Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sloane Stephens out! Crazy.

Comment

And Dustin Brown loses in 4 to Bagdahtis.... too bad, very entertaining player..

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
        And Dustin Brown loses in 4 to Bagdahtis.... too bad, very entertaining player..
        Dustin goes out in the only tournament you might expect him to do well in...but Fognini - the last Samurai as I call him - is through, which has to be a good thing.
        Stotty

Comment

Tsonga and Melzer battling in 5 sets. Melzer dangerous on grass but Tsonga up a break in the final set.

Fabio Fognini got dramatic and came back from two sets to love down against Kuznetsov. Getting tired of his schtick. Call me old school or no fun, but that behavior doesn't fly with me or on my court regardless of talent.

Djokovic looked impressive. Golubev is the type of player that could have given Nadal issues in the early rounds of Wimbledon if Nadal was #1 seed.

Berdych weatherd the storm of a very capable Victor Hanescu and won in 4 sets. 2010 Wimbledon finalist has game to go one step further.

Verdasco loses. What a disappointment. He is hopeless in slams. Such a shame.

Dimitrov handled Harrison quite nicely. Good maturity and ball striking showcased by Dimitrov. His coach Roger Rasheed has done a great job with him.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
            Dimitrov handled Harrison quite nicely. Good maturity and ball striking showcased by Dimitrov. His coach Roger Rasheed has done a great job with him.
            Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            Kyle, give me your thoughts on what Roger Rasheed has done for Dimitrov's game?

Comment

Its fate ...

As a few of you know the wife named the first one Venus after her favorite tennis player, Venus Williams. I got to say, this may be fate guys. The young one's first Wimbledon party, and I think it will be Venus Williams for Wimbledon, and she'll serve and volley her way to glory! I hope she wins one last one so my young eight year old will see how tennis should be played - run like Usain Bolt, move, power, serve, volley and play a great all court game. Her serve looked it's best in years, she was moving like the old Williams, she won 90 percent of her points in the net, kept the rallies so short and man was her serving game on fire in the first set. 12 aces. I think the more she plays the better she will get. She looked like a man playing against little girls today. Hopefully its just not a flash in the pan look good in the first round type of deal. It's bad she's in the same bracket my favorite tennis player the lovely Petra Kvitova.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyscout View Post
                Kyle, give me your thoughts on what Roger Rasheed has done for Dimitrov's game?
                Better for fitness. For discipline. Has given him very simple and precise guidelines for his game. Created a more professional atmosphere for Dimitrov.
                Dimitrov has all the shots and sometimes this affects his shot making and decisions. Too many options. With Rasheed, he has a much clearer game plan and has simplified his objectives.

Dimitrov will be good, but he won't hit his peak until he's about 25-26. His body still needs time to build up the strength and endurance. He can train as hard as he wants too now but his body simply won't be able to maximize or reach full strength for a few more seasons. The physicality of today's game has nullified the days of teenage prodigies. No longer will we have an Aaron Krickstein or even a Andrei Medvedev who was an excellent player on tour in his teens. Rasheed is a huge fitness freak and will get Dimitrov physically primed and consistently competing for grand slams.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

I will be at Wimbledon tomorrow. I have centre court tickets, row P, not bad...just far enough back to be in the shade on a hot day...near enough to have a really good view. I will be perusing the outside courts as well.

Stay tuned...I'll report back.
                  Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                    I will be at Wimbledon tomorrow. I have centre court tickets, row P, not bad...just far enough back to be in the shade on a hot day...near enough to have a really good view. I will be perusing the outside courts as well.

You are one lucky person! I was there many years ago (and I do mean many). It was there where on court 12 I first saw Roscoe Tanner serving live and it immensely impressed me. (As you may have noticed the servers that have impressed me most are Gonzalez, Tanner and Rafter...)

Comment

Stotty...

Have a fantastic day and looking forwards to reading your observations!
                      don_budge
                      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Roger Federer on the State of Serve and Volley...

It has been wonderful that tennisplayer.net has for the last year or so used some space to promoting the way the game was meant to be played. Much space and articles have been devoted to raising the bar of awareness with regards to style of play. Daring to step out of step with the marching masses lock step with modern tennis.

I made it my claim to fame here on the forum...to buck the system.

There has been some momentum to the effect that it is indeed time for change and Roger Federer is joining forces with the movement for change. In this article he discusses his serve and volley options as well as his serve and volley past...yet he omits the approach and volley game. I guess it is one step at a time.

Roger is doing the game service if by only helping to raise the bar of awareness.

The official source for the latest news from the ATP Tour and the world of men's professional tennis.

To be an effective net player takes an almost kamikaze attitude. Lip service ain't gonna cut it. You cannot take tepid steps forwards and you must be committed heart and soul. You must be prepared to live by the sword and to die by the sword. Roger's stated intentions definitely lack this sort of commitment and it may even play havoc with his match tactics if he gets embroiled into some real struggle. What his comments indicate is that he will participate in some nice polite serve and volley play if it is convenient but if push comes to shove he will play the more conservative option...staying back.

