Cincinnati

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cincinnati

I'm a little embarrassed to say it, but I really liked watching Karlovic beat Simon today. The guy is so no nonsense. You have to respect that he is playing the best tennis of his life at what has to be, at least biologically for someone 6' 11' tall, his mid-forties. Of course I love to see someone going to the net and he loses most of his net points, but still makes the strategy work. And if you can't get the second serve up over 100 mph or at least near it, that forehand is a mighty weapon. Seems like it is a cleaner stroke than it used to be.

don

What an awesome tournament. And where Karlovic just beat Simon. Gave Simon zero rhythm and Simon just could not get teeth into it. Makes the most of what he's got.

The tournament really begins on Wednesday. Look for Djokovic to be in peak form and aim to take this title after the Montreal loss.

Let's hop Berdych gets in a few more matches before US Open. Last week in Canada he laid his first real egg of 2015 not reaching at least quarters.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton
    Last edited by klacr; 08-18-2015, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
      I'm a little embarrassed to say it, but I really liked watching Karlovic beat Simon today. The guy is so no nonsense. You have to respect that he is playing the best tennis of his life at what has to be, at least biologically for someone 6' 11' tall, his mid-forties. Of course I love to see someone going to the net and he loses most of his net points, but still makes the strategy work. And if you can't get the second serve up over 100 mph or at least near it, that forehand is a mighty weapon. Seems like it is a cleaner stroke than it used to be.

don
      When I watched him play Federer at Wimbledon a few years ago, I was amazed the guy could win anything on the tour. As soon as Roger fished a few returns back and got behind his serve, the point was as good as over. When you break Karlovic's whole game down there doesn't seem to be too much there.

Yet tennis_chiro is right. Karlovic works so well with what he's got. With him it's a very calculated business, and all built behind that huge serve.

He beat Djokovic earlier in the season. I watched the match. Karlovic gave Djokovic no rallies and no rhythm. He came to the net at crucial times and Djokovic faltered with his passes every time. There is real (albeit dull) strategy behind what he does. He thinks.

I hate watching his matches, but, yes, he does remarkably well and is a good example on how to work with what you have.
      Stotty

Comment

Match of the Dayā€¦Soup D'jour

Nick Kyrgios versus Richard Gasquet. How apropos?
        don_budge
        Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Can we talk about Cincinnati??!!

Berdych looked sharp in a drubbing vs. Robredo. 6-0, 6-1 match time 50:25

Fed was Vintage Fed against Kevin Anderson. Crazy God Mode against worthy opponent. 6-1, 6-1 Match time 55:34

Berdych > Federer
          Kidding Kidding. Relax Fed fans. Just a joke. (expecting hate mail in private messages folder soon I'm sure )

Dimitrov had Murray on the ropes and sadly choked it away. Love watching Dimitrov play but damn sometimes it's frustrating.

Nadal loses to Feliciano Lopez. Love watching Lopez play. That serve, the slice, the lovely way he has no qualms embracing the net. Lopez has 2nd most wins in ATP history against players in Top 10 for a player that has never himself been in top 10. #1 on that list...Fabrice Santoro with 40 wins.

Djokovic gave folks a scare. Handing Goffin a three game head start in the 3rd set before being an absolute champion and reeling off 6 straight games.

Let's give them something to talk about...https://youtu.be/BQLpRBDrhn8

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

Roger Federer in the Houseā€¦2015 Western and Southern Openā€¦ATP 100ā€¦Cincinnati, Ohio

Originally posted by klacr View Post

Berdych looked sharp in a drubbing vs. Robredo. 6-0, 6-1 match time 50:25

Fed was Vintage Fed against Kevin Anderson. Crazy God Mode against worthy opponent. 6-1, 6-1 Match time 55:34

Berdych > Federer
            Kidding Kidding. Relax Fed fans. Just a joke. (expecting hate mail in private messages folder soon I'm sure )

Dimitrov had Murray on the ropes and sadly choked it away. Love watching Dimitrov play but damn sometimes it's frustrating.

Nadal loses to Feliciano Lopez. Love watching Lopez play. That serve, the slice, the lovely way he has no qualms embracing the net. Lopez has 2nd most wins in ATP history against players in Top 10 for a player that has never himself been in top 10. #1 on that list...Fabrice Santoro with 40 wins.

Djokovic gave folks a scare. Handing Goffin a three game head start in the 3rd set before being an absolute champion and reeling off 6 straight games.

