Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freakin' Federer.

Brilliant.

73% 2nd serve points won against best returner in the game.

New shot: Half-volley return of serve and charge the net.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
    Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
      Yesterday he threw in this underspin forehand…just out of the blue that completely caught Murray off guard. You just don't see this kind of play in the game any longer.
      Yes that was an amazing shot. That's where the sliced forehand is useful. The whole stadium thinks he is going to play a drop and instead he plays it deep. Roger does that like no one else.

But let's not get excited about Cincinnati. Let's get excited about the US Open...the one that really counts. These ATP events are just sparring matches...or foreplay as you often say. It's the slams the really count. Roger has only won one slam in the last five years but surely he has a realistic chance to win the US. I felt he peaked a little too early at Wimbledon and gave Djokovic a glimpse at what might be coming...and didn't.

Roger's preparation has been amazing. His schedule has been well thought out and his training regime seems perfect. He is moving so well and being more aggressive than ever at times. I love the way he is working inside the baseline, sometimes even half volleying and then moving in. It's a great way of preserving himself physical also.
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
        Yes that was an amazing shot. That's where the sliced forehand is useful. The whole stadium thinks he is going to play a drop and instead he plays it deep. Roger does that like no one else.

But let's not get excited about Cincinnati. Let's get excited about the US Open...the one that really counts. These ATP events are just sparring matches...or foreplay as you often say. It's the slams the really count. Roger has only won one slam in the last five years but surely he has a realistic chance to win the US. I felt he peaked a little too early at Wimbledon and gave Djokovic a glimpse at what might be coming...and didn't.

Roger's preparation has been amazing. His schedule has been well thought out and his training regime seems perfect. He is moving so well and being more aggressive than ever at times. I love the way he is working inside the baseline, sometimes even half volleying and then moving in. It's a great way of preserving himself physical also.
        He admitted last year he was tired going into the US Open. Having played finals of toronto and winning in Cincinnati.
        This year he skipped Montreal and only played cincy. He's feeling good and he's playing good. Yes Stotty, it is only Cincinnati, but it is something. It's something good and something he can build on. Champions find ways to build confidence from small things. As they say, you can't start a fire without a spark.

https://youtu.be/129kuDCQtHs

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
          He admitted last year he was tired going into the US Open. Having played finals of toronto and winning in Cincinnati.
          This year he skipped Montreal and only played cincy. He's feeling good and he's playing good. Yes Stotty, it is only Cincinnati, but it is something. It's something good and something he can build on. Champions find ways to build confidence from small things. As they say, you can't start a fire without a spark.

https://youtu.be/129kuDCQtHs

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton
          “I think I’m a better player now than when I was at 24 because I’ve practised for another 10 years and I’ve got 10 years more experience,” Federer said. “Maybe I don’t have the confidence level that I had at 24 when I was winning 40 matches in a row, but I feel like I hit a bigger serve, my backhand is better, my forehand is still as good as it’s ever been, I volley better than I have in the past. I think I’ve had to adapt to a new generation of players again.”
          Stotty

Comment

HIs volley was better when he was younger because he used it more often, going into net 139 times when he beat samrpas at wimbledon in 2000 in five sets at the age of 19. When is the last time any top player went into net 139 times in any match at all?

Comment

Originally posted by GeoffWilliams View Post
              HIs volley was better when he was younger because he used it more often, going into net 139 times when he beat samrpas at wimbledon in 2000 in five sets at the age of 19. When is the last time any top player went into net 139 times in any match at all?
              Yes, I thought the same.
              Stotty

Comment

Federer's performance the whole week was something special. His attacking game was strong, purposeful and applied the pressure squarely on Djokovic to come up with the goods time and time again.

Federer won 74 out of 101 Net points during the tournament.

Fed's 2nd serve return was also key. Take a look at his positioning.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton
                Attached Files

Comment

If he continues the attacking all court game, he will win the open again. He does not use dark energy ala mc or murray/serena. He just gets down to business and plays well. Too bad everyone can't be like Fed. He answered a question I had for him on his web site: "What art do you own?" He said, a local artist's name where they live in Switzerland.

Comment

Shades of Dubai…Roger Federer to the Fore

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post

Tennis is a game that is played with strokes based on repetitive motions. During the course of matches situations repeat themselves. Patterns. During the course of tennis history…patterns could be discerned from one era to another. Although the modern age of tennis is new, chaotic and uncharted. Due to the infernal intervention of man. It's only engineering…phewy. Technique my ass…it's only the size of the racquet. The strings. The sand in the courts. This was a repeat performance of the final in Dubai earlier in the year. Roger won his seventh title earlier this year in Dubai just as he did in Cincinnati last weekend. He did it by defeating the number one player in the world both times…Novak Djokovic…and he did it in conditions that were very similar. Court conditions…make a difference. Everything influences everything. On both occasions the method of Roger Federer was much the same…he maintained constant pressure on his opponent. The slightly quicker conditions not only enabled him…they encouraged him.

