No announcement yet.

2015 U. S. Open…ATP 2000…Flushing Meadows, New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McEnroe a couple of times in his US Open commentary has called Rogers game the most beautiful ever. It is hard for me to see anyone other than Novak(at his sustained best, a la Wimbledon) beating him. Of course, we have seen this before, Rodger looking like only me he can, and not winning the tournament. At Wimbledon, Novaks relentless defense looked like it had actually discouraged Roger in that last set. The only other player that to me had actally ever got Roger discouraged out there(almost giving in a bit) was Nadal.

Comment

Originally posted by stroke View Post
      McEnroe a couple of times in his US Open commentary has called Rogers game the most beautiful ever. It is hard for me to see anyone other than Novak(at his sustained best, a la Wimbledon) beating him. Of course, we have seen this before, Rodger looking like only me he can, and not winning the tournament. At Wimbledon, Novaks relentless defense looked like it had actually discouraged Roger in that last set. The only other player that to me had actally ever got Roger discouraged out there(almost giving in a bit) was Nadal.
      stroke, for the last five years at the slams we've been saying Roger looks unstoppable. Only once in the last 22 slams has he come up with the goods. Five sets is a long haul. No matter how well he plays he may not be able to beat Djokovic. Djokovic is a little bit special. He may not have as an attractive game as Roger but it's a bulletproof game and equally as good.

You are right to play Roger's chances down. I am doing the same. If we all get off his back, he might just be light enough to win that one more elusive slam that he and the rest of us craves.
      Stotty

Comment

Originally posted by licensedcoach View Post
        stroke, for the last five years at the slams we've been saying Roger looks unstoppable. Only once in the last 22 slams has he come up with the goods. Five sets is a long haul. No matter how well he plays he may not be able to beat Djokovic. Djokovic is a little bit special. He may not have as an attractive game as Roger but it's a bulletproof game and equally as good.

You are right to play Roger's chances down. I am doing the same. If we all get off his back, he might just be light enough to win that one more elusive slam that he and the rest of us craves.
        I agree. I feel Novak at his best beats Roger at his best, 3 out of 5 sets, at this point in their careers. We pretty much saw that at Wimbledon. But it is a tough task for Novak to keep that level going throughout a whole match vs Roger, particularly with the universal crowd support Roger gets. They like Novak too, just not the level of love Roger gets. That sometimes seem to bother Novak, but I do think Becker has really helped Novak here.

Comment

Feliciano is inspirational!!

I never really thought he had a chance, but he was only a few inches away from getting into a fifth set against Novak. But more than that, the way he put together a strategy and tactical plan with his weapons and utilizing attacking the net at every opportunity made me want to go out and play.

That slice backhand of his may not exactly be Roswallian, but it has more pace on it that anyone else I have seen out there right now and the way he moves through the ball as he hits it to make it an effective approach against the likes of Djokovic is just a thing of beauty.

You just don't see players working their way into the net as their approach shot floats deep into the corner. His backhand is not a liablility by any means. The problem is he doesn't have a forehand that can stand up toe to toe with the top players. But the rest is superior. Just a joy to watch.

don

And as for playing, ... then I remember that if I try those moves I won't be serving and volleying, I'll be serving and going to the emergency room!

Comment

Fascinating comments…the Feliciano Lopez game

Originally posted by tennis_chiro View Post
            I never really thought he had a chance, but he was only a few inches away from getting into a fifth set against Novak. But more than that, the way he put together a strategy and tactical plan with his weapons and utilizing attacking the net at every opportunity made me want to go out and play.

That slice backhand of his may not exactly be Roswallian, but it has more pace on it that anyone else I have seen out there right now and the way he moves through the ball as he hits it to make it an effective approach against the likes of Djokovic is just a thing of beauty.

