2015 U. S. Open…ATP 2000…Flushing Meadows, New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 U. S. Open…ATP 2000…Flushing Meadows, New York

On the heels of Roger Federer's stunning win in Cincinnati at the Western & Southern Championships we have the U. S. Open looming on the New York skyline. I will never forget the first time I saw the New York skyline…I uttered the words…"New York, just like I pictured it. Skyscrapers and everything". The words from Stevie Wonder's album "Inner Visions".

My friend and I pulled into a filling station in the city and we were filling the car. A baby blue Mercedes pulls up and the driver gets out of the car and he goes up to the station and opens the door to the station…ignoring the sign about the guard dog. As he opens the door the dog leaps up and bites him. The man was John Kennedy junior.

Roger's play in Cincinnati was just sublime. It was textbook…just as his victory earlier in the year was in Dubai. Both contests were two out of three set formats and this is three out of five. What a world of difference this makes. It's a totally different world…mentally and physically. For the player. After his win in Cincinatti Roger was asked about his thoughts with regard to the Open. Roger with his five victories at the Open said that his goal to get to the finals and have a shot at competing for the title. Guess who holds the record for U. S. Open titles? Bill Tilden won seven times.

The draw is not available…but Novak Djokovic is going to be seeded one and Roger by virtue of his textbook win in Cincinnati has momentarily at least overtaken Andy Murray for the second seed. He discounted this as being so important and I will take him at his word. Either way…he would have to beat the field.

Realistically it is questionable as to if Roger can compete for Grand Slam titles at this stage in his career. The last time he was in the finals was in 2009. But here he is in 2015…he is still with us. Thank you Lord.
    Last edited by don_budge; 08-27-2015, 02:48 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
    don_budge
    Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Oddsmakers have Roger as #3 favorite for title, just barely behind Murray at #2. Pretty good drop off after that to #4 favorite, Stan.

Comment

Wow, Murray vs Kyrgios, first round...

Comment

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post
        Mouthwatering first round match...

THE DRAW

Stotty

Comment

Kyrgios imo is just as dark as: child rapist tilden, Mad mac, Gonzales the screaming scowler. The reason dark energy works as fuel for competition is this: it allows a deeper avenue into physical reactions, fight of flight, kill or be killed. They don't just want to win the match, they want to kill their opponents deep down. Hatred, revenge, lustful violent power, it's all coming from their dark side. Those who idolize dark types are enablers of the dark side. It's never just about tennis, or the scripture, it's about the men who implement and enable.

If I were his coach, I'd make sure he does what serena or Murray does, mouth it, don't say it out loud, gloat scream, use dark emotion as fuel, don't drop it due to bad press, as you only care about winning any way, whether it's a dark win or not. Just win baby, (and just keep on raping babies. (Tilden, not Davis.) After all, everyone can't be Federer. We have to have some Al Davis types in the mix.

No one used a racquet in the old days. It was a 27" short sword, and an axe. You didn't win the match, you opened his intestines to the ground and left him screaming.

We've all seen students who bend over and scream at the ground, throw frames, hit themselves, make themselves bleed. You are allowed to win that way. It's just a filthy way to win. Dark energy is for people who deep down don't believe their game is good enough without it.
          Last edited by GeoffWilliams; 08-27-2015, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Federer to the Fore! Not gone…kicking ass and taking names

Originally posted by gzhpcu View Post

Yeah…I'm looking at the bottom half as well but for a different reason. None other than Roger Federer…the Living Proof of my teaching paradigm. It's tempting to project him all of the way into the semi's against Andy Murray. After last weeks performance and the previous five meetings with Murray it is tough to resist projecting him straightaway into the finals.

Without Roger in the draw this is just another humdrum affair…but this guy is just riveting…captivating. Any classic tennis player, coach or student of the game is focused on this player…there rest are window dressing. But as a side show…the Murray/Kyrgios matchup is perfect first round fodder.

I just wonder about one thing…guess what it is. I wonder about the speed of the courts. Will the USTA do the right thing and speed them up so that Federer gets one more shot at his sixth title? Is there any justice in the tennis world?
            don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
              http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...one/index.html

Yeah…I'm looking at the bottom half as well but for a different reason. None other than Roger Federer…the Living Proof of my teaching paradigm. It's tempting to project him all of the way into the semi's against Andy Murray. After last weeks performance and the previous five meetings with Murray it is tough to resist projecting him straightaway into the finals.