The racquet switch was a no-brainer. At least it was for me. It took Roger a couple of years to see the light and I wonder what Annacone's input with regard to equipment was. The coaching selection was a bit of a surprise but it was in keeping with the Federer paradigm. He needed to revive the tactics that he was brought up with in the first place and get back to the basics of playing all court tennis. Both decisions were fundamental decisions. It is no coincidence that I was recommending both a couple of years before they actually happened. You don't have to be a former Grand Slam winner to coach these guys…but it certainly helps to get your foot in the door.

The serving game of Federer is the key. If he serves well…then he is left with mop up points. He wins his serve quite handily which enables him to go to work on the other guys serve. If he can establish this pattern in a match then he is going to very tough to beat and that is precisely what he did yesterday. He threw in another wrinkle to this method of operation as he served to save something like seven break points. These were not only break points but on three occasions it may have been double break points. The ability to serve tough when you are behind in the count is doubly important.
                    I love this video that was filmed by our very own John Yandell…appropriately in Cincinnati. I never get tired of watching it. The music…tennis rendition of the "Jaws" theme.

Foreplay? Savor it. If that was foreplay then the finale runs the risk of being anti-climactic. That was sublime…a perfect storm. Roger Federer style.

We thought we had seen it all…but this time there was a little treat in store for us. At the end of the match Roger did something that I have never seen him do. He went to his box and kissed his girls, hugged his wife and hugged his buddy the Swiss Davis Cup coach. It was a beautiful scene. He did with humility, class and genuineness. Not the fakery that we are being dished up as usual. It was touching.

As for the match…it was textbook. You know what the book is too…it's William T. Tilden III. Some things never change and withstand the test of time and this is one of them. Just read Part 3 of "How to Play Better Tennis…a complete guide to tennis technique and tactics" entitled "Match Play Tactics and Tennis Psychology". Chapters 12-16 are appropriately titled respectively "Courage"…"Exploiting Your Opponents Weaknesses"…"General Tactics and Strategy"…"Outside Conditions: Weather, Court Surface, The Entire Tournament Program"…and most importantly "Maintaining Pressure on Your Opponent". In my coaching paradigm Roger Federer is the Living Proof and Bill Tilden is The Book. This match was a shining example. Thank you.

If you have the intellectual curiosity you can add "Match Play and The Spin of the Ball" and there you have it. Everything you need to know to understand all of the intricate and sublime details to understand what exactly happened in this wonderful performance once again by a champion in the twilight of his career.

Maintaining pressure on your opponent. Perfect service motions enabling the player to dominate his serve and giving him the opportunity to put pressure on his opponents. Roger went to work immediately…putting enormous pressure on the Djokovic serve while holding his own like greased lightning. Novak's service games were taking an average of over four minutes and Roger was completing his in under two. There's the game…maintaining pressure on your opponent. Keep the pressure up and the opponent is going to have to crack and crack he did…in the tie-break.

The whole psychological aspect of this match is what tennis is truly about. I know that this forum prefers wonderful elongated discussions regarding tennis technique…mostly about forehands. But here is where the game is truly played…in the head. Djokovic may or may not be at a hundred percent. But that doesn't matter a twit. What matters is the score at the end of the match and it was 7-6 (1), 6-3. Game, set and match to Mr. Federer.

Amazing that the whole tennis planet starts to salivate because of some rather standard net play and net approaches. The serving was the key…it was the gold standard once again. Federer used to be a serve and volleyer…he hasn't discovered anything. He may have found something that had been lost. The same might be said for his slice backhand…that was also instrumental in his victory yesterday, if not as obvious. It was the closest thing we are going to see to Classic Tennis…the same could be said of his match with Andy Murray.

As for the U. S. Open. We shall see what we shall see. Three our of five is a different story. If Federer can keep finishing the "foreplay" in record speed he might have a chance to be around at the end…to get to the finals. But this is the challenge…as he said in his post match interview. He has to get to the finals to have a shot at the title. That's from the horse's mouth…and what a stud that horse is.

Two things…maybe three. Equipment number one. Court surface number two. Grips and things number three. The equipment and the court surface neutralized the strong-gripped forehand, two-handed backhand, no net play or forecourt game of Novak Djokovic. Extreme will and courage neutralized the "leg advantage" of the younger Novak Djokovic (Darth Vader). Thank you Roger Federer…you validate me. This one was right out of the book and you know what the book is…the book is Tilden. Yours truly…don_budge.
                    Last edited by don_budge; 08-25-2015, 12:35 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                    don_budge
                    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Maintaining pressure on your opponent. Perfect service motions enabling the player to dominate his serve and giving him the opportunity to put pressure on his opponents. Roger went to work immediately…putting enormous pressure on the Djokovic serve while holding his own like greased lightning. Novak's service games were taking an average of over four minutes and Roger was completing his in under two. There's the game…maintaining pressure on your opponent. Keep the pressure up and the opponent is going to have to crack and crack he did…in the tie-break.
                      I think this is what Federer is doing so well...maintaining pressure on his opponents. No one can quite believe what they are seeing. It is quite incredible.