You just don't see players working their way into the net as their approach shot floats deep into the corner. His backhand is not a liablility by any means. The problem is he doesn't have a forehand that can stand up toe to toe with the top players. But the rest is superior. Just a joy to watch.

don

And as for playing, ... then I remember that if I try those moves I won't be serving and volleying, I'll be serving and going to the emergency room!
            I watched a good bit of the match…particularly the set that Lopez won. He barely got that horse in the barn (the second set) against the ultra defence play of Djokovic.

Lopez' use of the slice backhand is a throwback to days gone by. Instead of bludgeoning opponents he sets them up with a slice and dice campaign. He is content to move his opponents from side to side and a bit up and back. He uses placement and spin in lieu of outright speed to maneuverer…spin, placement and speed being the three elements of control. Control being the ultimate power. He angles for the ball that he feels suits his tactic and patiently waits for the opportunity and then he attacks. It is a great demonstration as to how effective this shot was…and still can be.

The commentatoes too are drooling over his tactics which once were the standard operating procedure of all professional tennis players playing the all court game. Obviously yourself included. This is another enormous lesson in the power of propaganda. Lessons of the past are trivialized and made to look like a great invention of the present.

The tennis media is doing much the same with Federer. Federer is merely recapturing a little of those "Glory Days" that have that inspiring effect on you…and me for that matter. Federer's half volley return of serves remind me of the 1984 U. S. Open finals of John McEnroe and Ivan Lendl where Johnny absolutely dismantled Lendl by attacking his first serve and following it to the net behind his return. These tactics brought home the championship for McEnroe and not just an also ran loser in the quarterfinals. Feliciano is a journeyman tennis professional and his results are less than inspirational to me.

But I absolutely know what you are talking about on all levels and truly understand and appreciate what you discuss. This element of attack and subtle play is sorely missing in today's tennis and Federer himself…as gzhpcu quoted from an article earlier in this thread…

"I was able to mix it up, was attacking, was also staying back some. I was pretty much all-out attack as much as I could,” Federer said. “Obviously I have to manage that against different players when the scoreline isn't maybe so one-sided.”

Federer finished the match with 11 aces, winning 86 per cent of first-serve points and clocked 46 winners to Darcis’ eight. He won 19 of the 29 points he ventured to net. The mix of serve-volleying and chip-and-charging was a tactic he had brought back to his game.

“It would be nice to see more players doing it ’cause I think the mix of the different players and characters of those kind of players makes it cool and fun to watch,” Federer said. “Not that these unbelievable baseline rallies are not cool, but it is nice to see a guy at net and a guy trying to pass, a good net player. It's always been a fantastic thing, like Sampras and Agassi is one of those classics, or McEnroe and Borg. It was epic to watch those guys play against each other."

It's strange how the glaring omission of this type of play that used to be such a common thread in the professional game is viewed as something of an anomaly or greater. To me it speaks of a great sadness and an even greater sickness how the present is being manipulated and the past is being so quickly relegated to the dustbin. This business of every time a player reaches the top of the game he is being touted as the best ever is sheer malarky when in fact this version of the game is much inferior to that of the past. Even the equipment is an obvious giveaway. The players in the past made due with some 65 square inches of wooden real estate in their racquet heads where today's latest and the greatest have almost twice as much area of space age graphite. In a game that is largely being umpired now with electronic eyes is there anyone that is going to argue the benefits of larger equipment? Even Roger is illuminating this paradox…almost overnight he has "reinvented" his game back to his origins. All because of an additional 11% or 12% area in his racquet head.

Feliciano's backhand is a strength in the way that he is utilizing it against players that do not know how to respond to it. But as I saw on numerous occasions last night against Djokovic…when Feliciano needed to be aggressive on that side or when he needed to make a pass when Novak was coming to the net…he fell short. Woefully short. You are right too about the forehand of Feliciano…it doesn't cut the mustard. The whole thing about Feliciano is two things. Number one…he is left handed which creates a moment of indecision in every exchange…a precious moment. Number two…he is employing tactics that his opponents NEVER see. Between these two factors he starts each match…each point for that matter with his opponent somewhat off balance.

