2015 Wimbledon Championships…ATP 2000…London, Great Britain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    But one thing left for me to think about…what if Roger had been able to bring Novak in more often. He didn't look very comfortable at the net or transitioning. In fact…he looked awful. I will never understand either why Roger didn't use the slice backhand more. Stefan Edberg should have given him instructions to use it at least 50% of the time. Novak rarely…and I mean almost never hurts Federer as a direct result of playing a slice backhand. But he hurts him routinely when his topspin drive falls in the middle of the court and Novak is pounding it into the corners. Just a thought.
    don_budge
    I noticed this also. The times where Roger hit a shorter, chipped backhand to entice Djokovic in worked like a treat. It landed Djokovic just where he didn't want to be...fish out of water. So why not do it more often? Maybe it's just tough to pull off repeatedly. I guess it's difficult to know without being in the frying pan with those guys.

Originally posted by don_budge View Post

The quicker conditions never materialised…the ball was sitting up from the very beginning. One of the announcers mentioned it was a bit colder…on this particular day. The weather thwarted "The Man" as well as did Djokovic.
    don_budge
    You are so right. They conditions didn't materialise. People have no idea how the atmosphere affects a grass court. Everything was perfect against Murray. A hot, dead still day with the ball moving real quick through the air. A perfect storm. Couple that with an opponent he loves to play against when he is on song. An opponent who hits the ball hard and flat and whose forehand cannot damage him all that much. Murray on grass is perfect fodder for an on form Federer. And on form he was. He has never played better.

The conditions in the final were heavier and it was breezy. The window for perfection had closed for the final. What a shame.

Djokovic was amazing. Winning the second set just softened Federer up. Federer was finished after that. He was reduced to the role of retriever much of the time. His precision disappeared and he ended up hitting down the middle and hanging in with his serve. He didn't contest the point in the last game to go 0-30 down. He knew the match was over....pummelled.

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
    I am wary of armchair analysts...
    Don't be. That's what we all are. You, me, all the forum, McEnroe, Flemming, and anyone else you care to mention. Some talk sense, some talk no sense. At the end of the day "it doesn't matter a whole hill of beans" is a quote I heard somewhere...maybe Humphrey Bogart.
    Stotty

Comment

• A really bad performance, especially on back hands and ue of forehands and missed first serves at big points!. Sad to see the nerves hit him so badly. Should not have won any set at all.
      Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 07-13-2015, 07:27 AM.

Comment

• Saw the replay of the match last night. Not surprised by result. Optimism and heart for Fed but brains picked Djokovic. Fed was lucky to win 2nd set as I thought Djokovic outplayed him in that set. But Fed outplayed Djokovic in first and lost that one so no harm no foul.
        But to be honest, Djokovic had set points in all 9 sets that they played in the Wimbledon finals the last two years, he only needed to convert on 6 of them. Legitimately, Djokovic, if not for nerves, could have, and should have won in straight sets the last two years.

With Stefan Edberg in your box, playing in the Wimbledon final, surprising that Fed only won 15 out of 20 serve and volley points and didn't get in more. What was the plan? the x's and o's? Fed didn't have one. He gets by on incredible skills and talent and that is enough for him to beat most guys.
        Would love to see what the game plan was besides "serve really well, hit the forehand"

I love watching Federer hit the ball. Watching him struggle and think through a match is another story. With that said, any other player would love to play like Roger Federer and have his career.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

• Originally posted by klacr View Post
          With Stefan Edberg in your box, playing in the Wimbledon final, surprising that Fed only won 15 out of 20 serve and volley points and didn't get in more. What was the plan? the x's and o's? Fed didn't have one. He gets by on incredible skills and talent and that is enough for him to beat most guys.
          Would love to see what the game plan was besides "serve really well, hit the forehand"

I love watching Federer hit the ball. Watching him struggle and think through a match is another story. With that said, any other player would love to play like Roger Federer and have his career.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          Wonder what it would have been like if Fed had the strategic and tactical skills of the Swiss player that won two Wimbledon championships this fortnight!!

don

Comment

• Don,
            Love the Hingis reference

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            Last edited by klacr; 07-13-2015, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
              I don't usually butt into these threads. But I note the incredible graciousness of both players afterwards. Inspiring.
              Well said...two amazing men. Both are intelligent and well-rounded.

