Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Andy Murray vs. Novak Djokovic…2015 Coupe Rogers Single's Final

Originally posted by klacr View Post
    Nishikori improves more and more each time I see him.

This tournament is Djokovic's to win. Everyone else playing for 2nd place.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    It looks like the "Samurai Kid" took a step backwards and Andy Murray has an ideal shot to send a message to Djokovic. A title for Andy would be a huge confidence builder and another step in the right direction. Even in his loss to Federer at Wimbledon there was a subtle change in Murray. He competed better. I didn't see this match against Nishikori but the bagel is meaningful. He buried his opponent when he had the chance.

Murray has gotten sharper as the week progressed. Djokovic has been just a tad up and down…but it means nothing once they take the court. Djokovic has that kind of belief in his self.
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Last night's performance is the reason I have not bought Nishikori's stock. The multitude of minor injuries that have plagued him. Each time I speak highly of him he comes up lame. He has improved his game, but just when he's on the brink of something big...his body fails him.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Didn't this happen in Canada last year (or was it year before last?), when Nishikori was beating Nadal soundly, and suddenly had to give up due to injury?

Comment

His unit turn is the fastest on record, and he's breaking himself doing it.

Comment

I think all the guys can turn pretty quick and most simply turn as fast as the oncoming shot requires. I don't see it as something that causes injury.
            Stotty

Comment

The Mysterious Comings and Goings of Rafael Nadal...

Mr. Nadal puts himself squarely in the crosshairs of any conspiracy theorist worth his salt. So let's get this straight…he disappears once again for some shadowy injury. To my knowledge it has never been publicly announced just what it was this time. We have all heard the malarky about his numerous exits due to various knee problems that were supposedly career threatening injuries.

But now after his most recent exodus he cannot punch his way out of a paper bag. Maybe a slight exaggeration…but you get the picture. Suddenly he is vulnerable to many players and before he was invincible and only vulnerable to Novak Djokovic. Is he without his magic potion? Was he banned or given a penalty time out and the ultimatum that one more infringement and he is gone forever?

It's all very mysterious from my point of view. I hope that this nonsense is not lost on you guys.
              don_budge
              Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                Didn't this happen in Canada last year (or was it year before last?), when Nishikori was beating Nadal soundly, and suddenly had to give up due to injury?
                It was Madrid, on clay, in the finals.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                  Mr. Nadal puts himself squarely in the crosshairs of any conspiracy theorist worth his salt. So let's get this straight…he disappears once again for some shadowy injury. To my knowledge it has never been publicly announced just what it was this time. We have all heard the malarky about his numerous exits due to various knee problems that were supposedly career threatening injuries.

But now after his most recent exodus he cannot punch his way out of a paper bag. Maybe a slight exaggeration…but you get the picture. Suddenly he is vulnerable to many players and before he was invincible and only vulnerable to Novak Djokovic. Is he without his magic potion? Was he banned or given a penalty time out and the ultimatum that one more infringement and he is gone forever?

It's all very mysterious from my point of view. I hope that this nonsense is not lost on you guys.
                  No, it's not lost on me. It's a puzzle that has no concrete answers. He's a had a mysterious career in terms of injury time outs and then coming back better than ever before. The 7-month time out should have been a massive set back. Within a month of returning he was firing on all cylinders and has never ever played better. That was his zenith.

A TV documentary over here has revealed a huge cover up in drug taking in the world of athletics. It turns out Ben Johnson wasn't the only on drugs in the 1988 Seoul Olympics. Of the eight men in the 100m final only one, a Brazilian, turned out to be clean...and he came last.

With Nadal it's hard to tell for sure because their is simply no evidence other than a photo of Nadal walking close by to Dr Fuentes's surgery. No evidence, no conviction. But the suspicion surrounding him hasn't gone away since many major Spanish athletes from one sport of another have been seen or have visited the Fuentes surgery. It's rumoured the whole of the 2010 Spanish world cup team were on drugs. Fuentes, around the time it looked like he was going to convicted, slipped this rumour (so not a rumour really as it's the horse's mouth) out himself.
                  Stotty

Comment

This is really depressing to think these accusations and conspiracy theories are actually believable or even just believeable for a significant number of people.

I think I would rather that we just made drugs legal for everybody if under a doctor's care and not proved to be deliterious to the individual in the long run.

THis shadow of suspicion destroys everything.

don

Comment

Murray played really well last night...assertive, aggressive. He pulled off some great volleys which made the difference between the two at times. His serve to the Ad box was outstanding on the many break points he faced.

That was the best I have seen Murray play for a very long time.

