifinal match down in Acapulco on some quick hard courts. Quicker than the normal sand laden hard courts of todays modern game that is. We'll just wait and see here but this could be a real barn burner. Andy Murray versus Grigor Dimitrov...but you know rule number two in tennis is never look beyond the point in front of your nose. Rule number one? Keep the ball in play.

Quarter final match ups...Djokovic vs. Cilic and Murray vs. Dimitrov. Too bad about Berdych. Unfortunately...in the words of Pete Sampras...not a single net player left in the top half. Let me give it a rest for a moment and then I will discuss the bottom half matches of today.
                              Last edited by don_budge; 06-27-2014, 10:48 PM. Reason: for rosa's sake...
                              don_budge

Comment

Sorry klacr...this love affair with Tomas Berdych is looking more and more fruitless. Straight sets against Marin Cilic? To be frank he didn't look all that dominate against Bernard Tomic. Tomas is the poster child for modern tennis gone wrong. I see him with a one hand backhand and a serve that propels him to the net with crisp volleys and a crunching overhead. But what do I know according to you know who?

Yeah, Cilic played well. Served extraordinary. Full credit goes to him. Amazing that they let those guys play past 9:30 in the evening. It certainly jeopardized the quality of both players' games.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                                Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7966 users online. 1 members and 7965 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X