2015 U. S. Open…ATP 2000…Flushing Meadows, New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by don_budge View Post
    The Swedish tennis program has some rather daunting logistical problems. They are only daunting because of a rather short sighted vision on the part of the leadership…and their traditional way of conducting business. It would require a fundamental change in the way of thinking and this is not the Swedish forte. This also happens to be one of the traditional strengths of Swedish culture.
    From my limited (but not too limited) personal experience, you have a very good take on Swedish culture.

Comment

Benoit Paire upsets Nishikori in 5 sets.

Just can't buy stock in Nishikori. As soon as I try to like him and appreciate his ability and belive he's on the cusp, he pulls up lame again.

Credit to Paire and his eclectic game.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
      Boca Raton

Comment

Originally posted by klacr View Post
        Benoit Paire upsets Nishikori in 5 sets.

Just can't buy stock in Nishikori. As soon as I try to like him and appreciate his ability and belive he's on the cusp, he pulls up lame again.

Credit to Paire and his eclectic game.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
        Boca Raton
        Well he is talented that Paire...extremely so. Up until now he's been unwilling to suffer...dig deep enough. The last two matches I have watched of him he's looked better in that department. So maybe he's on the cusp of breaking further up the ranks. Shame about his forehand....
        Stotty

Comment

Benoit Paire is immensely talented. I spoke to my friend Cyril Saulnier today. he was top 50 on ATP at a point in his career. He's familiar with the french players and especially Benoit Paire. Cyril's old coach was the coach of Paire for quite some time. Cyril and I exchanged texts today and said he was shocked and so impressed. said he didn't know how he did it considering Benoit Paire does not even train. Bad diet and piss poor work ethic. And yes, Cyril also mentioned the forehand.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
          Boca Raton

Comment

The French Tennis…Benoit Paire

Benoit Paire is immensely talented. I spoke to my friend Cyril Saulnier today. he was top 50 on ATP at a point in his career. He's familiar with the french players and especially Benoit Paire. Cyril's old coach was the coach of Paire for quite some time. Cyril and I exchanged texts today and said he was shocked and so impressed. said he didn't know how he did it considering Benoit Paire does not even train. Bad diet and piss poor work ethic. And yes, Cyril also mentioned the forehand.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
            Boca Raton
            Here we go with that talent discussion again…

But I did see the tie-break in the fourth set and the fifth set of that match on EuroSport here in Sweden. Nishikori had two match points in the tie-break that Paire just sort of brushed aside and then he just brushed aside "The Samurai Kid" in the final set. Actually he pummelled him with backhand after backhand. He was just pounding that backhand…and the serve as well. Paire was very nonchalant about the fifth set as if the outcome was already set.

The forehand is a bit unorthodox by todays standards. Even the backhand is somewhat "homemade". On top of this the mental game seems to be rather lax or lackadaisical too. He has had some "explosive" results but the consistency hasn't been there. Paire made some rather clever shots in the last set as well as demonstrating a surprising affinity for net play. He's another guy on my long list that probably should have been trained more in the all court game. The serve appears to be very solid.

Here is another French player in the top echelon of the game…a total of eleven in the main draw at the Open this year compared to eleven Spaniards and fifteen Americans. Each of the French seems to have their own take on the game. All of them unique and distinct. I wonder if they are on the verge of some sort of dominance in the sport. They certainly have the numbers.
            Last edited by don_budge; 08-31-2015, 09:36 PM.
            don_budge
            Performance Analysthttps://www.tennisplayer.net/bulleti...ilies/cool.png

Comment

I haven't seen any matches at the US Open as I no longer have SKY TV. I will have to look into this streaming business...or maybe there is pay per view somewhere.

It's tough for me to get up for tennis right now. I watch the news and get depressed. The Islamic State have been destroying so many ancient historical sights that are so beautiful and of such great historical importance. It's mindless vandalism on an epic scale. I felt completely broken yesterday just watching the newsreels.

Places like Afghanistan and Syria cannot be repaired once the lid is off. Powder kegs. My father always told me you can never sort that lot out...just bunches of tribes that cannot be governed other than by merciless dictatorship.

I better go and stream some tennis to cheer myself up....
              Last edited by stotty; 09-01-2015, 08:03 AM.
              Stotty

Comment

???

Kyle,

Is Berdych trying to win the ugliest men's attire contest. Each is worse that the previous. I hope he plays better than he picks outfits!

Comment

Originally posted by vrc10s View Post
                  Kyle,

Is Berdych trying to win the ugliest men's attire contest. Each is worse that the previous. I hope he plays better than he picks outfits!
                  Berdych's outfit has been ordered and on its way to Boca!
                  There is a special corner of my walk-in closet that holds all my Berdych H&M clothing.
                  It's not about the style, it's about the freedom to express yourself. Seeing the world...in color. Dare to be different. Is the outfit attractive or appealing? Hell no! But you gotta support your players anyway you can.

Berdych saw me at least year's US Open wearing one of his shirts. A quick glance and nod of respect was exchanged.

