2014 Wimbledon Championships...London, England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kermode

Chris Kermode might want to ask what the fans want, not just the players who have a vested interest in maintaining things as they are.
    Stotty

Comment

Fans?

You mean the "sheeple"? They don't know what they want. Ask me...I'll set things straight. What would Machiavelli do?
      don_budge
      Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

What would Machiavelli do?

Answer...whatever he damned well pleased.

Check out the draw...I'd love to see an all Swiss quarter in the bottom half. Anyone else? Thoughts? Prognostications? Ten Americans and six Brits to begin with...most of them early round cat food?

Last edited by don_budge; 06-21-2014, 01:37 AM.
        don_budge

Comment

Berdych in Djokovic quarter. May have to get past Gulbis in a first round match-up though.

Nadal has a potential 2nd round match-up with Lukas Rosol. The same Lukas Rosol who beat him in 2012. If Nadal gets past him, he may have Ivo Karlovic looming in the 3rd round

Wawrinka and Federer in same quarter. Fed may have tricky 2nd round match vs Julien Benneteau who has given swiss maestro troubles in the past.

Defending champion and British Hero/Icon/Media focal point/Favorite Andy Murray with a real sweetheart of a draw. Pure coincidence of course.

American Ryan Harrison with a new coach in Jan-Michael Gambill breezed through qualies and gets the luckof playing Dimitrov. Dimitrov won Queen's Club but had an early exit in Paris. Big pressure on Grigor to make an impact at a grand slam. Big opportunity for Harrison to get a big scalp.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

I'm picking Federer to win his last major.

Comment

+1 sure hope so....

Comment

An interesting first round match is Dustin Brown vs Bahdahtis...

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                  I'm picking Federer to win his last major.
                  Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                  +1 sure hope so....
                  I'm not sure he has seven good matches in him to do it any more...probably not.
                  Stotty

Comment

Too early to talk about Federer winning...

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                    I'm not sure he has seven good matches in him to do it any more...probably not.
                    The official source for the latest news from the ATP Tour and the world of men's professional tennis.

Just sit back and enjoy the tennis. Enjoy it that is...if you like your grass court tennis slugging it out in futile baseline rallies. Someone was explaining to me how superior the tennis is these days. It was a guy here in Sweden who fancies himself to be a coach.

It's way too early to be talking about Federer...afterall where was he last year in this tournament? Gone...early on. But this is a brand new day...and afterall he does have a brand new racquet. Have you seen this fellow Feliciano Lopez lately...he has rediscovered how to play grass court tennis. He made a pretty good showing these past couple of weeks playing good sound fundamental grass court tennis. Why not? The surface? The racquets? The strings? The balls? Just do it...baby.

Roger Federer at one point in his career was going to develop into a fine all court player...but he got discouraged and resorted to playing the modern game. But looking back...he should have changed his racquet about ten years ago. He may have been able to follow through on his career path. So we shall see. Lopez has actually looked much more comfortable playing grass court tactics than Federer has...but that may just have something to do with his being left handed too. You see...grass court tennis sets up the opponent for that moment of hesitation...that split second of indecision. Lopez' being left handed creates a double indemnity.

We shall see. If Roger serves well...everything is possible. Somewhat unlikely though...as Stotty suggests.

Early rounds provide for some interesting matches...even though in the end they will be quite forgettable.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 06-22-2014, 03:29 AM.
                    don_budge

Comment

I agree with DB about F Lopez. I always felt like if he were to ever make a deep run at a major, Wimbledon would be it. He at times reminds me of a left handed Rafter. They both are great athletes with very good volley skills and similar backhand issues for their world class level. The most impressive play I have seen on grass in this lead up to Wimbledon was Dustin Brown dismantling Nadal. I wish Dustin could maintain that level, but I suppose that is why he is in the 70's in the rankings.

Comment

Feliciano Lopez having a great grass season thus far. All two weeks into it anyways. Finals in Queen's Club plus title in Eastbourne. I've always liked his game. Let's see what he can do at AELTCC.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
                          I agree with DB about F Lopez. I always felt like if he were to ever make a deep run at a major, Wimbledon would be it. He at times reminds me of a left handed Rafter. They both are great athletes with very good volley skills and similar backhand issues for their world class level. The most impressive play I have seen on grass in this lead up to Wimbledon was Dustin Brown dismantling Nadal. I wish Dustin could maintain that level, but I suppose that is why he is in the 70's in the rankings.
                          Lopez is a competent volleyer, nothing more. I watched a set of Dustin Brown last year who played superbly during the 30 minutes I was watching. He served great and just dinked lots of short volleys over the net...his opponent could do nothing with them.

I am praying Dustin Brown will come up with another good performance and make the quarters...unlikely to happen, but it might go a little way to changing tennis for the better if he did.

Lopez is a plank...Dustin is terrific.
                          Last edited by stotty; 06-22-2014, 12:35 PM.
                          Stotty

Comment

Lopez and Brown...onward into the fortnight...Dominic Thiem!

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                            Lopez is a plank...Dustin is terrific.
                            Granted he is not a "great volleyer". But somehow he managed to get himself to the championship round to the lead up to Wimbledon tournaments.

How did he do it if he is not a great volleyer? Number one...he is left handed. Advantage Lopez. Number two...his judicious use of his left handed slice backhand created an anomaly that only Grigor Dimitrov had the answer to. He only got by with the skinny of his Galavant ways.

Feliciano will not be a major factor in the Championships in all likelihood. One of the bigger sharks...like John Isner is awaiting him. But he did play with a certain grass court style...and it worked against the lesser echelon. Good work on his part.

Dustin Brown? Too gimmicky. Although very entertaining there is the question of being fundamentally correct over the course of five set matches. Marcos Baghdatis may prove to be too experienced in five set play. Perhaps it is other factors. He is fun to watch...he has been over the years. But he seems to have found his comfort zone in the middle of the pact. His victory over Nadal? I am afraid that might have had something to do with Nadal.

Match of interest today...Dominic Thiem versus anyone. A second round match up with Grigor Dimitrov would be a nice kick start to the tournament. We shall see if the kid can begin to harness his big arsenal on the grass of Wimbledon. A glimpse of things to come?
                            Last edited by don_budge; 06-23-2014, 12:25 AM.
                            don_budge

Comment

Sam Stosur loses first round! Not withstanding the kick serve she is famous for and her athletic tennis!

Stakhovsky who beat Federer last year wins in three sets (against Berlocq). So a serve and volley player proceeds.

And what happened to Verdasco? He is out first round too...

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7842 users online. 7 members and 7835 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X