If we are being honest, most of the so-called "personalities" in our sport have been players acting like spoilt children. Boris still behaves like one at times. That's pretty much all these "personalities" have ever been - spoiled children.

People misunderstand. It's the instant media coverage that has made players very wary of saying anything other than what will be construed as morally and politically correct.

Kyrgios will have felt the sharp edge of the media last week. He behaved like a complete idiot. I did bring myself to forgive him as he is young and probably had little idea of the impact he was having.
              Last edited by stotty; 07-13-2015, 12:39 PM.
              Stotty

Comment

• Anyone who can beat Nadal and Federer as a teenager, will be number 1 someday. Too bad he's such a punk.

Another hair cut punk. He's going bald too one day.

Great players are often not great people. Too many people lining up to do them favors bend their minds.
                Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 07-13-2015, 07:53 PM.

Comment

• Graciousness?

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                  I don't usually butt into these threads. But I note the incredible graciousness of both players afterwards. Inspiring.
                  There was a perfunctory handshake. There is no love lost between these two. It is pretty obvious that Roger Federer is not so very fond of Novak Djokovic.

Djokovic's primitive display after the handshake is hardly what I would refer to as "graciousness". I would think it was better termed a "gloat" dance or some other egoistic display. I know that this sort of thing is commonplace even as it is the antithesis of the past in terms of tennis etiquette. One sees this type of display in sports all over the place now…in every sport. In this way tennis has become like every other sport.

At least Federer puts on a good act. When he wins his victory celebration is limited to waving to the crowd…almost shyly. Not the primitive chest thumping and obvious "look at me" tactics the others participate so enthusiastically in. Djokovic is no exception, which is too bad, seeing as he is now the number one player in the world. With that comes a responsibility…to act like a professional and to conduct oneself to a higher standard. He's a million dollar baby…this is a fact. His outburst down in Miami is not so easily forgotten by some just because he has won a few tennis matches.

Actually it isn't the outbursts that I find objectionable…it is the victory celebrations that are right in the face of the loser. It's disrespectful. I find this really sickening. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga's antics are among the worst.
                  Last edited by don_budge; 07-14-2015, 10:58 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                  don_budge
                  Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

• Armchair Analysts and Keyboard Warriors

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                    I am wary of armchair analysts...
                    Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                    Don't be. That's what we all are. You, me, all the forum, McEnroe, Flemming, and anyone else you care to mention. Some talk sense, some talk no sense. At the end of the day "it doesn't matter a whole hill of beans" is a quote I heard somewhere...maybe Humphrey Bogart.
                    Wary of armchair analysts? That's pretty funny…coming from gzhpcu. Techno guy wary of the "human touch". I find that to do the analysis of these events is extremely helpful and broadens my ability to teach the game. Sure it is all speculative but what is life? Is anything cast in stone? It broadens my ability to communicate and to articulate myself. Exploring the possibilities based on "what I know"…or believe to be true.

Afterall…what exactly do you teach your tennis students? It's not all technique you understand…then you have to play the game. Technique is not the end in itself…it is a means to the end. Technique is only a part of it…an important part but the real crux of the matter in the end is tactics and match play psychology. If you are not able to verbalize or articulate the nuances and ebbs and flows of a tennis match…are you qualified to teach someone how to play tactical tennis? Are you qualified to "coach" a player that is preparing for competitive play? Can you give them a game plan complete with plans A, B and C? Can you equip that player to go into a match prepared to handle any and all eventualities? Can you explain why the proclivity for strong forehand grips and two handed backhands reduces performance in the forecourt and at the net?

Analyzing professional tennis matches and truly understanding what is transpiring is an ability that lies in being able to read between the lines. This is the way that I speak to my students or it is the way that I articulate myself when coaching them to play matches which is something that I truly miss.

I find the analysis if anyone that is courageous enough to venture a real opinion interesting. Those that are satisfied in voicing the common noise are welcome to. Afterall…this is our forum. It is a tennis forum. Coaches. Players. Wannabees. Whatever. If you care to be heard the venue is there. If you wish to remain silent…that is your prerogative too. Chime in…if you dare.

I have heard the term "keyboard warrior" used here on this forum. It's a laughable term used for whatever reason by the user. Speak freely. Have a real opinion. Don't just try to shoot down participants because you don't "agree" with them. Contribute. Say something…anything. You can do it! I always tell the kids that. You can do it!