Without Roger in the draw this is just another humdrum affair…but this guy is just riveting…captivating. Any classic tennis player, coach or student of the game is focused on this player…there rest are window dressing. But as a side show…the Murray/Kyrgios matchup is perfect first round fodder.

I just wonder about one thing…guess what it is. I wonder about the speed of the courts. Will the USTA do the right thing and speed them up so that Federer gets one more shot at his sixth title? Is there any justice in the tennis world?
              No speeding up of the courts. I checked that out. The US Open has slightly more sand in the paint which apparently gives more traction for the player...and the ball. So it seems it will be a slower court than Cincinnati...so not good news for Federer fans.
              Stotty

Comment

Kyrgios vs. Murray
                Coric vs. Nadal
                Verdasco vs. Haas
                Nishikori vs. Paire
                Kokkinakis vs. Gasquet
                Nieminen vs. Tsonga

Interesting first round matches. Some for the storyline and the press and some for my own personal interest.

Courts slower than Cincy. Advantage Murray and Djokovic.

Berdych has a clear path to at least 4h round. Meeting with Fed in quarters...last time they played in quarters in NYC...
                https://youtu.be/pn0pTnBrWqA

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                Boca Raton

Comment

A potential upset of the tournament in round 2 for Djokovic. He has to be on his game right away for the potential match up against vasek pospisil.

Comment

Coric upsets Nadal in 1st round. Nadal then takes "hiatus" for rest of season due to an undisclosed injury. Fresh and ready for Aussie Open and clay court season in 2016.

Just a prediction.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

Elias Ymer…qualifies for U. S. Open

Swedish teenager completes Grand Slam…qualies. Elias Ymer has qualified for all four this year and he is projected for the winner of Nadal/Coric in the second round if he beats Diego Schwartzman who is ranked #94 to Ymer's #145.
                      Last edited by don_budge; 08-29-2015, 07:11 AM.
                      don_budge

Comment

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
                        Swedish teenager completes Grand Slam…qualies. Elias Ymer has qualified for all four this year and he is projected for the winner of Nadal/Coric in the second round if he beats Diego Schwartzman who is ranked #94 to Ymer's #145.
                        That's impressive. Well earned. No freebies or wild cards for him. Did it the old fashioned way.

His coach is Galo Blanco. Blanco worked with Raonic for quite some time. Respectable player back in his day as well making top 50.

Good for Elias Ymer and good for Swedish tennis. Would be great to get that country back on the tennis map.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

What the pundits say...

The TV pundits over here are say the US Open won't suit Federer as it's not only the courts that are slow, the balls are too. (not sure what ball is used...they didn't say). Djokovic doesn't like the wind and apparently he's in for loads of it judging by the forecast. Advantage Murray. He will like the slower courts and balls, plus, he spent many of his formative years playing in a howling gale in Scotland. The event is made for him it seems.
                          Stotty

Comment

Life goes on…With or Without You (tennis)

Originally posted by klacr View Post
                            Good for Elias Ymer and good for Swedish tennis. Would be great to get that country back on the tennis map.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton
                            Good for Elias but not necessarily for Swedish tennis. It appears that he has ditched the Swedish Tennis Federation for Spain…a warmer climate and better training conditions overall. Coaching? He was with the Niklas Kulti cult in Stockholm…"From Good to Great".

The Swedish tennis program has some rather daunting logistical problems. They are only daunting because of a rather short sighted vision on the part of the leadership…and their traditional way of conducting business. It would require a fundamental change in the way of thinking and this is not the Swedish forte. This also happens to be one of the traditional strengths of Swedish culture.

I don't see any progress really. Elias is actually from Ethiopia I believe and there isn't much brewing from the natives here. Tennis is in many ways a cultural phenomena and this is a prime example where tennis is not a priority in any way shape or form and is marginalized every where you turn. It is what it is…but tempting to say it is kind of sad. But that is spoken as an "outsider"…nobody else seems to care very much. Life goes on here in Sweden and that is the name of the game.

Last edited by don_budge; 08-29-2015, 08:20 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                            don_budge

Comment

That's too bad for Swedish tennis then. That Federation needs to restore the glory. Tough though when the standard and acceptable phrase is "Lagom". Happy with mediocrity and being adequate will get them no where.

Certainly the Spanish System has a proven track record. Ymer only wants what is best for his career.

But back to the US Open...
                              Top half of draw is playing Monday. Djokovic during the day, Nadal-Coric in the evening.
                              Fed, Murray, Berdych will compete on Tuesday. Which means the tournament doesn't start until Tuesday.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 3132 users online. 7 members and 3125 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                              X