I invested in TennisTV to watch the final and the other 1000 events. Commentary was good....overall very good value.
                      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
                        This is really depressing to think these accusations and conspiracy theories are actually believable or even just believeable for a significant number of people.

I think I would rather that we just made drugs legal for everybody if under a doctor's care and not proved to be deliterious to the individual in the long run.

THis shadow of suspicion destroys everything.

don
                        What every happened to athletes knowing how to properly eat?

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post

don
                          Not rumour in the athletics world any more, just facts it seems. The IAAF are mounting a defence to the accusation but so far haven't come up with much.

The World Anti-Doping Agency is "very alarmed" after allegations about the "extraordinary extent of cheating" in athletics.

The Spanish world cup soccer team isn't rumour anymore either. Dr Fuentes as good as publicly disclosed this.

As to Nadal, no evidence, no conviction. He is innocent until proven guilty and rightly so. Kangaroo justice is no justice at all.

Most of us like to think tennis is clean as in theory muscle and stamina don't seem so vital and can be countered. Giles Simon is just 68 kilos but has scalped most tennis players in his time. But when you watch Nadal and Djokovic battle it out you can see how stretching out your physical capacity could make all the difference in shot tolerance. Those 20 shot plus rallies are physically draining.

No big fish (Korda excepted) have been caught in tennis - if there are any doing it at all. But time will tell. If it is going on, sooner or later someone will get sloppy.
                          Stotty

Comment

He's already been caught. It's been covered up imo. Why seal his doctors' records any way? Nadal will be exposed imo for the cheating piece of shit he is, and there will be blow back, to strip him of his trophies, and prize money, but nothing will be done ala Armstrong.

Really disgusting to see just how much cheating ped wise, there is in our sport and in every pro sport involving stamina, strength, endurance, power.... The fans could care less, but the athletes will when the cancer invoice/past due, bill arrives.
                            Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 08-17-2015, 07:01 AM.

Comment

Impressive win for Andy Murray. I'm sure many people thought after Djokovic won that 2nd set he would find that extra gear and run away with title. Murray played great. Attacked at the right times. Something he didn't do in the Miami final when I was in attendance. Imagine that, attacking tennis, from Andy Murray. Hoping that is the influence of his coach Jonas Bjorkman who's taking over helm for Mauresmo while she is on maternity leave. Always been a big fan of Bjorkman.

Andy Murray pushed up the attack and won the battle on the baseline. Pushing Djokovic back and on immediate defense. Djokovic was losing the extended rallies as well. This caused Djokovic to do the unthinkable, get to the net where he is not comfortable. Djokovic only won 12 of 25 points up at net in the first set. Advantage Murray.

Murray won 68% of his net points. Djokovic only won 54%. Andy Murray used the net to attack and finish points. Djokovic used the net as a plan B to avoid the baseline losses.

Murray should watch this match over and over and over again so he can see how he should play in all future matches.

Murray is 48-0 this season when he wins the first set.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton
                              Last edited by klacr; 08-17-2015, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                                Impressive win for Andy Murray. I'm sure many people thought after Djokovic won that 2nd set he would find that extra gear and run away with title. Murray played great. Attacked at the right times. Something he didn't do in the Miami final when I was in attendance. Imagine that, attacking tennis, from Andy Murray. Hoping that is the influence of his coach Jonas Bjorkman who's taking over helm for Mauresmo while she is on maternity leave. Always been a big fan of Bjorkman.

Andy Murray pushed up the attack and won the battle on the baseline. Pushing Djokovic back and on immediate defense. Djokovic was losing the extended rallies as well. This caused Djokovic to do the unthinkable, get to the net where he is not comfortable. Djokovic only won 12 of 25 points up at net in the first set. Advantage Murray.

Murray won 68% of his net points. Djokovic only won 54%. Andy Murray used the net to attack and finish points. Djokovic used the net as a plan B to avoid the baseline losses.

Murray should watch this match over and over and over again so he can see how he should play in all future matches.

Murray is 48-0 this season when he wins the first set.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                                Boca Raton
                                Murray defends almost as well as Djokovic, perhaps even a little more creatively. I don't think he consistently returns deep as well as Djokovic has demonstrated he can again and again. But Murray is definitely better on attack and much better in the forecourt.

I think Kyle is onto something here. Andy should study his tactics in the first and expecially the third set here.

Where Murrray is at a disadvantage is on the second serve, but he seems to have neutralised that deficit this last week. Also, it remains to be seen if Murray can put forward the tremendous resolve and toughness Novak has showed time and again in long matches. There is a large questionmark there.

don

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8024 users online. 3 members and 8021 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X