Remember Berdych's sky blue outfit from this year's Aussie Open? I modeled it it tennisplayer.net in my last article on Great Lessons.
                  http://www.tennisplayer.net/members/...great_lessons/

Tberd has an easy draw. 4th round should be smooth sailing. Quarters vs. Roger the test.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                  Boca Raton

Comment

Talking points:
                    Novak and Roger look good.
                    Donald Young into the 3rd round.
                    Jack Sock succumbs to heat and cramps vs. Ruben Bemelmans.
                    Isner wins. Karlovic loses.
                    Andy Murray getting pushed to 5 by Adrian Mannarino.
                    Stan Wawrinka beats Korean teenager in 3 tie-break sets.
                    My #1 wife Ana Ivanovic lost in first round. My #1A wife Maria Sharapova didn't even play.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                    Boca Raton

Comment

I am not watching the US Open (why can't I stream live from the US Open website like you guys can?!) but I can tell a lot by the scorelines. Roger and Novak are cruising....Murray stuttering....Nadal still struggling. That's all I need to know right now.

Roger cruising is a good thing. The less energy he expends at 34 in the early rounds, the better.
                      Stotty

Comment

From the ATP website:

I was able to mix it up, was attacking, was also staying back some. I was pretty much all-out attack as much as I could,” Federer said. “Obviously I have to manage that against different players when the scoreline isn't maybe so one-sided.”

Federer finished the match with 11 aces, winning 86 per cent of first-serve points and clocked 46 winners to Darcis’ eight. He won 19 of the 29 points he ventured to net. The mix of serve-volleying and chip-and-charging was a tactic he had brought back to his game.

“It would be nice to see more players doing it ’cause I think the mix of the different players and characters of those kind of players makes it cool and fun to watch,” Federer said. “Not that these unbelievable baseline rallies are not cool, but it is nice to see a guy at net and a guy trying to pass, a good net player. It's always been a fantastic thing, like Sampras and Agassi is one of those classics, or McEnroe and Borg. It was epic to watch those guys play against each other.

Comment

Federer looked like he was playing in an exhibition last night. Really special stuff. Crowd was stunned at the shotmaking. Roger is Roger. Always great to watch.

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                          Boca Raton

Comment

Rafael Nadal blows two set lead to Fabio Fognini. When all looked to be in total control, the mercurial Italian stepped it up and won sets 3,4,5 to take the victory. Fognini decided to embrace the net in those winning sets. He won 39 out of 54 points when he got to the net. He also did something no one else could do against a great frontrunner like Nadal. Come back from 2-0 down in sets. Before that match, Nadal was 148-0 in grand slams when he won the first two sets. Now make that 148-1. (Note: Rafa lost an 2-0 set lead in finals of Miami in 2005 to Federer)

Fognini next plays Feliciano Lopez. Lopez a favorite of mine as well as to others on this forum. Lopez took our Raonic in straights. Raonic has not been 100% since Spring since he suffered a foot injury.

Djokovic played an entertaining match vs. an in-form Seppi but the Serb made it through in straights.
                            Ferrer upset by Frenchman Jeremy Chardy.
                            Young Belgian upset by Roberto Bautista Agut after retiring in the 4th set.
                            The 2nd quarter (top half) of the draw is wide open. Paire, Tsonga, Cilic or Chardy will be in the semis of the US Open. Great opportunity for Cilic to make another run and defend those 2000 points from last year, although I think he will fall just short. No way he can get that magic back that he had last year. Right?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                            Boca Raton
                            Last edited by klacr; 09-05-2015, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Rafael Nadal blows two set lead to Fabio Fognini. When all looked to be in total control, the mercurial Italian stepped it up and won sets 3,4,5 to take the victory. Fognini decided to embrace the net in those winning sets. He won 39 out of 54 points when he got to the net. He also did something no one else could do against a great frontrunner like Nadal. Come back from 2-0 down in sets. Before that match, Nadal was 148-0 in grand slams when he won the first two sets. Now make that 148-1. (Note: Rafa lost an 2-0 set lead in finals of Miami in 2005 to Federer)

Fognini next plays Feliciano Lopez. Lopez a favorite of mine as well as to others on this forum. Lopez took our Raonic in straights. Raonic has not been 100% since Spring since he suffered a foot injury.

Djokovic played an entertaining match vs. an in-form Seppi but the Serb made it through in straights.
                              Ferrer upset by Frenchman Jeremy Chardy.
                              Young Belgian upset by Roberto Bautista Agut after retiring in the 4th set.
                              The 2nd quarter (top half) of the draw is wide open. Paire, Tsonga, Cilic or Chardy will be in the semis of the US Open. Great opportunity for Cilic to make another run and defend those 2000 points from last year, although I think he will fall just short. No way he can get that magic back that he had last year. Right?

Kyle LaCroix USPTA
                              Boca Raton
                              Wow! I Turned The Match Off BecUse I Figured It Was Over. First Set Was Closer Than Everyone Realized. Fognini Is A Psychological Mastermind. Nadal Is Probably The Greatest Player To Ever Play The Game Who Now Does Promos With Models....

Don't See Cilic Repeating; I Wasn't Impressed With His Semi Final Wimbledon Performance Against Novak And Though He Looks Good At The Open, I Think He Will Fall Short. He Does't Have The Same Fire That The Retired Wimbledon Champion Goran Had Either. Everyone Has There Own Style Though.

Picking Federer To win This Year!

Comment

Federer has really been impressive. Tonight, Kohlschreiber. Should be no problem.

Comment

Who's Online

Collapse

There are currently 8685 users online. 5 members and 8680 guests.

Most users ever online was 31,715 at 05:06 AM on 03-05-2024.

Working...
                                X