Let's give them something to talk about...https://youtu.be/BQLpRBDrhn8

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            What a difference Roger Federer makes in a tournament draw. Just the inclusion of his name makes it a tournament.

The feel for this tournament being wholly and significantly different than the Montreal yawner that was decided by a really sleeper of a final. Sleeper as in lullaby. Say what you will…it couldn't have been all that exciting…I know because I missed it. And I didn't even miss it.

Rafael continued in his mysterious decline or at least in appearing all too human. His close loss to Feliciano Lopez is another example that he has dramatically changed overnight without a reasonable explanation…unless one has a open enough mind to dabble in "conspiracy theories". Actually conspiracy theories are only plausible solutions outside of conventional wisdom that is more or less the propaganda of the moment. Roger Federer against Feliciano Lopez? Interesting? We shall see…or perhaps Feliciano becomes cat food for a fit to fight Federer.

Djokovic losing some his lustre? It could be. He managed to eek out another Wimbledon but he appears to be stumbling just a tad. He's a tough customer alright with the ability to turn on the afterburners. But he has been through the ringer the last couple of years. Stan Wawrinka is coming off a "back injury" sustained against the foul-mouthed and uncouth "Aussie". This a a perfect quarterfinal match for the great Cincinnati tournament known as the 2015 Western and Southern Open…ATP 1000…Cincinnati Ohio.

Andy Murray showing some signs of weariness after his run up in Montreal. Too bad Grigor Dimitrov couldn't have closed him out. It's a step in the right direction for the Bulgarian Ladies Man.

Plus it is an interesting matchup with the resurgent Richard Gasquet. He's due to take down a big name when everyone will count him out before the match. Gasquet took out the "Aussie" duet of Bad Boys…Kyrgios and Kokkinakis. The KK boys. Good luck Lleyton Hewitt…throw in the other idiot Bernard Tomic. A sign of the times…nothing home grown or remotely traditional Aussie amongst the three. Come on Gasquet! Andy is ripe for the pickings…perhaps he will cite being too fatigued as he did earlier in the year when he defaulted in a tournament.

Where ever Roger is playing tennis…it's a real tennis tournament. He's in the house…kicking ass and taking names. He is getting long in the tooth…it's day to day. But yesterday he was the "Real Thing" once more. Nice to see…to say the least.
            Last edited by don_budge; 08-21-2015, 04:05 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
            don_budge

Comment

Cincy Quarterfinals...
              Djokovic-Wawrinka
              Berdych-Dolgopolov
              Murray-Gasquet
              Federer-Lopez

4 one-handers in the final eight. Not too shabby

Berdych should be lock for semis. Djokovic-Wawrinka will battle and hopefully wear each other down. Softening themselves up for Berdych in semis. Big chance this week for Tberd.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Djokovic whips Wawrinka. 4 and 1. if only Cincy was Paris. if only.

As for my boy Berdych. 5-0 against Dolgopolov head to head before today. After today. D-I-S-A-P-P-O-I-N-T-M-E-N-T. No more words will be spoken about my Czech player until NYC when he shocks the world, pulls a Cilic and takes home the title.

Murray escapes again.

Fed looked down right awesome. Taking Lopez second serve super early and attacking. Scary form.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                Last edited by klacr; 08-21-2015, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Roger Federer vs. Andy Murray...2015 Western & Southern Open Semifinals

Originally posted by klacr View Post

Love watching Lopez play. That serve, the slice, the lovely way he has no qualms embracing the net. Lopez has 2nd most wins in ATP history against players in Top 10 for a player that has never himself been in top 10. #1 on that list...Fabrice Santoro with 40 wins.

https://youtu.be/BQLpRBDrhn8

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton
                  Great tune…klacr! My condolences regarding your boy Tomas Berdych. He is just too happy with his life. The marriage is sapping his legs. Life's like that…yeah it is. The balance is so hard to achieve…it's like a perfect storm. But Roger Federer surely has it…he has the balance of a ballerina dancing on the edge of a razor. Yeah…The Razor's Edge. One of my favorite novels by Somerset Maugham. Just watch him in this highlight video against Feliciano Lopez. Look at the difference in their movement and in their ability to anticipate and cover the court. Roger eliminates a big percentage of the court that his opponent can hit on any given shot. He's a machine calculating the permutations and combinations.