I think he has learned to hone certain parts of his game such as his serve to be even better. He NEEDS his serve now more than ever and it could be this need that has helped make his serve even better. It's psychological...deeply so perhaps.

I get the impression Roger is very relaxed. I sense he enjoys tennis more than any other player on the tour. He seems to take losing here and there in his stride and with a pinch of salt. I doubt he minds. Roger has probably gotten more out of the game (in terms of fulfilment) than anyone else I can think off. Maybe Rosewall got as much out of the game, but I am too young to have followed his career to be able to detect it.

I read recently that the essence of a truly great player lies in their slam final statistics...how many finals a player wins versus how many finals he loses: Djokovic is 8-8 in slam finals, Borg 11-5, Lendl 8-11, Federer 17-9, Agassi 8-7, Connors 8-7, Murray 2-6...Sampras 14-4...get the picture?

The theory being once a player is truly great what will define them is how they cope at the very highest level under the greatest of pressure playing for the highest stakes. This is the benchmark...perhaps the most important benchmark of all amongst great players.
                      Last edited by stotty; 08-25-2015, 01:01 PM.
                      Stotty

Comment

The only guy I know who idolizes a vicious child rapist. Believe it or not, some people think that sex with children is good for the kids and does not harm them. Forgive and forget, eh, budge? Some people believe that a man's crimes have nothing to do with his writing ability or his playing style! It didn't just start with one 14 yr. old you know. Or end with him either. Guys like you insured that so many children were raped by the priests.
                        Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 08-25-2015, 10:58 AM.

Comment

You have been warned...

Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                          What's a troll? Someone who sows discord by posting inflammatory or inaccurate messages in an online community, with the intent of provoking readers. Someone who refuses to engage in discussion when his views are questioned and cannot offer evidence to support his or her views.

So if you're able to stay in the guidelines fantastic. And if you can't you'll find your posts deleted and/or banned. These guidelines apply to our contributors, myself as well as all subscribers.

John Yandell
                          Originally posted by johnyandell View Post
                          No.

Geoff you have made your point many times. So if you need to keep reasserting it let's do it with different language.
                          The only guy I know who idolizes a vicious child rapist. Believe it or not, some people think that sex with children is good for the kids and does not harm them. Forgive and forget, eh, budge? Some people believe that a man's crimes have nothing to do with his writing ability or his playing style! It didn't just start with one 14 yr. old you know. Or end with him either.
                          Guys like you insured that so many children were raped by the priests.
                          You cross the line once again.
                          Last edited by don_budge; 08-25-2015, 11:37 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                          don_budge

Comment

You cross the line once again.
                            I think you are crossing the line don_budge with your Bill Tilden fan-boy comments.

They are very inappropriate. And, concerning.

In hockey, we've got a child rapist of note, who won several Memorial Cup Championships (and got away with a lot of things that were evil).

However, he had sex with children, raped young boys and abused his players, and was sent to prison.

His name is Graham James.

If I quoted any of his teachings, made reference to him in a positive light etc, I would likely be called before my association, banned and potentially had my coaching licenses being pulled.

Not to mention I would be boycotted by every player - parent and peer for supporting a very nasty individual.

It shocks me parents hire a guy like Pete Fisher, and associations allow people to coach who support the work of people like Tilden. I am shocked he is in the International Tennis Hall of Fame, in no other sport would that be allowed. Look at Pete Rose, and Ken Griffey.

I like the line on the International Tennis Hall of Fame ...

Despite personal shortcomings, tennis holds its heroes in the highest esteem and close to the heart. Tilden was no different. He was beloved and admired.

That makes my skin crawl.
                            Last edited by hockeyscout; 08-26-2015, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Ephebophilia

I really don't have a problem separating Tilden the tennis player from Tilden the ephebophile. Tilden was a great tennis player who had a pathetic private life. Most people recognise that.

You cannot delete someone from history simply because you view them badly. It's probably counter productive and a mistake to to so.

At the end of the day sex is a drive. Better to try and understand the root causes of such a drive in someone like Tilden (and others like him) than to delete him and pretend he never existed.
                              Last edited by stotty; 08-26-2015, 03:07 AM.
                              Stotty

Comment

Tennis Highlights from 2015 Western and Southern Open

Maintaining Pressure on Your Opponent Roger Federer Style

Roger Federer versus Andy Murray semifinals...

Roger Federer versus Novak Djokovic finals...

Last edited by don_budge; 08-26-2015, 03:22 AM.
                                don_budge

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 2615 users online. 9 members and 2606 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X