Feliciano's backhand does illustrate one very important aspect of the Djokovic game…he is somewhat vulnerable to balls that are spinning with backspin. He doesn't seem to be able to be assertive on these balls…particularly when they are played short and shorter into his court. Especially on the backhand side…he really struggle with the short sliced backhand. He inevitably drops his second hand and now he is playing one hand backhand with only one option…slicing in return. He doesn't look comfortable with this kind of ball and particularly on a faster and slicker court. This game has been engineered and tampered with so that it doesn't even resemble the original but the fundamentals do not change. Quite a paradox if you ask me…not that anyone is.
            Last edited by don_budge; 09-08-2015, 10:48 PM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

Shame for Lopez t fall short. Would have loved to seen a 5th set. That Lopez game is something isn't it? He hit a great patch of form on that 2nd set. Djokovic too strong in the end. Awesome run fom Lopez to make the quarters though. Djokovic now into his ninth straight us open semi.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
              Boca Raton

Comment

Never saw either Roger or Stan playing so well. They both demolished their adversaries. The semifinal is tough to call...

Comment

The William Tell Overture…The March of the Swiss Soldiers

Here they come…The Lone Ranger and Tonto. Galloping on their trusty steeds.

They are coming to save the day. To save us from the monotony and dreadfully boring tennis that has become the staple of the day. Novak Djokovic and Marin Cilic? I dare you to watch the match in its entirety. Stay awake. I dare you. Novak Djokovic is the best tennis player in the world today yet he is not watchable. He is uninteresting by himself and the only player that brings any life into him is Roger Federer…or perhaps Stan Wawrinka to a lesser extent. With Stan at least we have the hope of seeing Novak lose in a big match.

The March of the Swiss Soldiers…Roger Federer and Stanislas Wawrinka. What a story for the Swiss. If only the Swiss had a bit more passion…they might just be able to feel a bit of happiness for a change instead of the same old neutrality forever. Americans often mistake Sweden for Switzerland and there is something the people traditionally share with each other…its a cultural thing. With the Swedes it is a commitment to the middle of the road and with the Swiss it is the commitment to neutrality.

But these two guys are set to light up the tennis stage once more and it just may be electrifying to watch. Roger's playing…that in itself guarantees that the match will be watchable from beginning to end. Last night he played so well he had the commentatoes searching for words…trying to explain it. The dummies haven't been able to connect the dots…it's in the racquet stupid! Ever since that switch Roger has been making like a Tasmanian Devil developing his game once more. He got down to work to make it happen…resting on his laurels wasn't going to get it done. This has been a two year work in progress and he is one match away from achieving his stated goal after the Western & Southern tournament a couple of weeks ago after demolishing Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic back to back…he said his goal for this years U. S. Open was to make the finals. He wanted to put himself into position to win the tournament. Well said Maestro…it was a brilliant goal to set for himself. Never mind winning the whole thing…just get into position. Get your ass into position!

Stan and Roger have a bromance. They are a couple of the finest Swiss fellows in the whole damn country and they are Davis Cup teammates and last year they shared one of the sweetest moments in tennis together…they beat the French in the finals to snare the crown. The Davis Cup. Together as teammates, when only a week before the presstitutes had painted a picture of them embroiled in some kind of cat fight like a couple of "whiney bitches" to borrow from a couple of illustrious (snicker) forum contributors. Roger's wife supposedly said this and then Stan's wife supposedly said that. BFD…big fucking deal. Never mind that the two boys had played the best tennis match of the year in the semis of season finale at The Barclays. Never mind that the match beat up Roger so badly that he wasn't able to answer the call the next day against Novak Djokovic. The next week the men got down to business and beat the French in their own back yard.

Roger currently owns a 13-3 head to head record against Stanislas. For good reason too. Stan has made a great living playing in The Maestro's shadow and he doesn't seem to resent it one little bit…in fact you can tell he relishes it. The head to head...this you can just throw aside for now. In the last five matches that they have played since the "racquet switch" they are 3-2 to Federer. One of those losses by Stan was that thriller in London by a score of 4-6, 7-5, 7-6 (6). Too close to call you say? That performance by Stan last night must have been brilliant in its own right. I didn't see the match so I think I will watch the highlights now. Here watch it with me.