Lopez for his part is a very nice player. He utilizes spin and placement…two very important elements in control…control of the tennis ball. Control of your opponent. Lopez's weakness is his inability to be outright aggressive with his backhand and watch how Federer exploits this weakness. Watch the tactical aspects of Roger's game…the sublime ability made possible only by his limitless command of ALL of the shots.

Just thought I'd throw that one in there…it came on a couple of songs after Bonnie's "Let's Give Them Something To Talk About".

Richard Gasquet had a sniff of it. Just a whiff. Andy Murray was doing his old "clutch and grab" early on in the match. His own rendition of shuck and jive. Grabbing at his hamstring. So anyways…here's a match. Federer versus Murray. A replay from Wimbledon. Andy has had a couple of tough weeks. The win in Montreal had to be emotional…as well as physically depleting somewhat. This is going to even up the "legs" variable in the match equation. Advantage Federer.

Federer has been in the groove all week. Working himself into a lather. He is the master at preparation probably with a Master's degree in Relaxation when he is away from the court. Conserving energy. Conserving emotions. Always a finger on his own pulse…gaging everything. Calibrating. Always an eye on his opponent…never taking any for granted. Giving all their due and then it's time to go to work. Punch in…take care of business…punch out…thank you very much.
                  Last edited by don_budge; 08-21-2015, 11:19 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                  don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                    Great tuneā€¦klacr! My condolences regarding your boy Tomas Berdych. He is just too happy with his life. The marriage is sapping his legs. Life's like thatā€¦yeah it is. The balance is so hard to achieveā€¦it's like a perfect storm. But Roger Federer surely has itā€¦he has the balance of a ballerina dancing on the edge of a razor. Yeahā€¦The Razor's Edge. One of my favorite novels by Somerset Maugham. Just watch him in this highlight video against Feliciano Lopez. Look at the difference in their movement and in their ability to anticipate and cover the court. Roger eliminates a big percentage of the court that his opponent can hit on any given shot. He's a machine calculating the permutations and combinations.

Lopez for his part is a very nice player. He utilizes spin and placementā€¦two very important elements in controlā€¦control of the tennis ball. Control of your opponent. Lopez's weakness is his inability to be outright aggressive with his backhand and watch how Federer exploits this weakness. Watch the tactical aspects of Roger's gameā€¦the sublime ability made possible only by his limitless command of ALL of the shots.

Just thought I'd throw that one in thereā€¦it came on a couple of songs after Bonnie's "Let's Give Them Something To Talk About".

Richard Gasquet had a sniff of it. Just a whiff. Andy Murray was doing his old "clutch and grab" early on in the match. His own rendition of shuck and jive. Grabbing at his hamstring. So anywaysā€¦here's a match. Federer versus Murray. A replay from Wimbledon. Andy has had a couple of tough weeks. The win in Montreal had to be emotionalā€¦as well as physically depleting somewhat. This is going to even up the "legs" variable in the match equation. Advantage Federer.

Federer has been in the groove all week. Working himself into a lather. He is the master at preparation probably with a Master's degree in Relaxation when he is away from the court. Conserving energy. Conserving emotions. Always a finger on his own pulseā€¦gaging everything. Calibrating. Always an eye on his opponentā€¦never taking any for granted. Giving all their due and then it's time to go to work. Punch inā€¦take care of businessā€¦punch outā€¦thank you very much.
                    Agree on all fronts. And yeah, Robert Palmer's Addicted to Love is a classic. Great choice.

Federer vs. Murray
                    Djokovic vs. Dolgopolov
                    Dolgopolov is first qualifier to make Cincinnati semis since David Wheaton in 1994.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

The Speed of the Courts...

"It's good I got out of that game and was able to break right away and then bring it home. Things tend to get away from you super fast against big servers, especially on a surface that's faster like here. I'm very happy with the match."

A very, very interesting comment from Roger Federer. This is another reason that he may have a slight advantage over Andy Murray tonight and without getting ahead of thingsā€¦any other opponent he might face in Cincinnati.
                      don_budge

Comment

Great playing from vintage Federer! Fantastic touch and speed. Murray played well.

After a great match, Murray barely looks at Federer, briefly shakes hands and goes. Guy is a poor loser...

Comment

I've never seen any player mouth so many curse words as Murray. His lips are easy to read. I guess if you only mouth it, the microphones can't pick it up. Dark energy all the time oozing from him. Fake injury grabbing, mouthing off, etc. Just another dark energy person getting paid for it.

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
                            Great playing from vintage Federer! Fantastic touch and speed. Murray played well.