"That's what we all are. You, me, all the forum, McEnroe, Flemming, and anyone else you care to mention. Some talk sense, some talk no sense."

Why bother talking at all or reading at all…if one is to be wary?
                    Last edited by don_budge; 07-15-2015, 03:21 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                    don_budge

Comment

• I think the media are wicked at making something out of nothing. Look at this:

Video footage shows how Federer failed to acknowledge Djokovic or his wife Jelena, who were embracing in the aftermath of the Serbian star's third Wimbledon victory.

All Federer is doing is passing Djokovic and his wife in the corridor while they are having a moment together...and look what the tabloids over here made of it. Roger was just minding his own business. He had also just lost the biggest tennis match of the year.

Once the tabloids and Twitterati get their teeth into you it's a nightmare. Little wonder players opt to button up...

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                      Actually it isn't the outbursts that I find objectionable…it is the victory celebrations that are right in the face of the loser. It's disrespectful. I find this really sickening. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga's antics are among the worst.
                      Yes, the old school are often horrified at victory celebrations. Roy Emerson is one of the biggest critics, along with Sedgman. I have have to say the Williams sisters out do everyone when it comes to celebrating in the face of their opponent.
                      Stotty

Comment

• Originally posted by don_budge View Post

Analyzing professional tennis matches and truly understanding what is transpiring is an ability that lies in being able to read between the lines. This is the way that I speak to my students or it is the way that I articulate myself when coaching them to play matches which is something that I truly miss.

I find the analysis if anyone that is courageous enough to venture a real opinion interesting. Those that are satisfied in voicing the common noise are welcome to. Afterall…this is our forum. It is a tennis forum. Coaches. Players. Wannabees. Whatever. If you care to be heard the venue is there. If you wish to remain silent…that is your prerogative too. Chime in…if you dare.

I have heard the term "keyboard warrior" used here on this forum. It's a laughable term used for whatever reason by the user. Speak freely. Have a real opinion. Don't just try to shoot down participants because you don't "agree" with them. Contribute. Say something…anything. You can do it! I always tell the kids that. You can do it!

"That's what we all are. You, me, all the forum, McEnroe, Flemming, and anyone else you care to mention. Some talk sense, some talk no sense."

Why bother talking at all or reading at all…if one is to be wary?
                        Great post...and I love the end.

"It's easy to criticise but hard to construct" was as quote I heard once from some weary, beaten down politician. He was right. Criticism is the one thing that everyone is good at...it's a universal skill.

I can understand people being wary, wary of posting, wary of accepting other peoples comments and opinions. But I have read a lot of really good posts on this forum, posts that can rival any tennis journalism in terms of knowledge and opinion.

A good friend of mine is a journalist. He covers movies and soccer for a tabloid. Do you know where he goes for expert opinions and knowledge? He visits forums...frequents them all the time. "Those amateurs feed me all sorts...those anoraks in the forums are the real experts", he often tells me.
                        Stotty

Comment

• Comment

• Perspective…then and now

I started this thread with a bit of "serve and volley" reminiscing. Wimbledon's of years gone by. The winner or the tournament this year really struggled with the concept of playing the net. Here is an article warning of this very condition. In retrospect…this is a most interesting conundrum.

Any conditions that have engineered whole exciting facets out of the game of tennis…be it engineering of equipment, court speed, strings…have been detrimental to the game and the sport. It has rendered comparisons of past players and present players impossible.

The wear of the court is on and behind the baseline…gone is that familiar path to the net.

In 2001, there was little indication that the era of serve and volley tennis was living on borrowed time in its spiritual heartland of Wimbledon. Players at every stage of their career, and of every stature, were following their serves into the net with great effect. The mighty Sampras and the ever-hopeful Henman, the giant veteran Ivanisevic and the rising star Federer, all used the same basic game plan. Whether following booming 130mph serves, or more modest deliveries, there could be little doubt which style was ascendant on the skiddy, low-bouncing grass, with Andre Agassi the only baseliner in the semi-finals.

don_budge

Comment

• If players were forced to play with woodies, at 65 -90sq in., the styles would not change. Technique and player speed, and attitudes would remain the same. Make them play with all gut and the same would occur. If serve and volley is dead, it deserves to be. The only change would occur if fast grass were to be installed or carpet or wood. Then the styles would balance out. And only then.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 1825 users online. 5 members and 1820 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X