What the heck…check out Roger pinning Gasquet's ears back.

Well Roger Federer Kevin Anderson is not. Even Richard Gasquet Kevin Anderson is not. Gasquet has a 5-2 head to head against Anderson. Wawrinka is now 3-4 against Anderson. Federer is currently 4-0 against Anderson. Wawrinka is 1-2 against Gasquet while Roger is 14-2 against the same Gasquet. A great bit of ball striking by Wawrinka but by comparison of these head to heads it is obvious to who is the big time player and Federer should prevail.

He should prevail to the "March of the Swiss Soldiers" because here are two of the best one handed backhand players in the world who have a thrilling recent head to head performances not to mention their equally contentious relationship This will undoubtably make for great theatre which is what tennis is supposed to be about. Even Roger laments that this is lacking in the sport today…everybody plays the same. Unfortunately the game can no longer live up to its billing unless the main attraction is in the house. There is only one main attraction…he is the Living Proof and he isn't going to be around for ever. Savor this moment of the two Swiss Soldiers. Let's hope that Roger attains his goal for this tournament. To make the finals.

Come on Marin Cilic…a rematch of last years Open match with Roger would be just what the doctor ordered for the tournament. The heck with Djokovic.
                  Last edited by don_budge; 09-10-2015, 01:22 AM. Reason: for clarity's sake...
                  don_budge

Comment

Played the Overture all the way to the end. Bring that man Rossini out on a tennis court-- he could lose a little weight!

Comment

Kevin Anderson won 5 points in the 3rd set. 5 points!

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                      Boca Raton

Comment

Djokovic vs. Cilic

Federer vs. Wawrinka

One of these is guaranteed to happen
                        -Federer wins 18th Grand Slam Title
                        -Djokovic hits double digits in grand slams titles
                        -Wawrinka, A wimbledon title away from career grand slam
                        -Cilic wins back to back us open titles

May the best man win.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                        Boca Raton

Comment

I am betting on Federer in 4 sets against Stan... I could be wrong... (wouldn't be the first time... )

Comment

Roberta Vinci...

Awesome interview…

…awesome match. My hero…Roberta Vinci.
                            don_budge

Comment

Vinci beats Serena Williams. How? Using control, slice, willingness to come forward to the net. Incredible. Veni, Vidi, Vici, Vinci!

Slice beat power.
                              Belief beat Expectation
                              Calm beat stormy

Serena 93 points won
                              Vinci 85 points won

Backhand winners
                              SW-7
                              RV-1

Backhand Unforced errors
                              SW-22
                              RV-9

Total winners
                              SW-50
                              RV-19

Total Errors
                              SW-66
                              RV-43

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton

Comment

Same old radio station...

The last decade has been all about been about Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray. Murray isn't up there with the other three when it comes to slams, but at least he's had a considerable impact on the 1000 events. No other player has had an impact.

When you think about it, we might as well have had challenge rounds over the last decade, where the fab four go straight to the quarters and rest of the pack play for a place to meet them.

Or the fab four might just as well have broken off from the tour and started a head-to-head series like the good old days. It feels like the game has gone full circle in that regard. In the 50's Gonzales, Hoad, Segura, Sedgman became too good for the rest.

Federer and Djokovic are playing well but sometimes it just feels like there just aren't the quality of players to give them a game. Federer will be able to play until he's 40 at this rate.

I think Wawrinka must have a chance if he has one of his purple days. But I think Phil might be right...Federer in four. I don't think Cilic has anything to trouble Djokovic...not really.

Time will tell...will it be the same old, same old final...or will there be an upset?

Serena lost. Everyone in the club where I work is delighted. It seems everyone is glad when she loses.
                                Last edited by stotty; 09-11-2015, 11:06 PM.
                                Stotty

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 9075 users online. 7 members and 9068 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X