After a great match, Murray barely looks at Federer, briefly shakes hands and goes. Guy is a poor loser...
                            This isn't sour grapes from a Brit, as I don't like Murray and would rather Roger won, but I thought Murray played badly. He was nowhere near bossy enough in the rallies despite having plenty of opportunities to be so. Roger was seeing far too many forehands than was healthy for Murray. Roger is still the world's number one when he's allowed to seize the mid-court and control rallies with his forehand.

Like i said I'm not a Murray fan. He treats those around him dreadfully and I refuse to support someone like that. My personal feeling (just a feeling) is Lendl left before Murray wrestled control away from him. I imagine Lendl foresaw the difficulties in continuing to work with Murray, and left. Wise man.

I thought Roger served well and this is making all the difference.
                            Stotty

Comment

Forehand Not Goneā€¦Roger Federer

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
                              This isn't sour grapes from a Brit, as I don't like Murray and would rather Roger won, but I thought Murray played badly. He was nowhere near bossy enough in the rallies despite having plenty of opportunities to be so. Roger was seeing far too many forehands than was healthy for Murray. Roger is still the world's number one when he's allowed to seize the mid-court and control rallies with his forehand.

Like i said I'm not a Murray fan. He treats those around him dreadfully and I refuse to support someone like that. My personal feeling (just a feeling) is Lendl left before Murray wrestled control away from him. I imagine Lendl foresaw the difficulties in continuing to work with Murray, and left. Wise man.

I thought Roger served well and this is making all the difference.
                              i've never been a fan of Andy Murray's…but that's not saying much. I don't consider myself much of a fan of anything anymore. Professional athletes aren't very high up in my estimation. Overrated as a rule. They think too highly of themselves…probably as a result of being paid a king's ransom to play some silly game to distract the masses from the real issues.

But it appears to me that Andy Murray has done some maturing…if not as a person but a tennis player. This is my only interest in him anyways…it's his attitude and he can do with it what he wishes. Dark energy? I don't know…last I checked we are all some percentage of good and bad. He isn't harming anyone. His disposition is a bit dour. He may be lacking in the social graces. As far as his hand shake or being a good loser…I prefer my losers to be a bit pissed off. Like Donald Trump prefers his heroes to not be captured…I suppose.

What I do like about Andy…or perhaps I should say is that it appears that he is competing better. Even though he has lost the last five times to Roger Federer in straight sets he appears to have competed better. Yesterday he was probably a bit tired after grinding a couple of weeks in a row but he was there in the end…present and accounted for. If he had pushed that to a third set it may have been anybodies match…but then again he may have been too fatigued. I'm giving the guy a little credit…I have been pretty tough on him in the past.

But as for Roger Federer…he is the real thing and the only thing currently in professional tennis. See what a difference his presence makes in the draw…he won't be around forever and then what? I wonder…I really wonder. His "style" of play is without a peer and it has been this way for over ten years. He is the last remaining link to classic tennis. Yesterday he threw in this underspin forehand…just out of the blue that completely caught Murray off guard. You just don't see this kind of play in the game any longer. The sport has drifted so far from its roots.

They were posting some statistics of the matches between Murray and Federer before and after the Federer racquet switch over a year ago. The numbers have changed for the better for Federer…and size does matter. Size of the tennis racquet. We can say that if the racquet is 12% bigger that Federer is probably 12% better as well. Amazing that he didn't switch so long ago. It would be interesting to get into his head a bit and ask him about this. Much as it would be interesting to ask Bjorn Borg what was going through his head when he quit the game as the equipment was morphing and why he continued to use his old equipment 8 years later in his ill fated comeback fiasco.

I watched virtually the entire Djokovic/Dogopolov. As entertainment goes anything that doesn't include Roger Federer is second string by definition. For instance even though Djokovic was being pushed to the edge by Dogopolov it didn't live up to itself. Novak tossed the first set and took some major medical timeout. Then he came out firing on all eight. Dogopolov took an even longer medical timeout and he fizzled in the third. The question is…is Djokovic slightly off form and struggling somewhat?

It's really hard to tell but this match tonight will tell all. Federer brings out either the best in you…or the worst. The courts appear to be a bit quicker as Roger said. This is to his advantage and he could be seen pressing this advantage on Murray right from the get go last night. Murray was under a lot of pressure right from the start. If Roger serves lights out he will make a good match of it…if he doesn't…advantage Mr. Djokovic. Federer to the fore.

don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 7784 users online. 9 members and 7775 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X