This is what you call a baby step. His comments about the racquet are very telling and I wish someone would ask him the question...why didn't you do this back in 2003? I am really curious to what his answer might be.
                        Last edited by don_budge; 06-24-2014, 09:46 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                        don_budge

Comment

don_budge, your manifesto interests me greatly, even though I have read it about 60 times.

However, I would be interested in your thoughts on tactics and techniques which are pretty important to us hockey coaches who know nothing about tennis and are just getting our feet wet.

And, I agree with you. Venus Williams won 90% of her points on volley, and got 11 easy wins in the first set on serve.

I like those odds don't you don_budge.

I don't really feel your bucking the system, what you say seems quite normal
                          to me.

I'd sure love to hear some specifics from you such as:

(1)

Tell me what you mean by to be an effective net player takes an almost kamikaze attitude. What is your advise for developing that mindset?

(2)

The investment is the big question, how much time (percentage) do you recommend putting into this specified asset of the game? 10 percent, 20 percent, 30 percent?

Comment

Hope you have a Smartphone, so you can post in the forum in a timely fashion your experiences...

Comment

The Second Round...interesting match ups...prime time players

Some tremendous early round action...second round matches coming up today.

Interesting match ups:

Novak Djokovic vs. Radek Stepanek. Can Radek get the quick drop on his predominately baseliner opponent. Does he have the juice at 35 years old? Perhaps not...but his entertaining style of play will help to raise the bar of awareness.

Andy Murray vs. Blaz Rola. Has there ever been a defending champion from Great Britain that produces such a low, dull resonating snore from the educated audience. He is really boring...all of the way to the interview room. Look for the grimaces and clutching at the imaginary injuries if he gets in any sort of trouble. This sort of stuff is usually saved for later rounds.

Bernard Tomic vs. Tomas Berdych. Last year these two had a pretty nice battle here on the lawn in which Berdych prevailed in four tough sets. Tomic went just a bit soft at the end of the match and rolled over for the coup de gras. Did Bernard learn anything from this match? This is how it works...lose and learn. We shall see if he is engaged in the process or is he just showing up for the spotlight.

Andrey Kuznetsov vs. David Ferrer. More boring than even Murray...but just as mentally tough. A tough combination to beat...actually.

Grigor Dimitrov vs. Luke Saville. I like how Grigor has capitalized on his win in Stockholm earlier in the year. I like how klacr began to highlight him on the forum...which made him a player to watch and monitor here. His opponent pounded Dominic "The Dominator" Thiem into submission in the first round. Is he serious?

Ernests Gulbis vs. Sergiy Stakhovsky. Ernests arguably used some rather blatant gamesmanship in his victory of Roger Federer earlier in the clay court season at Roland Garros. Sergiy used predominately serve and volley tactics to defeat Roger last year on the lawn of Wimbledon. This could be perhaps one of the most interesting matches today. I think I will take a peek.

Sam Querrey and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. This is also an interesting match up as Tsonga does not appear to have his head in the game as of late. He's French you know...they have better things to do sometimes. Hanging out in cafes...talking French. Women, wine and song. That sort of thing. Partaking of the Parisian Hour. Fun stuff.

The rest of them...just foreplay.
                              Last edited by don_budge; 06-25-2014, 04:48 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                              don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                                It has been wonderful that tennisplayer.net has for the last year or so used some space to promoting the way the game was meant to be played. Much space and articles have been devoted to raising the bar of awareness with regards to style of play. Daring to step out of step with the marching masses lock step with modern tennis.

I made it my claim to fame here on the forum...to buck the system.

There has been some momentum to the effect that it is indeed time for change and Roger Federer is joining forces with the movement for change. In this article he discusses his serve and volley options as well as his serve and volley past...yet he omits the approach and volley game. I guess it is one step at a time.

Roger is doing the game service if by only helping to raise the bar of awareness.

The official source for the latest news from the ATP Tour and the world of men's professional tennis.

To be an effective net player takes an almost kamikaze attitude. Lip service ain't gonna cut it. You cannot take tepid steps forwards and you must be committed heart and soul. You must be prepared to live by the sword and to die by the sword. Roger's stated intentions definitely lack this sort of commitment and it may even play havoc with his match tactics if he gets embroiled into some real struggle. What his comments indicate is that he will participate in some nice polite serve and volley play if it is convenient but if push comes to shove he will play the more conservative option...staying back.

This is what you call a baby step. His comments about the racquet are very telling and I wish someone would ask him the question...why didn't you do this back in 2003? I am really curious to what his answer might be.
                                Federer's comments on serve and volley are spot on. As are don_budge's. Good article db. Thanks for sharing.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                                Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7826 users online. 7 members and 7819 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X